Why Suzanne Ciani hates Eurorack? (Or how I learned to stop worrying and love my performance modules)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

luchog
Crazy Pony

Re: Why Suzanne Ciani hates Eurorack? (Or how I learned to stop worrying and love my performance modules)

Post by luchog » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:49 am

mritenburg wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:12 pm
antonriehl wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:57 pm
But, it still makes me wonder if there are ways to address some of this with more performance oriented modules? I know some people color code their cabling, but I don't always find that useful myself...
My personal opinion is that the best feedback for what is going on in a patch is what is coming out of your speakers. I think anyone who has been using modular for a while develops an intuitive sense of their particular collection of modules and only need their ears to tell them what is going on in a patch.
Definitely not true for everyone. I'm a very visually-oriented person (more of a visual artist than a musician, though I trained in music first); and having that visual feedback is extremely useful to me to gauge what is going on in a particular patch. Having oscilloscopes and level modules -- such as the Paratek visualization utilities -- help a lot.

Part of the problem with Euro is that everything is so small, and so frequently lacking in clear visual aids, makes it hard to know at a glance where things are; which is why so many people tend to play it as set-and-forget, or use external controllers with more obvious feedback.

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Why Suzanne Ciani hates Eurorack? (Or how I learned to stop worrying and love my performance modules)

Post by bc3 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:03 am

While I do appreciate what she has accomplished in her many years of using electronic instruments, IMO she seems to come off a little "snobbish" when interviewed in recent years. Oh well, life goes on...

advrsry
Common Wiggler

Post by advrsry » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:30 am

I honestly don't think she said anything snobbish in the video, and IMHO, many people would be well served to look into the techniques she developed for her performances and try to apply whichever system they are using and whatever they think of her output.

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:43 pm

cafe-de-la-jungle wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:11 am
For what is worth, I think that Eurorack is fantastic with its variety of modules, rebirth of some old designs and some totally new inspiring stuff.
As per interface, it also matters what resonate with you. Some people want immediacy and clear layouts, but some people like to dive into modules, or even write some code. That is great with the euro! Won`t find it anywhere else. IMHO it does not matter if Suzanne like it or not, it matters if you do :)
I have to second this. The world of eurorack is amazing and inventive, and in a golden era at the moment.

I remember looking at Doepfer modules and Blacet modules around 2000. I was trying to decide. And I went with Blacet and Fracrack, it was cheaper and easier to get a hold of. If I could have seen this future I would have gone Doepfer.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:31 pm

Having watched the video, the title's definitely clickbait. She says nothing of the sort. But I'm grateful for the opportunity to hear her explain her work. I blagged a few of those ideas and made myself a sweet little patch with them. :tu:

benofbrown
Common Wiggler

Post by benofbrown » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:36 pm

advrsry wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:30 am
I honestly don't think she said anything snobbish in the video, and IMHO, many people would be well served to look into the techniques she developed for her performances and try to apply whichever system they are using and whatever they think of her output.
Totally agree.

I watched this a month or two ago and found it inspiring, totally agree she doesn't come across snobbish at all, and have already used some of those techniques in a few patches.

myfinekilt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by myfinekilt » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:39 pm

AFAISee, the term feedback which she mentioned about the buchla modules, is yes, the lights, numericals etc that give a visual ref to composer.

It seemed in her mind, that euro was still stuck in the doepfer vanilla module phase, of course which it isn't!

Aside from 1 menu divey module if that's it, I have 9U of both analog and digital: and of which 2 have no lights etc. (both filters)

Things have changed rather exponentially in euro offerings lately, which is far from what I could say about her live excursions. (already commented above in thread)

Proof in point, I studied quad, spatial language up to 7:1 etc and masters like stockhausen for my MA Sonic Arts, and personally find her live use of the techniques a bit bland tbh.

Still respect what she has done for the game and still going, but as a retired movie technician too, I'd also agree she's a bit inflated at times. Comes with the territory.
-----------------------------------------

www.floa0.bandcamp.com

antonriehl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by antonriehl » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:11 pm

Thanks all for the useful feedback! This does help point me in the direction I was looking for, and gives me thoughts about what I might want to do for live performances. I feel like 2 year of wiggling has taught me a lot about synthesis in general, and there is still just a lot more to learn. I am finding the interfaces I like, and the ones I don't like as much (menu diving seems like a pain, even though I do like the results of some modules that do it, but I can't imagine doing that live...)
Fog Door wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:46 am
Ridiculous title really.
Yes, it is. I think everybody who knows about her can understand why SC would not choose to use Eurorack but to suggest she hates it is groundless. OP would make a terrific journalist ;)
Oh no... I'm a terrible writer... haha... apparently my bad satirical humor wasn't appreciated this time around...
In case it isn't clear, I never thought SC actually hated Eurorack, and really just wanted to know how to improve my own performance skills, and felt like this last section of this video could have been expanded/clarified.
DSC wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:16 pm
antonriehl wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:23 pm
I've never taken my gear for performance specifically, and feel like there is a weird performance anxiety I feel even when preparing to record something in my studio.
The anxiety will 'go away' with enough practice, time and lots of fine tuning :tu:
You will actually enjoy all the happy accidents, as opposed to worry about them.

Thanks for this comment. It is encouraging to hear that. :)

mulder
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mulder » Fri May 01, 2020 12:26 pm

I keep thinking about this post.. :despair:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”