TRS/TS cables

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Beeper85
Learning to Wiggle

TRS/TS cables

Post by Beeper85 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:01 pm

Hi!

I'm new here, but hoping for some explanation/help...

So, if I connect my rack (straight from VCA) to Tascam 424 mkiii using a TRS 3.5mm to a TRS 1/4 adapter, I get a terrible hum. If I run a TS patch cable instead from the rack to mixer adapter, there is no hum.

The Tascam says it's inputs are 1/4 TS.

Is it right that it behaves this way if I use the (incorrect) cabling described above?

Ordered a 3.5 to 1/4 TS cable which I hope will sort my problems but keen to understand if this behaviour is correct or not?

Thanks!

Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience

Re: TRS/TS cables

Post by Naenyn » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:32 pm

Which channel on the Tascam are you plugging in to?

I’d always thought that using TRS cables to connect to mono or unbalanced jacks was an an ok thing, but maybe I’m mistaken.

This link seems like relevant reading.
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on MuffWiggler's Discord

Beeper85
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Beeper85 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:42 am

Thanks. I've been reading all sorts. Some say it is ok to use TRS whereas others others say that using interconnect cables that are incorrect will intro hum etc.

So I wonder if that's my issue - using a TRS cable from rack (which is unbalanced) to Tascam 424 iii input 4 which should be a TS 1/4 input.

Not sure of the reasons for this - I thought a TRS cable would work!

Edit: typos
Last edited by Beeper85 on Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:02 am

It depends on the device. You aren't getting any benefit in any case. The VCA is unbalanced out and the Tascam is unbalanced in. Use an unbalance TS cable and you should be fine.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:14 am

The use of 3.5mmTRS plugs on *some* 3.5mm mono jacks in Euro is problematic. Some 3.5mm jacks with plastic bushings used by some Euro makers, have the ground connection in the location that the Ring would be in a TRS plug. This is true with all Cliff jacks used in early Doepfer and many plastic bushing jacks in use today. Here is a drawing that shows the positions on a Cliff jack.
TRS-Plugs-vs-Cliff-jacks.jpg
If a 3.5mm TRS plug is used with one of these jacks, the ground will not be connected on the other end. If the other end has a mono adaptor that shorts the ring to the tip, then you are shorting out the ground to the tip at that end. If it is a balanced connector, then the ring will have the ground, the tip will have the positive, and the neutral will not be connected at all.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Beeper85
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Beeper85 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:16 am

Thanks! This is really informative, thanks

Return to “Eurorack Modules”