Best random generator for musical phrases

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Bachelard
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Best randon generator for musical phrases

Post by Bachelard » Wed May 06, 2020 10:05 am

windchill wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:30 am
cptnal wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:45 am
A couple of unsynced LFOs into a mixer and into a quantizer. Reset one or both LFOs with divisions of the master clock for repeatable phrases.
This!
Loads of potential for building on it too: one LFO modulating another, running multiple LFOs into a mixer or min/max, running an LFO through a wavefolder, mixing multiple square wave LFOs to create stepped patterns, etc.
Brillaint. This is how I like to use my modular. Like, you know, patching a bunch of modules together and seeing the magic of their interactions.

I have the Marbles and it’s brilliant. The Rungler on the Benjolin is also fantastic, with or without a quantizer, Also +1 for any Nonlinearcircuits for random - I haven’t tried the Cellular Automata, but I did have an 8-bit Cipher and really liked what came out of it.

Also, an oldie but a goodie - Snazzy FX Telephone Game.

yellowecho
Common Wiggler

Re: Best random generator for musical phrases

Post by yellowecho » Wed May 06, 2020 10:20 am

My favorite to use is a turing maching (Permutation) into a quantizer.
Rene with master time on one axis and random on the other is great too.

mmontazeri
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mmontazeri » Wed May 06, 2020 10:23 am

tokidoki wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:40 am
In the modular world melody is a wide spectrum word. Melody is the high-flying bird over a solid moving base, according to my vision. A bliss. I like the formula musical phrases for my state of work, it's a good beginning, simple and clearer. Lots of musical phrases in this experience with SHs, LFOs, clock dividers, probalistic gates choppers, quantizers, sequencers, switchers and others I don't remember, it was last summer. For me these are not melodies, but I tried to hunt one, or two. Lots of randomness, yes. I still try to find a way to have the modular playing by itself along bases composed on an external hardware sequencer. Like a musician improvising melodies on given themes. So is this experience a little step to this goal. The sounds are from an external expander, but every note is coming from the modular.
My english is not perfect, I'm from Outland.

Would love to hear more about your approach.

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Wed May 06, 2020 12:08 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:00 am
The new meloDICER from Vermona looks intriguing:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/vermona-melodicer
Man, I wonder if they screwed up the name of that module.
Maybe it should have a Z in the name.

OK, one more thing. I think timing or what has been called phrasing in this thread is rather important.
I enjoy stringing together a bunch of simple modules to make complex timing.
Use several dividers, a couple of switches and maybe a pattern generator or two.
Dividers like a-160 (plus a-161 for fun), switches like a-151 and a-150 and pattern generators like Grids, PNW and 2hp Euclid.
Set grids to output gates (or use a ladik gate modifiers), and divide the already syncopated output with a-161.
Switches can be used as logic gates, it is just that whatever signal you put through them becomes the divided "logic" output.
Ladik and others have dividers that have a knob for division ratio rather than a bunch of jacks.
These make for a much more "playable" automatic music box.
And when it comes to "playable" do not discount manual switches like Doepfer a-182-1
I imagine Euclidian circles would be very useful for timing, but I only have a pair of Grids and some 2HP stuff like Euclid and Arp.
Clep Diaz is a great module for making staircase LFOs as I call it.
Mix all of this together and you will end up with "automatic music"
That does not mean you will enjoy listening to it :doh:
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

Keltie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Keltie » Wed May 06, 2020 12:40 pm

Foghorn wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:08 pm
mdoudoroff wrote:
Man, I wonder if they screwed up the name of that module.
Maybe it should have a Z in the name.

OK, one more thing. I think timing or what has been called phrasing in this thread is rather important.
I enjoy stringing together a bunch of simple modules to make complex timing.
Use several dividers, a couple of switches and maybe a pattern generator or two.
Dividers like a-160 (plus a-161 for fun), switches like a-151 and a-150 and pattern generators like Grids, PNW and 2hp Euclid.
Set grids to output gates (or use a ladik gate modifiers), and divide the already syncopated output with a-161.
Switches can be used as logic gates, it is just that whatever signal you put through them becomes the divided "logic" output.
Ladik and others have dividers that have a knob for division ratio rather than a bunch of jacks.
These make for a much more "playable" automatic music box.
And when it comes to "playable" do not discount manual switches like Doepfer a-182-1
I imagine Euclidian circles would be very useful for timing, but I only have a pair of Grids and some 2HP stuff like Euclid and Arp.
Clep Diaz is a great module for making staircase LFOs as I call it.
Mix all of this together and you will end up with "automatic music"
That does not mean you will enjoy listening to it :doh:

Can confirm, Euclidean Circles is an absolute beast for timing and sequence variation via S/H etc.

everythingcontinues
Learning to Wiggle

Post by everythingcontinues » Wed May 06, 2020 2:22 pm

Seems like people are pretty hot and cold on Marbles. I got it recently, so there could be a honeymoon phase effect, but I absolutely love it.

I pretty quickly installed the new firmware that enables the super lock feature. A workflow I quickly got into is locking both t and X to whatever pattern length I’m looking for (or just starting with a length and going from there), dialing in the rhythm with t’s controls / re-seeding and re-locking, then moving over to the X side to deal with the pitches.

Having all the different combinations of Spread, Bias and Steps that can I experiment with but always get back to what I like with the section locked, with the option to re-seed new patterns to get a workable base always at hand by unlocking and locking again, has consistently and quickly gotten me to delightful results. I can dial in the pattern I like and find variations by finding other sweet spots on the settings.

Once I establish the core loop and a few variations, I’ll sequence or find some way to bounce around those. For more serendipity, I’ll sequence or have some kind of modulation push the Deja Vu setting a bit beyond 12:00 every now and again, often with one of t or X super locked so that only one lets the variations through. I love that clockwise beyond 12:00 on Deja Vu gives temporary permutations while retaining the original pattern back at 12:00. Self-modulating within Marbles itself can also be great for accomplishing these things.

I find that developing a core pattern or phase, being able to always get back to that, and creating both predictable and unpredictable variations on that idea with control over when they’re predictable vs not is the method that jives with the way I work. For that, I’ve found Marbles to be absolutely brilliant.

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Thu May 07, 2020 4:49 am

mdoudoroff wrote:
Absolutely, thx for that! Immediately ordered!

khyber
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khyber » Thu May 07, 2020 10:18 am

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Thu May 07, 2020 10:57 am

Indeed. Vermona is a bit too pricey for me.

What a great thread. You are amazing guys.
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

mcpepe
Common Wiggler

Post by mcpepe » Fri May 08, 2020 7:19 am

Yes. It is indeed a great thread. I am learning a lot, though I don't have most of the modules you are talking about, but I think I can do similar things with the modules I own.

:yay: :yay: :yay:

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Fri May 08, 2020 10:58 am

If you don't mind an out of the rack solution + MIDI to CV converter, NDLR is a beast for randomly generated musical phrases--

Especially considering its modulation matrix and price :love:

Oh and it’s also a chord sequencer, and it has CV clock in and out with tap tempo.

pyrolator
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pyrolator » Tue May 19, 2020 11:59 am

The MeloDicer is perfect for my taste of controlled randomness. I like the way you can combine stored pattern and restart them at different time-divisions, with the live generated variations...

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Tue May 19, 2020 1:17 pm

Jaypee wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:07 am
Call me lazy hehe but sometimes I just want to focus purely on sound design aspect of my patch. I'm looking for 'something' to generate cv pitch and gate/trigger. Needs to be synced to a tempo, or a division of it, or a mix of both. So I can use the outcome in my production.

Cheapest and maybe a more 'modular approach' option would be : white noise, s&h, attenuverter, quantizer and a couple of Euclidean rhytmn mixed together with probability engaged.

What is your approach?

Anyone 'works' like this? I.e. recording everything and wait for happy accidents happen?

Looking forward to read you!

Cheers,
J.
Does it have to be random? Random usually isn’t too musical. With the modules you mentioned, I’d put noise through a S&H, mix it with a lfo, then into quantizer. The lfo gives the random values a little structure, a gentle rise and fall. CV the lfo for more structured variation.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Tue May 19, 2020 1:21 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:02 pm
versipellis wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:07 pm
I challenge the notion that "random" == "musical". I've pretty tried most of the more well-known random and pseudorandom generators, including Tuesday, o_C/Hemisphere ASRs, Turing Machine, Marbles, Mimetic Digitalis, Bloom, to name a few. None of them really come close to "immediately musical", rather, are more like random bleeps and bloops. Yes, even when quantized.

random might not be for everyone, might just not be your style.
but i dont see how you can say it cant be musical. for example, at the most basic level - 4 looping randomly generated quantized notes in one or two octaves in a four step sequence, how could it possibly NOT be musical?
the nature of randomly generated material might just not led itself well to the kind of music that you make, but that doesn't mean it cant be "musical" in general.
Random processes can create fine melodies. The problem in eurorack now is that it’s usually not possible to move away from the melody, develop it, and return. Returning to a theme is the primary root function of musical form. With Marbles/Turing Machine/etc., once you turn a knob and give up your melody it’s gone forever and there is no satisfying refrain.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Tue May 19, 2020 1:31 pm

electricanada wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:21 pm
brandonlogic wrote:
versipellis wrote:
I challenge the notion that "random" == "musical". I've pretty tried most of the more well-known random and pseudorandom generators, including Tuesday, o_C/Hemisphere ASRs, Turing Machine, Marbles, Mimetic Digitalis, Bloom, to name a few. None of them really come close to "immediately musical", rather, are more like random bleeps and bloops. Yes, even when quantized.

but i dont see how you can say it cant be musical. for example, at the most basic level - 4 looping randomly generated quantized notes in one or two octaves in a four step sequence, how could it possibly NOT be musical?
the nature of randomly generated material might just not led itself well to the kind of music that you make, but that doesn't mean it cant be "musical" in general.
Random processes can create fine melodies. The problem in eurorack now is that it’s usually not possible to move away from the melody, develop it, and return. Returning to a theme is the primary root function of musical form. With Marbles/Turing Machine/etc., once you turn a knob and give up your melody it’s gone forever and there is no satisfying refrain.

thats a good point, but i think the fact that it can loop is enough to call it "musical."
not all music as to comeback to a previous or original phrase, it can continue to evolve. sure it traditionally does but its not necessary.
also, if you have multiple random loops, like the ornament and crime's four channel turing machine for example, + a sequential switch, you could have four different random loops running and switch between them as needed.
you can also use modules that record cv in to capture the random melodies and save them for later. I have actually done this with Nerdseq and Marbles. I spend a couple hours playing with marbles and any time i ran into a sequence i liked recorded them onto the nerdseq.
i can now recall them any time i want and i can construct a complex arrangement out of the patterns.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Tue May 19, 2020 1:41 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:31 pm
electricanada wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:
versipellis wrote:

thats a good point, but i think the fact that it can loop is enough to call it "musical."
not all music as to comeback to a previous or original phrase, it can continue to evolve. sure it traditionally does but its not necessary.
also, if you have multiple random loops, like the ornament and crime's four channel turing machine for example, + a sequential switch, you could have four different random loops running and switch between them as needed.
you can also use modules that record cv in to capture the random melodies and save them for later. I have actually done this with Nerdseq and Marbles. I spend a couple hours playing with marbles and any time i ran into a sequence i liked recorded them onto the nerdseq.
i can now recall them any time i want and i can construct a complex arrangement out of the patterns.
Sure, through-composition is a valid form. But I feel frustrated when I can’t implement other forms. I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about form in modular, and eventually realized that I prefer randomness for modulation more than melody. I like your solutions though. I have an OC, and will experiment with that trick. Muchas gracias!

nomass
Common Wiggler

Post by nomass » Tue May 19, 2020 3:38 pm

I like the
Plan B Heisenberg because the stepped out does not have truly random timing. It was designed to be more musical. I hesitate to mention it because there was so much trauma and grief w/ Plan B. If you find a used one, examine it closely. There were build issues with some of this stuff, but I got a good one.

kinkycables
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkycables » Tue May 19, 2020 4:05 pm

electricanada wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:
versipellis wrote:

Take a look at the Qubit Bloom. Defined and/or random sequences with the ability to return to a set point.

Lux A Turner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Lux A Turner » Tue May 19, 2020 8:23 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:31 pm
electricanada wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:
versipellis wrote:

I agree with all of this to some extent.

No: a truly random sequence (of notes) will probably not sound musical by itself, but as soon as you quantise it, it ceases to be truly random. This is not pedantry; what modular (especially Eurorack) does very well, is offer ways of controlling chaos and reining-in randomness, to produce a more 'musical' result. What ultimately constitutes 'musical' depends on a wide range of other factors, not least the patch itself.

No: random composition is not an instant gratification thing, but it can be very gratifying when it comes together. Before I started spending long nights awake with a modular, I used to spend long nights awake with a very chaotic VST setup (which I still occasionally play with). I've never totally understood how it works, but have learnt the basics of taming it over a few years and managed to get some good results from it. Good training for Marbles.

I hated Marbles the first time I played with it in VCV Rack, but I'm very glad I got one in the end. I use it a lot for controlling modulation and would get a second one purely for that purpose, if I had the space; it also pairs brilliantly with the Morphagene. And you CAN get back to your 'root sequence' in Marbles BTW. Once you've found it, just use the Spread and Bias controls (maybe with a bit of scale carving) to search for other sweet spots, to develop and evolve the track. When you have those, then you can either wiggle between them manually or work out a way of sequencing them. But you CAN return to your root sequence, just by repostioning the knobs.

So... Marbles it is, then :hyper: I loved the Bloom concept, but that thing about having to pause to step edit (or something) put me off buying one. That Stochastic thingy looks very interesting, though.
It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack (a work in progress)

blaythe.steuer
Common Wiggler

Post by blaythe.steuer » Tue May 19, 2020 10:01 pm

honestly just putting stuff in to quantizers has been fun for me. really anything and bonus points if it’s resetable and therefore repeatable pattern wise :)!

wiggies
Common Wiggler

Post by wiggies » Tue May 19, 2020 10:29 pm

Lately I've been playing with the NLC Bindubba sequencer, which has a 4x4 grid of knobs to control 16 steps. Movement is controlled by separate x- and y-axis clocks, so varying the clocks varies the pattern. I've been using two channels of Grids to clock the sequencer and then using slow LFOs to modulate the x- and y- on Grids. Not random, of course, but there are complex patterns that emerge unexpectedly.

In my current patch, I took the outputs from Bindubba (one slewed, one inverted) and fed them back into Grids, which clocks the sequencer. This feedback loop sometimes would settle into a repeating pattern but I figured out the modulating the amount of slew would eventually knock it loose.

If I run the outputs into a precision adder that is running a slow step sequence from something like Stages I can add some transposition.

All of this going into the O&C quantizers.

everythingcontinues
Learning to Wiggle

Post by everythingcontinues » Tue May 19, 2020 10:45 pm

electricanada wrote:
... With Marbles/Turing Machine/etc., once you turn a knob and give up your melody it’s gone forever and there is no satisfying refrain.
With Marbles, depending on which knob you turn, this may or may not be correct, which is one of the things I love about the module. If you lock one or both sides to something you like and turn any knob other than Deja Vu (and even with that there are different behaviors depending on whether you go CW or CCW, and with the new firmware you can super lock one or both sides), you can get back to what you locked by going back to the position of wherever all the other parameters were at when you first locked it.

I generally find there are enough options to find at least one useful variation within Spread, Bias, Steps, etc on whatever I've locked to move to and back to my original phrase.

There are also plenty of opportunities for switching from what you have to something else (a complimentary phrase programmed into a sequencer) and back.

dragulasbruder
Common Wiggler

Post by dragulasbruder » Sun May 24, 2020 12:03 am

Possibly unwelcome opinion: my favorite "musical random source" is an E350 Morphing Terrarium (but any two-output wavetable oscillator will work), a good solid dual sample/hold (O_C incredibly useful in this scenario) and an AND gate. Play this right and you can get a sick generative music station in somewhere around 20-26hp. When you don't want generative/random, these are incredibly useful modules in any application (same cannot be said of any single-purpose random source).

350XY out to SH #1 input, 350Z out to SH #2 input. Clock SH #2 with a clock, lfo, or pattern generator. SH#2 output is AND gated with whatever is clocking it. AND gate out clocks SH #1. SH #1 output feeds oscillator pitch (or quantizer if that's how you play), AND gate output feeds EGs/gate destinations.

Messing around with the 350 tuning and wavetables will get you patterns--modulate the pitch and wavetable positions to get variations. Clamp down (or sequence) the CV to return to patterns you like. Feedback patching between the wavetable outputs and FM/Morph inputs is a ton of fun, too. Switching the wavetables or the oscillator range gets you a cool alternate sequence that you can flip on and off immediately, great for a fill. Sync can be incredibly helpful for getting reliably repeatable results if you have a spare clock divider (especially one with CV control of divisions). Any tap-tempo or clockable LFO will work wonders as a modulation or sync source (or both!)

The temptation of Eurorack is to think of modules as a one-stop shop for a desired function and not a system of interrelated patch-programmable components. A recipe for predictable music and an empty wallet, if you ask me.
Now offering sliding-scale SYNTHESIS and AUDIO PRODUCTION LESSONS during the pandemic--please PM for details!

WTB Wish List: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1224624

MY MUSIC: https://www.soundcloud.com/wish-fulfillment

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Sun May 24, 2020 3:14 am

dragulasbruder wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:03 am
350XY out to SH #1 input, 350Z out to SH #2 input. Clock SH #2 with a clock, lfo, or pattern generator. SH#2 output is AND gated with whatever is clocking it. AND gate out clocks SH #1. SH #1 output feeds oscillator pitch (or quantizer if that's how you play), AND gate output feeds EGs/gate destinations.
Nifty idea! I guess what's happening is that when SH#2's output crosses the threshold of the AND gate you get a trigger for SH#1. So by extension, if you added a comparator you'd have control over where that threshold lies... :hmm:

Bachelard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bachelard » Sun May 24, 2020 8:32 am

dragulasbruder wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:03 am
Possibly unwelcome opinion: my favorite "musical random source" is an E350 Morphing Terrarium (but any two-output wavetable oscillator will work), a good solid dual sample/hold (O_C incredibly useful in this scenario) and an AND gate. Play this right and you can get a sick generative music station in somewhere around 20-26hp. When you don't want generative/random, these are incredibly useful modules in any application (same cannot be said of any single-purpose random source).

Messing around with the 350 tuning and wavetables will get you patterns--modulate the pitch and wavetable positions to get variations. Clamp down (or sequence) the CV to return to patterns you like. Feedback patching between the wavetable outputs and FM/Morph inputs is a ton of fun, too. Switching the wavetables or the oscillator range gets you a cool alternate sequence that you can flip on and off immediately, great for a fill. Sync can be incredibly helpful for getting reliably repeatable results if you have a spare clock divider (especially one with CV control of divisions). Any tap-tempo or clockable LFO will work wonders as a modulation or sync source (or both!)

The temptation of Eurorack is to think of modules as a one-stop shop for a desired function and not a system of interrelated patch-programmable components. A recipe for predictable music and an empty wallet, if you ask me.
Amen. Brilliant patch tip. This is how I approach Euro/modular as well - compiling simpler modules and make connections among them to get interesting things. It's so much for fun, flexible, and rewarding that way. I find designers are also moving in the opposite direction, trying to make huge multi-function modules that does everything, with screens and menus rather than sticking to the Doepfer spirit. I might as well work on my laptop + a controller and not have to worry about storage, memory, or visual feedback. The only exception to that for me *might* be a beefy, complex and versatile sequencer (still dreaming of getting my hands on a Five12 Vector), but even then there are many ways to "make" a more complex sequencer out of smaller sequencers, mixers, sequential switches, clock processors, etc.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”