Buy Maths, just buy Maths

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Randy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Buy Maths, just buy Maths

Post by Randy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:52 pm

One of the first modules I bought based on the popularity of it, and one of the first modules I got rid of. For me at least, non-intuitive, didn't like the graphics (I know, it's an acquired taste) and just couldn't make much use of it. I'm not a fan of the MN graphics overall and have sold most of the MN modules I had. Still have a Function, kinda miss my DPO and STO but have never missed Maths.

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:08 pm

Maths backwards is shtaM

Tenderosa
Common Wiggler

Post by Tenderosa » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:20 pm

dandandaaan wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:18 pm
nostalghia wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:41 am
For anyone that is only using their Maths for one or two of the many things it's capable of, or if you just want to explore some more unusual capabilities, here's a link to the "Illustrated Supplement (for V2)" if you haven't already seen it: http://w2.mat.ucsb.edu/mat276n/resources/systems/CREATE_teachingSynth/manuals/8c_Maths2013-V1.11-printable.pdf

35 interesting things you can do with Maths, showing how to patch/set knobs, many with pic showing what output looks like on a scope.
Came for the memes, stayed for the genuinely super useful content. Thanks!!
Thanks from me too, I've got that PDF but had forgotten about it. Like some above, I got one early one because it seemed a good idea & learning to use it was an education in modular concepts. So I ended up with a Function as well :-)

Jbrooks_il
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jbrooks_il » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:20 pm

aaronshaver wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:25 pm
So far trying to avoid it since folks sell em and then buy em again. Which clearly suggests ya gotta know what’s up, and I never seem to.

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:44 pm

Jbrooks_il wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:20 pm
aaronshaver wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:25 pm
So far trying to avoid it since folks sell em and then buy em again. Which clearly suggests ya gotta know what’s up, and I never seem to.
i sold mine to buy a calculus book

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:02 am

As a new wiggler for about a year now I also started with Maths because of it‘s popularity. But even though regularly occurring hard waves of gas madness it always stays in the rack. Pure witchcraft ... :despair:

I can‘t help myself, but when I remove Maths it feels like there is missing something. For me as a new wiggler it has such a huge amount of helpful functions (e.g. mixing, modulating, generating and attenuating trigger events or cvs), and I‘ve only scratched at the surface till now.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:10 am

P.s. if anything this thread reminded me that I should check out the Falistri. :tu: :tu:

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:34 am

I got Maths as a part of the shared system as a beginner 2 years ago.

For probably one year, as I was learning modular basics, I only used it for enveloppes and LFOs (and maybe a trick from the manual once in a while, like the bouncing ball)

Then later, as I was more comfortable with the modular approach, I realized I was needing attenuverters in a lot of patches and, oh joy, maths has 4 channels of attenuverters.

Now, after 2 years of playing with the Shared system, I'm discovering the fun of introducing a slew limiter for some portamento, modulating enveloppes rise and fall, using an enveloppe follower for deriving CV and even gates, using EOR/EOC to delay an incoming trigger, etc. All things Maths does so I don't need to buy dedicated modules

And I know I'm barely scratching the surface, there's also the logic and mixer aspects I'm not really using yet, just maybe the mixer to add an offset.

Bottom line is; Maths is a deep module. I don't agree it's a complex one, all the basic functions are pretty simple and easy to understand. It's just there are a lot and it's a lot to integrate for a newbie, and jumping straight into a tutorial showing everything is daunting and will discourage you. But if you just learn new functions once in a while, it's really a beautifully simple yet deep module. Also I have 0 desire to get rid of it because I realize now every time I want to try a new modular trick, Maths can probably help me achieve it. It encourages me to think out of the box and think in terms of basic CV functions, which is a must for modular workflow. Everything in signal processing (sound, triggers, CV, enveloppes, pitch) is just voltage functions over time and Maths is one of the best voltage utility available.

You don't have to buy one, but you sure are missing a lot if you don't have one, or bounce off it because of the panel or because it scares you. HP/cost/functions wise I don't thing anything beats it today. If you have access to an ocilloscope it also really helps in learning how it works

I love my Maths and I will always have one in my rack

aaronshaver
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aaronshaver » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:00 am

In all seriousness, I spent time yesterday looking at Tides, Quadrax, Stages, etc. Finally, I came across this video:

Maths Without Maths

which made me realize how much value for the money and HP you get with Maths.

I'm still getting a replacement panel, though. Can't stand the original look.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:19 am

I avoided getting a Maths for a while specifically because it was popular. Then one time when I was down in NYC I stopped by Control, played with it for a bit, and realized that it's actually a great module. Believe me when I say that I understand not wanting something because it's the popular choice, but there are some things that are popular for good reasons.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:43 am

maffs laffs at the stubborn giraffes with heads in the air missing all the functions possible to see on the oscope graphs.

racked up it sits, and the heady wigglers in their cockpits, with wet armpits, blown away by the benefits of CV it transmits.

*snaps snaps snaps*

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:48 pm

ggillon wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:34 am
I got Maths as a part of the shared system as a beginner 2 years ago.

For probably one year, as I was learning modular basics, I only used it for enveloppes and LFOs (and maybe a trick from the manual once in a while, like the bouncing ball)

Then later, as I was more comfortable with the modular approach, I realized I was needing attenuverters in a lot of patches and, oh joy, maths has 4 channels of attenuverters.

Now, after 2 years of playing with the Shared system, I'm discovering the fun of introducing a slew limiter for some portamento, modulating enveloppes rise and fall, using an enveloppe follower for deriving CV and even gates, using EOR/EOC to delay an incoming trigger, etc. All things Maths does so I don't need to buy dedicated modules

And I know I'm barely scratching the surface, there's also the logic and mixer aspects I'm not really using yet, just maybe the mixer to add an offset.

Bottom line is; Maths is a deep module. I don't agree it's a complex one, all the basic functions are pretty simple and easy to understand. It's just there are a lot and it's a lot to integrate for a newbie, and jumping straight into a tutorial showing everything is daunting and will discourage you. But if you just learn new functions once in a while, it's really a beautifully simple yet deep module. Also I have 0 desire to get rid of it because I realize now every time I want to try a new modular trick, Maths can probably help me achieve it. It encourages me to think out of the box and think in terms of basic CV functions, which is a must for modular workflow. Everything in signal processing (sound, triggers, CV, enveloppes, pitch) is just voltage functions over time and Maths is one of the best voltage utility available.

You don't have to buy one, but you sure are missing a lot if you don't have one, or bounce off it because of the panel or because it scares you. HP/cost/functions wise I don't thing anything beats it today. If you have access to an ocilloscope it also really helps in learning how it works

I love my Maths and I will always have one in my rack
Boy I used it last week as a clock divider for the first time 8-)

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:52 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:10 am
We’ve been here before. Too bad the forum can’t intercept.

- Nobody is obliged to have Maths in their rack
- Anyone could benefit from having Maths in their rack (universality)
- Plenty of alternatives exist; you might need to combine more than one module, but some of those modules might be awesome designs of their own (e.g., Joranalogue)
- Maths is an unusually good value in terms of $, functionality and even HP
- Maths is also a particularly good learning tool

Further reading:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=58807
viewtopic.php?t=28393
viewtopic.php?t=196512
viewtopic.php?t=45787
viewtopic.php?t=164126
viewtopic.php?t=188897
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=220934
viewtopic.php?t=225270
viewtopic.php?t=212170
It's like a group therapy, people need to tell their story and experiences. It's nothing new just from time to
Good to have a place where you can share it...

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:01 pm

I think Maths is great. I have wondered why it can’t be smaller. As I think about it it does have many jacks and knobs. You could probably make it a little smaller but not a whole lot smaller without hurting usage.

This post makes no opinion on whether you should buy Maths or not.

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:03 pm

aaronshaver wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:00 am
In all seriousness, I spent time yesterday looking at Tides, Quadrax, Stages, etc. Finally, I came across this video:

Maths Without Maths

which made me realize how much value for the money and HP you get with Maths.

I'm still getting a replacement panel, though. Can't stand the original look.
This really interesting. I totally agree the graphics design of Make Noise stuff is not helping me understand how to operate their devices.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:29 am

Bought and sold a lot of MN modules (DPO, Function, RxMx, Phonogene, Echophon, Wogglebug 1/2, MMG, PP + Brains, ErbeVerb, Optomix 1), but Maths stayed.
Its just very handy and easy to do stuff.

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:20 am

I mean, I have been doing modular stuff since before Maths was around and I still haven't gotten one. I think I am doing pretty alright.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

msegarra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by msegarra » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:50 am

I own maths do I need to buy another?

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:59 am

msegarra wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:50 am
I own maths do I need to buy another?

I dunno, have you done the maths?

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:33 pm

One would have to be a Mathsmagician to figure all of that out... so I just went ahead and got a second one. I was looking at getting a comparator, but Maths can do that. When I fried my two Waveforms oscillators Maths got me by until I got the parts to fix them. Every time I'm wishing I had another (a, b, or c) I look up and (often) find out Maths can do that!

Maths and Disting are two great utility bang for the buck modules IMHO!

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:58 am

Parnelli wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:33 pm
One would have to be a Mathsmagician to figure all of that out... so I just went ahead and got a second one. I was looking at getting a comparator, but Maths can do that. When I fried my two Waveforms oscillators Maths got me by until I got the parts to fix them. Every time I'm wishing I had another (a, b, or c) I look up and (often) find out Maths can do that!

Maths and Disting are two great utility bang for the buck modules IMHO!
A 20hp Disting with direct knob and i/o access to its (say}) 20 or even 15 most used features would be :deadbanana: :deadbanana: :deadbanana: :deadbanana: :deadbanana:

Tofumaster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tofumaster » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:12 am

You know what I did? I bought a Maths! It will be here Wednesday.
I have worked enough to compensate for the unnatural cues that I receive. I am tired. :bang:

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:03 am

Tofumaster wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:12 am
You know what I did? I bought a Maths! It will be here Wednesday.
Congratulations! :party:

All you need now is... another Maths. :sb:

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:08 am

lol

I would never say it is a bad module--got plenty of legitimate uses. I just don't understand or agree with this blind obsession with MN, especially with the more conformist "hipster" set. There are many other ways to do similar things.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:12 am

metasonix wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:08 am
lol

I would never say it is a bad module--got plenty of legitimate uses. I just don't understand or agree with this blind obsession with MN, especially with the more conformist "hipster" set. There are many other ways to do similar things.
I always thought hipsters hate popular stuff, so logically it must be more hipster to dis Make Noise...? :hmm:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”