Eurorack starter kits

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
AC-130U
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:25 pm

Eurorack starter kits

Post by AC-130U » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:51 pm

Erica Synths has the techno kit and liquid sky dada noise kit. Both available from Sweetwater et al.

Those kits are the only ones that I know besides make noise kits.

I have not seen starter eurorack setups other than these.

Are there any others out there?

What dealers/sellers allow you to build up a setup and make payments on it? I am thinking of either one of those kits or going with a build similar to one of my dream builds on modulargrid.

AC-130U

User avatar
joem
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 963
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:07 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Eurorack starter kits

Post by joem » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:00 pm

Pittsburgh Modular has a few. I started my modular fun with one of theirs they don't make anymore ("system 10.1+" or something like that), and their current ones are even better.

I would also argue that the Moog Mother-32 and the Behringer semi-modulars are also starter kits, perhaps even moreso than the ones previously named in this thread.

User avatar
loopt
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 540
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:16 am

Re: Eurorack starter kits

Post by loopt » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:09 pm

How about the Doepfer standard systems?

sierraoskar
Common Wiggler
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:36 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Eurorack starter kits

Post by sierraoskar » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:12 pm

There is the Doepfer A-100 system? The Mother-32 and Behringer Neutron were mentioned and in that vein you have the Pittsburgh Lifeforms systems — I bought the SV-1 semi-modular as a starting point, for example.

AC-130U
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:25 pm

Re: Eurorack starter kits

Post by AC-130U » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:13 pm

loopt wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:09 pm
How about the Doepfer standard systems?
Haven't thought of those.

What i envision doing is ambient and techno type sounds and music. A mix of east coast and West coast methodologies.

AC-130U

User avatar
Schrank
Common Wiggler
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:40 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: Eurorack starter kits

Post by Schrank » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:13 pm


User avatar
loopt
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 540
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:16 am

Re: Eurorack starter kits

Post by loopt » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:08 pm

AC-130U wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:13 pm
What i envision doing is ambient and techno type sounds and music. A mix of east coast and West coast methodologies.
I'd suggest holding back the urge of buying something pre-configured. Instant gratification is rare with modular synths.
Wait a few months (could even be a year). Research which sounds and workflows you are looking for and how to get there.
Learn by reading this forum, its archive and watch modular content on Youtube. Daily.
Put funds aside while you are doing the above.
And if you feel you know what you want, build your instrument by combining sonic and musical concepts that appeal. Step by step.

AC-130U
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:25 pm

Re: Eurorack starter kits

Post by AC-130U » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:16 pm

loopt wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:08 pm
AC-130U wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:13 pm
What i envision doing is ambient and techno type sounds and music. A mix of east coast and West coast methodologies.
I'd suggest holding back the urge of buying something pre-configured. Instant gratification is rare with modular synths.
Wait a few months (could even be a year). Research which sounds and workflows you are looking for and how to get there.
Learn by reading this forum, its archive and watch modular content on Youtube. Daily.
Put funds aside while you are doing the above.
And if you feel you know what you want, build your instrument by combining sonic and musical concepts that appeal. Step by step.
Okay... so let's say I used the cost of the dada sound setup as a guide:

Would you say go with what I came up with on modulargrid and "make payments" towards that setup (in essence saving up the money for it) and buy just enough modules to interface with vcv rack and start that way?

AC-130U

User avatar
loopt
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 540
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:16 am

Re: Eurorack starter kits

Post by loopt » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:33 pm

AC-130U wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:16 pm
...dada sound setup...came up with on modulargrid...
I've never heard of the dada sound setup and I do not know what you came up with on Modulargrid.
But I guess what I suggested would still apply?

AC-130U
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:25 pm

Re: Eurorack starter kits

Post by AC-130U » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:46 pm

loopt wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:33 pm
AC-130U wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:16 pm
...dada sound setup...came up with on modulargrid...
I've never heard of the dada sound setup and I do not know what you came up with on Modulargrid.
But I guess what I suggested would still apply?
Erica synth liquid sky dada sound system is what I meant.

An example of my modulargrid setup would be something akin to https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/255091 (I currently have just the braids and l-1 tube via, both not yet built. This rack is in a state of flux as I learn more on vcv rack).

User avatar
Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1070
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:47 am
Location: UK

Re: Eurorack starter kits

Post by Kattefjaes » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:55 pm

AC-130U wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:46 pm
An example of my modulargrid setup would be something akin to https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/255091 (I currently have just the braids and l-1 tube via, both not yet built. This rack is in a state of flux as I learn more on vcv rack).
My kneejerk response, rather than anything useful or detailed, is...

Two Rampages, yet no Maths? :hmm:

AC-130U
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:25 pm

Re: Eurorack starter kits

Post by AC-130U » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:01 pm

My kneejerk response, rather than anything useful or detailed, is...

Two Rampages, yet no Maths? :hmm:
LOL only because I use it in vcv a lot and understand it a little better than maths (Yes, vcv has floats, a maths equivalent that is a 3rd party addon). I haven't really played with maths that much (Not much opportunity to).

blakeq
Common Wiggler
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Eurorack starter kits

Post by blakeq » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:30 pm

This would be a great place to start and is as affordable as it gets for eurorack:


https://www.cre8audio.com/niftybundle

User avatar
Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1070
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:47 am
Location: UK

Re: Eurorack starter kits

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:35 am

AC-130U wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:01 pm
My kneejerk response, rather than anything useful or detailed, is...

Two Rampages, yet no Maths? :hmm:
LOL only because I use it in vcv a lot and understand it a little better than maths (Yes, vcv has floats, a maths equivalent that is a 3rd party addon). I haven't really played with maths that much (Not much opportunity to).
Yeah, fair enough- isn't that Maths-alike for vcv surprisingly expensive for what it is, too?

Anyway, the real hardware is very cool, if you can get past the ugly graphics on the front panel. I love that a module that does loads of sensible modulation stuff became so runaway popular, it may actually deserve all the enthusiasm.

User avatar
deke
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:48 am

Re: Eurorack starter kits

Post by deke » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:45 am

loopt wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:08 pm
AC-130U wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:13 pm
What i envision doing is ambient and techno type sounds and music. A mix of east coast and West coast methodologies.
I'd suggest holding back the urge of buying something pre-configured. Instant gratification is rare with modular synths.
Wait a few months (could even be a year). Research which sounds and workflows you are looking for and how to get there.
Learn by reading this forum, its archive and watch modular content on Youtube. Daily.
Put funds aside while you are doing the above.
And if you feel you know what you want, build your instrument by combining sonic and musical concepts that appeal. Step by step.
This is super wise advice, but requires an almost saintly level of delayed gratification! I failed this test. I started with an 0-Coast and SQ-1 then added a Mother 32. In retrospect, while I like and still have and use these with my modular, I think I could have learned much more with spending the same amount on one of the Erica Synth or Pittsburgh Modular kits. I think any of those would have helped me break down and understand the basics and much better understand what modules I would enjoy and use in a larger rack. In effect, semi-modular is great, but it is not quite modular. It's tough out there, but maybe one thing to accept is almost like any other instrument, you will never get it right the first time. For example, I play guitar. No guitarist alive ever picked the right guitars, amps or pedals the first time. Still, you can be a much more educated consumer with the threads here, videos, demos as well as so many of the tutorials pinned in the Eurorack section here. Also, using some of the software based virtual modulars could be very useful too.

AC-130U
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:25 pm

Re: Eurorack starter kits

Post by AC-130U » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:33 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:35 am
AC-130U wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:01 pm
My kneejerk response, rather than anything useful or detailed, is...

Two Rampages, yet no Maths? :hmm:
LOL only because I use it in vcv a lot and understand it a little better than maths (Yes, vcv has floats, a maths equivalent that is a 3rd party addon). I haven't really played with maths that much (Not much opportunity to).
Yeah, fair enough- isn't that Maths-alike for vcv surprisingly expensive for what it is, too?

Anyway, the real hardware is very cool, if you can get past the ugly graphics on the front panel. I love that a module that does loads of sensible modulation stuff became so runaway popular, it may actually deserve all the enthusiasm.
$15, but the layout on it is a little confusing just like the real thing LOL. If I got the real thing, I'll be getting a different faceplate that is easier to make sense of.

AC-130U

AC-130U
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:25 pm

Re: Eurorack starter kits

Post by AC-130U » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:37 pm

deke wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:45 am
loopt wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:08 pm
AC-130U wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:13 pm
What i envision doing is ambient and techno type sounds and music. A mix of east coast and West coast methodologies.
I'd suggest holding back the urge of buying something pre-configured. Instant gratification is rare with modular synths.
Wait a few months (could even be a year). Research which sounds and workflows you are looking for and how to get there.
Learn by reading this forum, its archive and watch modular content on Youtube. Daily.
Put funds aside while you are doing the above.
And if you feel you know what you want, build your instrument by combining sonic and musical concepts that appeal. Step by step.
This is super wise advice, but requires an almost saintly level of delayed gratification! I failed this test. I started with an 0-Coast and SQ-1 then added a Mother 32. In retrospect, while I like and still have and use these with my modular, I think I could have learned much more with spending the same amount on one of the Erica Synth or Pittsburgh Modular kits. I think any of those would have helped me break down and understand the basics and much better understand what modules I would enjoy and use in a larger rack. In effect, semi-modular is great, but it is not quite modular. It's tough out there, but maybe one thing to accept is almost like any other instrument, you will never get it right the first time. For example, I play guitar. No guitarist alive ever picked the right guitars, amps or pedals the first time. Still, you can be a much more educated consumer with the threads here, videos, demos as well as so many of the tutorials pinned in the Eurorack section here. Also, using some of the software based virtual modulars could be very useful too.
That's why I bought the L-1 VCA and Mutant Braids PCB+panel kit. Thought I'd start with those, and then maaaaybe the Vult Freak filter (I use this often enough in VCV). I gotta build the case first though!

AC-130U

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1885
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Re: Eurorack starter kits

Post by R.U.Nuts » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:56 am

loopt wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:08 pm
AC-130U wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:13 pm
What i envision doing is ambient and techno type sounds and music. A mix of east coast and West coast methodologies.
I'd suggest holding back the urge of buying something pre-configured. Instant gratification is rare with modular synths.
Wait a few months (could even be a year). Research which sounds and workflows you are looking for and how to get there.
Learn by reading this forum, its archive and watch modular content on Youtube. Daily.
Put funds aside while you are doing the above.
And if you feel you know what you want, build your instrument by combining sonic and musical concepts that appeal. Step by step.
I think this approach is a little outdated. It was probably right a few years ago when modular synths weren't as accessible as they are now. Especially since there are all those pre configured starter systems available now.
The approach of going slow and building a system from scratch has several downsides:
- You won't be putting your hands on a capable fully functional system for a while unless you at least gathered a certain collection of modules and you'll be messing around with a bunch of modules that just doesn't deliver any satisfying musical results.
- You won't get hands on experiences with a proper synth system
- You waste a lot of time you could spend making some noise and learn while window shopping online stores and second hand market places.
- You make ill informed descisions buying stuff that people reccomend just because they own and like it.
- You waste more time getting rid of disappointing modules.

I'd say get a nice starter system, make some noise with it, learn, build upon your growing experience using that starter system, add new stuff based on descisions you made by playing your system, get rid of stuff you don't need.

User avatar
Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1070
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:47 am
Location: UK

Re: Eurorack starter kits

Post by Kattefjaes » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:35 am

AC-130U wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:33 pm
Kattefjaes wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:35 am
AC-130U wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:01 pm
My kneejerk response, rather than anything useful or detailed, is...

Two Rampages, yet no Maths? :hmm:
LOL only because I use it in vcv a lot and understand it a little better than maths (Yes, vcv has floats, a maths equivalent that is a 3rd party addon). I haven't really played with maths that much (Not much opportunity to).
Yeah, fair enough- isn't that Maths-alike for vcv surprisingly expensive for what it is, too?

Anyway, the real hardware is very cool, if you can get past the ugly graphics on the front panel. I love that a module that does loads of sensible modulation stuff became so runaway popular, it may actually deserve all the enthusiasm.
$15, but the layout on it is a little confusing just like the real thing LOL. If I got the real thing, I'll be getting a different faceplate that is easier to make sense of.

AC-130U
I feel like I should do that, but I'm too stubborn to admit that the ugly graphics slow me down :lol:

User avatar
loopt
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 540
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:16 am

Re: Eurorack starter kits

Post by loopt » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:03 am

deke wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:45 am
This is super wise advice, but requires an almost saintly level of delayed gratification!
Don't take my post too literally. It was meant as an inspiration towards a different way of approaching things.
R.U.Nuts wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:56 am
- You won't be putting your hands on a capable fully functional system for a while unless you at least gathered a certain collection of modules and you'll be messing around with a bunch of modules that just doesn't deliver any satisfying musical results.
- You won't get hands on experiences with a proper synth system
- You waste a lot of time you could spend making some noise and learn while window shopping online stores and second hand market places.
- You make ill informed descisions buying stuff that people reccomend just because they own and like it.
- You waste more time getting rid of disappointing modules.
If you wait and learn you get a better chance of starting with a capable, fully functional system, tailored to YOUR needs with less modules to get rid of afterwards because your decisions will be better informed. A capable system doesn't have to be large.
Recommendations are difficult because most of the times you don't know the background of the person. Use them as a pointer to listen to demos and to understand the functionality of a module.

But who knows, maybe one of the starter systems will be a perfect fit. But I doubt it.

User avatar
deke
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:48 am

Re: Eurorack starter kits

Post by deke » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:11 am

loopt wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:03 am
deke wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:45 am
This is super wise advice, but requires an almost saintly level of delayed gratification!
Don't take my post too literally. It was meant as an inspiration towards a different way of approaching things.
R.U.Nuts wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:56 am
- You won't be putting your hands on a capable fully functional system for a while unless you at least gathered a certain collection of modules and you'll be messing around with a bunch of modules that just doesn't deliver any satisfying musical results.
- You won't get hands on experiences with a proper synth system
- You waste a lot of time you could spend making some noise and learn while window shopping online stores and second hand market places.
- You make ill informed descisions buying stuff that people reccomend just because they own and like it.
- You waste more time getting rid of disappointing modules.
If you wait and learn you get a better chance of starting with a capable, fully functional system, tailored to YOUR needs with less modules to get rid of afterwards because your decisions will be better informed. A capable system doesn't have to be large.
Recommendations are difficult because most of the times you don't know the background of the person. Use them as a pointer to listen to demos and to understand the functionality of a module.

But who knows, maybe one of the starter systems will be a perfect fit. But I doubt it.
I still think you are wise :-) How about starting by putting together a set of tried and true modules that almost anyone would end up wanting forever? Analog VCO, VCA, LFO, ADSR (or ASR, AR...), filter, attenuator, and a Disting to try everyone else out. For sequencing, maybe something like a SQ-1, and/or a quantizer to generate sequences from an LFO or noise. If I look back on my experience here, this would have been much smarter than my diving into a rack - though I only have about $1000 of regret modules - nice, but not what I really needed. Then again, I suppose there are 1000 opinions on which specific "basic" modules to get, though there are some that stand out, from each category. LFO- Batumi. Utility - Triatt maybe? Per my guitar analogy before, the one thing super different with modular is there is rarely a store you can go to and try this stuff out. Alas, if only there was an analog to sitting in a music store, day after day, playing different guitars, pedals and amps...

User avatar
loopt
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 540
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:16 am

Re: Eurorack starter kits

Post by loopt » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:23 am

deke wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:11 am
I still think you are wise :-)
Thank you. But rest assured: I'm not. :hihi:
deke wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:11 am
How about starting by putting together a set of tried and true modules that almost anyone would end up wanting forever? Analog VCO, VCA, LFO, ADSR (or ASR, AR...), filter, attenuator, and a Disting to try everyone else out.
You see, that's showing the problem with "standard" modules.
For me it would be a complex !digital! oscillator, an LPG (it's also a vca, but I rarely ever use it as plain vca) and a Serge/Buchla-like function generator. Different.
But when you are new to modular synths, you rarely know that the stuff many people think is essential may not be optimal for you.

User avatar
deke
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:48 am

Re: Eurorack starter kits

Post by deke » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:22 am

loopt wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:23 am
deke wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:11 am
I still think you are wise :-)
Thank you. But rest assured: I'm not. :hihi:
deke wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:11 am
How about starting by putting together a set of tried and true modules that almost anyone would end up wanting forever? Analog VCO, VCA, LFO, ADSR (or ASR, AR...), filter, attenuator, and a Disting to try everyone else out.
You see, that's showing the problem with "standard" modules.
For me it would be a complex !digital! oscillator, an LPG (it's also a vca, but I rarely ever use it as plain vca) and a Serge/Buchla-like function generator. Different.
But when you are new to modular synths, you rarely know that the stuff many people think is essential may not be optimal for you.
Well, once again a wise observation! I guess there is no easy path to all this. Too many choices, too much information, but that can be part of the fun.

User avatar
intuitionnyc
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:45 pm
Location: NY

Re: Eurorack starter kits

Post by intuitionnyc » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:39 am

If you had an 0-Coast and a Mother-32, that should be a great foundation and education into building a custom modular system. IMO, a 0-Coast and Mother-32 are basically “starter systems.” They are semi-modular but that’s okay.

Think about what you don’t like about those two (or should I say what you feel is missing). Once you assess, think about how to get the things you feel you are missing out on.

Research some modules and go on modulargrid.net. I find that’s a nice way to sketch out ideas on a custom system.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and buy used if you can. It will cut down on costs.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1885
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Re: Eurorack starter kits

Post by R.U.Nuts » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:17 am

loopt wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:03 am
deke wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:45 am
This is super wise advice, but requires an almost saintly level of delayed gratification!
Don't take my post too literally. It was meant as an inspiration towards a different way of approaching things.
R.U.Nuts wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:56 am
- You won't be putting your hands on a capable fully functional system for a while unless you at least gathered a certain collection of modules and you'll be messing around with a bunch of modules that just doesn't deliver any satisfying musical results.
- You won't get hands on experiences with a proper synth system
- You waste a lot of time you could spend making some noise and learn while window shopping online stores and second hand market places.
- You make ill informed descisions buying stuff that people reccomend just because they own and like it.
- You waste more time getting rid of disappointing modules.
If you wait and learn you get a better chance of starting with a capable, fully functional system, tailored to YOUR needs with less modules to get rid of afterwards because your decisions will be better informed. A capable system doesn't have to be large.
Recommendations are difficult because most of the times you don't know the background of the person. Use them as a pointer to listen to demos and to understand the functionality of a module.

But who knows, maybe one of the starter systems will be a perfect fit. But I doubt it.
I don't think there's any better way to learn playing an Instrument than actually playing it. So choose something and commit to it.
The Idea of gathering Info and shopping around for your perfect system will eventually lead you to developing a habit of binge watching Youtube videos and hanging out at Reverb and Ebay while thinking this is good practise in order to learn to make music with your modular synth.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”