Behringer System 55

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

blw
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Behringer System 55

Post by blw » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:25 pm

Yes, using s-trig seems absurd. I’d love to have been a fly on the wall for the meeting where they made that decision. Do they think people are going to buy these to expand their vintage Moog’s or something? Or they were just too lazy to bother making them compatible with other modules?
Last edited by blw on Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Synthacon
Common Wiggler

Post by Synthacon » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:06 pm

Be nice if they did 901 stuff not just 921. Throwing together a System 1 interests me.
You always want just one more synth

Ceres
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ceres » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:47 pm

Synthacon wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:06 pm
Be nice if they did 901 stuff not just 921. Throwing together a System 1 interests me.
Do you think these will be accurate clones? I suspect Behringer will not be overly pedantic about these containing original components and circuits, I suspect they are fine with deviations.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:22 pm

I’ve bought a TD3 and may go for a system 100... only because I can compare it to an original....

And some of these modules seem fantastic...

I need to hear them first though obviously.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

SyndieBot2000XL
Common Wiggler

Post by SyndieBot2000XL » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:34 pm

Ceres wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:47 pm
Do you think these will be accurate clones? I suspect Behringer will not be overly pedantic about these containing original components and circuits, I suspect they are fine with deviations.
Like the eg on the bro-1, there will probably be stuff that is easier or cheaper for them to emulate in software. We’ll have a better idea once prices are announced. Someone upthread pointed out that the Fixed Filter Bank almost certainly doesn’t use inductors - but maybe these are meant to be a more upscale system to the 100m clone’s budget offerings?
It began as a mistake.

nios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nios » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:44 pm

The System 55 modules are so simplistic and primitive that I'd really not be interested in mixing these in standalone with modern gear, and either fill in a separate vintage-themed case solely for these or not, all-or-nothing. The System 100m stuff has some at least passably-useful features some modules (most are way too big for what they do etc), but these, well, they show their age being plopped into the Eurorack format with their whopping CV-over-nothing as opposed to CV-over-everything being the modern ideal.

I'd be excited about the filter bank if it wasn't already functionally cloned and with more functions than this. However tons of people not familiar with the Euro environment will go "wow that's a bargain of a lifetime, reproducing a $30,000 synth for (presumably 1-2k)!!" and buy them. Which is a sensible idea though for netting the widest attention from non-modular people, so of course they do that, and of course the sound of these things will be the ultimate judge.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:46 pm

Bob Borries wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:42 pm
In fairness, will admit this one gave my pony a little gallop. The 960 is wonderful simple sequencer and a lot of HP in 5U. Not sure of any 960 in euro.

Singular pieces like this are nice. It's the Galactus eat all planets of it that makes people annoyed, myself included.

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:06 pm

Just think how cheap these things will be used when entry point modular synthesists realize they are monofunctional relics

Ceres
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ceres » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:12 pm

SyndieBot2000XL wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:34 pm
Ceres wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:47 pm
Like the eg on the bro-1, there will probably be stuff that is easier or cheaper for them to emulate in software. We’ll have a better idea once prices are announced. Someone upthread pointed out that the Fixed Filter Bank almost certainly doesn’t use inductors - but maybe these are meant to be a more upscale system to the 100m clone’s budget offerings?
My point was that being concerned about 901 vs 921 shows a lot of optimism and places a lot of weight that they would even get the 921 sound just right. It’s probably much more realistic to hope that these get you somewhere in the OG moog ballpark and work correctly.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Funch

Post by Funch » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:11 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:51 pm
Zymos wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:50 pm
Must be really tiring being a Behringer defender....
Because of all the Wins? not really.

Must be more tiring to hate for no reason.
when Behringer supporters call those who don't support Behringer "haters", aren't they engaging in bullying behavior as opposed to offering up a valid counterpoint POV.

BTW, I would not label you as a bully, because our behavior can change for the better as we grow and evolve.

Its very "freeing" to choose not to engage in derogatory name calling and labeling people that you really don't know.

oldenjon
Ultra Wiggler

Post by oldenjon » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:23 pm

Funch wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:14 pm

"Roughly half of the circuit boards and associated components for Moog's instruments come from China. ... However, whether they buy circuit boards in the US or overseas, the majority of the raw components still come from China. Therefore, Moog will be unable to avoid this substantial cost increase because of the tariffs."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... y2q5qaWQeZ
Sure. Half of the components and circuit boards is still impressive. It's difficult not to source the raw materials from China. But assembly is a completely different matter.

"Where are Moog synthesizers made?
Since 2011, a red brick building in the town's north end has been the home of Moog Music Inc, where its 81 employees assemble every one of its instruments. The company's synths aren't marked “Made in the USA,” but each one is made by hand in its factory using metal sourced from Missouri and wood from Tennessee."
https://www.factmag.com/2017/02/18/moog ... he-scenes/

Can you guess how much of Behringer's assembly is done by hand in Germany?

"While Behringer products were manufactured in Willich, Germany, many of the individual components were imported from mainland China. In 1990, to lower production costs, Behringer shifted production from West Germany to mainland China. Initially, subcontractors were engaged to produce the equipment. By 1997, Uli Behringer had relocated to Hong Kong in an effort to supervise manufacturing quality and to better understand Chinese culture"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behringer
"We all dance by ourselves, that's why we only play electronic music"

http://synthscalledbeasts.tumblr.com/

mrgrimm
Common Wiggler

Post by mrgrimm » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:28 pm

at this rate they will release buchla next namm.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:32 pm

i personally think this Modules will sound great for some specific things,
and you will see more of us buying some than you thought we would.
even if its just to see what it is all about.
.....or how it would have felt** to have such Moog. (**soundwise ofcourse)

i hear great tones in them.

it will definitly also change the status of eurorack even further.

i think a first big step was Malekko coming with Richter ( Wiard) circuits to euro,
selling these for great 250$ or so, doing 500 unit batches. (to do a 500unit batch sounded quite abstract back then)

And now: this :lol:

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:34 pm

Behringer baby! Winning! They have the best synthesizers, the best.

I guarantee all those legendary artists they reference would totally use their products today, nomsayin'?

InsectInPixel
Common Wiggler

Post by InsectInPixel » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:39 pm

Behringer: Overspending isn’t a virtue. I know my CFO (wife) would be happy with their prices.
I make UnderBridge for the Elektron Analog Keys. https://youtu.be/dowAKQkFAE0

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:44 pm

I’m buying one out of spite to all the people that bring ethics into an unethical world when it comes to manufacturing.

Give your heads a collective shake.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:58 pm

blw wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:25 pm
Yes, using s-trig seems absurd. I’d love to have been a fly on the wall for the meeting where they made that decision. Do they think people are going to buy these to expand their vintage Moog’s or something? Or they were just too lazy to bother making them compatible with other modules?
They haven't got a clue what they're doing. Cheap black market copies basically

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:59 pm

Yeah, that’ll show us alright!

oldenjon
Ultra Wiggler

Post by oldenjon » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:01 pm

3hands wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:44 pm
I’m buying one out of spite to all the people that bring ethics into an unethical world when it comes to manufacturing.

Give your heads a collective shake.
Go ahead :popcorn: Honestly it probably needs to exist. Someone was going to do it, right? But eventually it will be scorned by every self-respecting musician because it's cheap crap and that's what happens with cheap crap. You'll be embarrassed to leave the house with it or show it to your friends. You'll want to sell but it'll be impossible to resell without taking a huge loss... or it will just be throwaway technology. Who cares though?

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:14 pm

oldenjon wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:01 pm
But eventually it will be scorned by every self-respecting musician because it's cheap crap and that's what happens with cheap crap. You'll be embarrassed to leave the house with it or show it to your friends. You'll want to sell but it'll be impossible to resell without taking a huge loss... or it will just be throwaway technology. Who cares though?
I mostly agree with you, but isn't the TB-303 cheap plastic crap that was scorned by every self-respecting musician? It's all in what you do with it!

ablearcher
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ablearcher » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:15 pm

wait wait, back up a sec, someone mentioned it but lets go back to it...

Why the hell Are they bringing S-trig to eurorack??

oldenjon
Ultra Wiggler

Post by oldenjon » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:21 pm

luketeaford wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:14 pm
oldenjon wrote:
But eventually it will be scorned by every self-respecting musician because it's cheap crap and that's what happens with cheap crap. You'll be embarrassed to leave the house with it or show it to your friends. You'll want to sell but it'll be impossible to resell without taking a huge loss... or it will just be throwaway technology. Who cares though?
I mostly agree with you, but isn't the TB-303 cheap plastic crap that was scorned by every self-respecting musician? It's all in what you do with it!
It's just :sarcasm: Just because the TB-303 was a commercial failure doesn't make it crap. It was unique at the time. It also wasn't cheap in the way a Behringer product is cheap. It cost $395 in 1981, the Behringer clone costs $150 today.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:26 pm

luketeaford wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:14 pm
oldenjon wrote:
Do what with what? It's all been done to death. Most of the community is self-aware now...

Except the B fanboys that seem to congregate around their Facebook posts and get linked to YouTube demos from said Facebook posts. Seeing the comments says it all, it's like watching my grandma post to her friends photos on Facebook.

If B invented the TB-303 as the O.G. acid sound back in the day, this type of thought would hold some weight, but right now it's anemic.

sanders
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sanders » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:28 pm

oldenjon wrote:
Who cares though?
It’s just interesting to talk about.

I don’t want any honorable manufacturer to lose business, especially not an employee owned company. I should hope that isn’t going to happen as a result of Behringer’s synths.
That’s why I’d like to see Moog profit from this in some way. I think it would be great if they could find a way to license their name to these euro designs. Why not.

I don’t know why everyone is assuming they’re garbage. Most eurorack stuff is pretty shoddy to begin with, it’s not exactly the highest quality format. Except for Doepfer and a handful of others, everyone uses the cheapest jacks and plastic pots (including many of the name brands).

I like vintage synths, and prices are beyond ridiculous, so I’m pleased that a lot of these instruments are being made accessible again.

oldenjon
Ultra Wiggler

Post by oldenjon » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:30 pm

sanders wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:28 pm
oldenjon wrote:
Who cares though?
It’s just interesting to talk about.

I don’t want any honorable manufacturer to lose business, especially not an employee owned company. I should hope that isn’t going to happen as a result of Behringer’s synths.
That’s why I’d like to see Moog profit from this in some way. I think it would be great if they could find a way to license their name to these euro designs. Why not.

I don’t know why everyone is assuming they’re garbage. Most eurorack stuff is pretty shoddy to begin with, it’s not exactly the highest quality format. Except for Doepfer and a handful of others, everyone uses the cheapest jacks and plastic pots (including many of the name brands).

I like vintage synths, and prices are beyond ridiculous, so I’m pleased that a lot of these instruments are being made accessible again.
Again, just :sarcasm:. The guy I was responding to said why talk ethics in an unethical world?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”