NAMM 2020 megathread

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2199
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:30 am
Location: Sweden

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:26 pm

guigui wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:42 pm
I don't know if it's off topic (in a Eurorack forum) but since they are acquainted in these lands:



That got me a little bit interested. I like Eryca Synths sound signature.
The reason i really like the TB-303 and most of its clones is how dynamic its gets with the sequencer (slides/accents). This sounded very stiff, which i expected, i've never seen anyone nail those slides and its relation to accent for example.. i don't understand why no one is interested in doing such a sequencer, the TB-303 is not even that much about its sound, its the sequencer that really nails it. Stepper Acid is quite good though, makes you realize that you can make acid using any sound (almost).
Last edited by bemushroomed on Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cat_abyss
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:44 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by cat_abyss » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:26 pm

starthief wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:21 pm


All too short a demo, like most NAMM videos... I'm not getting a great sense of how the reverb really sounds.

I think Virt Iter could be really cool for some of us inclined to write a little code from time to time, though :)
A bit weird to demo the reverb with a static signal...?

User avatar
bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2199
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:30 am
Location: Sweden

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:31 pm

cat_abyss wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:26 pm

A bit weird to demo the reverb with a static signal...?
yes.. Demos of reverbs should always be done with either the human voice (singing, counting etc) or a short simplistic sound like a handclap or a piano. Otherwise you can not put it into perspective, you don't know what you are really hearing because there's no reference.

I find that most eurorack demos are extremely poor, like they're either totally clueless or they dont give a shit.

spinalbeatz
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 313
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:23 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by spinalbeatz » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:16 pm




User avatar
nios
Common Wiggler
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:32 pm
Location: lost in a dream

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by nios » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:19 pm

Anyone around there manage to check out the Frap Tools Brenso, or better yet record it? Super curious about it.

User avatar
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1801
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: East Coast
Contact:

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by hawkfuzz » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:05 pm

More stuff will come tonight and tomorrow. Bresno will probably have a proper demo also really really soon
THUMPR BC SC

User avatar
hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1801
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: East Coast
Contact:

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by hawkfuzz » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:14 pm

evs wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:20 am
Fabong wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:55 pm
https://www.tascam.eu/en/model12.html

Tascam Model 12 announced, looks very nice. Hoping they also announce an even smaller one as I would snap that up but might be of interest for someone else.
oh, fantastic feature to record all your channels directly..
do they record post or pre channel? meaning after eq and your fader, or just the input?
I bet you can choose. You can with the other models.
THUMPR BC SC

User avatar
mrhooks
Common Wiggler
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:15 pm

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by mrhooks » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:03 pm

Fabong wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:42 am
MusicRadar says it'll be £569 which converts to $741.
The Model 16 costs $699.99 US, so unless the Model 12 has some upgrades, it should be less.
If you have an original MI Rings panel you're willing to part with, please PM me.

User avatar
cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1856
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:42 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by cackland » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:10 pm

nios wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:19 pm
Anyone around there manage to check out the Frap Tools Brenso, or better yet record it? Super curious about it.
I was there with them today.. Its an interesting module. Very nice.

Also, their 500 series mono compressor / expander is really nice also.

User avatar
Chartreuse-J
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 760
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:45 pm
Location: State of Malpas

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by Chartreuse-J » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:46 pm

Pretty good stuff so far, 2020 looks to be a good year for modular and electronic music in general. :party:

User avatar
Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:56 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by Illwiggle » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:59 pm

hawkfuzz wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:14 pm
evs wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:20 am
Fabong wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:55 pm
https://www.tascam.eu/en/model12.html

Tascam Model 12 announced, looks very nice. Hoping they also announce an even smaller one as I would snap that up but might be of interest for someone else.
oh, fantastic feature to record all your channels directly..
do they record post or pre channel? meaning after eq and your fader, or just the input?
I bet you can choose. You can with the other models.
I was reading a SOS review of the Model 24 recently, the reviewer said that the recording input is just after the Comp, so EQs dont get printed :( Alluding to their purpose being for monitoring a live gig... if it could print the EQs Id be super interested. Maybe they’re putting in a switch for this model, as it seems a bit more suited to home recordings...looks like they added MIDI sync, internal metronome
Last edited by Illwiggle on Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2396
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by brandonlogic » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:03 pm

Yikes. I was really excited for this but I can’t say I’m digging the tone of the waveforms or the sound of the FM in this demo.
Sounds.. thin and harsh, low fi?
I hope this thing is capable is more warm and organic sounds.

User avatar
deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:34 am

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by deftinwulf » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:43 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:03 pm
Yikes. I was really excited for this but I can’t say I’m digging the tone of the waveforms or the sound of the FM in this demo.
Sounds.. thin and harsh, low fi?
I hope this thing is capable is more warm and organic sounds.
Odd... it does have a "bit reduction" type character to the sound. Feels very digitally lo-fi in a way I don't really like. With this many controls and patch points I'm going to assume/hope it's capable of a wide range of timbres that aren't this... Definitely need more demos.

User avatar
nios
Common Wiggler
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:32 pm
Location: lost in a dream

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by nios » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:23 am

deftinwulf wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:43 pm
brandonlogic wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:03 pm
Yikes. I was really excited for this but I can’t say I’m digging the tone of the waveforms or the sound of the FM in this demo.
Sounds.. thin and harsh, low fi?
I hope this thing is capable is more warm and organic sounds.
Odd... it does have a "bit reduction" type character to the sound. Feels very digitally lo-fi in a way I don't really like. With this many controls and patch points I'm going to assume/hope it's capable of a wide range of timbres that aren't this... Definitely need more demos.
me thinking about Brenso before hearing that demo :cloud:

me thinking about Brenso after that demo :omg:

I'm guessing numerous people were fiddling with it earlier and whoever touched it last, threw things around haphazardly into irritating-screech territory, and Frap just went with it however it was last left on settings because someone came up to record it. It's not hard at all to turn the wrong knob on a complex osc and get grating noise, plus here, considering that there is almost no text on the front panel it's far more likely that mistakes were made even if someone generally knew how to work these things. Sure sounds like it at least. Also consider that this is entire-music-industry NAMM, not Superbooth etc, so the likelihood of someone having truly no idea what they were doing coming and messing with this is many times higher than normal.

Some other people have said it sounded really good; here's to hoping for some properly-tuned audio demos.

pablowdadon
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:00 am
Location: C0

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by pablowdadon » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:03 am

bemushroomed wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:31 pm
cat_abyss wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:26 pm

A bit weird to demo the reverb with a static signal...?
yes.. Demos of reverbs should always be done with either the human voice (singing, counting etc) or a short simplistic sound like a handclap or a piano. Otherwise you can not put it into perspective, you don't know what you are really hearing because there's no reference.

I find that most eurorack demos are extremely poor, like they're either totally clueless or they dont give a shit.
:deadbanana:
Voice? Clap ? Piano?

Is it 1920 or 2020?

User avatar
bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2199
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:30 am
Location: Sweden

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by bemushroomed » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:00 am

pablowdadon wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:03 am

:deadbanana:
Voice? Clap ? Piano?

Is it 1920 or 2020?
Like i explained, this is because everyone has heard these things many times so they serve as excellent references when it comes to acoustics.
Actually every professional demo that compares or reviews reverbs uses these sources and not things like a random synth or something, and especially it can't be a continuous tone, then you can't hear the tail of the reverb.

User avatar
joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:59 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by joeSeggiola » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:06 am

I don't get if Noise Engineering Univer Inter has USB Host capabilities, or if it's just acts as an USB device for attaching PCs / DAWs... I'm interested in using it with USB-only MIDI devices, but the fact I see a Type B connector instead of a Type A, makes me think it doesn't act as an USB host...?

User avatar
squarewavesurfer
Common Wiggler
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:43 pm

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by squarewavesurfer » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:22 am

bemushroomed wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:00 am
pablowdadon wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:03 am

:deadbanana:
Voice? Clap ? Piano?

Is it 1920 or 2020?
Like i explained, t :love: his is because everyone has heard these things many times so they serve as excellent references when it comes to acoustics.
Actually every professional demo that compares or reviews reverbs uses these sources and not things like a random synth or something, and especially it can't be a continuous tone, then you can't hear the tail of the reverb.
This is exactly what I was thinking. I need to hear the decay of a reverb following simple, short clips of audio at the reverbs input. Demo the dry singal followed by wet and then manipulate the reverb. It's pretty basic stuff. A constant tone right out of an oscillator into a reverb tells me nothing.
WTB: Sputnik Valve Multiplier; Verbos Scan & Pan; 0603 Ears pcb and/or panel

User avatar
Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1139
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:22 am
Location: DC

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by Hovercraft » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:57 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:03 pm
Yikes. I was really excited for this but I can’t say I’m digging the tone of the waveforms or the sound of the FM in this demo.
Sounds.. thin and harsh, low fi?
I hope this thing is capable is more warm and organic sounds.
It’s hard to say much about the sound of Brenso from one quick patch on a prototype during a short video. Especially for a complex osc, I think you need a 45-60 min walkthrough to really get a feel for what it does. Have heard some positive reactions from people at the show, FWIW.

Fabong
Common Wiggler
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:07 am

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by Fabong » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:06 am

mrhooks wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:03 pm
Fabong wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:42 am
MusicRadar says it'll be £569 which converts to $741.
The Model 16 costs $699.99 US, so unless the Model 12 has some upgrades, it should be less.
Fair enough, the Model 16 is over £700 over here so I guess these things are just cheaper in the USA.
Avant Garde a clue

User avatar
BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:40 am
Location: Vienna

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by BrokenBo » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:11 am


User avatar
blw
Common Wiggler
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:30 pm

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by blw » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:59 am

The NAMM release I had missed until now but which was an instant preorder for me was the SSL2+. Two channel portable interface with nice preamps, 2 headphone amps, and midi. Seems like a perfect little friend for my travel bag, for $299.
F3350611-4E5E-489E-B304-6904B2F4C4D9.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:34 am

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by deftinwulf » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:22 pm

blw wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:59 am
The NAMM release I had missed until now but which was an instant preorder for me was the SSL2+. Two channel portable interface with nice preamps, 2 headphone amps, and midi. Seems like a perfect little friend for my travel bag, for $299.

F3350611-4E5E-489E-B304-6904B2F4C4D9.png
Damn, I was leaning toward the new Motu M4 but SSL is supposed to be great stuff, and I like the desktop orientation (knobs on top of panel rather than front) of this box. I wonder how the driver latency/stability will compare... is this SSL's first entry into the USB interface market?

User avatar
blw
Common Wiggler
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:30 pm

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by blw » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:03 pm

deftinwulf wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:22 pm
Damn, I was leaning toward the new Motu M4 but SSL is supposed to be great stuff, and I like the desktop orientation (knobs on top of panel rather than front) of this box. I wonder how the driver latency/stability will compare... is this SSL's first entry into the USB interface market?
I have an x-desk set up and the headroom is insane. I feel sure that the preamps are amazing if they are putting their name on it. I think you are right that it could be their first usb interface, though (or maybe the nucleus has one?). A bit of an x-factor there, but I guess I’ll find out.

User avatar
Whatisvalis
Common Wiggler
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:54 pm

Re: NAMM 2020 megathread

Post by Whatisvalis » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:13 pm

deftinwulf wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:22 pm
blw wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:59 am
The NAMM release I had missed until now but which was an instant preorder for me was the SSL2+. Two channel portable interface with nice preamps, 2 headphone amps, and midi. Seems like a perfect little friend for my travel bag, for $299.

F3350611-4E5E-489E-B304-6904B2F4C4D9.png
Damn, I was leaning toward the new Motu M4 but SSL is supposed to be great stuff, and I like the desktop orientation (knobs on top of panel rather than front) of this box. I wonder how the driver latency/stability will compare... is this SSL's first entry into the USB interface market?
I'm in the same boat. There's a whole thread on GS if you can stomach it. Going to hold off until a few more folks have them in hand. Latency and driver performance is important - the 4K Switch will sell a boat load no doubt.

There are a few reported issues on Windows with the M4 drivers and USB power modes, but it's made in the USA and latency seems good. I'm leaning M4 at the moment.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”