Make Noise CV Bus Bar - Anybody do DIY

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

intuitionnyc
Veteran Wiggler

Make Noise CV Bus Bar - Anybody do DIY

Post by intuitionnyc » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:07 pm

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but has anyone created their own Make Noise CV Bus Bar like in the Shared System Case?

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:35 am

There was someone mentioning their own in the DIY thread a while back. Let me see if I can find it

Kroggel
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Make Noise CV Bus Bar - Anybody do DIY

Post by Kroggel » Sun May 24, 2020 7:37 am

I would also be interessted. Lately been thinking about building one of those for myself. Can´t be that complex since its passive...But don´t know how exactly the Leds are wired.

xntrk
Common Wiggler

Post by xntrk » Sun May 24, 2020 7:48 am

Something like the Intellijel octalink would be cool if you could connect them inside the case and have a few spread out over a large case.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun May 24, 2020 7:59 am

The CV bus bar is neat, particularly in the context it was specifically designed for. But if you don’t have a Shared System, in my opinion, you’d generally be better served having an oscilloscope around.

Kroggel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kroggel » Sun May 24, 2020 10:03 am

I don´t get the connection...how would an oscilloscope be serving as a mult to spread signals across your system ;-) also I don´t get why you need a shared system to take advantage

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun May 24, 2020 11:01 am

Kroggel wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:03 am
I don´t get the connection...how would an oscilloscope be serving as a mult to spread signals across your system ;-) also I don´t get why you need a shared system to take advantage
There are numerous solutions available for multing signals across your system. You can buy one or build your own. There’s another recent thread that is somewhat relevant: https://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=190002

The “issue” is the LED activity lights for visual signal analysis. While the LEDs are nice to have—and I’m all for blinkenlights—an oscilloscope offers much more practical value.

It is interesting that pretty much NONE of the commercial mult distribution options have LED activity lights except the apparently one-off Tunnel In/Tunnel Out buffered mults. It may just be a cost/complexity issue, but there’s a good reason for it. Birdkids was going to do it, but they ended up walking away. Perhaps one of the engineers around here can chime in? In terms of commercial module producers, the obvious one to deliver a multing solution with visual aids is Expert Sleepers: they’ve got the LED jacks.

BTW, here’s a relevant thread in the DIY message board:
https://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7&t=149225

Kroggel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kroggel » Sun May 24, 2020 2:18 pm

hmm, I see the point. But the LEDs would just be there to see trigger speeds or LFOs. I still think an Oscilloscope would be over the Top, at least for my needs.

Are those Expert Sleepers LED Jacks their own development or can one buy them somewhere?

Length_must_be
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Length_must_be » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:36 pm

Hi guys, how much can the MN cv bus bar value be?

studioutopia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by studioutopia » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:44 pm

Length_must_be wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:36 pm
Hi guys, how much can the MN cv bus bar value be?
If you compared the CVBus functionality to the equivalent in Intellijel 1U modules (a commercial alternative):
Line In 1U $42
Stereo Out 1U. $94
Stereo Line Out Jacks 1U: $28
Mult 1U (x2). $68
--- For a total of $232 USD

What you will not get in the Intellijel option is the LEDs on the 4 mult chains... but you would be far better off buying the ZeroScope 1U for $188.26 - which gives you a lot more than just 16 blinkenlights.

I made that calculation when I switched from the MN CVBus case to Intellijel 7U - and I don't regret it at all.

Length_must_be
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Length_must_be » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:55 pm

Thank you very much for your explanation, but if im not wrong in the make noise you can only choose between line out or headphones out, is not possible to use booth on the same time, right?

studioutopia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by studioutopia » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:56 pm

Length_must_be wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:55 pm
Thank you very much for your explanation, but if im not wrong in the make noise you can only choose between line out or headphones out, is not possible to use booth on the same time, right?
Yes - it's one or the other.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”