two DPO setup

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

psy_
Learning to Wiggle

two DPO setup

Post by psy_ » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:41 pm

I really like the sound of DPO... anyone have two DPO in their setup? any youtube videos how they sound together? i would like to see a second dpo into a shared system with pressure points removed , would this be a nice upgrade to the shared system or adding a tELHARMONIC would bring more variety in the voices

rew_
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rew_ » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:42 am

I don't want to be a jerk but lol yeah I think adding a second, different oscillator would bring more variety than doubling up on the oscillator you already have

if you want two DPOs that's fine but surely you can imagine what two might sound like, having one already.
whoosy boxes / zoomy panels

Blingley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Blingley » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:29 am

That being said there definitely is a host of benefits for more of the same. Something this forum in the infinitely-sprawling GAS tends to forget.

1. You already know how it works, so there's less of a learning curve. You get to go straight to performing with your instrument, while still having more ground to explore with voice doublings, cross modulations, etc.

2. Multiple similar voices may harmonize better. This is a matter of taste, but having 4 voices with a completely different timbre as opposed to four voices with similar timbres is a choice you've gotta make. But keep in mind that string quartets are popular, but quartets with an accordion, nyckelharpa, guzheng and oud aren't.

3. Redundancy allows for patching same thing in different ways. This may not be a big concern if you don't do live patching or improvisation, but being able to get there when one part of your setup is tied doing something else is pretty nice.

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:26 am

Not two DPOs, but I do have 4 of the same oscillators ind I like it. More of the same can sometimes lead to more possibilities

psy_
Learning to Wiggle

Post by psy_ » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:43 pm

thx for replys , first i want to say that i searched the forum and i found many similar questions with many replys and i read a lot of them now :)

Having a shared system plus with limited room for expansion in the same case (12hp), just want one more vco voice with the options of the final output,just the half right of the dpo... like @Blingley said in 3 to free my main dpo and doing improvisation with the other one.

Would like not to remove any module like pressure points from the system but seems not nearly possible except if you take something like STO.
For variation i would like to add Mysteron because i like strings and physical modeling but this module don't fit either without removing something...
Another option i consider to expand the system without modify it is to fit another mixer in like X-Pan.

Sorry i got the thread into shared system expansion options, got a little GAS these days thinking how to expand witout taking another case but because i'm new i don't want to expand beyond the system for 4 years at least, i remember the software/plug in acquisition syndrome and is not good :deadbanana:

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:13 pm

I think if they are just doing harmony then maybe it would be better to sample it. If they are doing 4 operator FM then I would add a through zero VCO like the Rubicon. I can understand having 4 Dixie's or 4 spectrum. I can understand the e370. But I don't understand two DPO when they are not really ready to replace an LFO. It does sound great but I would add a tube distortion before another DPO.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:36 pm

I'd be looking at either an FM Aid + dixie (or maybe STO, which could track more similarly to the DPO but wouldn't be able to serve as the carrier in FM Aid) combination to extend a DPO into a 3-operator hybrid of phase modulation + its own fucked up FM, or just pairing it with a hertz donut mk3, which sounds like a mean digital relative of the DPO and pairs really well with it timbrally. plus if you went the hertz route its note and frequency display can serve as a ground of tuning reference for the DPO

psy_
Learning to Wiggle

Post by psy_ » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:57 pm

@EATyourGUITAR i'll try sampling with Morphagene and look for through zero VCO's

@autopoiesis hertz donut mk3 sounds great looks like what i'm after and expensive like the dpo

i'll look into the suggestions and watch some videos, not buying right away cause don't have the extra to spend right now ....

mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mskala » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:34 pm

If you want a second DPO and can afford it, why not get it? Doesn't matter whether someone else would want something else.

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:38 pm

Chewy squared. What's not to love. :fap:
*phnert*

electricfence
Wiggling with Experience

Post by electricfence » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:18 pm

Blingley wrote:But keep in mind that string quartets are popular, but quartets with an accordion, nyckelharpa, guzheng and oud aren't.
In all fairness, this might just be because of the way that the nyckelharpa sits in the mix.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:28 pm

Blingley wrote:string quartets are popular, but quartets with an accordion, nyckelharpa, guzheng and oud aren't.
I would listen to that SO HARD. :bananaguitar:

psy_
Learning to Wiggle

Post by psy_ » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:50 pm

@mskala ofcourse :) just want to hear and other voices on the matter, maybe other people's different thinking opens more interesting possibilities that i didn't think of

jjr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jjr » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:15 pm

Here is my current two complex oscillator set up.

Smurfs

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:30 pm

I was lucky to have 2 DPO's in my system for about 2 weeks. I've had one since my early days in Eurorack, and about a year ago had a friend lend me one.

One thing that is unique to the DPO is the follow circuit which creates amazing sounds when synced. You can get some crazy cross-modulation going on between the 2 syncing each other while modulating the follow circuit.

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:21 pm

Never tried a DPO, but I have a Rubicon and would love to have another one for many of the reasons mentioned above; familiarity above all, but I really love the sounds I can coax out of it! I would make it a Rubicon 2 though, as it has a few different features.

I can also see the logic in something different though. I have two Pittsburgh Waveforms that I thought to be rather bland at first until I watched a video on using two of them to get crazy sounds, it expanded my horizons as well as my musical palette.

I think it really boils down to where you want to go with your sound.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:31 pm

I think my favorite pair of complex oscillators was Hertz Donut mk2 and Pittsburgh Double Helix. Noisy digital with super easy TZFM, and noisy analog with expo FM, they were very different and yet kind of in the same spirit.

psy_
Learning to Wiggle

Re: two DPO setup

Post by psy_ » Mon May 04, 2020 7:06 pm

xmm, left the two dpo thought afterall (i want to keep pp) and got an x-pan for some stereo pan and mono to stereo mix in the system.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”