Why won’t you fit in my case?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

mmelnick
No melody, no harmony

Re: Why won’t you fit in my case?

Post by mmelnick » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:31 pm

daverj wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:01 pm
I haven't been around much lately, so missed this thread when it was happening.

First, oops... on the metric dimension in that pic. It should have said 6.5cm (65mm).

In that original version the bottom board is there for people who don't have a heavy amount of 5v available in their case (or any 5v at all). If your case has a lot of 5v available then you can remove that bottom board and power it from the board above it.Then it's only 2 inches deep.

With the bottom board in place it uses:

140ma of +12, 140ma of -12

I don't think I ever did a measurement with the bottom board removed, but would guess that it needs 400-500ma of +5v, and maybe 40ma each of +12v and -12v. So to use it with the bottom board removed you need a case that can supply a lot of +5v for it to work.

Or, you could sell that one and buy one of the new ones that just came out. They are functionally the same but don't have that extra board on the bottom, so fit within a 2 inch (51mm) depth.

http://www.jonesvideo.com/prod_mvip.html
I want to have it in a Doepfer Beauty case with a Doepfer joystick and maybe one other module. Would it work in that with the bottom board removed?
matthewmelnick.com
metrono.me
bloodofazombie.com
darksidenyc.com
myworld.ebay.com/brooklyn_collectables

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:27 pm

Doepfer beauty case says it has 50mA of +5v so it doesn't appear so - it also looks like it might be pretty stretched on +/-12v with the bottom board - there's only 200mA available in the beauty case anyway
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine - and stops them tarnishing too!!!

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Post by daverj » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:30 pm

mmelnick wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:31 pm
daverj wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:01 pm
I haven't been around much lately, so missed this thread when it was happening.

First, oops... on the metric dimension in that pic. It should have said 6.5cm (65mm).

In that original version the bottom board is there for people who don't have a heavy amount of 5v available in their case (or any 5v at all). If your case has a lot of 5v available then you can remove that bottom board and power it from the board above it.Then it's only 2 inches deep.

With the bottom board in place it uses:

140ma of +12, 140ma of -12

I don't think I ever did a measurement with the bottom board removed, but would guess that it needs 400-500ma of +5v, and maybe 40ma each of +12v and -12v. So to use it with the bottom board removed you need a case that can supply a lot of +5v for it to work.

Or, you could sell that one and buy one of the new ones that just came out. They are functionally the same but don't have that extra board on the bottom, so fit within a 2 inch (51mm) depth.

http://www.jonesvideo.com/prod_mvip.html
I want to have it in a Doepfer Beauty case with a Doepfer joystick and maybe one other module. Would it work in that with the bottom board removed?
The original version of the MVIP fits in the Beauty Case with the bottom board in place. The beauty Case is fairly deep, as are all the Doepfer cases. The new version of the MVIP also fits.

However the Beauty Case doesn't have enough +5v to power the original version with the bottom board removed, so it needs to be kept on. The original version uses 140ma each of +12 and -12. That leaves 60ma of each for whatever modules that you can fit in the case. The new version of the MVIP uses more +12 and less -12, so it would use up all of the +12 volts in the Beauty Case, leaving no +12 available for other modules.

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Post by daverj » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:40 pm

As far as the "air" that you can see in the picture...

What you might not notice is that if you look up at the top between the top board and the one behind it is there are a couple of non-polar aluminum electrolytic capacitors up there which barely fit between the boards (laying on their side because they wouldn't fit standing up). Then behind the header on the half sized bottom board is a DC-DC converter that also takes up all the air between those boards.

There is some wasted air between the second and third boards. I used standard headers between the boards to pass signals between them. Those headers space the boards 0.440" (11.2mm) apart. There are some much more expensive (and less reliable) headers available that could reduce that to 0.250" (6.35mm). But I could have only used them on that one board because of the other parts described above. So that would have only made the module 0.190" (4.8mm) shorter. Not enough savings to make it worthwhile, in my opinion.

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Re:

Post by deke » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:08 pm

MarcelP wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:36 am
cptnal wrote: It's been the cause of more expensive mistakes... :eek:

https://www.wired.com/2010/11/1110mars- ... er-report/
Such an absurdly simple mistake - I believe the humiliation for NASA led to some major changes that later resulted in some very successful Mars missions. I wasn't aware of this cause of mission failure though:

"The Mars Polar Lander, which launched 23 days after Mars Climate Orbiter, also disappeared on the way to the planet's surface. Vibrations in that craft's legs may have convinced the craft's on-board computer it had already landed, when it was still 100 feet in the air."

The image of a lonely trembling nervous lander 100 feet above the surface of Mars joyfully letting go of its parachutes in mistaken anticipation of a solid sandy surface beneath its feet before plunging to its early and useless death leaves a lump in my throat. I may have watched too much Wallace and Grommit.
Always wondered what happened to the polar explorer person who made that 191 million dollar mistake. Imagine if Mars probes all had eurorack power connectors.

mmelnick
No melody, no harmony

Post by mmelnick » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:04 pm

Ok, I don’t do drugs but I don’t know wtf I was talking about concerning the beauty case. I know it fits already. I’m wondering if I take off the bottom board, will it work ok in the Enclave 2 row portable case that I have? I have this case.

39641A00-5645-474A-9C29-694A58EC7494.jpeg
Sorry about that :despair:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matthewmelnick.com
metrono.me
bloodofazombie.com
darksidenyc.com
myworld.ebay.com/brooklyn_collectables

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:54 pm

mmelnick wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:04 pm
Ok, I don’t do drugs but I don’t know wtf I was talking about concerning the beauty case. I know it fits already. I’m wondering if I take off the bottom board, will it work ok in the Enclave 2 row portable case that I have? I have this case.

39641A00-5645-474A-9C29-694A58EC7494.jpeg

Sorry about that :despair:
Could you move the power bus PCB so it is just under one row? You could still connect to it (leave just enough space) and that would give you a row with the full depth under it.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

soggybag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soggybag » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:26 pm

Get some spacers and longer mounting bolts and have t sit up off the rails if just need a few millimeters of extra space.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”