Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:59 am

On paper, and in practice, the ES-8 & ES-9 are about the same, as far as I can tell. Others with better ears might offer their opinion on the sound differences, if any.

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:37 am

Better than ears to share the results : measurements?
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Post by Besfar » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:44 pm

Is it possible to use this as a combined audio interface and midi tp cv host/converter?

E. G. input 2 channels of audio into ableton live, whilst outputting 10 or whichever channels of midi from live into cv to euro.

Like the fh2 plus a es8.
:hmm:

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:10 am

Yes, though the MIDI/CV conversion would be done in software e.g. with Silent Way or CV Tools.

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:31 am

I've got an ES-9 on pre-order, but maybe someone with some ES-8 experience can help me out with a question: how bad of an idea is it to do some "round-trip" stuff with audio signals, vs passing CVs or audio signals in the other only "one way" / or one time only. For example, taking audio out of the modular rack and into Ableton for.. whatever... then sending that audio back out into the modular for...more whatever... then back into Ableton for final recording, mixing, etc. I'm wondering at what point latency becomes an issue, or if the repeated A/D/A/D encoding/decodings degrade the signal, etc?

noeticsound
Common Wiggler

Post by noeticsound » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:55 pm

AbundantChoice wrote:I've got an ES-9 on pre-order, but maybe someone with some ES-8 experience can help me out with a question: how bad of an idea is it to do some "round-trip" stuff with audio signals, vs passing CVs or audio signals in the other only "one way" / or one time only. For example, taking audio out of the modular rack and into Ableton for.. whatever... then sending that audio back out into the modular for...more whatever... then back into Ableton for final recording, mixing, etc. I'm wondering at what point latency becomes an issue, or if the repeated A/D/A/D encoding/decodings degrade the signal, etc?
I have an RME soundcard with ES-3/6 connected via ADAT. I generally run a 64-sample buffer at 44.1 kHz, which I believe is about 3 ms roundtrip.

I'll often setup a chain that involves audio signal going in and out of the box several times, sometimes just for signal metering. For example, oscillator to Ableton for oscilloscope, back to modular for wavefolding, back to Ableton for another oscilloscope, back to modular for filter, back to Ableton for another oscilloscope, back to modular for vca, back to Ableton for dynamics, delay, reverb, etc. That's 3.5 roundtrips, or 10.5 ms. But I never really noticed.

It could be that there's some delay compensation going on. I'm also not a timing fiend; although my music is very rhythmic, it's more forgiving of timing slop than a lot of other producers' music would tolerate. Of course, all that scoping does nothing for the sound; it's more of a sound design tool, but the scopes can come down once the sound is dialed in, if the latency is irritating. Just confirming that it's quite doable.

Trebbers
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Trebbers » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:05 pm

Live does delay compensation automatically.

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:50 pm

noeticsound wrote: I'll often setup a chain that involves audio signal going in and out of the box several times, sometimes just for signal metering. For example, oscillator to Ableton for oscilloscope, back to modular for wavefolding, back to Ableton for another oscilloscope, back to modular for filter, back to Ableton for another oscilloscope, back to modular for vca, back to Ableton for dynamics, delay, reverb, etc. That's 3.5 roundtrips, or 10.5 ms. But I never really noticed.
That's fantastic news!

diffrentstrolks
Common Wiggler

Post by diffrentstrolks » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:57 am

Anyone have an ETA for when this will be in-stock at US retailers?
diffrent folks

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:08 pm

Should be back in stock early December.

pashacamera
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pashacamera » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:21 pm

Hi os! I've got a strange question )) Finally got my ES9 and everything is ok. I've routed 8 inputs to stereo and headphones output when I'm out of DAW succesfully. But one thing that I don't understand: I can't get the audio connecting it to my iphone. Actually i was planning to get the mix of 8 inputs directly to iphone when recorded or streamed with it. Any suggestions? Maybe I loose something in routing? Thank you

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:19 am

How are you connecting it to your phone?

pashacamera
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pashacamera » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:14 am

os wrote:How are you connecting it to your phone?
I've got lightening to usb adapter and usb-c to usb-a cable. When I'm connecting the usb led on ES-9 turns on, telling me that he has usb connection. When I'm trying to record video on iphone, it has no sound at all. Seems that it gets an external audio device because it turns off internal mic when recording, but it doesn't get any sound from ES-9. I bet it's something wrong with routing. Actually I don't understand which bus does it use for sending a signal to ios devices.
Thank you for support by the way )

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:51 am

By default I believe iOS apps use inputs 1/2 on whatever audio device is connected.

Sometimes you need to connect the device and start the app in a particular order.

pashacamera
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pashacamera » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:03 pm

os wrote:By default I believe iOS apps use inputs 1/2 on whatever audio device is connected.

Sometimes you need to connect the device and start the app in a particular order.
Problem solved! Thank you os! The main thing was to connect ios device first and then power up the ES-9. And yes, you were right, it takes 1/2 inputs to ios device, but i can deal with it.

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Post by Besfar » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:39 am

Os, do you plan to make a downsized version of this?
Like an es8 with headphone and balanced outs?

This is perfect for many, but way overkill for my needs
4 ins and 8 outs are enough.

Actually would buy this if it was the other way round, 8 ins 16 outs.

Edit: how about a hphone and audio outs expander for the es8? :)

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:42 am

There are plenty of other 3.5mm -> headphone/balanced out modules available.

Zerius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zerius » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:22 am

@pashacamera which app do you use to record in your iPhone ? Does it work well with last iPhone versions ?

paosciante
Common Wiggler

Post by paosciante » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:36 am

This looks amazing!

At the moment I am using an Es3+Es6 and an output module with headphones and stereo out.

If I added an Es9, would I be able of still using my Es3+Es6 combo so I could have all the extra IO through ADAT?

If that doesnt work, how could you get more audio/cv/gate outpus?

Thanks in advance!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:35 am

The ES-9 doesn't have ADAT, so won't connect to the ES-3/6.

You can extend it with an ES-5, and then with the ESX series of expanders.

liquidsn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by liquidsn » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:53 pm

Have a dumb question.

Since it can input back audio, I'm assuming the ES-9 will compensate for eurorack level audio? Or do I have to bring it down to line level first.

Also, vise versa. If I input audio from for example a OP-1 or OP-Z, can I just plug it into one of the inputs and mix it in a DAW?

When is the new batch coming? This seems to be the missing link for me especially with Ableton 10.1 with CV TOOLS :bananaguitar: :bananaguitar:

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:22 am

https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es9.html wrote:Analogue inputs:
14x 3.5mm TS jacks, DC-coupled, Input voltage range approximately ±10V
Line level signals will be a little quiet but you can turn them up in the DAW.

New batch due at the end of the month.

SalvorHardin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SalvorHardin » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:22 am

Hum... configuring my new studio setup since I just moved and too many things my mind is clouded!

So I got this new ES9, connected by USB to my windows computer, I fire a fresh install of ableton.. but no sound. This is because I configured ableton to use ASIO and the ES9 as audio device, so my headphones connected to the PC dont send any sound.

How can I do to make the ES 9 send the sound to my PC so that I hear it in my headphones?

I think I need to send one audio out (headphones or the L/R one) to the back of my computer right?

Ok so what I did...

ES9 L/R OUT to PC mobo Line In, then in sound option I set Line In 'listen this device' in the microphones. Not sure that's how I get the best audio, but my motherboard is a good one and the sound seems decent.. Open to other alternative routing lol, I feel like I'm being thick to understand this, I remember have spent months to perfect my setup back in Paris, but here I have trouble setting up everything again. help appreciated. Also OS you are the expert sleeper guy from the synth fest videos right? Great dude, great hardware

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:50 am

Why would you not simply plug your headphones into the ES-9?

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:33 pm

The LED's on the ES-9 are so useful.

What a module!
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

Return to “Eurorack Modules”