Audio mangling in Eurorack

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Audio mangling in Eurorack

Post by TemplarK » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:58 pm

Hi guys I'm thinking about getting into some more audio/sampling modules, really I'm looking for a certain effect which is this vocal snippet from a Fischerspooner remix where she screams and the vocal descends into what seems like s+h kind of thing I can't even really explain whats going on? (its the female vocal i'm talking about not the guy screaming).

Can anyone shed some light on how this was done originally and if its do-able in Euro?

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:26 pm

Sounds like it’s just artificially pitched, doesn’t it? And som bit reduktion too, perhaps, for the crunchy sound.
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece using Instruō harmonàig and Cš-L. 🐡

Alliex
Common Wiggler

Post by Alliex » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:05 am

Agreed with the above.

I think a granular synth/effect could probably do something like that too, but I don't have any specific recommendations (even after unrelatedly browsing a bunch of options yesterday).

That song really takes me back :)

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Audio mangling in Eurorack

Post by Voggg » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:42 am

could be a hard auto-tune effect. Also reminds me of PLL like you get from the Data Corrupter pedal (but DC would be more extreme). You could get in the ball park with Morphagene but it would not be the same.

I think it's a pitch shift / correction that's slewed at the beginning and then abruptly quantized. Maybe a pitch wheel followed by plunking on a keyboard.

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:17 am

this doesn't sound to me like something you could with granular or in the modular world generally. Unless the er301 or that other computer module offer some process....

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:14 pm

Sure sounds like an auto-tune effect. Closest thing in eurorack might be the Gotharman PitchShaper and- 1) it's un-obtainium, 2) While it sounds similar, it doesn't work the same way...

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:47 pm

I think you can get something similar using Echophon, Maths, a VCA, and maybe an adder

Use ch4 AD envelope to go up with the pitch for the slewed part
then use EOC to trg ch1 AD envelope, which opens a VCA that has the sequencer running into it. Run both channel 4 and the end of the VCA, into an adder, and that back into pitch1 on the

You'll get a smooth part and when that returns to zero, will initiate a second part with the sequencer abruptly changing the depth to get the a glitchy part.

Running a non-slewed sequencer into Echophone (or clouds for that matter) sounds a lot like that clicky ending glitchy part.

----
That would be much easier to do on an Octatrack though. The rest of the song sounds like it was put together with a sampler that does retrigs, or if they diddn't do it that way, it would be easy to know with what we have.
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

Return to “Eurorack Modules”