Eurorack + microphone: What is your setup?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Eurorack + microphone: What is your setup?

Post by Voggg » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:02 am

I'm looking at options for adding a microphone to my rack and not sure what to do. What is your setup? If you can, please share your thoughts and experiences (not just what gear you use).

I'm "informed" but a little fuzzy on all of this:
Preamp, reamp, DI box, condenser vs dynamic, trs vs ts, phantom power, pedals, impedence, feedback, mixer, signal matching, pedals for mic processing, etc.

(Personally I'd prefer not to add a module, will probably use Gozinta or an Intellijel audio in. I have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 and a Roland KC-220 amp. I want to keep the setup fairly portable, mostly for adding vocals, probably with a lot of effects, but for sampling other sounds as well.)

zaqwithaq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zaqwithaq » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:49 am

I taped one of these boards from sparkfun to the back of my case, drilled a hole I'm the cheek of my case and mounted an xlr input. Wired them up and out put the signal through 1/8in so I can patch it into ears. I get enough gain to drive an sm58 for most patches.

[/url]https://www.sparkfun.com/products/14002[/url][/url]

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:03 am

I go straight out of my mic pre (in my case a Sebatron Thorax) into my system, any professional studio preamp will have a hot enough output to feed a euro system.

mrerdat
Common Wiggler

Post by mrerdat » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:42 am

I take the out of my mic pre (500 series) into an Intellijel Line In 1U via an XLRF to 1/4" TRS cable.

I find the Line In module important as it boosts line level to Eurorack level.

Though you can get away fine with plugging the output of a mic pre directly into your system, you may find the signal to be on the quieter side compared to your non mic signals and sound a little bit noisier due to lower signal to noise ratio.

Could be a non issue depending on your usage but every little bit of noise adds up, especially when running into things like distortion or compressors.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:10 am

SM 58 into mixing desk. FX sends out to modular (4MS DLD for looping, Eowave Fluctuations Magnetiques for spectral processing). I use a Ladik line level preamp for my modular. Since the mixing desk already boosts the mic signal to line level this is sufficient.

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:41 am

1 old broken headphone wired to a 3.5mm mono plug into an overdrive pedal - works great ;)

however i am going to get a pulplogic gain tile as soon as i get something to hold tiles set up and then i will use that instead of the overdrive.

s.l.o.w
Common Wiggler

Post by s.l.o.w » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:07 am

For live use, I use a MOTU MicroBook IIc as my routing hub and mixer. It has a mic input, instrument input, and stereo line in, which receives the output from my Euro case. I can send mic, instrument or anything to the case via the interface's line outs, which are connected to the Audio I/O 1U in my Intellijel case. A Gozinta or Erica Pico Input etc. would also work just fine. All of these bits are mixed together using either Ableton Live if I'm using my laptop, or AUM or apeMatrix if I'm using iOS. The sum of everything gets routed to the interface's main outs.

For studio use, the same general setup applies, but with more substantial interfaces/converters instead of the MicroBook, and I can process more separate channels from my Euro case.

s.l.o.w
Common Wiggler

Post by s.l.o.w » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:19 am

To the OP, you can use your Focusrite interface and any Euro input module to implement what I've described above. This works great for my workflow, when sometimes I want vocals and/or guitar to get processed by my modular, and sometimes I don't, and want to do vocals + guitar + modular. Just set up your routing accordingly, and you're off to the races. Depending on what I'm up to, I'll either use pedals/amp for guitar and studio outboard for vocals (whether or not I'm sending guitar and vocals to the modular) or just plugins in Live or iOS.

Nightly Closures
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nightly Closures » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:56 am

I either plug the mic into veils or phonogene. It works.

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:21 pm

s.l.o.w wrote:For live use, I use a MOTU MicroBook IIc as my routing hub and mixer. It has a mic input, instrument input, and stereo line in, which receives the output from my Euro case. I can send mic, instrument or anything to the case via the interface's line outs, which are connected to the Audio I/O 1U in my Intellijel case. A Gozinta or Erica Pico Input etc. would also work just fine. All of these bits are mixed together using either Ableton Live if I'm using my laptop, or AUM or apeMatrix if I'm using iOS. The sum of everything gets routed to the interface's main outs.

For studio use, the same general setup applies, but with more substantial interfaces/converters instead of the MicroBook, and I can process more separate channels from my Euro case.
I never heard of the microbook before.... i guess it's new? But more importantly, you can use a standard mono patch cable between the line out mini jack and your Euro with it? That would be extremely cool if so. I might have to pick one up even if that's the case.

s.l.o.w
Common Wiggler

Post by s.l.o.w » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:54 pm

The Microbook has been around for a while, but I guess not one of MOTU's top marketing priorities. I find it to be a great utility interface with the ins and outs that I need, very compact, pretty inexpensive, sounds good, bus powered, and plays nice with both Mac and iOS (haven't tried it with Windows).

The line out is stereo, and regular audio level, so will need the help of an input module to get things up to Euro levels. I use a 1/8" TRS cable and set up an aux send for each channel. With one of my cases I use an Erica Pico Input and the cable plugs in directly; with my Intellijel 7U case I use this Y adapter
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YMP-434-Ste ... B0010D0HO0
to plug into the case (which has an Audio I/O module).

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:23 pm

I use three Doepfer A-119's with a Korg CM-300 contact mic and a Radio Shack 'SM-58' dynamic mic. The A-119 is cool because as I'm jamming I can just use my voice to trigger things or send cv to control whatever. Then you can also process your voice or whatever is hooked up.

The Korg mic should be owned by everyone. It is $13.00 USD and works on anything: wood sheet, sheet metal, Remo practice tom, bongos, hollow body electric guitar - unplugged, etc.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:03 pm

s.l.o.w wrote:To the OP, you can use your Focusrite interface and any Euro input module to implement what I've described above. This works great for my workflow, when sometimes I want vocals and/or guitar to get processed by my modular, and sometimes I don't, and want to do vocals + guitar + modular. Just set up your routing accordingly, and you're off to the races. Depending on what I'm up to, I'll either use pedals/amp for guitar and studio outboard for vocals (whether or not I'm sending guitar and vocals to the modular) or just plugins in Live or iOS.
The Focusrite has line out for monitors. I'm thinking I can run the mic into channel 1 so that I can use the preamp, and run only the mic to the line out and then into the rack. And run the rack into channels 2 & 3 and send those to the DAW. But I'm not sure about unforeseen feedback issues with that setup.

hydrophilos
Common Wiggler

Post by hydrophilos » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:06 pm

One thing to be aware of is that there can be significant differences of latency depending on which modules you are going through with the mic. If they are all analog you’ll probably be fine...

s.l.o.w
Common Wiggler

Post by s.l.o.w » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:59 am

I'm thinking I can run the mic into channel 1 so that I can use the preamp, and run only the mic to the line out and then into the rack. And run the rack into channels 2 & 3 and send those to the DAW. But I'm not sure about unforeseen feedback issues with that setup.
As long as the mic is routed only to the line out, and the DAW only "sees" the return from the modular, the only feedback issues you should have are if you're monitoring or playing on speakers and the mic picks up the processed sound and feeds it back.

I assume the Focusrite has some routing/mixing software, and the DAW can also presumably route things to separate outputs, so you have a few options for routing flexibility (or things you need to check if something isn't working as expected). As the previous poster noted, you'll also need to think about latency, both with the modules, and also some round trips with the conversion (mic in to interface, out to modular, modular in to interface/DAW). But I'm doing perfectly fine with this myself with low enough buffer sizes on the MOTU Microbook.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”