Which filter with Verbos Harmonic Oscillator?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Akita
Learning to Wiggle

Which filter with Verbos Harmonic Oscillator?

Post by Akita » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:08 pm

I'm wondering which filters you use with the HO. Love to hear about your experiences! Not much to find about this online. A bit about the ATC and D4P but what are the other possibilities? Any examples would be great too! At the moment been pondering on getting the Dual 4 Pole but that's quite some real estate for my 104hp case. At the moment using Intellijel Quad VCA (great for second melodics!), Wasp and SEM filters but looking for some other options... thanks! :yay:
Last edited by Akita on Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:19 pm

The Harmonic Oscillator filter, naturally. ;)

Seriously though, this is a question that will be answered by everybody suggesting their favourite filters. And most of those can also be found on the Modulargrid top 30 list so you might aswell head over there, if you don’t want to wait for each of them being posted here.
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece using Instruō harmonàig and Cš-L. 🐡

Akita
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Akita » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:31 pm

Yes indeed, but on top of that I would like some extra smooth filtering

vytis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vytis » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:57 pm

Verbos Harmonic Oscillator > Amplitude & Tone Controller works great for me.
Also, Sputnik Quad VCF/VCA makes my HO shine.
If you haven't you should definitely check out Verbos ATC.

Akita
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Akita » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:55 pm

vytis wrote:Verbos Harmonic Oscillator > Amplitude & Tone Controller works great for me.
Also, Sputnik Quad VCF/VCA makes my HO shine.
If you haven't you should definitely check out Verbos ATC.
Hi! Been pondering about the ATC and checking a lot online, but not much examples of the ATC with the HO. A lot with the complex oscillator though... just wondering how it sounds... also saw some using the Polaris, with great sonic results... 8-)

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:33 pm

HO and ATC go well together.

http://soundcloud.com/robert-tree-hardy ... 80503-1908

I don't have my HO anymore but i still have the ATC i use it all the time its great.

vytis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vytis » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:36 pm

Akita wrote:not much examples of the ATC with the HO. A lot with the complex oscillator though... just wondering how it sounds...
The only sound source in this video is Harmonic Oscillator into ATC:

[video][/video]

goldi
Common Wiggler

Post by goldi » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:18 pm

@vytis love it, followed..

Akita
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Akita » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:31 pm

[video][/video]
That's a real emotive atmosphere you just transported us to... Thanks so much! The tones are somewhat softer and smoother than without a filter, with still some grain and squelch going on. Or am I mistaken? Are you also using your complex oscillator for bass or is it only HO? Only heard the squelchy scrapy sound from the complex osc. but maybe it's the HO coupled to the ATC? Also wondering how your instrument looks in total and how you sequenced the lovely progression with the FLXS1... :hihi: :love: :hail:
Last edited by Akita on Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Akita
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Akita » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:31 pm

TemplarK wrote:HO and ATC go well together.

I don't have my HO anymore but i still have the ATC i use it all the time its great.
thanks! very vowely... :woah:

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:34 pm

Akita wrote:
TemplarK wrote:HO and ATC go well together.

thanks! very vowely... :woah:
I will have just been messing about. You can get much more normal vintage tones too. This track the long intro at the beggining that stops around 1.50 was the HO and ATC too. with tons of verb the combo sounds great.

http://soundcloud.com/robert-tree-hardy ... unfinished

rew_
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rew_ » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:55 pm

you want to take an oscillator

whose entire purpose

is to add specific harmonics to a sine wave

and then subtract those same harmonics via a filter...

so that the oscillator sounds again more like a sine wave...

?!

do your tonal shaping via the harmonic oscillator!

vytis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vytis » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:30 am

Akita wrote:

[video][/video]
That's a real emotive atmosphere you just transported us to... Thanks so much! The tones are somewhat softer and smoother than without a filter, with still some grain and squelch going on. Or am I mistaken? Are you also using your complex oscillator for bass or is it only HO? Only heard the squelchy scrapy sound from the complex osc. but maybe it's the HO coupled to the ATC? Also wondering how your instrument looks in total and how you sequenced the lovely progression with the FLXS1... :hihi: :love: :hail:
Thank you so much! :stardance:

No, the Complex oscillator is not being used in this patch. No bass, no polyphony. Just the sole monophonic Harmonic Oscillator. The patch here is super simple. HO > Erica Synths Fusion Mixer (to blend the waveforms) > ATC > EHX reverb pedal. FLXS1 is outputting a sequence on Track 1a. I am gradually unmuting additional steps to add complexity / illusion of polyphony / harmony. FLXS1 is outputting an asynchronous decay envelope on Track 2b (at a different/odd subdivision). A bit of noise is FM'ing the HO - this gives it that scrapy / rusty character.

We're a bit off topic, but FLXS1 is a fantastic sequencer, and it's getting better all the time. I love it, but I'm currently using the ER-101 more. It can do different step lengths for wonky rhythms, which is not (yet) possible on the FLXS1. However, with FLXS1 you have so much more options, 4 modulation outputs, 128 preset slots, intermodulation between tracks, randomization - perfect for evolving sequences. As far as I'm aware Tenkai is working on adding different step lengths to the next FLXS1 firmware update.

There are more sounds with my system on my Instagram.

Cheers :cloud:

vytis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vytis » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:34 am

Here's a recent iteration of my live case. The top row is pretty much fixed. The bottom row is still changing:

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:42 am

rew_ wrote:you want to take an oscillator

whose entire purpose

?!

Kinda what I was thinking, although I can see the point of wanting to contour the sound, rather than use something that adds its own colour. So I'm thinking a dipole where you can use low and high pass peaks to create a big bandpass.

On the other hand this is modular, so the usual rules apply (there are no rules). :sb:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Skiff, Waveform Laboratory, Funboat

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:08 pm

cptnal wrote:

whose entire purpose

?!

Kinda what I was thinking, although I can see the point of wanting to contour the sound, rather than use something that adds its own colour. So I'm thinking a dipole where you can use low and high pass peaks to create a big bandpass.

On the other hand this is modular, so the usual rules apply (there are no rules). :sb:
^Some good points.

Rew, you realize that filters don't just linearly subtract harmonics, right? OP might be interested in the overtones added by overdriving the filter, the emphasis created by resonances, and the nonlinear behavior most filters exhibit, also the sine waves are not pure, mathematical sine waves, so a filter would allow you to smooth out that waveform far beyond what the HO is capable of on its own. If this were an ideal filter and an ideal harmonic oscillator, you might have a point, but the whole purpose of analog is that things don't work that way.

For the record, I've used ATC and 3 Sisters with the Harmonic Oscilator to great effect.
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Prunesquallor » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:58 pm

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
cptnal wrote:

whose entire purpose

?!

^Some good points.

Rew, you realize that filters don't just linearly subtract harmonics, right? OP might be interested in the overtones added by overdriving the filter, the emphasis created by resonances, and the nonlinear behavior most filters exhibit, also the sine waves are not pure, mathematical sine waves, so a filter would allow you to smooth out that waveform far beyond what the HO is capable of on its own. If this were an ideal filter and an ideal harmonic oscillator, you might have a point, but the whole purpose of analog is that things don't work that way.

For the record, I've used ATC and 3 Sisters with the Harmonic Oscilator to great effect.
It outputs squares and saws as well...
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

RIP Ziggy, the companion in my avatar.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:01 pm

Prunesquallor wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
cptnal wrote:

whose entire purpose

?!

^Some good points.

It outputs squares and saws as well...
Haha, good point. The saw out sounds particularly nice.
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

The Junglechrist
Ultra Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:38 am

Low pass gate of any kind are working very well for percussive or oragnic sounds using the final out.

The ATC works very well to add bite and dirt to the final out as well.

For the other classic waves any filter will do I think, I've been using my Dr Octature II and Q-Pas more recently with it and it very fun.
I do realy like to use the final out as a modulation source on different parameters of a filter that is filtering another VCO tuned to the same note with a slight detune to add some "harmonic phasing".

Stazma The Junglechrist / Repeat Eater: http://stazmathejunglechrist.com/

Electric Voyage Studio [Mastering / Mixing] : http://electricvoyage-studio.com

My label Concrete Collage : https://concretecollage.bandcamp.com/

Wired Brain Video Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh4pym ... vkKp6ofzVA

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:35 am

ATC is really great. The drive is really superb, nice wholesome fuzz. The resonance can get quite squelchy. It works well to smooth ou the sine waves of the HO if you want to, but it's even better to add even more harmonics all over the place.
instagram
soundcloud
dc11 - electron out on Cosmic Wave Records.

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:10 am

I use ATC often but it adds a lot of color. When I want it cleaner, I use Polaris. Optomix works nicely as well.

Sometimes I like to mix the saw with some of the sine harmonics before filtering.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:07 pm

What about getting some small cheapo mixers and two filters or a stereo/dual/quad filter and pipe different mixes of the individual partials through different processing chains?

Wracked with Guilt
Common Wiggler

Post by Wracked with Guilt » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:33 pm

Nice to see and hear some love for the Harmonic Oscillator, still my favourite analog VCO and the heart of a small 9U ambient system I've been playing with a lot over the last week. I think of the VHO as a sort of mini additive synth voice the doesn't really require much filtering

Lately I've been using it as a glorified impulse generator into the resonator section of MI Elements in Ringified mode. The ability to scan through the harmonic series of the VHO as it tickles Elements can generate some interesting and quite organic sounds.

I've manage to stumble across patches that are reminiscent of the Armenian duduk (a sort of oboe), cellos, celesta and broken set of bagpipes! I'm sure similar or better results could be had with Rings as well.

[video][/video]

The only filter I use in this setup is my old DIY Erica synths Polivoks, which I use on the output of elements, just to smooth off some of the harsher artefacts. It was chosen simply on the grounds that it fitted the case :hihi: .

I also highly recommend pairing the VHO with the Make Noise FXDF/RXMX combination:

[video][/video]

So much love for the VHO!

Wracked with Guilt
Common Wiggler

Post by Wracked with Guilt » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:45 pm

The Junglechrist wrote: I do realy like to use the final out as a modulation source on different parameters of a filter that is filtering another VCO tuned to the same note with a slight detune to add some "harmonic phasing".
That's a really interesting idea, can't wait to try this! Cheers

mattdennewitz
Common Wiggler

Post by mattdennewitz » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:03 pm

three sisters, ripples, and vcfq all sound great with it when adding some extra punch or resonance. i've had some fun with a very resonant r*s reseq, too.
-m

wiggle hunt, global synth gear search: https://wigglehunt.com

Return to “Eurorack Modules”