I'M OUT! Sugestions?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Chartreuse-J
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chartreuse-J » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:24 pm

If it's a lot of modules I'd ship or drive them to control mod in Portland, OR, or Control in Brooklyn, NY. Control in New York consign, but only control mod in Portland will consign by mail. Switched on Austin also consigns by mail.

Note: Control in Brooklyn requires in person consign due to NYS law. I've talked to Darren and you have to physically bring them in the store and show an ID.

Good luck, I lost my job a year or so ago, and contemplated selling it all this way, good thing I found another or I would be module less. (Since most modules hold their value pretty well, except in the extreme case where you make money with Cwejman)

Reverb is also another great way of selling.
Soundcloud
*Abstract Cat Pwns your life*

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:54 pm

So yeah, this is just my take, so take it with a grain of salt.
First thing that strikes me is that you have like seven generators, and that's not counting things that you can hack as a makeshift audio-frequency oscillator, like the Maths. Ditch like half of them, rounding up or down. I'll leave it up to you to decide which ones— but if it were me, the A111-5 and Benjolin definitely wouldn't make the cut.
It also strikes me that you have two phasers. If you don't mind breaking the Dreadbox set, I'd get rid of that one and stick with the Doepfer, unless you REALLY like phasers. In fact, I'd probably get rid of the entire Dreadbox set since the Clouds can make the Delay and Chorus effects basically redundant with proper tweaking.
Also, are you really using all that sequencing? Between the NerdSeq, Stilson Hammer, and Varigate you have 14 channels! If you're skilled with the NerdSeq, I'd ditch the Stilson and Varigate and just use that as my only sequencer. For modulation, I'd also look at some more analog alternatives to Pam's workout. Nothing against digital modules, but a lot of menu-driven interfaces just leave me cold.
I'm not going to tell you to get rid of the O'Tool, but I never really saw the point in having an oscilloscope in one's rack. Even Keith Emerson admitted that his was just eye-candy for the stage, I think. I mean MAYBE the tuner would be useful, but I wouldn't say it's $325 of useful. Then again, you already bought it so might as well keep it.

Anyways, that should at least get you started on narrowing the system.
Last edited by Yes Powder on Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:12 pm

"Fun" is lost for everything once in a while. I haven't touched my modular in many months now, it's just completely natural. Interests comes and goes, and comes back again.

When i was young (20-30) i did not understand this and often sold off stuff to later only regret it.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: I'M OUT! Sugestions?

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:24 pm

dirtbudda wrote:I have lost the fun of in it all so I'm selling of all my gear ...
Bummer.

Well, best of luck ... I hope you don't feel like you've made a massive mistake at some point ahead. Whatever it is you chose to do in the future I hope brings you joy.

Follow your heart. Carry on!

:tu: 8-)
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. given the choice between conformity and self respect, I choose the latter.
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gonkulator » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:58 pm

Well, if you have thought it through, so be it. Have you lost the fun of all synths, or just modular, or perhaps you need the money, or some combination of the above, or something else? If none of those questions are pertinent, I think you are probably stuck with parting them out, unless you want to take a bigger hit. If it is worth it to be rid of it all regardless of cost, like others have said, you could go the consignment route. However, I might be interested in a couple of items...
Racks
Solaris Site
Stuff for sale
Stuff for sale shown on Modulargrid
WTB: Black panels

Unflappably nonchalant, with some exceptions

sko87pro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sko87pro » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:39 am

Some people say that the modular hobby is like having a library. If you take this view then you could buy a small powered case and, using your library of existing modules, put together a small system that you enjoy making music with. When you finish a project, pull that system apart and assemble another small setup for your next project, from your library of modules.

Over time, if you never use certain modules, then maybe consider getting rid of those?

Just 0.02c

CaneMan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CaneMan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:51 am

I feel like I'm just repeating what everyone else said, but I see about 6U of pure joy and 9U of, "OMG I need more utilities!" I agree with everyone who's encouraging you to pick out your fav modules to make a smaller case and then pretend your other modules don't exist. Be ruthless in your focus on fun and limit yourself to 3U. (Bonus points if you start with just 3 modules.) Play it until you run out of ideas. Add the most obvious fun module from the rest of your kit. Do it all over again until you have, say, a maximum of 6U of fun. Then look at what you have left and decide if you want to sell those modules off.

One thing that stuck with me is this one guy I met at a modular meet-up. He said that he couldn't imagine what he'd do with more than 6U of modules. At this point, I have 18U of cases and 9U of modules. Will I fill up all that empty space? I'm not sure. I'm already more interested in swapping out modules than filling my 12U case.

peripatitis

Re: Link to mortimerSneed

Post by peripatitis » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:15 pm

dirtbudda wrote:https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/782856

First rack link. :yay:
Judging by this rack, i'd say sell, as if you asked for advice on that matter :)
but anyway...You might be theoretically missing a few more vca's or logic, or sample and holds but this is not a system void of the modular experience.

Perhaps a different system might inspire you more, perhaps not but no one ever calculates the time lost and the music lost from that experimentation.

nios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nios » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:00 pm

Suggestions:

- Zadar as a modulation source that'll quickly inspire

- A truly sweet-ass filter like Belgrad or Stereo Dipole. Wasp is nice, but very specific in sound, and Three Sisters... it's not bad, but it's very specific too

- A colorful sound source - Graphic VCO, Loquelic Iteritas, Hertz Donut / Piston Honda mkIII, or even a complex oscillator like DPO

Besides the Braids, your oscs are more on the vanilla side, and coupled with filters that really color tone strongly no matter what, I can see how things don't seem that exciting. Also for final stage, stereo stuff makes things get really interesting especially when you start sending left/right to different sections and modulating them differently - LRMSMSLR, Verbos Scan & Pan etc (not to mention Dipole) take things to that "holy shit" next level where as a whole, you start to think of your rig as the main piece, and any other synths/DAW VSTs you have etc as the supplements doing the simpler stuff (because they're incapable of touching the modular).

As for sequencing, I have no idea what you were doing with your modular, but if you use it at home/in a studio etc and already are very experienced with DAWs and so on, a MIDI interface of some type might help a lot to supplement things and give you flexibility that you seem frustrated in not finding in sequencers. If you're at home next to a computer anyway, I mean personally, honestly I tend to use my onboard sequencer generally for rhythmic modulation of oscs/filters/other mod sources etc rather than pitch, and for actual melodies and percussion, that is usually handled by DAW, a TR-8S etc. If you were playing live and need the entire studio in the rig, that's understandable, but if not, well maybe try integrating more into other gear.

Whelm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Whelm » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:18 am

I find it quite amusing that this person has made this thread trying to get rid of all their modular gear and the community has responded with a wide variety of suggestions of new things they could buy, instead.

Getting rid of stuff is not what people do around here, OP.

evileye0702
Ultra Wiggler

Post by evileye0702 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:00 pm

If you are dead set on selling it, unless you part it out you are going to take a huge hit. Nobody is going to want the exact system you have. Systems are just too personnel. They are only going to buy the whole system with the intention of selling some of those parts. Without a significant discount on your part, there will be no margin for them to break even/turn a profit on the modules they decide to sell.

It takes a little effort but you'll make a few hundred more dollars by parting it out. If you are reasonable with your selling prices, willing to negotiate (especially on multiple module purchases) the items should move pretty quick.

All that being said, modular, like many hobbies, requires a break periodically or you will get burnt out. Make sure you really want to part with it before selling. As many have said, this is far from a "complete" system. You could probably sell a few modules and for the same of lesser price improve the overall functionality.

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:09 pm

I used to go through this with guitars back in the day... I'd hit a slump, sell a nice instrument, and then months or years later I'd regret it and have to buy another guitar, usually when I could afford it least.

Think it through....

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:20 pm

Before modular I tried to never sell gear but it's hard to avoid now. So much stuff that people rave about just doesn't click and I don't have enough money to just sit on it or build a second case.

Plumbstone
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Plumbstone » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:46 pm

Was literally thinking the same as I got to your post!
Whelm wrote:I find it quite amusing that this person has made this thread trying to get rid of all their modular gear and the community has responded with a wide variety of suggestions of new things they could buy, instead.

Getting rid of stuff is not what people do around here, OP.

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:36 am

I’ll add to the chorus of if you want to get rid of it, get rid of it.

But part it out unless you are willing to take a big financial hit.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:26 am

joem wrote:This is why you'll see people in the BST forum who list the whole thing together, then drop the price several times, and then eventually piece it out when they get no one buying the whole thing together.
That is also due to survivors bias, the ones that sold, get edited with the body changed the "SOLD, mods please delete" whilst the ones incorrectly priced or haven't found a buyer yet, you see time after time for weeks or months.

Kinda like how people say there's only crappy deals on Craigslist/ pawn shops/ flea markets. Yes, but the good deals they had get sold and person deletes the listing or you no longer see the item, while the very high prices for junk gear (or whatever) keeps renewing his listing or stay on display, for months or even years.

People sell full systems all the time. If you part out a 30 module system, plus the case. You're looking at $10 per box, plus the case ends up being $50 let's say. If you sell in one shot, you'll ship the case at close to $50, and save close to $300 in shipping charges. The fees are the same either way since it's a % based system.

You can definitely offer a better price on a full system due to the shipping difference. If you're in a rush to get 'some money', piecing it out is the way to go, if you're not desperate i would at least give selling the whole system a shot, or pricing each module and then saying "save 10% by buying 3 or more modules" or some other discount. To say complete systems do not sell, is not accurate.
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:30 am

bemushroomed wrote:"Fun" is lost for everything once in a while. I haven't touched my modular in many months now, it's just completely natural. Interests comes and goes, and comes back again.

When i was young (20-30) i did not understand this and often sold off stuff to later only regret it.
There are one-off guitar pedals (fuzz mostly) that I highly regret selling, have even groveled for a Skinpimp one-off to the guy I sold it to and the guy told me to fuck off (!!!).

But cycling common pedals/ modules isn't too big of a deal imo. Vintage gear, guitars you particularly like... Things not so easily replaced, I'd think long and hard about, especially if you don't need the money but are just doing a spring cleaning.
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:06 pm

gentle_attack wrote:
But cycling common pedals/ modules isn't too big of a deal imo.
I guess, but it can turn out extremely expensive.. in my case i doubt i'd ever go back to it if i sold it off, both because it would be very time consuming + it would be a big additional cost to what i've already spent/lost.

Sometimes i do sell a module that i like (but not so much that i would totally miss it every time i use my modular), if i need the money.

I regret selling the Prophet-5 and some other analog gear in my youth.. but eh, it was impossible to tell at time what i wanted to do in the future or that these things would go up insanely in price.

intuitionnyc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by intuitionnyc » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:52 am

No reason why you can't offer it as both an entire lot and in pieces. I would also offer a pretty good discount if you wanna unload it all at once.

If it were me, my listing would look something like this:

I am asking $XXX for the whole rack. See individual prices next to each module for a la carte.

Then, you adjust the whole rack price as you sell each individual module.

Just my two cents

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:14 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
gentle_attack wrote:
But cycling common pedals/ modules isn't too big of a deal imo.
I guess, but it can turn out extremely expensive.. in my case i doubt i'd ever go back to it if i sold it off, both because it would be very time consuming + it would be a big additional cost to what i've already spent/lost.

Sometimes i do sell a module that i like (but not so much that i would totally miss it every time i use my modular), if i need the money.

I regret selling the Prophet-5 and some other analog gear in my youth.. but eh, it was impossible to tell at time what i wanted to do in the future or that these things would go up insanely in price.
If you live in Sweden (no offense meant, I wish I lived in Sweden!) maybe it's different. In the USA you're only out let's say $10 sending 2day priority, and maybe 3% for the paypal. I pretty much exclusively bargain hunt used (or wait around for 10-15% coupons if I buy new) so I often think if I buy a Boss DD-7 for $100, I can probably resell it for the same price, and I'll recoup $90 which doesn't seem like a big loss if I get some usage out of it.

If shipping was more expensive which it may be for you, I'd certainly feel differently if I was losing say $30+ every time I flipped something back to another person. I used to sell a lot of stuff locally, but there's so many dindongs trying to trade me a shotgun that backfires, an ATV with two flat tires, and a date with muh half sister for my nice kit, that it's barely even worth listing stuff locally anymore. Anything that your average stoner guitar player might want, I don't even bother0- but I've had some success selling synths and if you have something vintage, people flock to you immediately and pay good coin since they like touching it as opposed to via the internet.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”