Frap Tools USTA

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Juvenal
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Frap Tools USTA

Post by Juvenal » Thu May 14, 2020 3:45 am

Whatisvalis wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:01 pm
Anyone having issues syncing with Pam's?

I was playing with reset tonight and then noticed starting PNW the USTA takes a number of stages until it is synced to the clock. Not sure if that had anything to do with using the Aux input.
Pam's syncs perfectly for me if I use the following settings:
- One output on Pam's on 1x Modifier - connect this to the CLOCK jack
- Another output on Pam's set to 'ON' - connect this to the AUX jack
- In the global settings on USTA, set the Aux mode to RUN 4

This even works when I'm using stage time divisions. The very very first time you run it, it will lag a little, but once it 'catches up' for the first time, you can start and stop it without any weird time-stretching.

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Thu May 14, 2020 5:02 am

This ^

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Thu May 14, 2020 6:35 am

Juvenal wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:45 am
Whatisvalis wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:01 pm
Anyone having issues syncing with Pam's?

I was playing with reset tonight and then noticed starting PNW the USTA takes a number of stages until it is synced to the clock. Not sure if that had anything to do with using the Aux input.
Pam's syncs perfectly for me if I use the following settings:
- One output on Pam's on 1x Modifier - connect this to the CLOCK jack
- Another output on Pam's set to 'ON' - connect this to the AUX jack
- In the global settings on USTA, set the Aux mode to RUN 4

This even works when I'm using stage time divisions. The very very first time you run it, it will lag a little, but once it 'catches up' for the first time, you can start and stop it without any weird time-stretching.
Thanks - will try this tonight.

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Thu May 14, 2020 8:41 am

Further to what Juvenal said...
Here are the run modes (also listed in Manual One):

Mode Gate High Gate Low
Run 1 Reset, then stop Play
Run 2 Play Reset, then stop
Run 3 Stop, then reset Play
Run 4 Play Stop, then reset

I find Run 4 is the correct setting for Intellijel µMIDI, Expert Sleepers FH-2, Ableton CV Tools Clock Out, and Pamela.
Simone said Run 1 was what Doepfer A-190-4 needs, as it uses the opposite logic for the Play gate - run on gate low, and if the reset comes after the stop, when you start again, it starts at Stage 2.

I have µMIDI set up as my master clock source, which sends Run (gate high on play) to USTA, and the 16th clock to USTA. Then I have the 24PPQN clock and Reset trigger going to Pamela - which feeds various clocks to any of my other synchronized devices - Mimephon, Planar2, and optionally - Batumi, Quadrax and Stages.

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Sun May 17, 2020 1:37 pm

Random question: would it be possible to add a setting for LED brightness to the firmware? I just took my system outside and in the sunlight the amber LEDs are completely invisible, and the rest aren't much better. Happily the screen is still easily visible.

fjoesz
Common Wiggler

Post by fjoesz » Sun May 17, 2020 2:33 pm

I would really like prob/variation on stage length, how about you guys?

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Sun May 17, 2020 2:42 pm

fjoesz wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:33 pm
I would really like prob/variation on stage length, how about you guys?
I was just thinking that on Friday!
I'm going to submit that in the feature requests - anyone else who wants that - please put it in the form here:
https://frap.tools/firmwares/

another note about prob/variation... I am finding that any desire I had left for MArbles after I got rid of it is now gone. USTA has replaced this.
I found it was too difficult to get Marbles to generate something I could compose against - but with the quantization options on USTA as a guideline to generate arbitrary melodies, it has the same magic, but with better results. Probability on gates allows some open space in the melody - but variation in length would bring it to a whole different level.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sun May 17, 2020 3:10 pm

I still have and use both, but Marbles more for modulation and not pitch sequencing. I see what you mean though. I bet using the looping function with the USTA would provide some fantastic fun, but does indeed have some overlap result wise.
THUMPR BC SC

peachesandbacon
Common Wiggler

Post by peachesandbacon » Tue May 26, 2020 9:43 am

I’ve just put in a couple of feature requests as I can’t find a way to enable these functions in the current firmware.

But if someone knows a way to do these things, I’d love to hear how.

——

Firstly I was wondering if they can implement a note repeat function per stage.

It would be great to be able to quickly dial in a repeat.
Similar to the pulse function on the intellijel metropolis.

I understand you can do this for one stage using the stage loop. But if I want one stage to repeat 4 times and another stage to repeat 2 times I can’t find a way to do this.

I’d love it if it were as simple as pressing a stage encoder and it turned orange, or another unused colour and you can then adjust repeats per stage.

Secondly, how can I adjust the glide speed when the stages are green? They seem quite slow at reaching the note, it would be great if this was adjustable to give you the option of a more 303 type slide / glide which can be more musical.

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Tue May 26, 2020 10:00 am

peachesandbacon wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:43 am
I’ve just put in a couple of feature requests as I can’t find a way to enable these functions in the current firmware.

——

I understand you can do this for one stage using the stage loop. But if I want one stage to repeat 4 times and another stage to repeat 2 times I can’t find a way to do this.

I’d love it if it were as simple as pressing a stage encoder and it turned orange, or another unused colour and you can then adjust repeats per stage.

Secondly, how can I adjust the glide speed when the stages are green? They seem quite slow at reaching the note, it would be great if this was adjustable to give you the option of a more 303 type slide / glide which can be more musical.
The "ratchet" function you want - to repeat a stage is simple. When you are editing GT-A or GT-B, which even one is handing your gate/trigger, press the stage so it turns green. Then the dial knob will set how many repeats are on that stage (1-16) - ie. two lights subdivides the stage into two, and so on.

The second request - glide. This is not portamento/slew - which is what you are asking for. USTA does a ramp (slide) or transition when the pitch is set to green mode. This means that if the previous stage was C, and the current stage is set to E, and your stage length is set to 2 units - the stage will start at C and smoothly ramp up to E over two time units. It is not a slew/portamento effect. The glide speed is the entire length of the stage. The 303-effect is possible - but it requires multiple stages, and you would need to rework the timing of your stage lengths.

peachesandbacon
Common Wiggler

Post by peachesandbacon » Tue May 26, 2020 10:46 am

studioutopia wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:00 am
peachesandbacon wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:43 am

——

The "ratchet" function you want - to repeat a stage is simple. When you are editing GT-A or GT-B, which even one is handing your gate/trigger, press the stage so it turns green. Then the dial knob will set how many repeats are on that stage (1-16) - ie. two lights subdivides the stage into two, and so on.

The second request - glide. This is not portamento/slew - which is what you are asking for. USTA does a ramp (slide) or transition when the pitch is set to green mode. This means that if the previous stage was C, and the current stage is set to E, and your stage length is set to 2 units - the stage will start at C and smoothly ramp up to E over two time units. It is not a slew/portamento effect. The glide speed is the entire length of the stage. The 303-effect is possible - but it requires multiple stages, and you would need to rework the timing of your stage lengths.
Thanks for that. I’m aware of the ratchet feature.
But this is not the same as a repeat. The ratchet divides the stage up into sub divisions which is not a repeat.

A repeat (or pulse, as intellijel like to call it on the metropolis) literally repeats the note for the length of the stage (adding to the length of the whole sequence).

I also understand the slide feature. I just think it would be great to be able to adjust the speed of this in the track settings. It would make things much simpler and more musical to have this setting adjustable.

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Tue May 26, 2020 11:07 am

peachesandbacon wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:46 am
But this is not the same as a repeat. The ratchet divides the stage up into sub divisions which is not a repeat.

A repeat (or pulse, as intellijel like to call it on the metropolis) literally repeats the length of the stage adding to the length of the whole sequence.

I also understand the slide feature. I just think it would be great to be able to adjust the speed of this in the track settings. It would make things much simpler and more musical to have this setting adjustable.
Increasing the stage length and subdividing a gate on USTA would yield the same result as doubling a step on Metropolis, no?
Different workflow, I agree. But same results.
1/16th note stage length + no ratchets = 1/16th note = 1 metropolis step
1/4 note stage length + 4 ratchets = 4 x 1/16th notes = 1 metropolis step with 4 repeats.

Yes - it would be cool to have a track setting that allowed a global change in the track from 100% slide (what it currently is), to 1%, where the transition from the previous note value to the current stage value takes only 1% of the total stage length! That would be fantastic!
Another more complex option would be to add a fourth colour to the CV-A and CV-B modes that allowed you to go from 1-100% slide time on a per stage basis. If slide is disabled it has no effect.

peachesandbacon
Common Wiggler

Post by peachesandbacon » Tue May 26, 2020 11:18 am

studioutopia wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:07 am
peachesandbacon wrote:

A repeat (or pulse, as intellijel like to call it on the metropolis) literally repeats the length of the stage adding to the length of the whole sequence.

Increasing the stage length and subdividing a gate on USTA would yield the same result as doubling a step on Metropolis, no?
1/4 note stage length + 4 ratchets = 4 x 1/16th notes = 1 metropolis step with 4 repeats.

Yes - it would be cool to have a track setting that allowed a global change in the track from 100% slide (what it currently is), to 1%, where the transition from the previous note value to the current stage value takes only 1% of the total stage length! That would be fantastic!
Another more complex option would be to add a fourth colour to the CV-A and CV-B modes that allowed you to go from 1-100% slide time on a per stage basis. If slide is disabled it has no effect.
Agreed.
It is the same yes, but gets very fiddley and hard to switch between the two settings and get the length right and the ratchet right to do this effectively, quickly and musically.

If I want 3 repeats, then 7 and then 5 over three stages, then I’ll be there for 20 mins trying different lengths and ratchet amounts to replicate this.

If we could have a 4th colour to create an easy quick repeat / pulse of up to 16 per stage, this would be my dream sequencer.

Please Frap Tools. You’d make a lot of people very happy with this feature, Not to mention making the USTA a metropolis on steroids!

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Tue May 26, 2020 11:32 am

peachesandbacon wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:18 am
studioutopia wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:07 am
peachesandbacon wrote:

Agreed.
It is the same yes, but gets very fiddley and hard to switch between the two settings and get the length right and the ratchet right to do this effectively, quickly and musically.

If I want 3 repeats, then 7 and then 5 over three stages, then I’ll be there for 20 mins trying different lengths and ratchet amounts to replicate this.

If we could have a 4th colour to create an easy quick repeat / pulse of up to 16 per stage, this would be my dream sequencer.

Please Frap Tools. You’d make a lot of people very happy with this feature, Not to mention making the USTA a metropolis on steroids!
Just thinking about a design detail - what would happen with Gate B? Since both gates are dependent on stage length, this would override Gate B. I'll leave it to Frap to consider.

macio
Learning to Wiggle

Post by macio » Tue May 26, 2020 12:01 pm

Definetely I’m for portamento, which would be more musical than current slide. To achieve it right now I could use second gate channel and gated slew module.

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Tue May 26, 2020 6:03 pm

It's funny that everyone seems to want portamento functionality, because one of the main perks of Usta, to me anyway, is the slide feature.

If you want it to act like a portamento, you can set all the stage lengths to like 4x what you want them to be, set the clock ratio to something accordingly fast, and then use a slide stage with a length of 1 tied to the next stage, whose length would of course be reduced by 1 to retain your overall length. Ta da! portamento!

peachesandbacon
Common Wiggler

Post by peachesandbacon » Tue May 26, 2020 7:40 pm

fruitsnake wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:03 pm
It's funny that everyone seems to want portamento functionality, because one of the main perks of Usta, to me anyway, is the slide feature.

If you want it to act like a portamento, you can set all the stage lengths to like 4x what you want them to be, set the clock ratio to something accordingly fast, and then use a slide stage with a length of 1 tied to the next stage, whose length would of course be reduced by 1 to retain your overall length. Ta da! portamento!
That sounds like a massive workaround.

macio
Learning to Wiggle

Post by macio » Wed May 27, 2020 1:12 am

Yep, especially if you want add portamento to chosen steps during performance. Not to mention if you would like to create such a sequence on the fly.

peachesandbacon
Common Wiggler

Post by peachesandbacon » Wed May 27, 2020 1:30 am

For fast sequences. 120 - 130bpm with a ratio of 1:1, the slide really makes no sense at the moment.
It doesn't reach the note it's supposed to play in time with the slide on.

egon77
Learning to Wiggle

Post by egon77 » Wed May 27, 2020 2:41 am

I've put in a feature request for a simpler button combo for switching patterns on all tracks. The current button combo is at least 4-5 button presses. Hold set, press encoders for pattern start and end then double tap shift. I find it's hard to perform this function quickly, and quite hard to do with one hand. Often times I want to do something else simultaneously with my other hand, like mute/unmute a drum and it's quite hard to perform before the sequence makes the round. Does anyone agree here?

Perhaps, it's just my personal workflow. I tend to stack sequences based on the pattern number. So I'm often performing the all-tracks pattern switch button combo.

studioutopia
Common Wiggler

Post by studioutopia » Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am

fruitsnake wrote:
I agree. USTA is the first time I've experienced a sequencer that functions the way I want (mostly), and I keep hearing requests for changes to make it more like Metropolis - which is exactly what I don't want. If I wanted Metropolis or Rene2 - I'd buy one again.
My only real complaint is that changing patterns is a bit convoluted, and Song mode is useless for improvisation.
The main thing I want on USTA is CV-addressable patterns - where 0V = pattern1, 0.31V = pattern2, 0.62V = pattern3... and so on.

jfloftin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jfloftin » Wed May 27, 2020 8:27 am

studioutopia wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
fruitsnake wrote:
I agree. USTA is the first time I've experienced a sequencer that functions the way I want (mostly), and I keep hearing requests for changes to make it more like Metropolis - which is exactly what I don't want. If I wanted Metropolis or Rene2 - I'd buy one again.
My only real complaint is that changing patterns is a bit convoluted, and Song mode is useless for improvisation.
The main thing I want on USTA is CV-addressable patterns - where 0V = pattern1, 0.31V = pattern2, 0.62V = pattern3... and so on.
I like your thinking about a new feature in your last sentence... That would be way cool!

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Wed May 27, 2020 11:03 am

studioutopia wrote:
fruitsnake wrote:
I agree. USTA is the first time I've experienced a sequencer that functions the way I want (mostly), and I keep hearing requests for changes to make it more like Metropolis - which is exactly what I don't want. If I wanted Metropolis or Rene2 - I'd buy one again...
Right on. :tu:

macio
Learning to Wiggle

Post by macio » Wed May 27, 2020 11:36 am

studioutopia wrote:
fruitsnake wrote:
You’re oversimplifying. I don’t have Metropolis because I want more channels. I sold my rene because it so hard to sequence more complex sequences like with gate length etc. I like USTA because it is off grid and has missing features of previous one plus microtonality which was main selling point for me. I just wanted some features of those to be present in USTA. Maybe looking for sequencer is like looking for holy grail.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed May 27, 2020 9:33 pm

It is and workarounds are a part of making music from your mind. Luckily modular has a lot of tools that allow you to do those features with other modules if some do not.

I recently requested a feature to reSTATE the sequencer(return to the original sequence state), but it's not possible without the wink from correspondence. Very sad since it was one of the features I loved the most with the SHmk2. I could jank it up and destroy a sequence and then return to how it was initially if I just felt like working on my improvisation skills.

I now realize I'll never use 32 patterns and certainly I could keep the original state in the last patterns, so this was helpful for me.
THUMPR BC SC

Return to “Eurorack Modules”