>>>SUMMINGFACILITY 6 channels, 2 bus stereo mixer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Dunk_91
Common Wiggler

>>>SUMMINGFACILITY 6 channels, 2 bus stereo mixer

Post by Dunk_91 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:18 am

Hi everyone, after a long engineering and prototyping period, we are almost ready to go in production with our take on hi-quality analog summing.
SUMMINGFACILITY is a 6 channels, 2 buses stereo mixer.
We plan to start assembly the first batch next month, currently we are in component stocking phase. This post will be updated with more infos, photos and footage as we proceed with the assembly.

MODULARGRID: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unk ... gfacility-

>>>

MAIN FEATURES

6 fully balanced input channels with gain, volume, panorama, 2 aux send, independent mute for master and aux buses

2 aux send outputs with ground cancelling circuitry

2 fully balanced aux return Input with gain, panorama and independent master bus muting

Stereo master output with ground cancelling circuitry and 22 Vpp of headroom available

Hand assembled with audio grade components (0.5% thin film resistors, wima and panasonic caps, modern Op Amps) mounted on a 4 layer board

Expansion ports to add direct outs and inputs cue monitoring (available later 2019)

Mosfet reverse powering protection

Capabilities to run on higher supply rails (up to +-18 V) for stand-alone use

Skiff friendly (32 mm behind the panel)

Classic dual concentric Sifam knobs

38 HP

Also available with specific ground cancelling-to-balanced cables (standard patch cables are fully supported)

AGO - Audio Gear Obsession
audiogearobsession@gmail.com
Last edited by Dunk_91 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:32 am

Are the sends / returns mono or stereo?

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:53 am

Hello,

This looks super-cool. Well done :banana:

I’m wondering what the price is and how you think that this is a better solution than just using and outboard mixer. The form factor (internal vs. external) is a + or - depending upon the user and use case. Again, interesting product launch.

Kent

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:00 pm

Looks good but I wonder how dense it is in use for luxuriously upholstered (fat) fingers- especially the dual concentric feature?
Last edited by Multi Grooves on Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

Dunk_91
Common Wiggler

Post by Dunk_91 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:00 pm

cackland wrote:Are the sends / returns mono or stereo?
There are 2 sends, so you can us them as 1 stereo send or 2 mono sends.
Kent wrote:Hello,

This looks super-cool. Well done :banana:

I’m wondering what the price is and how you think that this is a better solution than just using and outboard mixer. The form factor (internal vs. external) is a + or - depending upon the user and use case. Again, interesting product launch.

Kent
Will reveal the final price in the near future :)
You are right, form factor is a personal preference. I've used this mixer a lot in the past months and I've found it to be perfect as a bus mixer to route your signals from inside the modular system to the external world (main mixing deks, outboards ecc). However it shine also as master mixer, feeded with all your sistem voices and routed to a PA in a live performance.
Multi Grooves wrote:Looks good but I wonder how dense it is in use for luxuriously upholstered (fat) fingers- especially the dual concentric feature.
Trust me, ergonomic wise is very easy and relaxing to use. Levels knobs are on the top side of the pot, so you will reach them first. Also upper knobs are only 11mm wide so they have lot of space around.
Bottom knobs (gain and send B) are 15mm wide so they are easy to grab also in a crowd situtation.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:06 pm

can you talk a bit about "fully balanced" inputs and what that means in a eurorack modular system?

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:07 pm

Thought they might be stereo jack sends / returns.

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:35 pm

Looks nice but without CV over anything I have to ask why make it for Euro?
tetno: https://soundcloud.com/richard-holhburn
Goiks: A eurorack setup is a contemporary folk instrument. Relatively accessible and portable. Largely by, of and for the people.

Dunk_91
Common Wiggler

Post by Dunk_91 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:25 pm

ignatius wrote:can you talk a bit about "fully balanced" inputs and what that means in a eurorack modular system?

Hi Ignatius, inside the modular system of course you don't have any benefits from modular inputs, but as long you start to use out mixer with external instruments, using balanced connections offers well known advantages :)
Also we have in the pipeline many other modules, and they will implements balanced I/O

Hi5 wrote:Looks nice but without CV over anything I have to ask why make it for Euro?
This is a classic question! :)
We see this device as an end-of-chain mixer/routing system. Almost every system is full of vcas, you can use on inputs and outputs, but integrate them in our design would make the circuit a lot more complicated and high priced. Instead we focused on offers the most clean, low noise and straightforward way to sum and route your voices.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:29 pm

Dunk_91 wrote:
ignatius wrote:can you talk a bit about "fully balanced" inputs and what that means in a eurorack modular system?

Hi Ignatius, inside the modular system of course you don't have any benefits from modular inputs, but as long you start to use out mixer with external instruments, using balanced connections offers well known advantages :)
Also we have in the pipeline many other modules, and they will implements balanced I/O
interesting. i'm all for it.. just curious how it's implemented here. and if it requires different patch cables.. trs vs ts.. is there a level change in audio somewhere?

Dunk_91
Common Wiggler

Post by Dunk_91 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:42 am

ignatius wrote:
Dunk_91 wrote:

interesting. i'm all for it.. just curious how it's implemented here. and if it requires different patch cables.. trs vs ts.. is there a level change in audio somewhere?
If you use unbalanced/modular sources you can just plug standard patch cables.
However our balanced inputs accept a wide range of signal sources without compromising the overall easy of use. To enjoy benefits of a balanced connection you must plug sources with balanced outputs and use trs cables (tip -> hot, ring -> cold and sleeve -> shield).
Using this configuration you get 6 dB of extra gain, useful when you are importing signals from a standard line level source.

We aimed to a easy and effective way to combine signals from various sources without any hassle beside using the right cable :mrgreen:

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:24 am

ooooh big and beautiful :love:
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

Dunk_91
Common Wiggler

Update

Post by Dunk_91 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:12 am

In the meantime here you a couple of photos of the board :guinness:

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:02 pm

Looks nice :tu:

Dunk_91
Common Wiggler

Post by Dunk_91 » Sun May 05, 2019 1:10 pm

Nothing better than a rainy day to give a spin on our old thrusty bench!
For those who love "air" in their mixes, 30 kHz are not a problem here. Nice and clean sines at 10 Vpp and you still have so much headroom to park a van :hihi:

Also for op amp lovers if you knows these two babies you will not be disappointed knowing we have used them :tu:

Funch

Post by Funch » Sun May 05, 2019 1:21 pm

Will there be a black panel option?

Dunk_91
Common Wiggler

Post by Dunk_91 » Sun May 05, 2019 4:29 pm

Funch wrote:Will there be a black panel option?
Hi Funch, not immediately but we will offer them later :)

Virusinstaller
Common Wiggler

Post by Virusinstaller » Sun May 05, 2019 6:27 pm

That is a serious nice looking mixer especially with the VU Meyers. Proper space shuttle stuff

sir stony
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sir stony » Mon May 06, 2019 12:40 am

Granted, this looks like quality stuff.
But sorry for saying this so plainly, the features are so badly misjudged for the use in eurorack, I wouldn't even want it if I got it as a present... :despair:

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Mon May 06, 2019 1:21 am

sir stony wrote:Granted, this looks like quality stuff.
But sorry for saying this so plainly, the features are so badly misjudged for the use in eurorack, I wouldn't even want it if I got it as a present... :despair:
Care to elaborate?

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Mon May 06, 2019 1:40 am

Sorry to harp more on the "classic question", but is there any possibility of adding cv control over panning and aux sends via an expander later?

Both of these features cannot easily be added anywhere else in the system, but have to happen at the end-of-chain mixer (as implementing them at another point would basically mean you wouldn't need the mixer anymore). I cannot see myself being interested in this if that means giving up cv control over panning, that's just way too useful for many applications.

Looks really nice, though.

Joey P.
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Joey P. » Mon May 06, 2019 2:58 am

First off, I commend you on prioritizing audio quality. That said, I have to agree with sir stony and x2mrko.

No CV control over aux sends and pan is a non starter. Aux sends are kind of useless to me in a euro mixer without cv control. And with modules such as Mixology and the new X-pan supporting audio rate CV panning, this is a bit of a step backwards in the Eurorack mixer dept.

A CV expander option would certainly put it on my wish list.

drxcm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Mon May 06, 2019 4:57 am

I don't get it

No CV
Mono returns
Balanced inputs?

Doesn't seem to fit with eurorack workflow for me. Turn it into a small standalone device with 1/4" jacks and inserts on the out and I'd be into it though!

ZenitSar
Common Wiggler

Post by ZenitSar » Mon May 06, 2019 10:15 am

Looks excellent for my use, but I imagine rather expensive.

ZenitSar - Solo modular
CV - SciFi Rock

Dunk_91
Common Wiggler

Post by Dunk_91 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:09 am

sir stony wrote:Granted, this looks like quality stuff.
One of our goals was to create a "no pain" medium to connect eurorack systems and non-eurorack devices.
For example.. you want to plug an external source with balanced output into your modular through a long run cabling, balanced input capabilities help a lot in this scenario.
Note that our input stages are perfectly compatible with standard patch cables, they just remove the limit of unbalanced-only connections to the external world.
x2mirko wrote:Sorry to harp more on the "classic question", but is there any possibility of adding cv control over panning and aux sends via an expander later?

Both of these features cannot easily be added anywhere else in the system, but have to happen at the end-of-chain mixer (as implementing them at another point would basically mean you wouldn't need the mixer anymore). I cannot see myself being interested in this if that means giving up cv control over panning, that's just way too useful for many applications.

Looks really nice, though.
I understand your point but this device is meant for another task.
The Summingfacility role is to deliver a low-noise, clean, headroom-oriented devices to mix and route your main signals regardless if they are intra-modular or externals.
Adding CV capabilities would impact on audio performance, our very first goal!
Most eurorack systems are plenty of CV modulation capabilities, so we didn't feel the need to add "extra sauce" on the final mixing stage too.
Joey P. wrote:First off, I commend you on prioritizing audio quality. That said, I have to agree with sir stony and x2mrko.

No CV control over aux sends and pan is a non starter. Aux sends are kind of useless to me in a euro mixer without cv control. And with modules such as Mixology and the new X-pan supporting audio rate CV panning, this is a bit of a step backwards in the Eurorack mixer dept.

A CV expander option would certainly put it on my wish list.
We offers different options from Mixology and X-pan since Summingfacility is designed for a different usage.
The flowchart I've attached below should be clarificatory.
drxcm wrote:I don't get it

No CV
Mono returns
Balanced inputs?

Doesn't seem to fit with eurorack workflow for me. Turn it into a small standalone device with 1/4" jacks and inserts on the out and I'd be into it though!
The unit has 2 Returns with panning stage to place the signal across the stereo field so you can use them as single stereo or as dual mono.
The Input stages allows both unbalanced (standard patch cables) and balanced connections, not only balanced.
By the way our device can shine as standalone, you just need a small case and the correct cables and you're ready to plug any source into it :tu:

I hope this flowchart clarify why we implemented these features.

Last edited by Dunk_91 on Mon May 06, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”