Research into Eurorack and its Community

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

foxman1010
Learning to Wiggle

Research into Eurorack and its Community

Post by foxman1010 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:36 pm

Hey everyone!

I am conducting research through Bloomsburg University into Eurorack Synthesis and the community revolving around this format. If you wish to help me out, below is a link to a survey. It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes, and your information is completely anonymous. It will not be utilized outside of this academic research and the publications it inspires.

Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TKGHF5N

I really appreciate the help. Feel free to spread the survey to other modular synth enthusiasts! Feel free to reply to this post with questions or comments regarding the survey. Thank you for your time!

*edit: @oudplayer raised a good point. I did not properly identify myself and did not properly explain the research I am conducting or why.

My name is Gavin Fox, I am an English Literature Major at Bloomsburg University. I am conducting this undergraduate research with a goal of asserting that the Eurorack Synth Community is a Fandom. Fandom, in this case, is meant to designate a community that is devoted to a certain thing (such as a novel like Harry Potter) beyond a normal interest. For purposes of the survey, fandom can mean whatever it means to the subject, for better or worse. It is a rather menial task, and I am only requesting the most basic information (i.e. Age, Gender, and synth preferences). According to the American Association for Public Opinion Research, I am not gathering any data that is considered Personally Identifiable Information. Therefore, this research project is not subject to IRB approval, under the Office of Human Research Protections, Title 45 CFR §46.104 (d)(2)(i).
If anyone has any questions, comments, or issues with this, feel free to leave a reply in the thread or email me directly: gmf96707@huskies.bloomu.edu
Last edited by foxman1010 on Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

oudplayer
Common Wiggler

Post by oudplayer » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:10 pm

I find it bit strange to see a request by an unnamed researcher to participate in a research project on behalf of a public, US-based university without, say, any indication that there's an approved IRB in place. You are collecting demographic information, so the survey would be governed by the Common Rule requirements. So, let us know about some of this stuff, and that should hopefully help other muffs readers better assess whether or not they want to participate in the study, and the potential implications of their doing so.

foxman1010
Learning to Wiggle

Post by foxman1010 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:24 pm

oudplayer wrote:So, let us know about some of this stuff, and that should hopefully help other muffs readers better assess whether or not they want to participate in the study, and the potential implications of their doing so.
Thank you for pointing out my mistake! I have edited the post. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

oudplayer
Common Wiggler

Post by oudplayer » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:45 pm

Great! Thanks for clarifying, and good to meet you Gavin.

-oudplayer (eliot)

Phitar
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:50 pm

Define Fandom. And exactly how does Fandom connect with English Lit? :hmm:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Never bring a spork to a gunfight. - Guns Akimbo

kamindustries
Common Wiggler

Post by kamindustries » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:08 pm

I completed the survey as best I could, but when I clicked Done, it took me to the top and cleared the form. I clicked Done again with the cleared form to see if it would do the same thing, but that seemed to actually submit it, so I probably just submitted blank responses.

foxman1010
Learning to Wiggle

Post by foxman1010 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:14 pm

kamindustries wrote:I completed the survey as best I could, but when I clicked Done, it took me to the top and cleared the form. I clicked Done again with the cleared form to see if it would do the same thing, but that seemed to actually submit it, so I probably just submitted blank responses.
That's strange. I don't have any blank submissions as far as I can tell, so hopefully your data went through. Thanks for participating!

foxman1010
Learning to Wiggle

Post by foxman1010 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:19 pm

Phitar wrote:Define Fandom. And exactly how does Fandom connect with English Lit? :hmm:
I have provided a brief description of Fandom in the post now, thanks for the suggestion!

As far as Literature is concerned, this is a course that is required for all English Majors at my University. Its purpose is to help students with real-world applications of the Major (if there are any) and to help focus concentrations. The professor just happened to be studying literary fandoms prior to teaching the course and decided it was as good a topic as any for students to research.

Joey P.
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Joey P. » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:42 pm

I wouldn't consider Eurorack a "fandom" is because it is a tool. "Fandoms" are generally creations in themselves...music, movies, books, or personalities. I guess you need to ask, can you use a Fandom to create something that could become a Fandom?

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:09 pm

Done! Good luck with your research. :sb:
909, manic trilling courtesy of Make Noise René and DPO, wavetable bass by Disting and some soft melodies by the Korg Minilogue. I mainly sat and watched it all unfold. :eek:

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:06 am

oudplayer wrote:I find it bit strange to see a request by an unnamed researcher to participate in a research project on behalf of a public, US-based university without, say, any indication that there's an approved IRB in place. You are collecting demographic information, so the survey would be governed by the Common Rule requirements. So, let us know about some of this stuff, and that should hopefully help other muffs readers better assess whether or not they want to participate in the study, and the potential implications of their doing so.
The Feds significantly relaxed the human subjects regs for social sciency researchers a year or two ago. This project should easily be exempted.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Research into Eurorack and its Community

Post by synonymist » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:35 am

foxman1010 wrote:...My name is Gavin Fox, I am an English Literature Major at Bloomsburg University. I am conducting this undergraduate research with a goal of asserting that the Eurorack Synth Community is a Fandom. Fandom, in this case, is meant to designate a community that is devoted to a certain thing (such as a novel like Harry Potter) beyond a normal interest. For purposes of the survey, fandom can mean whatever it means to the subject, for better or worse.
Hello Gavin. As a nearly lifelong musician, and an audio synthesist in some capacity since the mid-1970s, my principal interest in eurorack is as its being an instrument, or a platform for contriving instruments.

Like bass guitars, instrument amplifiers, and pedals, synthesizers are instruments to me. Like the component parts of an instrument amp (preamp, amp, speaker) or a pedalboard (pedals), the modules in a eurorack synth are instruments to me as well.

My devotion is to beauty; to rendering instances of audible beauty and culturo-aesthetic interest by means that are fascinating, apprehensible, and available to me.

That doesn't qualify as fandom, I think. But if you think it does, please let me know and I will consider taking your survey.

Good luck with your research in any case.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:41 am

a bit non-scientific that you qualify your subject before the results are analyzed - as if you want/suppose Eurorack to be Fandom ; it narrows possible outcomes of your survey // anyway, done

IEC
Wiggling with Experience

Post by IEC » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:27 am

whats is defined scientifically as a fandom ? :miley:

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:59 am

Completed!

I am interested in the definition of fandom given - how does one gauge a degree of “ interest” being normal or abnormal when it is the field of interest that is unusual. What are the benchmarks for making this kind of judgement?

I am also asking that because there is nothing in the survey that directly addresses my degree of interest (hours spent doing it, hours spent talking about it, cost of equipment, disruption to “normal life”, how much leisure time I spend on other activities, whether modular synthesis is a source of income (my profession) or a purely amateur activity. Surely all relevant questions?

Is JK Rowling a Harry Potter fan or a Harry Potter practitioner?

Hale
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Hale » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:37 am

Completed.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:40 am

Making a falsifiable hypothesis and testing it with data is indeed a scientific approach. Just asking "do you agree with me" probably isn't the most rigorous way of quantifying it though. You might want to identify the characteristics of a "fandom" (which is an unnecessary neologism IMHO, but I filled it out anyway) and test whether the community, or members of it, exhibit these.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

strawberry
Common Wiggler

Post by strawberry » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:15 am

Done

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:25 am

I think one can be a "fan" of something without it being a "fandom." Do people refer to the fan community of a sports team as a fandom, for instance?

To me it's more of a specific term about how people relate to fictional works, especially settings with multiple works. Taking a piece of entertainment, and then extending it through not just discussion but also costuming, collectibles, fan art and fan fiction, following the writers/actors as celebrities, etc.

I mean, I kind of see a few similarities there, but we're not exactly writing Tony Rolando/Mylar Melodies slash fiction here, going to Superbooth dressed up as Clouds, collecting 1/7 scale figures of Richard Devine's rig or inventing tactical board games based on Rainmaker.

...come to think of it, a 1/7 scale figure of Richard Devine's rig might not be that much bigger than my actual synth :lol:

adaris
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adaris » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:44 am

I know you say "For purposes of the survey, fandom can mean whatever it means to the subject", but to some of us at least, it means nothing at all because we've never even heard the term before now. So I think including "I don't know" as one of the possible responses might yield different results. Certainly that's what I would have checked. But if you wanted to encourage people to give an answer, it probably would have been best to include a definition of "fandom" on the survey itself right before asking the question.

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:25 am

So i guess behind the fandom term lies the idea implied that this niche of the music world is a hobby?
Have you created similar surveys for oboists, pianinsts, violinists, etc?

Surely a harry porter book club, is not the equivelant of what he have here...

mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mskala » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:32 am

Ask for: research subjects
Get: advice from non-researchers on whether the technical terms of your field should have different definitions

Yep, that's Muffwiggler (and the Net in general).

However, to add to the pile, I think "subculture" may be a more useful description of what the OP is getting at, as described in https://meaningness.com/geeks-mops-sociopaths. The word "fandom" is already in wide use to mean something else, a specific limited class of subcultures based on specific fictional works, to which modular synthesis pretty clearly doesn't belong.

emilng
Learning to Wiggle

Post by emilng » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:51 am

starthief wrote: I mean, I kind of see a few similarities there, but we're not exactly writing Tony Rolando/Mylar Melodies slash fiction here, going to Superbooth dressed up as Clouds, collecting 1/7 scale figures of Richard Devine's rig or inventing tactical board games based on Rainmaker.
Fandom manifests itself in different ways including how fan social structures refer to themselves. We don't refer to ourselves as a fandom because we don't necessarily relate to the groups that refer to themselves as fandom. Otherwise the Eurorack community could still be considered a fandom based on how its members relate to each other and the objects of their fandom.

Rather than fantasy sports leagues or slash fiction we have modulargrid racks filled with modules we don't own.

Instead of talking about sports instead of playing or discussing comics instead of creating them, we discuss modules that haven't been released instead of making music.

This isn't mutually exclusive just as there are many sports fans who play the sports and many comic fans who create comics, most eurorack fans do create music, but most of this forum is fandom and not actually about making music.
mostly modular experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/maztik8r

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:09 am

emilng wrote:Rather than fantasy sports leagues or slash fiction we have modulargrid racks filled with modules we don't own.
Is that really typical? My public MG reflects what I actually own; my private one is a planning tool for what I have preordered and/or intend to buy and how to arrange it. To me it's more a planning tool rather than... fiction.
emilng wrote:most eurorack fans do create music, but most of this forum is fandom and not actually about making music.
I just can't agree with this. :despair: We're discussing tools (and techniques) for making music.

I could blather on all day about the thoughts and theory (or lack of it) and process behind the music I make -- but since most people here are musicians, they would rather talk about the tools they use (or could use) to make music themselves.

To me, something closer to fandom would be a forum that was primarily about Richard Devine or Lightbath or Nathan Moody or Caterina Barbieri -- celebrating their creative output, worshipping and stalking them, obsessing over their gear specifically (rather than interesting gear in general) and perhaps trying to make derivative or imitative works.

Groundloop
Common Wiggler

Post by Groundloop » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:19 am

starthief wrote:I mean, I kind of see a few similarities there, but we're not exactly writing Tony Rolando/Mylar Melodies slash fiction here, going to Superbooth dressed up as Clouds, collecting 1/7 scale figures of Richard Devine's rig or inventing tactical board games based on Rainmaker.

...come to think of it, a 1/7 scale figure of Richard Devine's rig might not be that much bigger than my actual synth :lol:
:yay:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”