WMD Crucible

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

DonaldCrunk
pregnant with sound

Post by DonaldCrunk » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:26 pm

MindMachine wrote:
DonaldCrunk wrote:I tried Crucible this weekend as well, and it's really their most impressive percussion module yet IMO. It sounded great, lots of punch to the cymbal sound for sure. Amazing ride cymbal noises. Paired with the Metron it was a lot of fun.
Mr. Crunk was it also able to get into gong/clanging metal/brass bowl territory?
I couldn’t really get it to do much with long sustained fundamental pitches like that, though layered with a more traditional oscillator I bet it would be perfect

NastyNachos
Common Wiggler

Post by NastyNachos » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:51 pm

Hey y'all!

We've taken some time to extend Crucible's range and allow it to get to more experimental and wild sounding territories.

Here's a video of William's last Freq Performance recorded this past Monday. He used two crucible prototypes as well as another couple prototypes for this 6U performance.

Stay tuned for the interview after the 20 minute set for some incite into how he was using the crucibles and what he was working on.

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:34 pm

Just an embed of the above link.

[video][/video]
VINO MALO | Designer and Software Developer for WMD

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Tue May 07, 2019 6:33 pm

Black face plate looking good!

Jtalton
Common Wiggler

Post by Jtalton » Tue May 07, 2019 8:56 pm

Holy fuck the 20min mark is fucking madness. i need to practice and get some skill, jesus

c0rpse wrote:Just an embed of the above link.

[video][/video]

rew_
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rew_ » Tue May 07, 2019 10:35 pm

I think this is the coolest-sounding drum module in a minute but I thought it looked better in silver!

Buyakasoundman
Common Wiggler

Post by Buyakasoundman » Tue May 07, 2019 11:52 pm

Yeah, I much prefer their silver color scheme. I appreciate bringing the faceplate fabricating in-house, but the new black Crucible looks DIY to me, and not in the charming way.

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Wed May 08, 2019 12:25 pm

Really looking forward to the Crucible, but not digging the black panel either. Not trying to be negative, but hopefully offer some consumer feedback.

pixelforest
Common Wiggler

Post by pixelforest » Thu May 09, 2019 11:01 am

in the in depth video alex says that the black is their "new panel process [....] for all WMD modules moving forward"...I certainly hope not, the silver panels look great and the black panels are a very different look that somehow loses the cleanness and makes it look like a lot of DIY modules. Hopefully the silver continues to be an option. If not, maybe we can figure out who was doing the silver ones and get them to sell it as an aftermarket part. Would rather not put a black chimera next to my silver arpitecht, triad, metron, fracture, etc.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Thu May 09, 2019 11:37 am

Yeah it's a shame I love their classic panel. Very thick, superb quality and clear. I hope they can combine in-house and offer the choice of colour.
instagram
soundcloud
dc11 - electron out on Cosmic Wave Records.

johny_gtr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Thu May 09, 2019 11:50 am

Module sounds superb, Silver panel looks not bad but black looks cheesy.
Some engineers like Mutable Instruments and XAOC can take advices.

qwertyuiop
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qwertyuiop » Thu May 09, 2019 12:07 pm

I think the black panel would look better with different knobs.

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Thu May 09, 2019 12:33 pm

I’m putting in another vote for sticking with silver.

I have Fracture, Chimera, and a couple rows of other WMD stuff. I bought WMD attenuators and other utilities to go in that section largely because it all looks so good as a cohesive block. And this was just in preference to other silver-paneled modules that I already had, like the Thonk AT-AT-AT..

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Thu May 09, 2019 12:51 pm

agreed that the black panel above looks shitty. cheapish.
really hope that "this" is NOT their new style.
black is ok.......but donne with more style
For sale:........it won´t sell, so i stopp bother you ;)

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu May 09, 2019 12:59 pm

Graphic design has never been WMD’s strong suit.

visible cow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by visible cow » Thu May 09, 2019 1:30 pm

I would love to see WMD make a standalone drum machine. This thing sounds incredible.

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Fri May 17, 2019 6:30 am

rew_ wrote:I think this is the coolest-sounding drum module in a minute but I thought it looked better in silver!
+1

I will hold off buying Crucible until it's available with a silver panel.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Fri May 17, 2019 9:06 am

My OG silver Fracture and Chimera are now collectors items!

Black Crucible will fit nicely between them, and since all 3 modules look basically the same, it'll nicely break things up visually.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Mon May 20, 2019 6:29 pm

Curious why people think it looks cheap or whatever. I have mine now, and the panel is a step above - the labelling is actually etched in. Kind of outclasses the old panels, IMO.As far as color choices, seems like if they can offer both, would be a good move

Also, it sounds great! Fracture and Chimera are cool, but this just has a very detailed presence.

denuir
Common Wiggler

Post by denuir » Mon May 20, 2019 7:32 pm

Agreed. The black panel is class, received mine today. A full WMD system with these black panels would look quite gorgeous - especially with those lavender LEDs they have on some of their modules like Spectrum.
Zymos wrote:Curious why people think it looks cheap or whatever. I have mine now, and the panel is a step above - the labelling is actually etched in. Kind of outclasses the old panels, IMO.As far as color choices, seems like if they can offer both, would be a good move

Also, it sounds great! Fracture and Chimera are cool, but this just has a very detailed presence.

Nino
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nino » Mon May 20, 2019 8:28 pm

Only thing i hate about the black panels is that now i want a black Metron. Looked so cool in the vid. Knight Rider flavour, yummy.

Honestly "that looks shitty, i hope that's not their new style" does make me a bit sad, yet i assume the guys over at WMD know how to take it. It's so disappointing to see people comment that way over others constructive work and all the time they invested. Critizising "is ok ... but done with more style".

Also wanna emphasize the comment that was about making new and innovative approaches rather than just copying decades old stuff – much appreciated, WMD! :sb:

i don't mean to judge people who can't work with a rack that has no unified look. In the end i'm just happy for myself i don't put aesthetics (don't read UI) in the first place. While i understand that the look of an instrument can be inspiring or not, interesting music is not made by a faceplates color. Reminds me of the "i cannot make any more music until Clouds mk2 comes out" fraction. 8-)

oudplayer
Common Wiggler

Post by oudplayer » Mon May 20, 2019 9:23 pm

I saw a couple of the black modules at superbooth and they looked ok/professional. I think the main concern was durability; the black process allows for modules that will look the same for years to come. In comparison, with heavy use the silver ones will become like the demos at schneidersladen, where none of the controls are legible anymore. Metalphoto costs quite a bit more to pull off methinks.

rew_
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rew_ » Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 pm

Nino wrote:Critizising
:cookiemonster:
Nino wrote:i don't mean to judge people who can't work with a rack that has no unified look. In the end i'm just happy for myself i don't put aesthetics (don't read UI) in the first place. While i understand that the look of an instrument can be inspiring or not, interesting music is not made by a faceplates color. Reminds me of the "i cannot make any more music until Clouds mk2 comes out" fraction. 8-)
strawman, no one is saying this 8-)

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Tue May 21, 2019 1:39 am

Id like to see it with a matte brass plate....even better if it was a bit beaten with texture like a gong or old cymbal.

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Tue May 21, 2019 2:09 am

Illwiggle wrote:Id like to see it with a matte brass plate....even better if it was a bit beaten with texture like a gong or old cymbal.
Epinasty aka tragedybysyntax used to do stuff like this. Maybe he still does?

His work is pretty amazing- maybe shoot him a PM and see if he’s still doing custom panels?

Iron Ether made a killer hand-etched panel for my early Pithoprakta before he switched over to using Metalphoto panels on those. Not sure if he does custom work, but it couldn’t hurt to ask.

I’m still hoping for a Crucible panel that’ll match my Fracture and Chimera. And I’d be willing to pay a lot extra for it.. No matter how nice the new panels are, making the switch right in the middle of my drum rack probably isn’t going to happen.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”