WMD Crucible

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu May 23, 2019 1:52 pm

I can confirm the etched crucible panel looks far better in person than it did in the intro video. It’s mediocre graphic design—an improvement for WMD—but in any case, the fabricated result is quite polished.

I can also report that XAOC Zadar makes an interesting exciter for Crucible. Will try to put together a demo soon.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri May 24, 2019 3:50 pm

This is one Crucible being excited through the INPUT jack by randomly chosen envelopes from ZADAR. I’m also modulating TONE, EXCITE, DEFORM, SIZE. DECAY and VELOCITY with various outs from a Vector Space (driven by LFOs and random fluctuations). An LFO is panning the voice slowly back and forth, and there’s a little Big Sky (ROOM) reverb. The three algorithms are represented in approximate thirds of the span of the track. For the last third—the metal sheet algorithm—I yank the SIZE modulation, because changes to SIZE affect pitch with this algorithm (a weird effect in a way some people will find good).

https://soundcloud.com/mdoudoroff/wmd-crucible-demo

nihilicious
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nihilicious » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:00 am

I've had Crucible for a few days and it's tons of fun, especially with ample modulation (I've been using Batumi and Voltage Block). As a drummer, I was looking for something exactly like this -- it sounds really, really good to me. Throw in a delay and it's magic.

He_lium
Common Wiggler

Post by He_lium » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:33 am

Is it also possible to use Crucible as a VCO (no tracking obviously) for drone ?

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:49 pm

Not quite a VCO, but in the sheet mode with the decay all the way up you do get some long tones that are VCO like. Of course, you could just use the input which might get you where you want to go.

He_lium
Common Wiggler

Post by He_lium » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:44 pm

yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:Not quite a VCO, but in the sheet mode with the decay all the way up you do get some long tones that are VCO like. Of course, you could just use the input which might get you where you want to go.
Thanks! About the input... around 16:00

bonjourmyfriends
Common Wiggler

Post by bonjourmyfriends » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:25 am

[video][/video]

WMD Crucible sound demo from Superbooth

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:16 am

I'd love to see a hi hat module that has similar techniques to this so you can really dial in some hats like a live player gorgeous open and half open "shhhh" etc. I have to admit I wish i could play drums just to play a hi hat i feel live hi hats give a track so much more livelyness and groove when played right.

This is tempting but i just don't use rides all that much

nihilicious
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nihilicious » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:49 pm

I would also love to see a similar approach with a hi-hat module. Would be a killer combo.

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:20 pm

nihilicious wrote:I would also love to see a similar approach with a hi-hat module. Would be a killer combo.
Imagine a hit hat module like this with a parameter where you could how much of the hats were touching each other then another parameter that took that touch in a circle if you get me as if someone had a finger and thumb closing a hi hat then ran in a circle around it whilst you hit it!!!

Shit. That would be sick actually!

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:43 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:This is one Crucible being excited through the INPUT jack by randomly chosen envelopes from ZADAR. I’m also modulating TONE, EXCITE, DEFORM, SIZE. DECAY and VELOCITY with various outs from a Vector Space (driven by LFOs and random fluctuations). An LFO is panning the voice slowly back and forth, and there’s a little Big Sky (ROOM) reverb. The three algorithms are represented in approximate thirds of the span of the track. For the last third—the metal sheet algorithm—I yank the SIZE modulation, because changes to SIZE affect pitch with this algorithm (a weird effect in a way some people will find good).

https://soundcloud.com/mdoudoroff/wmd-crucible-demo
Thanks for reminding me to think outside the box!

I saw "input" and of course fed some audio into it. Was kind of cool, but then saw your post so tried giving input some random voltages- I used Pam's, set that channel to random at half tempo and a fairly high "skip" percent, used along with a trigger. Really cool tones, every once in a while it does this weird resonant ringing thing.
maybe you’d like to buy some nice used modules? Free cables with purchase!!

wvrm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wvrm » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:35 am

Is this available anywhere in the EU yet or are the dealers still waiting on delivery from WMD?

bago
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bago » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:11 am

I have made a little jam using the Crucible input to add a nice layer on top of a synth sequence. I like this even more than using it for cymbals.

I duplicated the pitch-cv of the synth sequence and sent it to Crucible pitch input aswell.

@wvrm: It seems to be in stock at Midi Amsterdam ( https://www.midiamsterdam.nl/wmd-crucible.html )
Last edited by bago on Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NastyNachos
Common Wiggler

Post by NastyNachos » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:04 am

wvrm wrote:Is this available anywhere in the EU yet or are the dealers still waiting on delivery from WMD?
Schneiders has them! They should be pretty much everywhere by now.

THanks!

maltemark
Ultra Wiggler

Post by maltemark » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:36 am

When will regular aluminium non-black panel versions be available?
Feel free to use my old samplepacks: https://freesound.org/people/altemark/
--

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:06 pm

wvrm wrote:Is this available anywhere in the EU yet or are the dealers still waiting on delivery from WMD?
My restock arrives tomorrow :sb:

NastyNachos
Common Wiggler

Post by NastyNachos » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:23 pm

TemplarK wrote:
nihilicious wrote:I would also love to see a similar approach with a hi-hat module. Would be a killer combo.
Imagine a hit hat module like this with a parameter where you could how much of the hats were touching each other then another parameter that took that touch in a circle if you get me as if someone had a finger and thumb closing a hi hat then ran in a circle around it whilst you hit it!!!

Shit. That would be sick actually!
I tossed some audio rate modulation into pitch with the exciter and deform all the way up and got some pretty fun sounding hats!

The trick was to modulate Size with some gates for the "open" sound. That really brought it to life.

Crucible hats Instagram Vid

johny_gtr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:14 am

Crucible is really interesting thing and need many input modulation/triggering.
Especially mid/side/bell triggers are pretty good. Maybe it's the most interesting cymbals that I have listened so far.

BTW, Feedback modular KM-60 line clone works pretty good with Crucible and adds some needed EQ/body to the sound.

It's my first test of Crucible with Stereo Dipole as additional toms/kicks

http://www.instagram.com/p/By0uBQYF04c/

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:34 pm

Thanks for the tip, just using a gate into size works well.

An alternate to audio rate mod that sounds good to me is pink noise. Patched through an attenuverter it ranges from extra "sheen" to over-the-top modulation of the Crucuble's pitch.
NastyNachos wrote:...I tossed some audio rate modulation into pitch with the exciter and deform all the way up and got some pretty fun sounding hats!

The trick was to modulate Size with some gates for the "open" sound. That really brought it to life.

Bob Borries
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bob Borries » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:18 pm

I'm super excited that WMD is focusing on much needed percussion simulators, I mean look at all the cymbal/Hi-Hat modules based on analog drum machines, it's nice but why not set your sights on real metallic sounds so you can get that realism and from there you can easily get bizarre sounds that have that organic realness.

Whats next from WMD? Toms, Congas/timbale, Cuíca, slide whistle?

prphnc
Common Wiggler

Post by prphnc » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:22 pm

Whats next from WMD?

Please! Please! Please! A Snare Drum with Brush-Mode. :love:

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:37 am

Bob Borries wrote:Whats next from WMD? Toms, Congas/timbale, Cuíca, slide whistle?
prphnc wrote:Please! Please! Please! A Snare Drum with Brush-Mode. love
They announced a bass drum in a video at Synthplex. We're yet to see what tricks it has up it's sleeve, though.

Meanwhile, I almost got a snare-sh sound on Crucible by modulating both pitch and velocity at audio rate. Added some attenuated random on excite to get amore natural feel. Higher pitch on the modulation got a higher pitched snare. I tried different noise from Quantum Rainbow, but I liked the pitched audio better.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:32 pm

NastyNachos wrote: The trick was to modulate Size with some gates for the "open" sound. That really brought it to life.
yeah !
I can live without the audio modulation respectivly have i donne several experiments........but choke does it all the time !
Thanks for patch tipps NastyNachos.

i reinstalled now my Yusynth Random gates and i take the choke gate from there now,
plus adding random trigger to the Bell input which adds too.

plus, -not shure if one could tell such thing here :hmm: -,
i patch the whole thing then thru Rings :lol: ,
plus both -Rings and crucible- to a RM. then everything to a mixer.
GREAT playground for very electronic Hats that have something breathing to it, plus the more standard thing which is GREAT too

Thanks @ WMD ! :tu:

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:10 am

yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:
They announced a bass drum in a video at Synthplex. We're yet to see what tricks it has up it's sleeve,
Oh really? Missed that one...thanks!

Buyakasoundman
Common Wiggler

Post by Buyakasoundman » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:48 pm

Anyone find a manual online?
WMD website doesn’t have a link to a pdf.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”