Quad HPF??

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Billy1986
Learning to Wiggle

Quad HPF??

Post by Billy1986 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:21 pm

Anyone know of a quad HPF in Eurorack? Ideally what I'd like is something super simple in as small a module as possible. I keep finding myself wanting to thin out the output of Morphagene or Clouds but don't want to use up my other filters. It could be as simple as 4 inputs, 4 frequency knobs and 4 outputs. Not sure if such a thing exists..

base615
Common Wiggler

Post by base615 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:27 pm

Shakmat HiPass?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/shakmat-modular-hipass

HiPass is a quad fixed frequency high pass filter. The two first sections are 3-pole filters (-18dB/oct) cutting at 30Hz. This removes low frequencies generated by resonant filters, FM synthesis and DC offsets from your audio signals. Use them to process the main stereo output from your modular system and remove non-audible signals that limit your headroom! The bottom two sections are 3-pole filters cutting at 100Hz. They are designed to work exactly like the low-cut sections on your favourite mixing desk.

4 fixed high pass filters (butterworth response curve)
Filters 1 and 2 : 3 poles – 30 Hz (DC remover – extreme low frequencies attenuator)
Filters 3 and 4 : 3 poles – 100 Hz (usual Lo Cut design on mixers)
https://www.shakmatmodular.com/products/hp.html

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:02 am

Yeah, I use the Shakmat HiPass with my Morphagene all the time. Love it.

Billy1986
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Billy1986 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:19 am

Interesting. Not quite what I had in mind but could be useful and wouldn’t take up much space

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:34 am

Chose some suitable capacitor values and DIY? This is a quad LPF, but see the Moog schematic for HP:

viewtopic.php?t=18842&highlight=

You could even stick a cap inline with a patch cable for a zero HP solution.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:58 am

If you can’t find anything on the market, I would suggest DIY also

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:48 am

Diy would be pretty straight forward.
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

addendum
Common Wiggler

Re: Quad HPF??

Post by addendum » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:06 am

Billy1986 wrote:Anyone know of a quad HPF in Eurorack? Ideally what I'd like is something super simple in as small a module as possible. I keep finding myself wanting to thin out the output of Morphagene or Clouds but don't want to use up my other filters. It could be as simple as 4 inputs, 4 frequency knobs and 4 outputs. Not sure if such a thing exists..
It sounds like you're interested in just cutting off some low end at a fixed frequency or perhaps with simple pitch tracking, but not in extensive voltage control of the cutoff frequency and/ or resonance. In that case I'd recommend an optical (vactrol based) design because these are practically noise free compared to other designs while their weaknesses (slow and nonlinear response) won't matter for this application.

addendum
Common Wiggler

Post by addendum » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:10 am

...Another idea is to "thin" your patch at the mixing stage, not in the patch itself. Equalizing (both absolute and with consideration as to the other, "competing" audio tracks) is generally underestimated as a factor in making a patch (or any recording track) sound "great" as opposed to "okay", and the more widespread synths get over the decades, the more this seems to be forgotten.

Ebotronix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ebotronix » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:14 am

Make Noise QMMG!

Billy1986
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Billy1986 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:33 pm

cackland wrote:If you can’t find anything on the market, I would suggest DIY also
My only experience of DIY is building a few modules from kits. Might look into it though. Seems it might be the best option for what I want

subdo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by subdo » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:34 pm

Anyone know where to get a hold of the Shakmat HiPass? When I record I'll often run rumbley things through a pre-amp with HP enabled but it would be great to have a solution for this in the rack when I'm just goofing around.

VanEck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VanEck » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:09 am

not exactly small, or cheap, but the makenoise QMMG can function as a quad hipass. i used it in this fashion quite often, as i felt the hipass in it was fantastic. also the summed out was handy. might be worth the hp and price to you, depending upon your needs.
DISHEVELED -- PROMETHEUS BURNING -- FOUR PI MOVEMENT

SysEx Dumpster podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:15 am

Billy1986 wrote:
cackland wrote:If you can’t find anything on the market, I would suggest DIY also
My only experience of DIY is building a few modules from kits. Might look into it though. Seems it might be the best option for what I want
HPF is really simple in terms of DIY, I’m sure you can find many schematics scattered over the web.

I would suggest 8 HP. This gives you 4 full size knobs, placed with a decent enough spacing.

If that is too large, you can always go with 9mm song huei pots, which you could do in 4 hp, but would be too tight for my preference.

WisdomWriter
Common Wiggler

Post by WisdomWriter » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:35 pm

do you have any post processing techniques that you use or have in your set up? EQ or anything of that sort?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”