Mannequins Panel Height Issues

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

jonbutler88
Common Wiggler

Mannequins Panel Height Issues

Post by jonbutler88 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:20 pm

Hi All,

Has anyone else noticed that the panel on Mannequins modules seems to be just a bit too short? I have a few (Mangrove, Three Sisters and Cold Mac) and on all of them it looks to be about 1mm too short, meaning that the screw holes don't line up without the module at an angle (using the slots in the panel to "lengthen" it). This is true for all 3 modules and in both of my cases (including my Intellijel 7u case).

Has anyone else spotted this or is it just me? And has anyone successfully solved this? Or has anyone with an Intellijel 7u case and Mannequins modules had no problems at all?

evanc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by evanc » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:51 pm

have you tried only screwing the screws in part way on each? i find that some don't line up if i screw a single one in all the way, but if i only half screw each one i can line them all up/get them ready to screw the rest of the way in

jonbutler88
Common Wiggler

Post by jonbutler88 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:55 pm

Yep, in fact I’m currently only using screws for 2 of the 4 holes on the Mangrove and Three Sisters, but I can’t use the Cold Mac at all because it only has 2 screw holes and it needs both to be patchable. When fitting all my modules I first screw in part way, then tighten each of the corners afterwards.

I have a bunch of modules from the usual suspects of euro manufacturers in the same case and they all fit totally fine.

isynx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by isynx » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:28 pm

Yes, same here. They are all a bit too short...

srogers
Common Wiggler

Post by srogers » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:30 pm

I wondered about this too. I have 2x Mangrove, Three Sisters and Just Friends all in an Intellijel 7U. Absolutely no issues with any of them except JF which is definitely too short.

Footkerchief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Footkerchief » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:58 pm

Yup, I had this issue with Three Sisters. Took it back to the store and same issue with the replacement. I eventually managed to squeeze it in, but it's a surprising thing to have gone wrong.

jakobprogsch
Common Wiggler

Post by jakobprogsch » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:20 pm

I noticed something similar when trying to mount one next to a Make Noise module in a Rackbrute with mounting strips (as opposed to square nuts). It appears the MN modules are at the upper end of the hole distance spectrum and the Mannequins modules are the lower. So they wouldn't go next to each other since the mounting strips would be "bent" too much. They seem fit fine next to other modules though.

iheartmodular
Common Wiggler

Post by iheartmodular » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:00 am

yes

some gentle filing with a small metal file sorts it out

be careful don't go too far

RLK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RLK » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:12 am

Funny - I bought a Mannequins early on and it was too tall.
I was sent a corrected height panel.

zanscath
Common Wiggler

Post by zanscath » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:15 am

I've had the same problem with my newer issue JF. Since it's a keeper I resorted to gentle filing as already suggested in this thread.

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:22 am

Yup, same here. Really annoying.

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:41 am

Occasionally the Intellijel cases ship with rails that are “over-rotated” (for lack of a better way of explaining it). It will give the illusion that modules don’t fit. It’s impossible to catch upon visual inspection as it’s only a mm or two.

Loosen the screws on the side of the case slightly and rotate the rail forward or back (depending on your issue) and re-tighten.

I have 6 Mannequins modules. Yes the panels do seem slightly different to other manufacturers, but I’ve always been able to rack them if I’m a bit patient.

Idly wondering if these rack more smoothly in sliding nut systems. Wonder if the panel tolerances were originally based around the shortlived isms case/system.

liquidsn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by liquidsn » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:05 pm

I have 2 intellijel 7u cases and all Mannequin modules fit easily. I had trouble with a WMD and a Noise Engineering module. Holes being offset top down.

rembrandtvanrijn
Common Wiggler

Post by rembrandtvanrijn » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:18 pm

Sliding nuts here and didn’t have a problem fitting them in.

zanscath
Common Wiggler

Post by zanscath » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:22 pm

I've had an Intellijel case and had the rails problem and it was easily fixed by loosening the screws. Three Mannequins modules fit without a problem, one of them a very recent edition of Cold Mac.

My recent revision of Just Friends actually has a panel that is noticeably shorter than the rest (probably 1mm, but it is noticeable). But the real problem is that the mounting holes seem to be offset towards the center of the panel.

These problems are not so big with sliding nut racks.

jonbutler88
Common Wiggler

Post by jonbutler88 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:12 pm

Thanks all, it seems I'm not the only one having some issues, but it's sporadic depending on the module. I contacted Whimsical about this and they acknowledged they had some panel issues, and they're sending me new panels for all the modules. I may also try fiddling with the rail alignment on the case but as everything else fits fine I don't want to offset things so that the rest of the modules don't fit.

For those wondering about sliding nuts, my previous case was a Pittsburgh Structure EP-270 with 4-40" sliding nuts, and these modules fitted fine in there even with the short panels.

jonbutler88
Common Wiggler

Post by jonbutler88 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:03 pm

Ok, I feel kinda sheepish here but I'm happy to admit when I'm wrong - I tried loosening the rails on the Intellijel case and the modules fit much better now. I assumed everything was good as all the other 3u modules fit just fine, but I got my first 1u module and the PCB didn't even fit through the gap! I guess all the rows were off by about the same amount, but now things are loosened up a bit I could screw the modules in straight. They're still just a tight fit but at least they fit!

Sin_Phi
Common Wiggler

Post by Sin_Phi » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:58 pm

I had a hell of a time getting the Cold Mac in my Intellijel 7u, but that was because I was putting it near a DIY module that was slightly big. I had already done the trick with loosening the rails, just the Mannequins modules seem to be a bit on the small side so putting it near the bigger DIY module was a headache and I actually changed my layout around to accommodate.

Some modules go really tight on the hole tolerances for no reason, a bit of play would be nice.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:36 pm

The Rail spacing and panel holes should match this drawing to fit all standard Eurorack Synthesizer cases:

Basically holes 3mm from the edge of a 128.5mm panel
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deke » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:34 pm

Not that it is any help, but my Three Sisters looks to be the exact same height as modules around it - Doepfer and Tip Top. A bad batch would be a real drag... I bought my 3 sisters about 3 months ago direct from them.

klacke
Common Wiggler

Post by klacke » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:47 am

I have the same problem with my Mannequins, Just Friend (silver cloud), Three Sisters and Mangrove. The screw holes is 0,5-1mm to short. So I can only use the top or the bottom screws in my 4MS 60 Pod.
But in my Doepfer low cost case it's possible to use all 4 holes.
Very annoying. I also have an Intellijel 7U but have not tried to fit the Mannequins in it yet.
Guess I have to use a file..... :eek:

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:09 pm

They fit, don’t panic. I use Knurlies and tighten two diagonals until they just catch. Then I repeat it with the other diagonal pair. Then tighten all.

It’s important you try to minimize the amount your power cable(s) are sticking up or it will make it more difficult. In the 4ms Pods I try to scootch the cable under the forehead or chin of the Pod, away from the body of the module as much as possible.

klacke
Common Wiggler

Post by klacke » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:25 pm

Nutritional Zero wrote:They fit, don’t panic. I use Knurlies and tighten two diagonals until they just catch. Then I repeat it with the other diagonal pair. Then tighten all.

It’s important you try to minimize the amount your power cable(s) are sticking up or it will make it more difficult. In the 4ms Pods I try to scootch the cable under the forehead or chin of the Pod, away from the body of the module as much as possible.
Thanks Nutritional Zero, now I got them to fit in my 4ms Pod.
:banana:

Boodaleechees
is banned
is banned

Re:

Post by Boodaleechees » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:38 pm

jonbutler88 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:12 pm

For those wondering about sliding nuts, my previous case was a Pittsburgh Structure EP-270 with 4-40" sliding nuts, and these modules fitted fine in there even with the short panels.
Having a dickens of a time confirming this, but are 4-40" equivalent to M3? It seems that way. Just trying to figure out which knurlies to order to fit with my EP-270. Thanks!

morgulbee
Common Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by morgulbee » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:09 pm

Boodaleechees wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:38 pm
jonbutler88 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:12 pm

Having a dickens of a time confirming this, but are 4-40" equivalent to M3? It seems that way. Just trying to figure out which knurlies to order to fit with my EP-270. Thanks!
No, 4-40 is a different thread from M3. You'll likely strip the threads if you force it. I had to give up my knurlies when I moved to an EP-420 case. :cry:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”