Joranalogue TRANSMIT 2 - Stereo Balanced XLR Line Outputs

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

joranalogue
Common Wiggler

Joranalogue TRANSMIT 2 - Stereo Balanced XLR Line Outputs

Post by joranalogue » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:30 am

A balancing act

Whether it's in the studio or on a live stage, keeping audio interconnections free from unwanted hum and interference can be a challenge. Balanced lines are the proven solution to this problem.

Conventional balanced output solutions often rely on transformers providing galvanic isolation to mitigate the effects of ground loops. Unfortunately, these components are bulky, expensive and colour the sound (often unfavourably, especially in the low end).

Instead, Transmit 2 (or TX2 for short) takes a fully solid-state approach. Offering a stereo pair of XLR balanced outputs, it ensures that the sonic clarity of your carefully planned modular system is not lost in its interface to the outside world.

Engineered to provide massive headroom while retaining extremely low noise and distortion, Transmit 2's circuitry incorporates low-impedance design practices, radio-frequency (RF) filtering and premium balanced drivers to provide transformer-like interconnect performance in a compact and affordable module. And thanks to the electrostatic (ESD) and phantom power discharge protection, it’s rugged enough to survive the rigours of performing on the road.

Adjusting the main output level is a breeze thanks to the dual peak-responding LED meters. A high-end headphone amplifier is included as well, controlled by a separate level knob. It can deliver the voltage and current required to power practically any headphones, regardless of the impedance or driver technology. This 3.5 mm stereo socket can function as an auxiliary stereo line output or even drive small passive speakers, making Transmit 2 an all-round flexible answer to all your output needs.

Available now!

More info: https://joranalogue.com/transmit-2
ModularGrid: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/joranalog ... transmit-2

Pricing: €195 / £170 / $195 (MSRP)
6 HP, 45 mm deep

Last edited by joranalogue on Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:58 am, edited 8 times in total.
Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:41 am

shouldn't it be 6hp?

looks like it and that's what's on modulargrid

happy new year!!

joranalogue
Common Wiggler

Post by joranalogue » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:56 am

Agawell wrote:shouldn't it be 6hp?

looks like it and that's what's on modulargrid

happy new year!!
Yes, thanks for catching that typo! :doh:
Joranalogue Audio Design

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:35 pm

Love the VU metering- impressive use of the svelt space. Not so keen on non indented volume controls.
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

joranalogue
Common Wiggler

Post by joranalogue » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:41 pm

Multi Grooves wrote:Love the VU metering- impressive use of the svelt space. Not so keen on non indented volume controls.
Thanks! With indented volume controls, do you mean stepped attenuators?
Joranalogue Audio Design

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:57 pm

Oops, I hadn't looked closely enough to see one of the knobs was for headphones. Matching two smooth volume pots visually - if going to record- isn't great. But that doesn't matter here. But killer visuals in the footprint, man!
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

diode_destroyer
Common Wiggler

Post by diode_destroyer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:04 pm

What will the output voltage be? Say 10 Vpp in, main knob fully CW, can you get a 10Vpp signal out?

joranalogue
Common Wiggler

Post by joranalogue » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:51 pm

Multi Grooves wrote:Oops, I hadn't looked closely enough to see one of the knobs was for headphones. Matching two smooth volume pots visually - if going to record- isn't great. But that doesn't matter here. But killer visuals in the footprint, man!
Ah, that makes sense. Nice to hear you like it!
diode_destroyer wrote:What will the output voltage be? Say 10 Vpp in, main knob fully CW, can you get a 10Vpp signal out?
Yes, fully clockwise is +6 dB on the XLR outputs (balanced so 10 Vpp on both hot and cold), unity gain on the headphones. The main level knob will typically be set near the centre to get standard +4 dBu out.
Joranalogue Audio Design

youkon
frequency research department

Post by youkon » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:12 pm

I will get this for sure, sounds great all in all!
but I can't imagine that the headphone amp will drive my hd800s hot enough, they need a lot of amplification (really a lot)

btw how I stubled over this thread: I am rearranging my whole system atm
(9 x 1 meter) and decided to put my new aquired Add2 as end of chain of my whooooooole modular!!;-)
Reason: I must sum two complete big stereo subgroups of my whole system before they go into my output module. Add1 for Left and Add2 for right.
I trust your work! :tu:

to come back to Transmit2: the specs sound like heaven and exactly how I'd like to have an output module!
will have one in the future for sure

(could still need a tiny tiny 3,5" stereo out jack for quick recording here;-))

joranalogue
Common Wiggler

Post by joranalogue » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:37 am

youkon wrote:I will get this for sure, sounds great all in all!
but I can't imagine that the headphone amp will drive my hd800s hot enough, they need a lot of amplification (really a lot)

btw how I stubled over this thread: I am rearranging my whole system atm
(9 x 1 meter) and decided to put my new aquired Add2 as end of chain of my whooooooole modular!!;-)
Reason: I must sum two complete big stereo subgroups of my whole system before they go into my output module. Add1 for Left and Add2 for right.
I trust your work! :tu:

to come back to Transmit2: the specs sound like heaven and exactly how I'd like to have an output module!
will have one in the future for sure

(could still need a tiny tiny 3,5" stereo out jack for quick recording here;-))
The HD800 has a 300 ohms rated impedance and 102 dB/V sensitivity. This means it requires relatively high voltage, rather than current, to be driven at volume. No problem for TX2, but many other devices (especially mobile) will struggle, as you probably already noticed.

Don't forget the headphone out can be used as a regular stereo line out as well! :)
Joranalogue Audio Design

joranalogue
Common Wiggler

Post by joranalogue » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:47 am

Hi all,

Here's the suggested retail pricing for Transmit 2 (and Receive 2 as well): €195 / £170 / $195.

Shipping to dealers worldwide late this month/early April. Most dealers will be offering pre-orders; if you can't find the modules on your favourite dealer's website yet, feel free to contact them.

Although this is a very straightforward module, there is a user manual containing some more details. It's now been added to the product page for your reading enjoyment: https://joranalogue.com/transmit-2/
Joranalogue Audio Design

joranalogue
Common Wiggler

Post by joranalogue » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:27 am

Transmit 2 is here—shipments are going out to dealers all week! :banana:

If it's not listed on their website yet, feel free to contact your dealer of choice for details on availability.
Joranalogue Audio Design

Hyboid
Common Wiggler

Post by Hyboid » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:26 am

Is the headphone output parallel or after the main out? E.g. can I solo a signal via headphone out with the main out turned down all the way?

joranalogue
Common Wiggler

Post by joranalogue » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:28 am

Hyboid wrote:Is the headphone output parallel or after the main out? E.g. can I solo a signal via headphone out with the main out turned down all the way?
Yes, the headphone amplifier is completely separate from the main outputs.
Joranalogue Audio Design

Hyboid
Common Wiggler

Post by Hyboid » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:38 am

joranalogue wrote:
Hyboid wrote:Is the headphone output parallel or after the main out? E.g. can I solo a signal via headphone out with the main out turned down all the way?
Yes, the headphone amplifier is completely separate from the main outputs.
Thanks for your quick reply! That sounds pretty useful. I will take a look at it here at Schneider's.

joranalogue
Common Wiggler

Post by joranalogue » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:28 am

Here's Divkid's quick look at the Receive 2 and Transmit 2 I/O modules, showing you how they can ease interfacing your Eurorack with the outside world (and some of the birds that inhabit it!)

[video][/video]
Joranalogue Audio Design

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:40 am

Very nice... tempted by these.

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:08 pm

Mine recently arrived and it's perfect!! Thank you Joranalogue!!
This will not replace my ADDAC800X though. Different modules/designs.

joranalogue
Common Wiggler

Post by joranalogue » Fri May 17, 2019 5:52 am

Check out Little Modular's video review of Transmit 2 and Receive 2!

[video][/video]
Joranalogue Audio Design

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:00 pm

Here's a review for people on the fence.

I picked up a Transmit 2 last week for my performance case. I mostly play it with a rock band, and the wiring in our practice space is….imperfect. I would set up my case at home, crank it up, and have no noise, and then get it to the space and have ALL SORTS of noise. There’s been noise, hum, and ground loops. I was worried about the Transmit 2 not having a ground lift. Where we play shows is often more like our space than my apartment in terms of electricity.

I’d been borrowing the DI box I use for bass at shows to plug into our mixer at practice, a Tech21VTDI (I turn off all the amp modelling for the synth application and just use it as a straight DI with ground lift). The ground lift eliminated some hum but not other noise coming through.

The Transmit 2 was instantly, audibly better. No hum, less noise and tons of power and headroom. I could turn the gain on the mixer pretty much all the way down and still have more than enough power to overwhelm drums and a distorted guitar if I wanted. Bonus: I used to get extra noise if I plugged my Linnstrument into my Expert Sleepers Fh-2 and took power from it. Now the noise is gone. I deliberately run mono but I checked both ins and outs and they worked identically.

So the T2 seems to have anticipated and solved some of my noise problems as well.

I know the focus on here is often saving HP and just using the case for stuff that has to be modular. And technically a DI doesn’t need to be in a modular case.

But more and more I am coming around to utilities in the case as a way to make life easier and playing more fun. I think with all the gearlust around here we often underestimate the importance and even fun of basic utilities, control and signal routing. For my performance case, it’s about having a custom instrument ready to go, with easy set-up and takedown when I'm playing a show with multiple acts, or even at the beginning and end of practice in a space we share with 3 other bands (I also have a semi-permanent partial patch with tendrils running behind my modules, so it makes noise when I flip the switch).

Price wise, the T2 compares very well with the Radial and other pro options, and I would have laid out money for a Radial if I hadn't bought the T2.

The next real test will be a performance will be in about a month.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

Brad s
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Brad s » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:03 am

Is it possible to use this module as a mono, two channel output. I’d like to patch this using the left output for one signal and the right output for another, separate signal.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:49 am

Brad s, from the manual:
If only the left input socket is used, its signal is sent to the right as well. In this configuration, you have two identical mono outputs which can be sent to different devices. The same signal will also be heard in both channels of the headphones.

joranalogue
Common Wiggler

Post by joranalogue » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:16 pm

Brad s wrote:Is it possible to use this module as a mono, two channel output. I’d like to patch this using the left output for one signal and the right output for another, separate signal.
Sure, there's no need for the two signals to be part of a stereo pair. Just be aware that the main level knob is shared for both outputs.
Joranalogue Audio Design

Brad s
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Brad s » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:19 pm

Awesome! Thanks for clarifying that for me.

ckwjr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ckwjr » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:32 pm

I have this in a portable case as well. Completely agree - low noise and headroom are the key features. The headphone amp is nice too. It's helpful to have a small case with a good headphone option and quality xlr out. Love this module.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”