Instruo I-ō47 / Instruo vs. ARP?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

combathook
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:10 am

Re: Instruo I-ō47 / Instruo vs. ARP?

Post by combathook » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:40 am

Thank you!

Here's one more. This time it's just an oscillator into the 2nd input channel going through notch, bandpass, and highpass with modulation. The first half has a delay on it because it sounded so good, but the second half is the same thing dry.

https://soundcloud.com/account/io47monosynth/s-H0Om4

User avatar
MindMachine
weekend warrior
Posts: 7020
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:45 am
Location: Santa Susana Field Lab

Re:

Post by MindMachine » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:23 pm

boubi wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:00 pm
I saw the Neonach at SB18 and it looks killer..have enough filters but can always use more complex versatile controllers.
Somewhat reminiscent of the ARP 1050 mix sequencer - with more features. Interested in that too!
Check this budget version out: https://www.electronicmusicworks.com/eu ... patch.html

boubi - your music is as good as electronic can get in my book. :guinness:
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718

User avatar
moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1158
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:45 pm
Location: NC
Contact:

Re:

Post by moremagic » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:32 am

Dogma wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:35 pm
A multimode filter based on the ARP 2500 1047 ... The resonance can push it into stable self-oscillation
🤔
that seems like a bit of a contradiction; dennis colins paper on the 1047 made it seem that the 1047s most important feature was extremely high Q without oscillating

User avatar
studioutopia
Common Wiggler
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:28 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Re:

Post by studioutopia » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:03 am

moremagic wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:32 am
Dogma wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:35 pm
A multimode filter based on the ARP 2500 1047 ... The resonance can push it into stable self-oscillation
🤔
that seems like a bit of a contradiction; dennis colins paper on the 1047 made it seem that the 1047s most important feature was extremely high Q without oscillating
There is a switch that turns on/off self-oscillation. It's definitely that 1047 sound, but it has some bonus features.
See here:
https://www.instruomodular.com/wp-conte ... kstart.pdf

I will add - this is an amazing filter. I've had it for over a month now, and it's taken over as my go-to filter. Still love my QPAS, Korgasmatron II, and Ripples, but the I-o47 is just so expressive.

combathook
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:10 am

Re: Instruo I-ō47 / Instruo vs. ARP?

Post by combathook » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:54 am

I have a QPAS too. For some applications the QPAS and the I-o47 overlap, but the QPAS is much more tame. The resonance on the QPAS is almost like a very narrow Q setting on an EQ which keeps it from ever getting aggressive, but the pings are fantastic and easy to control. One thing I like to do is put a dummy jack into one of the outputs to focus the pitch of the resonance.

Are any other I-o47 users having trouble with out of control feedback and overdrive? This could be down to the design of the original 1047 filter, but I've found that the Instruo is not necessarily a filter I can tweak carelessly, because with a little too much resonance, a hot input, and especially with external FM coming in, it will very easily spike 10 to 20db.

Alex_Des_Rois
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:08 pm
Location: PARIS, FRANCE

Re: Instruo I-ō47 / Instruo vs. ARP?

Post by Alex_Des_Rois » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:54 pm

For those who have it, as a oscillator, how much octaves can it handle before being out of tune when playing via a keyboard ?

User avatar
dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1493
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:18 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: Instruo I-ō47 / Instruo vs. ARP?

Post by dysonant » Sun May 03, 2020 9:59 am

combathook wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:54 am
... Are any other I-o47 users having trouble with out of control feedback and overdrive? This could be down to the design of the original 1047 filter, but I've found that the Instruo is not necessarily a filter I can tweak carelessly, because with a little too much resonance, a hot input, and especially with external FM coming in, it will very easily spike 10 to 20db.
Yes, I will need to play around with it more, but I can't ever turn the resonance past around 11 o'clock without it stabbing me in the ear.

User avatar
Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:54 pm

Re: Instruo I-ō47 / Instruo vs. ARP?

Post by Whatisvalis » Sun May 03, 2020 2:14 pm

dysonant wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:59 am
combathook wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:54 am
... Are any other I-o47 users having trouble with out of control feedback and overdrive? This could be down to the design of the original 1047 filter, but I've found that the Instruo is not necessarily a filter I can tweak carelessly, because with a little too much resonance, a hot input, and especially with external FM coming in, it will very easily spike 10 to 20db.
Yes, I will need to play around with it more, but I can't ever turn the resonance past around 11 o'clock without it stabbing me in the ear.
Definitely gets wild past 11.

What are some of the uses for the 2nd input? The resonance controls the amplitude, but the input also flips the phase of the signal?

User avatar
NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:10 am
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Re: Instruo I-ō47 / Instruo vs. ARP?

Post by NaiveMelody » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:26 pm

Whatisvalis wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:14 pm
What are some of the uses for the 2nd input? The resonance controls the amplitude, but the input also flips the phase of the signal?
I’m interested in this too. Sounds like it should allow for some pretty fun but would love to get a better understanding of it in practice.

ari ellis
Common Wiggler
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:05 am

Re: Instruo I-ō47 / Instruo vs. ARP?

Post by ari ellis » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:10 pm

Whatisvalis wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:14 pm
...
What are some of the uses for the 2nd input? The resonance controls the amplitude, but the input also flips the phase of the signal?
For instance, you can do things with it are sort of like combinations of filter sweeps and pseudo-crossfades. It's not just the resonance panel control that affects the amplitude, but the cutoff knob as well --- I think this has something to do with the way feedback in the resonance path works? The upshot is that at moderate q settings and beyond, the phase-flipped input drops noticeably in volume as you turn up the cutoff frequency (by hand or under CV). It can sound pretty cool, and can be a really interesting way to dynamically combine waveforms from a single osc. Attenuating the flipped input externally can sometimes be useful.

ari ellis
Common Wiggler
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:05 am

Re: Instruo I-ō47 / Instruo vs. ARP?

Post by ari ellis » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:17 pm

combathook wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:54 am
...
Are any other I-o47 users having trouble with out of control feedback and overdrive? This could be down to the design of the original 1047 filter, but I've found that the Instruo is not necessarily a filter I can tweak carelessly, because with a little too much resonance, a hot input, and especially with external FM coming in, it will very easily spike 10 to 20db.
I get the sense that this filter is not intended to be used with the input fader all the way up most of the time. I have found that keeping the fader down is the key to smooth resonance without blowing up. Keeping the fader in check, the resonance can get insanely narrow while staying under control, even under fairly strong modulation.

User avatar
NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:10 am
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Re: Instruo I-ō47 / Instruo vs. ARP?

Post by NaiveMelody » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:07 am

combathook wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:40 am
Thank you!

Here's one more. This time it's just an oscillator into the 2nd input channel going through notch, bandpass, and highpass with modulation. The first half has a delay on it because it sounded so good, but the second half is the same thing dry.

https://soundcloud.com/account/io47monosynth/s-H0Om4
Just to say absolutely love this demo. I've re-listened and re-listened this morning!

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”