Filter Quest. Only the brave shall enter!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

thelowerrhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Filter Quest. Only the brave shall enter!

Post by thelowerrhythm » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:59 am

So I've got a Wasp I don't like, a Blue Lantern asteroid operator VCF that I absolutely love but is brutal AF, and a Pittsburg big knob jobber -- the pre lifeforms multimode LP, JP, BP and that LP/HP mix. That Pittsburgh? Mmm mmm mmm! :guinness: Delicilous. Put a turd in one side, and it comes out the other so silky smooth you think you might want to eat it.

SO...

I'm looking for something else that can do that in terms of tone, but has its own thing going on. Ex... really interested in the Eowave Fluctuations Magnétiques, but didn't hear any tone magic happening.

My system is a single 6U at 48hp per row, and then another 6U at 121hp per row. I feel like if I don't get another filter or two in there soon the modular police will come beating down my door.

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:48 am

You should get rid of the Pittsburgh, it takes to places on shouldn't really go...

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:56 am

Herby recommending Belgrad as a great allrounder. I call it my sweet spot machine. Does the whole gamut of filtery goodness but excels at smooth.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

robkramble
Wiggling with Experience

Post by robkramble » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:27 am

I really like the Intellijel Polaris for all variety of filtering - it reminds me of all manner of Roland filters - no idea if it's meant to model them, but it sounds like them from my experience.

Previously had the Morpheus filter, and it was very very cool, but a little too much for me at the moment, so I went for the best analog multimode I could find (being the Polaris).

thelowerrhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thelowerrhythm » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:44 am

I was looking at the Polaris but hadn't gotten deep into demo land yet. Really familiar with Mood / Korg style filters, but not so much with Roland.

Will put the Belgrad on the list of stuff to stare at for hours and wonder whether or not it justifies spending the grocery money!

thelowerrhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thelowerrhythm » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:59 am

Anyone have an opinion on the A-101-1 in this context?

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:20 pm

cptnal wrote:Herby recommending Belgrad as a great allrounder. I call it my sweet spot machine. Does the whole gamut of filtery goodness but excels at smooth.
Agreed with the exception that I prefer to run it overdriven and/or with the Tito switch engaged. IMHO it's awesomeness comes from the way it adds that beautiful harmonic distortion with Tito switch in self-mod (switch up). It sounds rough but in a very pleasing way. Quite like the original Drone Commander I had.

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:21 pm

If you are worried about saving hp, consider the ADDAC 705 Stinggy filter. They sell it as "inspired by the WASP filter," but to my ears, it doesn't sound or act anything like the WASP filter (please bear in mind that I am actually comparing it to the Doepfer A-124 Wasp Filter; I don't have access to the original).

I think they suggest the WASP comparison because of its robust overdrive capabilities. This filter can get as gritty and nasty as you could possibly want, but it is totally optional. It is a really nice filter in its own right and offers LP, HP, BP and NP.

I bought the thing on a lark about a year ago and now it is one of my favorite filters.

On the other hand, if you are looking for something smooth and fat, versatile and full of character, I would highly recommend the Vintage Synth Labs VCF-74. It is based on the Mini-Korg Traveler filter. MylarMelodies did a great review of it a while back.

Best of luck!

:cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud:

operator808
Common Wiggler

Post by operator808 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:21 pm

I think you need a Sara VCF.

xx

thelowerrhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thelowerrhythm » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:28 pm

The more I budget out this next round of additions the more I'm realizing that I think I need to top out at ~$250, though used is fine. I actually met one of the folks from Vintage Synth Lab the other day -- cool guy. Traded him a Field Kit for a Sputnik delay I'm now obsessed with. I forgot that I was indeed eyeballing that filter of theirs.

The only thing I really regret about losing my MS-20 mini was the loss of that filter. It was smooth enough, but you could also squeeze some really weird stuff out of it.

nostalghia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:10 pm

MS-20 you say? Here's a new clone of that filter in Euro module form from AI Synthesis: AI004 OTA Voltage Controlled Filter
Available as DIY kit ($85 for full kit with all parts) or assembled ($160), so fits your budget.
Page for it on Modular Grid: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ai-synthesis-ai004-ota-vcf

There's also the Korgasmatron from Intellijel. Latest version is called "Morgasmatron". Big and pricey but cool.
You could look for a used original version, called Corgasmatron (16hp rather than 20)-but may be hard to find.
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky
https://soundcloud.com/nostalghia70s

selfdestroyer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by selfdestroyer » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:32 pm

I'm in love with my Three Sisters.. yup I said it!

With the FM options it can go from a standard VCF to total weirdness.
My DIY / Music Blog They Remain Silent

thelowerrhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thelowerrhythm » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:37 pm

The AIS looks pretty good for the kit price! Hadn't seen that one before. Good lord, too many modules. :deadbanana:

ShoveCoupler
Common Wiggler

Post by ShoveCoupler » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:46 pm

Jove. Love it.
(Roland JP6 copy, I believe)

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tuj » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:06 pm

You want a Livewire FrequenSteiner. Best filter in euro still.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:35 pm

animodule, sob. small, inexpensive, lpg, wavefolder, 3x cv input, 2x audio, 4 attenuaters.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:10 pm

MA 35 - smooth or snarly, MS10 inspired
Rossum Evolution - ultra ladder filter
Synthtech E440 - absolute classic for deep and smooth

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:15 am

What about the very basic solutions like AJH MiniMod Ladder or MI Ripples? They are smooth for sure and shouldn't be skipped.

thelowerrhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thelowerrhythm » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:16 am

I didn't intend to start another filter thread, I swear. :picard:

I might just have to put a few of these in a hat and do a blind pick. However, that animodule is really tempting. Not what I was looking for, but it would definitely be hp well spent with the sort of work I do.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:05 am

You can never have too many filters, apparently...

I recently added to Erica Synths Polivoks to my collection. Glad I did... A nice filter, different enough from my other filters :)

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:50 am

thelowerrhythm wrote:I didn't intend to start another filter thread, I swear. :picard:

I might just have to put a few of these in a hat and do a blind pick. However, that animodule is really tempting. Not what I was looking for, but it would definitely be hp well spent with the sort of work I do.
working with 6 different filters and it's my favourite. pair well with polaris.
very precise but not clinical. go for it...it's the one i would keep if i'd have to sell and downsize.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:50 am

first double post after more than 500... :)
> WTB ADDAC502 <

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:47 am

robkramble wrote:I really like the Intellijel Polaris for all variety of filtering - it reminds me of all manner of Roland filters - no idea if it's meant to model them, but it sounds like them from my experience.

Previously had the Morpheus filter, and it was very very cool, but a little too much for me at the moment, so I went for the best analog multimode I could find (being the Polaris).
Polaris :love:
The Polaris covers a lot of ground, has many modes, input gain, output distortion, and CVable resonance.
An added bonus on the Intellijel filters is that they’ll run clean enough to use with polyphonic OSCs like Shapeshifter, Plaits, and such. :tu:

LongLostDonut
Common Wiggler

Post by LongLostDonut » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:13 am

+1 for Belgrad. I also own a Sisters, Cinnamon, Pico VCF1 & Ripples (I like filters) and if I had to keep one, it would be Belgrad. In terms of bringing out new tones from sounds, it wins hands down just through using the different shapes and controls. Then add the Tito switch into the mix and it goes off into very different places.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:45 am

I think you´d love the Borg 2

Also Belgrad seems to be a good option

Return to “Eurorack Modules”