WMD Metron sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: WMD Metron sequencer

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:50 am

seychmar wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:29 am
Any possibility of a MIDI expander for the Metron? This is a far too powerful trigger and drum sequencer to limit to just Eurorack :)
Meanwhile, there’s something like this:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/vpme-de-trig31

kobe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kobe » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:02 pm

Not sure if I missed it, but can you add GLIDE per step/note on Metron with Voltera? If not, it would be a no go for me, which is really bad because otherwise it seems to be the best.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:01 pm

No glide built in, but WMD has a nice dual gated slew called Time Warp designed to integrate with Metron/Voltera that purpose.

kobe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kobe » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:29 am

mdoudoroff wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:01 pm
No glide built in, but WMD has a nice dual gated slew called Time Warp designed to integrate with Metron/Voltera that purpose.
Thanks for the info!

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:01 pm

kobe wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:29 am
mdoudoroff wrote:
Thanks for the info!
My recollection is there was discussion of possibly including that in a Voltera firmware update somewhere down the road. I might be wrong about that... I think Time Warp could be more useful with making the control of slew based on triggers and being able to see that and program in randomness to when it occurs.

mkasthe
Common Wiggler

Post by mkasthe » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:13 pm

yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:01 pm
kobe wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:
Thanks for the info!
My recollection is there was discussion of possibly including that in a Voltera firmware update somewhere down the road. I might be wrong about that... I think Time Warp could be more useful with making the control of slew based on triggers and being able to see that and program in randomness to when it occurs.
Another potential great use case for Axxent channels - turning slew on and off in a programmed way
Made in Italy and exported to NYC
Instagram: The Analog Kid

kobe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kobe » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:15 am

mkasthe wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:13 pm
yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:01 pm
kobe wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:
Thanks for the info!
Another potential great use case for Axxent channels - turning slew on and off in a programmed way
I must admit that I prefer to have glide without another (expander) module. Just within Metron and Voltera.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:31 am

I don’t see a good way to implement glide within Metron and Voltera. They could maybe layer in per-track slewing, or find some new place to slot in yet another special layer into the already-overloaded button UI with which to choose which steps get are slewed. The former would be incredibly limiting. The latter will be hacky, and still limited to doing the same thing over and over. And it would make it even harder to keep track of what is actually going on.

I think WMD made the right call leaving glide a downstream problem. Time Warp is pretty killer for 4hp, and you can take advantage of Metron’s probability features which wouldn’t be available if glide was handled “within” as a step attribute.

mkasthe
Common Wiggler

Post by mkasthe » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:09 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:31 am
I don’t see a good way to implement glide within Metron and Voltera. They could maybe layer in per-track slewing, or find some new place to slot in yet another special layer into the already-overloaded button UI with which to choose which steps get are slewed. The former would be incredibly limiting. The latter will be hacky, and still limited to doing the same thing over and over. And it would make it even harder to keep track of what is actually going on.

I think WMD made the right call leaving glide a downstream problem. Time Warp is pretty killer for 4hp, and you can take advantage of Metron’s probability features which wouldn’t be available if glide was handled “within” as a step attribute.
Totally agree here. Also another consideration for having slew as separate module - if you are using a quantizer downstream from Voltera and you apply the slew you risk doing an arpeggio as you move through the allowed notes (unless you have Sinfonion which detects slew of the pre-quantized CV sequence).
Made in Italy and exported to NYC
Instagram: The Analog Kid

Joey P.
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Joey P. » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:02 pm

One thing I'd love to see is the "random" feature expanded to Voltera voltages. Hold "random" button and either press the Voltron "select" button to randomize all 4 tracks, or do a "knob turn" select for each track....which would apply random voltages based on the range/quantization setting set for each Voltron track.

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:47 pm

A full on slew for an entire Voltera channel could still be pretty useful. Like if the option is stepped or the entire line is slewed. This would make for nice recording of an LFO, for example.

FatKingTubby
Common Wiggler

Post by FatKingTubby » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:10 am

Joey P. wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:02 pm
One thing I'd love to see is the "random" feature expanded to Voltera voltages. Hold "random" button and either press the Voltron "select" button to randomize all 4 tracks, or do a "knob turn" select for each track....which would apply random voltages based on the range/quantization setting set for each Voltron track.
This would definitely be a cool way to get a good starting point for a melodic sequence and then edit/refine it from there. I'd also love a way to do the probability of certain pithes like it currently is for triggers 10%-25-50-75 etc. But in a way where you can choose the pithes, ie. 25% the pitch is Eb Bb F or Ab. I've got no clue how that might be input with knobs or the matrix buttons, but just a thought.

What voltera needs most from whatever update hopefully comes next is a way to see or scroll through the notes that have already been put in. Everytime I try to wiggle the knob just a bit so that it will show/remind me the note value I put in on that step, I always ends up overshooting it and changing it :bang:

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:29 am

FatKingTubby wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:10 am
What voltera needs most from whatever update hopefully comes next is a way to see or scroll through the notes that have already been put in. Everytime I try to wiggle the knob just a bit so that it will show/remind me the note value I put in on that step, I always ends up overshooting it and changing it :bang:
We'll eventually have a way to view voltages. For now I just turn the Voltera knob to the top or bottom of the range before I wiggle it so there it's less likely I will cross over the value. You can also temporarily set the octave range outside the range the notes were written in. It's cumbersome, but it will let you view the notes without changing them.
VINO MALO | Designer and Software Developer for WMD

FatKingTubby
Common Wiggler

Post by FatKingTubby » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:26 am

c0rpse wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:29 am
We'll eventually have a way to view voltages.
Oh I definitely have faith and patience. Looking forward to seeing what you folks come up with. :tu:
c0rpse wrote:
For now I just turn the Voltera knob to the top or bottom of the range before I wiggle it so there it's less likely I will cross over the value.
I've been doing this already, but if I start full CCW for example, often the screen won't display the pitch value until I get to ~9 o'clock anyways and I often find myself overshooting it. Then I have to play the guessing game of whether I went one, two, or even three notes past where it was.
c0rpse wrote:
You can also temporarily set the octave range outside the range the notes were written in. It's cumbersome, but it will let you view the notes without changing them.
I've actually tried this method too by stumbling onto it by accident. But after doing it again on purpose I determined it was way too many button presses and menu changes to do with any real regularity. For the time being I've just gotten into the habit of constantly saving where I'm at so I can always reload if I need to. If all of my variations aren't filled yet I'll also just copy a channel's sequence to an empty variation in case I feel like I've screwed it up while editing it.

Just another rookie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Just another rookie » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:15 pm

Is there a way to update firmware without using a pc/cardreader?

I read a bit about forced update using the global settings but can’t find out if this is indeed possible.
(Found -update- that scrolls past on encoder 1 but then what?)

Any info would be really handy!
Cheers.

rustyjaw
Common Wiggler

Post by rustyjaw » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:09 pm

Wow, I've had my Metron for about 3 weeks and I'm starting to get the hang of it, and I'm super impressed with how it has really unlocked a lot of potential in my system. It's amazing for triggering timed CV events, not to mention percussion. Can't wait to get the Axxent and Voltera, it almost feels like an embarrassment of riches.

One question: From reading the manual and watching the great YT tutorials (thanks Alex) that you can't CV to Assignable IN to specify a variation, just step forward, back and jump to A, yes? While those options do cover a lot of bases, I'm curious if there might be plans to allow the selection of specific variations via CV? I'm used to doing this on my Stillson Hammer, different voltages will recall specific presets, it's quite handy.
Synth Enthusiast | Abandonment Photographer

second_breakfast
Common Wiggler

Post by second_breakfast » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:49 am

This morning I noticed that my Voltera is flashing it's red LEDs in sequence from top to bottom. I didn't do anything to the Metron recently. Any idea what's going on and how to fix it?
Youtube: Second Breakfast Instagram: Sec0nd_Breakfast_ Modular Grid: "The Double Dragon"

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:28 am

second_breakfast wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:49 am
This morning I noticed that my Voltera is flashing it's red LEDs in sequence from top to bottom. I didn't do anything to the Metron recently. Any idea what's going on and how to fix it?
It means the Voltera is not seeing the Metron. Your expander cable is probably unplugged.
VINO MALO | Designer and Software Developer for WMD

WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WMDevices » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:30 am

Just another rookie wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:15 pm

I read a bit about forced update using the global settings but can’t find out if this is indeed possible.

Cheers.
The only supported way to update Metron in the field is by loading the update file onto the MMC card using a card reader.
Check out the growing number of WMD Demo Videos | WMD Website

second_breakfast
Common Wiggler

Post by second_breakfast » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:45 am

c0rpse wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:28 am
second_breakfast wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:49 am
It means the Voltera is not seeing the Metron. Your expander cable is probably unplugged.
Ahh thank you. I did update a module next to it recently. I probably bumped the power cable.
Youtube: Second Breakfast Instagram: Sec0nd_Breakfast_ Modular Grid: "The Double Dragon"

Just another rookie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Just another rookie » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:58 am

WMDevices wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:30 am

Cheers.
The only supported way to update Metron in the field is by loading the update file onto the MMC card using a card reader.
That’s was not what I hoped you would say!
Thanks anyway for the reply!

My poor lonely Voltera.......
Abandoned, desolate, dusty!
:waah: :sarcasm:

Someday soon, my metron will become EXTRA KICK ARSE!
:animal:

WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WMDevices » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:52 am

Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:58 am
WMDevices wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:30 am

Cheers.
That’s was not what I hoped you would say!
Thanks anyway for the reply!

My poor lonely Voltera.......
Abandoned, desolate, dusty!
:waah: :sarcasm:

Someday soon, my metron will become EXTRA KICK ARSE!
:animal:
I don't understand the issue, SD card slots are just about everywhere. Or USB to SD converters. I have a stack of them at the office and could ship one to you if you don't have one.
Check out the growing number of WMD Demo Videos | WMD Website

Just another rookie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Just another rookie » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:03 pm

Cool response!

Is it possible with an iPhone?
For I am Luddite......no pc no Mac.

My current option is 140 odd mile round trip, which I’m not against! But if I could do this here.....
Happy days!

Option 2 of course, join the modern world and Mac up!

Cheers for your assistance in any case!

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:20 pm

Maybe something like this would work?

polyshaft
Learning to Wiggle

Post by polyshaft » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:42 pm

I want to use the single track view in Voltera as well.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”