WMD Metron sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:40 am

question - if one wanted to copy the patterns saved from one SD card to another, would it be best to pop them into a pc and copy over that way? i tried swapping cards from Metron to Metron, and they don't seem to see the other Metron's pattern saves.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

NastyNachos
Common Wiggler

Post by NastyNachos » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:29 pm

behndy wrote:question - if one wanted to copy the patterns saved from one SD card to another, would it be best to pop them into a pc and copy over that way? i tried swapping cards from Metron to Metron, and they don't seem to see the other Metron's pattern saves.
Hey Behndy, please reach out to me at Alex@wmdevices.com so we can look into this.

It should be fine to move one SD to another Metron, however due to our firmware update 1.1 where we changed the file naming structure, you may need to rename the files and make sure both Metrons have up to date firmware for this to work seamlessly.

In the meantime, take a look at the files on your computer and see if the naming structures look the same. One other thing you can do is go into your global menu and scroll all the way to the right to see what firmware version you are on on both units. This will be helpful info in the email.

THanks!

THanks!

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:47 am

doooone and DONE.

NastyNachos
Common Wiggler

Post by NastyNachos » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:44 pm

Hey y'all! Here's a design update video that includes sound from our new bass drum module, Crater, as well as a workflow demo for the new METRON voltage expander, VOLTERA.

ENJOY!
[video][/video]

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:01 pm

yesssssSSSSSSSS.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:35 pm

The Voltera+Metron combo looks really really good. I will add it to my comparison.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:59 am

yeah. i looooove my Voltage Blocks. but. Metron is SO.the Gated Heart of my system. gonna try 2 or 3 of these in VB's place.

SUPER excited!

mazzyboy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mazzyboy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:04 am

Very excited about this! A couple of questions -
If you use voltera's 'twist knob and record' method (opposed to the 'hold button and then select voltage' mode of entering data) is that knob tied to a track on metron? In particular I mean, can i still set the track length or clock division for that knob?
Please say yes!!! ;)

ringstone
antipodean experimentalist

Post by ringstone » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:03 am

Would it perhaps be possible to add another S.BUS mode that allows the Metron to send S.BUS patch changes to itself, allowing basic chaining of different programs (a rudimentary "song mode"?).

While the paradigm of combining and bouncing variations into new ones is a big step forward and a very natural way to work I was a little surprised, with so many memory save slots, there's no way to chain them together automatically.

NastyNachos
Common Wiggler

Post by NastyNachos » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:21 am

mazzyboy wrote:Very excited about this! A couple of questions -
If you use voltera's 'twist knob and record' method (opposed to the 'hold button and then select voltage' mode of entering data) is that knob tied to a track on metron? In particular I mean, can i still set the track length or clock division for that knob?
Please say yes!!! ;)
Voltera's tracks are independent of METRON's however, each can be their own pattern length as well! Still woprking out all of the interface i/o but as of now, pattern length workflow is as follows.

Hold Ptrn Lngth, press the Voltera button, view will change to show the 4 voltera tracks so you can use the matrix buttons to change pattern length of each individual Voltera track.

Expand/Contract still works.

Working out ideas for matching voltage changes to a certain gate pattern although we have found that it is not that necessary as it's very inttuitive to keep a track in line with a gate via the programming interface that's already implemented.

NastyNachos
Common Wiggler

Post by NastyNachos » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:29 am

ringstone wrote:Would it perhaps be possible to add another S.BUS mode that allows the Metron to send S.BUS patch changes to itself, allowing basic chaining of different programs (a rudimentary "song mode"?).

While the paradigm of combining and bouncing variations into new ones is a big step forward and a very natural way to work I was a little surprised, with so many memory save slots, there's no way to chain them together automatically.
Hey thanks for the idea. We have been talking about a "song mode" since before the release and working out different interface ideas for that use case.

Your idea is a good one and we will definitely worth consideration! We've got a few ideas of our own and some pretty high hanging carrots we want to be able to snatch when it comes to stringing sessions together.

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:46 am

When using Voltera like a more traditional sequencer, vs automation, does Voltera jump back to zero volts on non-programmed gates, or is it "smart" enough to know to hold the last programmed voltage (even tho the gate is over) until it reaches a new programmed voltage/gate combo?

What I mean is, for example, on a typical 8-step analog sequencer, if I program a "C" on step 1 and a "A" on step 3, that C isn't going to be held past step 1 unless I also program it on step 2.

It's pretty easy to just do the extra step on an 8 step sequencer, with a device like Metron that can go a lot longer and have multiple variations it becomes a pain to deal with when programming melodic lines with any long release envelope.

And oh yeah, almost forgot, can Voltera be programmed to slew between notes?

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tuj » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:29 pm

Now that people have had this for a while, who can give me some feedback on how they feel about it? How much combo-press stuff is there in your usage? I hate combo presses and I have memory difficulties with functions that are hidden and especially if they are not market on the panel. Make Noise is bad about that one, that's why I could never use a Tempi.

I didn't like Circandian Rythms because I couldn't get used to all the different views. How is the Metron in that regard?

Muse FTW
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Muse FTW » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:40 am

tuj wrote:Now that people have had this for a while, who can give me some feedback on how they feel about it? How much combo-press stuff is there in your usage? I hate combo presses and I have memory difficulties with functions that are hidden and especially if they are not market on the panel. Make Noise is bad about that one, that's why I could never use a Tempi.

I didn't like Circandian Rythms because I couldn't get used to all the different views. How is the Metron in that regard?
Metron is simply the best gate sequencer I've used in Eurorack.

The layout makes sense to me and there are a lot of labels on the faceplate, so I don't have to remember too much. I don't find myself doing combo presses as much as I am changing menus, making a change, and then returning to the original grid.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:41 pm

f'shiggs. this thing is amaaaaazinnnnng. super easy and quick, and the few functions that are multiple smappy remembering presses are very contiguous in their logical layout. once the basic approach is understood, it's beyond intuitive to apply that to the next feature to be adjusted.

and like Muse'icals, i spend pretty much all the time in the main view or the Fill FX page, quick boops into the other pages.

bastian23
Common Wiggler

Post by bastian23 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:40 am

will the Voltera be available in silver too? should fit my metron :love:

Bots
Common Wiggler

Post by Bots » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:21 pm

Voltera looks great, when is it available?

NastyNachos
Common Wiggler

Post by NastyNachos » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:14 pm

Ras Thavas wrote:When using Voltera like a more traditional sequencer, vs automation, does Voltera jump back to zero volts on non-programmed gates, or is it "smart" enough to know to hold the last programmed voltage (even tho the gate is over) until it reaches a new programmed voltage/gate combo?

What I mean is, for example, on a typical 8-step analog sequencer, if I program a "C" on step 1 and a "A" on step 3, that C isn't going to be held past step 1 unless I also program it on step 2.

It's pretty easy to just do the extra step on an 8 step sequencer, with a device like Metron that can go a lot longer and have multiple variations it becomes a pain to deal with when programming melodic lines with any long release envelope.

Voltera stays at the last voltage programmed until another so yes, you do not have to program every single step in a 128 step sequence, just every time you'd like the voltage to change.

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:42 pm

NastyNachos wrote:
Ras Thavas wrote:When using Voltera like a more traditional sequencer, vs automation, does Voltera jump back to zero volts on non-programmed gates, or is it "smart" enough to know to hold the last programmed voltage (even tho the gate is over) until it reaches a new programmed voltage/gate combo?

Voltera stays at the last voltage programmed until another so yes, you do not have to program every single step in a 128 step sequence, just every time you'd like the voltage to change.
Any idea when Voltera will ship? So stoked to add a couple to my Metron!

ringstone

Post by ringstone » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:11 am

I seem to have some slightly inconsistent behaviour with single track view mode:

If I hold [TRACK SELECT] to temporarily enter Single Track Mode for the second, third or fourth tracks, then select or deselect a step, then Single Track Mode latches on (as pressing [COMPOSE]) would do. This doesn't happen for the first track.

However, when Single Track Mode is latched normally, pressing the [TRACK SELECT] button for the latched track will exit that mode. This doesn't happen when the tracks are latched as above. The only way to exit the latched mode is to press [TRACK SELECT] for the first track, or [COMPOSE] *TWICE*. (Edit: [COMPOSE] then [TRACK SELECT] also works).

Also, I've twice managed to get my Metron into a state where I can't enter Single Track Mode for the second track (despite which track groups are chosen). Nudge works normally so the [TRACK SELECT] button is still active. Going into GLOBAL settings seemed to fix it, still trying to work out exactly how I got the machine into this state though.

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:04 pm

ringstone wrote:I seem to have some slightly inconsistent behaviour with single track view mode:

If I hold [TRACK SELECT] to temporarily enter Single Track Mode for the second, third or fourth tracks, then select or deselect a step, then Single Track Mode latches on (as pressing [COMPOSE]) would do. This doesn't happen for the first track.

However, when Single Track Mode is latched normally, pressing the [TRACK SELECT] button for the latched track will exit that mode. This doesn't happen when the tracks are latched as above. The only way to exit the latched mode is to press [TRACK SELECT] for the first track, or [COMPOSE] *TWICE*. (Edit: [COMPOSE] then [TRACK SELECT] also works).

Also, I've twice managed to get my Metron into a state where I can't enter Single Track Mode for the second track (despite which track groups are chosen). Nudge works normally so the [TRACK SELECT] button is still active. Going into GLOBAL settings seemed to fix it, still trying to work out exactly how I got the machine into this state though.
Thank you for the detailed report. We should be able to sort this out before the next update.
VINO MALO | Designer and Software Developer for WMD

ringstone

Post by ringstone » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:59 pm

c0rpse wrote:
ringstone wrote:I seem to have some slightly inconsistent behaviour with single track view mode:

Thank you for the detailed report. We should be able to sort this out before the next update.
Thanks! I will also mention that latching the Single Track Mode automatically when you press a step isn't a bad idea, it's just a bit disconcerting when the mode won't exit normally :)

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:49 am

Ras Thavas wrote:...

+1 Really want to know this.

NastyNachos
Common Wiggler

Post by NastyNachos » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:35 am

dysonant wrote:
Ras Thavas wrote:...

+1 Really want to know this.
For the initial release, Voltera will only have stepped voltages. We are planning on a 'smooth' mode for slewed voltages across the entire sequence to come with a Firmware update down the road.

For individual note slides, we feel like it was best to do something about this issue outside of the sequencer as 1, there is no interface for it on Metron and 2, because the gates are not tied to voltages, it would take some clever planning on your part to make it happen.

Also, for those inquiring about a ship date. It is in line for production. We'll be announcing an official ship date Vsoon but for now all I can say is 4-6 weeks from now.

SO... with that I can announce a new module that we are going to release very soon after Voltera. It's a 4HP, 2 channel Triggered slew. So you run your pitch information in and out and adjust a knob for slew amount. Then, it will not slew until you hit the gate input with a gate. Turn any stepped voltage sequencer into the acid box of your dreams... there are two channels so you can manipulate two signals individually AND there is invert logic so you can flip a switch to engage slewing all of the time UNLESS it gets a gate.I showed a prototype at LA Synth EXPO and Velocity Festival last week and most that saw it were stoked!

We're still working on the name but once that is figured out, we will put it in line for production. Any Ideas?

microfauna
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by microfauna » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:46 am

NastyNachos wrote:
SO... with that I can announce a new module that we are going to release very soon after Voltera. It's a 4HP, 2 channel Triggered slew. So you run your pitch information in and out and adjust a knob for slew amount. Then, it will not slew until you hit the gate input with a gate. Turn any stepped voltage sequencer into the acid box of your dreams... there are two channels so you can manipulate two signals individually AND there is invert logic so you can flip a switch to engage slewing all of the time UNLESS it gets a gate.I showed a prototype at LA Synth EXPO and Velocity Festival last week and most that saw it were stoked!

We're still working on the name but once that is figured out, we will put it in line for production. Any Ideas?
Will this be a constant time? (ie same time between whatever pitches 303 style)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”