Pit Modular Case & Knurlies

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

jdvmi00
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:45 am
Location: Dallas, Texas

Pit Modular Case & Knurlies

Post by jdvmi00 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:32 am

I have the Pit Modular Structure EP-420. I love the case but absolutely hate the sliding nuts and non standard M2.5 screws/nuts.

I would really like to use Knurlies with this case but it seems those are only M3 screws. Is there anyway to convert the case to M3 rails that don't use those damn sliding nuts?

User avatar
lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4986
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:00 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by lisa » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:43 am

M2.5 Knurlies will be made this summer. :sb:
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece where Instruō harmonàig is doing the chords. 🐡


User avatar
cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3872
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:48 am
Location: People's Republic of Scotland

Post by cptnal » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:58 am

I vaguely remember reading about someone modding fixed pitch rails into a Pittsburgh case. You'll probably find it in the Pittsburgh cases thread.

User avatar
jfb
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Creve Coeur, MO

Post by jfb » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:58 pm

lisa wrote:M2.5 Knurlies will be made this summer. :sb:
Really?! That's awesome!

I do know that the new PM case on display at Sweetwater's Gear Fest was a rail insert instead of their usual sliding nuts. It was still m2.5 screws.

jdvmi00
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:45 am
Location: Dallas, Texas

Post by jdvmi00 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:09 pm

lisa wrote:M2.5 Knurlies will be made this summer. :sb:
Nice, I guess it would make it a tad better dealing with the sliding nuts.

danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:10 am

Post by danishchairs » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:36 pm

M2.5 Knurlies won’t help with the Pittsburgh Structure 420 case. The nuts (and included screws) are 4-40, not M2.5.

From the Pittsburgh site:
Image

Sound precedes music | Instruments for Neb2 module


danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:10 am

Re: Pit Modular Case & Knurlies

Post by danishchairs » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:44 pm

jdvmi00 wrote:I have the Pit Modular Structure EP-420. I love the case but absolutely hate the sliding nuts and non standard M2.5 screws/nuts.

I would really like to use Knurlies with this case but it seems those are only M3 screws. Is there anyway to convert the case to M3 rails that don't use those damn sliding nuts?
Yes, you can replace the sliding nuts with M3 threaded strips. I did it recently and just installed my modules into an EP-420 case using Knurlies. :tu:

Sound precedes music | Instruments for Neb2 module


jdvmi00
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:45 am
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Pit Modular Case & Knurlies

Post by jdvmi00 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:19 am

danishchairs wrote: Yes, you can replace the sliding nuts with M3 threaded strips. I did it recently and just installed my modules into an EP-420 case using Knurlies. :tu:
Details please? Where did you source the rails?

User avatar
SCOOBA_TANK
Common Wiggler
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:42 am
Location: WęSTüRñMã

Re: Pit Modular Case & Knurlies

Post by SCOOBA_TANK » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:29 am

jdvmi00 wrote:
danishchairs wrote: Yes, you can replace the sliding nuts with M3 threaded strips. I did it recently and just installed my modules into an EP-420 case using Knurlies. :tu:
Details please? Where did you source the rails?
+1 on the source lead please!

danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:10 am

Re: Pit Modular Case & Knurlies

Post by danishchairs » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:16 am

SCOOBA_TANK wrote:
jdvmi00 wrote:
danishchairs wrote: Yes, you can replace the sliding nuts with M3 threaded strips. I did it recently and just installed my modules into an EP-420 case using Knurlies. :tu:
Details please? Where did you source the rails?
+1 on the source lead please!
You bet! I got mine from Newark:
http://www.newark.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... reId=10194

Note: These are not rails, but rather threaded strips that go into the rails, replacing the sliding nuts. I used the Vector rails that came with the EP-420.

I could only find the M3 threaded strips in 84 HP length. For the EP-420 case, I bought 10 of them. Then I had to cut some of them and file the ends. In my case, 4 of the rails have two threaded strips (84 HP and 56 HP), and the other 2 rails have three strips (84 HP, 28 HP and 28 HP). You have to do a little arithmetic. Measure twice (or three times!), cut once! (Then file a lot. :spin: )

Here’s the technical data sheet for this threaded strip:
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/18120 ... 1482769379

Sound precedes music | Instruments for Neb2 module


User avatar
lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4986
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:00 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by lisa » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:17 am

danishchairs wrote:M2.5 Knurlies won’t help with the Pittsburgh Structure 420 case. The nuts (and included screws) are 4-40, not M2.5.
Aaaah. Crap. :sadbanana:
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece where Instruō harmonàig is doing the chords. 🐡


jdvmi00
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:45 am
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Pit Modular Case & Knurlies

Post by jdvmi00 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:01 pm

danishchairs wrote: You bet! I got mine from Newark:
http://www.newark.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... reId=10194

Note: These are not rails, but rather threaded strips that go into the rails, replacing the sliding nuts. I used the Vector rails that came with the EP-420.

I could only find the M3 threaded strips in 84 HP length. For the EP-420 case, I bought 10 of them. Then I had to cut some of them and file the ends. In my case, 4 of the rails have two threaded strips (84 HP and 56 HP), and the other 2 rails have three strips (84 HP, 28 HP and 28 HP). You have to do a little arithmetic. Measure twice (or three times!), cut once! (Then file a lot. :spin: )

Here’s the technical data sheet for this threaded strip:
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/18120 ... 1482769379
Awesome, thanks so much, just ordered 20 strips to replace both of my PM cases. Now I need to order a bunch of Knurlies. Super excited to be done with those damn sliding nuts!

User avatar
behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1419
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:05 am
Location: East Bay, Cali
Contact:

Post by behndy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:41 pm

it's always interesting to me, the severe divide on opinion for slidy nuttsals. i haaaaaate the ide of modules not being flush with each other, so love slides. but i get why some people prefer a system where you don't have to count out ahead of time or move an extra module or two to add something new.

but anybody that dislikes Knurlies is just WRONG.

ALL. THE KINDS. OF WRONG. POSSIBLE.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

User avatar
SCOOBA_TANK
Common Wiggler
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:42 am
Location: WęSTüRñMã

Re: Pit Modular Case & Knurlies

Post by SCOOBA_TANK » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:03 pm

danishchairs wrote:You bet! I got mine from Newark:
http://www.newark.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... reId=10194

Note: These are not rails, but rather threaded strips that go into the rails, replacing the sliding nuts. I used the Vector rails that came with the EP-420.

I could only find the M3 threaded strips in 84 HP length. For the EP-420 case, I bought 10 of them. Then I had to cut some of them and file the ends. In my case, 4 of the rails have two threaded strips (84 HP and 56 HP), and the other 2 rails have three strips (84 HP, 28 HP and 28 HP). You have to do a little arithmetic. Measure twice (or three times!), cut once! (Then file a lot. :spin: )

Here’s the technical data sheet for this threaded strip:
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/18120 ... 1482769379
HELL YES!!!! Thanks!!! Ordering some now! Can’t wait to get these installed and finally have the Knurlies back in action!!!

User avatar
337is
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1249
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Post by 337is » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:50 am

M2.5 Knurlies for LZX Vessels? YES PLEASE!!

PS: It's summer. :tu:
SCloud
Vimeo
YTube
MGrid

I've had great B/S/T transactions with: ryandfl, Soy Sos, metaBit, haven, swordsect, goiks, FSK1138, numan7, dubno, VanEck, rico loverde, C14ru5, spunkytoofers, paults, vonbonenstein, soundwave106, d.thomas, dropmotif, Cadence, & TheNavigator

User avatar
bommelito
Common Wiggler
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:41 am
Location: Germany

Post by bommelito » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:13 am

I replaced the sliding nuts in my Pittsburgh Move 104 with threaded 3mm strips, too.
And, since I had only 84HP strips, I also had to cut another strip to fill up the rails.

Some tips for those who want to do it:

1. insert the cut segment so that the trimmed end is at the end of the rail.
Like this, you avoid problems with the hole spacing from one strip segment to the next.

2. the strips are thinner than the rail slots. Therefore, the strips might sit a bit slanted in the slots. This can cause problems when you install the first module (the screws won't find the holes).
In this case, simply turn a (empty) screw in the middle of the strip and tighten it. The strip segment will come up and sit flush in the rail.

3. When cutting a strip, fix it to another strip by 2 screws. Thus, you have a clear mark where to cut, and the spacing between the holes will be perfect.

Image

jdvmi00
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:45 am
Location: Dallas, Texas

Post by jdvmi00 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:54 am

bommelito wrote:I replaced the sliding nuts in my Pittsburgh Move 104 with threaded 3mm strips, too.
And, since I had only 84HP strips, I also had to cut another strip to fill up the rails.

Some tips for those who want to do it:

1. insert the cut segment so that the trimmed end is at the end of the rail.
Like this, you avoid problems with the hole spacing from one strip segment to the next.

2. the strips are thinner than the rail slots. Therefore, the strips might sit a bit slanted in the slots. This can cause problems when you install the first module (the screws won't find the holes).
In this case, simply turn a (empty) screw in the middle of the strip and tighten it. The strip segment will come up and sit flush in the rail.

3. When cutting a strip, fix it to another strip by 2 screws. Thus, you have a clear mark where to cut, and the spacing between the holes will be perfect.
Thanks so much for these tips!

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 2:57 am

Post by Nutritional Zero » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:11 pm

Sliding nuts are horrendous.

User avatar
snadge
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:03 pm
Location: Newcastle(ish) UK.

Post by snadge » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:09 pm

Nutritional Zero wrote:Sliding nuts are horrendous.
I prefer them as some of my modules ~steal~ HP.

For anyone that wants to know the pittsburgh square nuts are 4.6mm, M3 square nuts are 5.5mm, I have just finished filing adjacent flats on 150 of the little buggers.

If you are going this route get stainless steel ones, the zinc ones will definitely clog your file up.

Brgbeat
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:57 am

Re: Pit Modular Case & Knurlies

Post by Brgbeat » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:54 am

Hi, hopefully enough time has passed to resolve this.
I recently bought an EP420 case it came with no screws. I'm happy with sliding nuts but as I only have 3 mm knurlies, I can't screw anything in.
Do 2.5 mm knurlies work ?
Do 2.5mmx6mm screws work ?
If not where can you buy 4/40 screws in the UK ?

User avatar
DeepDarkSpace
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:47 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Pit Modular Case & Knurlies

Post by DeepDarkSpace » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:09 pm

Yes, 2.5 mm knurlies work on the EP cases.

Brgbeat
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:57 am

Re: Pit Modular Case & Knurlies

Post by Brgbeat » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:41 pm

Thanks much appreciated

User avatar
soggybag
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:57 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Pit Modular Case & Knurlies

Post by soggybag » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:23 pm

I have a Pittsburgh 208 and I took out the sliding nuts and put threaded strips in. I also bought knurlies. It was not hard to do. I bought the threaded strips from Digikey which were 84hp in length. I had to buy three and cut some short strips to fill out the rest of the space. I had to get knurlies with the correct thread for the strips which were the M2.5.

submute
Common Wiggler
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:23 pm
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Re: Pit Modular Case & Knurlies

Post by submute » Wed May 27, 2020 7:52 pm

I have the EP 420 and my 2.5 Knurlies do NOT work very well: I don't know if the nuts are too deep in the rail or what but I have a very difficult time getting them to catch. In fact, even with washers and the screws that came w/ the EP 420, those don't work either, can't catch the nut. It's frustrating.

User avatar
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3803
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:10 am
Location: New York City

Re: Pit Modular Case & Knurlies

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed May 27, 2020 8:07 pm

Cross posting this (from here). Pulp Logic has the 140hp M2.5 strips—no cutting required. The M2.5 knurlies work great. Only gamble is that some of your Vector rails might be tight and you’ll have to file down the strips a little:
I’m back, filing my report on converting my two EP-420s to threaded strips. The project was successful, but comes with a warning.

Pulp Logic had 140hp strips in stock, ready to go, and they were delivered quicker than I expected. John at Pulp Logic was quite helpful to me through the whole process, including the troubleshooting.

Unscrewing and detaching the rail assembly was trivial. The six screws that hold each rail assembly in the case go straight into the plywood, so you want to do all this quite carefully (and as few times as possible) to avoid wrecking the screw holes. If you strip them out, you may have to drill clear through and install bolts.

Here comes the warning: while on one of my two EP-420s, the strips just slid right in on the other EP-420 four of the six didn’t fit. It took me about an hour and a half with a hand file to shave four strips down until they’d slide in. One rail was particularly reticent, but I did eventually prevail. The problem does not appear to be the strips, but slightly off-spec Vector rails. Any of the twelve strips I ordered would slide happily into eight of my twelve rails—it was the four specific rails that were the problem. So, this aspect of the conversion is a crap shoot: you won’t know if you have sub-spec Vector rails until you try . The strips are thinner than the sliding nuts—the problem can be the height. What I wound up doing is screwing the four strips together as one with knurlies and rasping away at both sides of the resulting bundle across a few sessions. Not the end of the world, but I’d have preferred to not have had to do the extra work.
IMG_0145.jpeg
IMG_0146.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”