POLLY - just another shift register?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

MatMillion
Common Wiggler

Post by MatMillion » Tue May 08, 2018 11:44 am

pieter wrote:I really love this idea. Having the option to seed the register is what I sometimes miss in the Turing Machine. I also think that keeping it simple is the right way to go.

I understand it is still early days, but do you have a ballpark ETA and price? I promise I won't hold you to it... :razz:
Thats exactly why I made it. The turing machine is a great tool, but I wanted to seed the register and maybe not even loop it. hint: There is a connector for the turing expanders...

I dont have an exact ETA, but as I'm using it for a while now in my live-rack and didn't run in any trouble, I'd say it is ready for production. I thought about funding the first run with a kickstarter. Price will be somwhere in between doepfer and cwejman, but closer to doepfer I guess. :D

I'll keep you updated.

Meanwhile another video:

[video][/video]

Cheers, Matze

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:50 am

MatMillion wrote: Meanwhile another video:

Cheers, Matze
lovely patch, now all I need is a QMMF-4 ... :cry:

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Tue May 08, 2018 12:54 pm

Great new teaser! I'll back your kickstarter, provided the price is not too close to cwejman... ;-)

I would also be open to a DIY project (either panel + pcb or full kit).

adh82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adh82 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:27 pm

It's looking so damn good. I'll back you!

TechForze
Common Wiggler

Post by TechForze » Wed May 09, 2018 11:55 am

pieter wrote:Great new teaser! I'll back your kickstarter, provided the price is not too close to cwejman... ;-)

I would also be open to a DIY project (either panel + pcb or full kit).
Would love a DIY (panel + pcb) :cloud:
Current racks / trade: ModularGrid

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed May 09, 2018 2:02 pm

Kickstarter? :hmm:
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

adnauseam
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adnauseam » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:13 am

Any news on this?

Just what I was looking for - a Patchable Shift Register. Combining it with a Short Bus and the RYO Logic Series of modules could be some serious fun.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:39 pm

moof. i have DESIRE.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

MatMillion
Common Wiggler

Post by MatMillion » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:41 pm

Sorry, i was distracted by building huge sequencer ;)

The thing is, I am not completely happy with the input. Today I was able to achieve some improvements. The maximum clock frequency one can use should now be around 300khz (have to test it exactly), which is pretty fast for audio, but I heard the video community is thinking more in terms of MHz.

So my question, would you like to see an improvement in this regard or is 300khz fast enough for everybody? :)

Development is finished besides that, I could go into manufacturing ASAP.
If I try to improve the input comparator, it will maybe take a few more weeks.

Cheers!
Matze

adnauseam
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adnauseam » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:24 pm

MatMillion wrote:Sorry, i was distracted by building huge sequencer ;)

The thing is, I am not completely happy with the input. Today I was able to achieve some improvements. The maximum clock frequency one can use should now be around 300khz (have to test it exactly), which is pretty fast for audio, but I heard the video community is thinking more in terms of MHz.

So my question, would you like to see an improvement in this regard or is 300khz fast enough for everybody? :)
I can't speak for the video people. I'd like to say that for myself 300khz is more than enough.

MatMillion
Common Wiggler

Post by MatMillion » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:10 pm

faster speeds may also be interesting in analog computing applications..

I'll test something early next week and evaluate. If test is positive, I guess I'll take the extra round, because for me Polly is the foundation to a bigger idea.

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:00 am

Faster speeds are nice because if the modules down the line require the rising edge of a gate to trigger then the resulting rhythms will most likely be much slower (multiple consecutive 1s are interpreted as one trigger, or at least this is the case with a module that I have that's based on a TI CD4015.

Most eurorack oscillators don't come close to 300K though. The Synchrodyne and expander reach 200K AFAIR, very useful.
Last edited by huffnPuff on Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:23 am

the best is the enemy of the good ;)

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:32 am

Double post.

adnauseam
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adnauseam » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:02 am

What's happening with the project? I guess Christmas time is busy for most folks.

:hmm:

maltemark
Ultra Wiggler

Post by maltemark » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:39 am

Signing up my interest for this

strawberry
Common Wiggler

Post by strawberry » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:46 am

me too

adnauseam
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adnauseam » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:25 am

Keeping it _alive_

:eek:

MatMillion
Common Wiggler

Post by MatMillion » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:01 pm

Still alive, but so many other things on the agenda...

But I'm really not happy with keeping this thing for myself, so it has to see the light!!

I managed to redo the input section, so now it seems to hold up to Mhz range, but there's still a decision to make regarding core functionality. Its complicated, but in short, there might be confusing situations when patching loops. There is one solution which would require another loop-input (which is already accesible on the backside), but theres no space left at all at the faceplate. All other workarounds would cause trouble in other situations, so I tend to do an expander for that, dedicated for patching loops.

Another topic is compatible logic modules. I found most currently avaliable logic modules are not working well in regards of XOR. The only ones that work flawless are CMOS-based modules and there are currently not many available on the market. Also the Ladik modules work, but he sent me a custom firmware for that. All other processor based logic modules I tried failed.

There is a simple test. Mult a squarewave to both inputs of an xor and monitor the output. if there are triggers coming out, its unfortunately not working correctly.

Sorry that all of this takes ages, but I'm on it!

chachi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chachi » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:09 pm

super fun looking module!

acgenerator
Ultra Wiggler

Post by acgenerator » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:55 am

MatMillion wrote: Another topic is compatible logic modules. I found most currently available logic modules are not working well in regards of XOR. The only ones that work flawless are CMOS-based modules and there are currently not many available on the market. Also the Ladik modules work, but he sent me a custom firmware for that. All other processor based logic modules I tried failed.
The cynical side of me wonders why you need to create a loop function at all... it's a simple patch. i.e. at what point to we insist the musician learn to master their own instrument? A Buffered Multi / basic logic module are something a potential user really ought to have.

I'd also speculate it's safe to assume most video synthesis folks have an appropriately fast utilities if they could put a Shift Register to use anyways.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:11 am

I'm still interested in this module if it ever sees the light of day.

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:52 pm

Thanks for bumping this Paranormal Patroler. This module went completely under my radar and reading throught the post I am very very interested in any developments regarding Poly.

Severed head
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Severed head » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:49 pm

MatMillion wrote:Still alive, but so many other things on the agenda...

But I'm really not happy with keeping this thing for myself, so it has to see the light!!

I managed to redo the input section, so now it seems to hold up to Mhz range, but there's still a decision to make regarding core functionality. Its complicated, but in short, there might be confusing situations when patching loops. There is one solution which would require another loop-input (which is already accesible on the backside), but theres no space left at all at the faceplate. All other workarounds would cause trouble in other situations, so I tend to do an expander for that, dedicated for patching loops.

Another topic is compatible logic modules. I found most currently avaliable logic modules are not working well in regards of XOR. The only ones that work flawless are CMOS-based modules and there are currently not many available on the market. Also the Ladik modules work, but he sent me a custom firmware for that. All other processor based logic modules I tried failed.

There is a simple test. Mult a squarewave to both inputs of an xor and monitor the output. if there are triggers coming out, its unfortunately not working correctly.

Sorry that all of this takes ages, but I'm on it!
looks like your thinking of changes or finding ways to make it better and better
..theres always MKII

I mean this in a positive fun hatred way.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:29 am

BaloErets wrote:Thanks for bumping this Paranormal Patroler. This module went completely under my radar and reading throught the post I am very very interested in any developments regarding Poly.
You're more than welcome BaloErets. It came to mind out of the blue, as I'm in need of such a functionality and I got curious if it saw the light of day. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”