POLLY - just another shift register?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

MatMillion
Common Wiggler

POLLY - just another shift register?

Post by MatMillion » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:13 pm

Hi folks,

I'm developing a new module since a while. It is a clocked binary shift register with 2 inputs and 9 outputs.
Built completely with CMOS parts (no cpu) and the size will be 4HP.

It is a very basic module (like a clock devider) but with some clever twists.

The big challenge was to deal with the various clocking-/latency issues within the modular environment and to provide a stable solution.

Below you find two videos showing the breadboard prototype. One is showing the basic functionality, the second video demonstrates one simple (more or less musical) patch.

More technical details and videos with the eurorack prototype are coming soon!

What you can do with it?
Just some thoughts and facts:

patchable LFSR
digital noise
pseudo random rhythms
1bit ad with nice aliasing and "binary beating"
runs audio rate! tested up to 100khz
algorithmic composition
rhythmic derivation using time relations
combine it with logic and or clock deviders
use rhythmic clocks
gate chopper
trigger connector
(up to) 8 step looper
level based (or rising edge) input (the key ingredient)
triggered or gated outputs with 10Vpp
expansion port (wink ;)
... ... ...

Let me know what you thoughts are.

Mat

Teaser 1
[video][/video]

Teaser 2
[video][/video]

[UPDATE1]

Teaser 3
[video][/video]

[UPDATE2]

Teaser 4
[video][/video]
Last edited by MatMillion on Tue May 08, 2018 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Summa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Summa » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:21 pm

I really enjoy ASR's, I currently own two Plan B M23's and a DU-RDT, can't really tell what's going on in the videos you posted but looking forward seeing a eurorack proto at least.

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:46 pm

I don't think it is an analog shift register, I think it is a logical shift register. It is only outputting triggers.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

MatMillion
Common Wiggler

Post by MatMillion » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:05 pm

authorless wrote:I don't think it is an analog shift register, I think it is a logical shift register. It is only outputting triggers.
you are right. It is binary and outputs gates or triggers.
Summa wrote:I really enjoy ASR's, I currently own two Plan B M23's and a DU-RDT, can't really tell what's going on in the videos you posted but looking forward seeing a eurorack proto at least.
the du-rdt is a similar idea and I'm also a big fan! basically I wanted to have all outputs at once, not only two.

But the bigger difference is, that Polly works properly with other clocked trigger sources, like step sequencers, etc. the du-rdt doesn't even accept its own triggers. That makes it unsuable in a lot of applications.

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:46 pm

This is cool, not unlike the Turing, but it doesn’t let you set the state of each step (like your input)
Is it possible to get more steps out of it, like 16?
A few of those and some switching could create a pretty cool self evolving drum brain :tu:

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:10 am

I have a DU-RDT. The main shortcoming is that the number of steps is fixed. If you could have a switch that varies the number of steps I would be interested.

hyena
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hyena » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:35 am

huge fan of the zorlon cannon mk][ here so i will follow the development of this one with great curiosity!

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:38 pm

I watched the videos and I am in. I'd also prefer to lose an output and opt for a small knob to reduce the number of total steps. Looks cool though, and I can think of a few nice ideas where it could be useful. Very Euclidean actually!

Super curious how it would react in a simple feedback patch. Clock it normally. Send one gate pulse and then plug the 9th output at the gate input before it loses the original gate pulse. Looping delayed pulse?
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:36 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:I watched the videos and I am in. I'd also prefer to lose an output and opt for a small knob to reduce the number of total steps. Looks cool though, and I can think of a few nice ideas where it could be useful. Very Euclidean actually!

Super curious how it would react in a simple feedback patch. Clock it normally. Send one gate pulse and then plug the 9th output at the gate input before it loses the original gate pulse. Looping delayed pulse?
This is exactly what I’m thinking :twisted:

MatMillion
Common Wiggler

Post by MatMillion » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:36 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:I watched the videos and I am in. I'd also prefer to lose an output and opt for a small knob to reduce the number of total steps. Looks cool though, and I can think of a few nice ideas where it could be useful. Very Euclidean actually!

you create loops exactly like that. just patch an output into the input. even more convenient if you use an a-b switch, which alternates between input and feedback loop. then you can start looping at any time.

just a little hint... feeding back two outputs combined with an xor logic makes a LFSR.

the loop length is determined by the output you chose for feeding it back into the input.

I decided to keep it very simple, because it is most flexible.
but as there is an expansion port, it would be easy to make a looping expansion with a dial for the output you feed back.

another hint.. add a coin flip to the feedback path and you got yourself a turing machine. :)

MatMillion
Common Wiggler

Post by MatMillion » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:45 am

Dcramer wrote:This is cool, not unlike the Turing, but it doesn’t let you set the state of each step (like your input)
Is it possible to get more steps out of it, like 16?
A few of those and some switching could create a pretty cool self evolving drum brain :tu:
for 16 steps just use two (haha) and patch output 9 into the input of the next. the first output is always reflecting the input.

I'll post a video of the euro prototype in the next days when I find some free time. I find it really difficult to make understandable patches, because it is so much fun to do the more complex stuff. :)

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:46 pm

Go for the complex stuff. I rewatched the videos today and I have to say I'm intrigued. Not sure how to use it with trigger sequencers but I'm positive I can come up with some nice ideas.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

MatMillion
Common Wiggler

Post by MatMillion » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:16 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:Go for the complex stuff. I rewatched the videos today and I have to say I'm intrigued. Not sure how to use it with trigger sequencers but I'm positive I can come up with some nice ideas.
another prototype is ready, more videos are coming next days.

guestt

Post by guestt » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:21 am

hyena wrote:huge fan of the zorlon cannon mk][ here so i will follow the development of this one with great curiosity!
Same here, always interested in shift registers or anything along those lines :)

Prototype looks great - nice work - I think you're very brave - good luck!!

:tu:

Another +1 for the complex stuff!

Trebbers
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Trebbers » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:08 am

Interested in this, especially if I can replace a Doepfer A-149-2 expander with one. I like having the random gates from the expander, but the main module is kinda superfluous in my system.

adh82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adh82 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:44 pm

This looks amazing! I'm totally into it. Having a sequence running into just friends with this triggering it will be nuts! I'll take one especially with the prototype looking so good!

bengersfood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bengersfood » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:58 pm

I find it hard to judge from the photo. Is the prototype 6hp?

kamindustries
Common Wiggler

Post by kamindustries » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:18 pm

Yeah this looks lovely, nice demos and I like the LED strip. OP said it'll be 4hp and the photo seems about right.

bengersfood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bengersfood » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:37 pm

4hp. I missed that. Lovely!

Summa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Summa » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:02 pm

ahem...is your company named: "MILF"? :hmm: or did I misinterpret that somehow?

franman69
Veteran Wiggler

Post by franman69 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:45 pm

Love ASR's.. subscribed

MatMillion
Common Wiggler

Post by MatMillion » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:11 am

bengersfood wrote:I find it hard to judge from the photo. Is the prototype 6hp?
it is and will be 4HP

Here is another simple vid just showing a sequence running into polly, triggering 4 drum voices. no logic etc involved, just pure "delays".

[video][/video]

TechForze
Common Wiggler

Post by TechForze » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:48 am

Patching (8 OR data) would loop it! Got a DU-RDT, but interested in this as well.
Current racks / trade: ModularGrid

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:15 pm

I really love this idea. Having the option to seed the register is what I sometimes miss in the Turing Machine. I also think that keeping it simple is the right way to go.

I understand it is still early days, but do you have a ballpark ETA and price? I promise I won't hold you to it... :razz:

Godphaser
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Godphaser » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:40 pm

This module looks mad interesting! :party:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”