THE SPACE CASE TE-2 - Eurorack / Standalone Echo + Tape Unit

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Kummer
Ultra Wiggler

Re: THE SPACE CASE TE-2 - Eurorack / Standalone Echo + Tape Unit

Post by Kummer » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:12 pm

I will say this.. I was super interested in this when it was first announced. I asked him if I could get on a waiting list for it without paying upfront (or possibly a portion amount). He said no and asked why. I said there were a number of instances of people paying upfront (one very notable case in particular) and getting screwed over in one way or another. Seeing how this has progressed, I’m glad I didn’t. Im not saying he won’t ultimately deliver, but I agree with those who have paid and want more info and to see definite progress. knowing how far away you are from a working product and yet still opening up device preorders, isn’t the best of ideas I feel... Because of course people are going to get pissed off at you.
I AM THAT I AM

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:47 pm

Kummer wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:12 pm
I will say this.. I was super interested in this when it was first announced. I asked him if I could get on a waiting list for it without paying upfront (or possibly a portion amount). He said no and asked why. I said there were a number of instances of people paying upfront (one very notable case in particular) and getting screwed over in one way or another. Seeing how this has progressed, I’m glad I didn’t. Im not saying he won’t ultimately deliver, but I agree with those who have paid and want more info and to see definite progress. knowing how far away you are from a working product and yet still opening up device preorders, isn’t the best of ideas I feel... Because of course people are going to get pissed off at you.
I wonder why you would not want to have a waiting list. I assumed that he just wanted to keep everything as exclusive as possible, so that you can produce a desirable product that only a very limited amount people with money can afford. I mean I finally got my Res-4 after waiting for two or three years. But I was on that waiting list and one day you will get an e-mail saying its your turn now. I mean if you want to fund your project there is kickstarter. There are myths that seem to be unsolved in here and puts your believings in the good in a challenge. Lets pray and hope one day we will be rewarded for not having lost our faith. Amen

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:09 pm

My thoughts on Kickstarter are that you need to provide a legitimate timeline for your product and release. That might not be difficult for an established manufacturer knocking out a module but for something like this, it might not have been feasible to create that timeline or desirable from the standpoint of the creator.

Jim seems to be the kind of guy that sweats the details and loves the process. Not sure if a Kickstarter is his style.
Fellow North Jersey Synthaholic

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:19 pm

...the discussion here is spinning circles. In the end we all have to wait and there's nothing other left to do for us so then well let's meditate and focus on other things than that TE-2. Even if this means that I have to let go the money we paid for - at least in the mind. What would Siddhartha do?

If you're reading this and living near the Catskills HQ why don't you go over and be knockin' on that door, talking to Jim in person. I'd PayPal you a beer right away if you do so... :ghost:
Last edited by slumberjack on Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:17 pm

slumberjack wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:19 pm
...What would Siddharta do?

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:48 pm

revtor wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:09 pm
My thoughts on Kickstarter are that you need to provide a legitimate timeline for your product and release. That might not be difficult for an established manufacturer knocking out a module but for something like this, it might not have been feasible to create that timeline or desirable from the standpoint of the creator.

Jim seems to be the kind of guy that sweats the details and loves the process. Not sure if a Kickstarter is his style.
Kickstarter also requires a prototype as far as I'm aware.

I don't think anyone has said don't ask questions but, honestly, if this were a scam i just don't think for a second that we'd have a known tape tech who was previously making and selling tape delays all of a sudden dream up this amazing device to, well, just rip us all off. Think, if Jim suceeds in this he'll make more fucking money selling them till he dies than he would off the pre-orders, yes he obviously funded the whole thing off the pre-orders but i mean anyone who pre-ordered must have realised that? no? I certainly did anyway.

Its not the questions that are becoming the problem, its the list of other accusations that go with them, like the buyers update being something divisive rather than just being something to placate the waiting ensemble of buyers.... The way things are being twisted in this thread is just pretty out of order... In the uk you are innocent until proven guilty; but obviously not in this thread....

People are trying to make you believe that a PCB that controls analogue behaviour that is literally 1970's or earlier technology is beyond realisation.... Its just not true, its delayed, but honestly theres nothing in this device that is "apple iphone" levels of engineering... nothing... its totally doable even by one man with a little help here and there and trying to detract from the whole thing because of its delay is ugly... especially when your only vested interest in the whole affair is to sit and poke holes in it from behind a keyboard.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:30 am

appliancide wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:17 pm
slumberjack wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:19 pm
...What would Siddharta do?
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/wz9x5rdAFiw/maxresdefault.jpg
That posture... :omg:
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

cscairney
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cscairney » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:42 pm

This is such an awesome concept and undertaking. Would love to see a video of the work on the mechanical aspects...can’t wait to hear the possibilities

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:51 pm

Edit - deleted
Last edited by TemplarK on Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:21 pm

How does it sound?
I criticize by creation and by finding fault

“No more alcohol
It's a Kool-aid substitute”

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:49 pm

TemplarK wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:51 pm
cscairney wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:42 pm
This is such an awesome concept and undertaking. Would love to see a video of the work on the mechanical aspects...can’t wait to hear the possibilities
You might want to hold back on any enthusiasm for this project mate it apparently renders you weak, stupid and susceptible to poetry you don't fully understand but would like to....
????? :hmm:

misterphoneman
Common Wiggler

Post by misterphoneman » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:18 pm

It also turns you into a coke sniffing, Ponzi scheming, Scientologist ... apparently.

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:26 am

onthebandwagon wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:21 pm
How does it sound?
Pages 27-31 of this thread you can find some clips posted.. instagram and soundcloud. you have to wade through people complaining and slagging Jim and the project. Which if you’re in on this thread in any depth you’re used to. And which if you gave him money a couple years ago, you’re entitled to. Many of us out there waiting patiently. An electromechanical digital/analog project from the ground up with 6 pcb’s and full enclosure in the middle of a global pandemic. . takes time. I for one hope Jim does NOT rush any aspect of this and hopefully he’s thick skinned and rarely visits this place (I sure as hell would be turned off by now) His last promised date of 2085 seems doable, hopefully he comes in a few decades ahead of schedule.

timothyjr
Common Wiggler

Post by timothyjr » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:24 am

What I'm finding disappointing about this thread is that, if I were Jim, I wouldn't bother ever coming back here if I cared about my mental health. I get the complaining and griping, but this is getting quite toxic.
Crooked Walking:
Instagram
YouTube

cscairney
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cscairney » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:38 am

Well I’ve ordered. It’s going to sound great on the minimoog!

Great work takes time.

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:55 am

timothyjr wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:24 am
What I'm finding disappointing about this thread is that, if I were Jim, I wouldn't bother ever coming back here if I cared about my mental health. I get the complaining and griping, but this is getting quite toxic.
Kind of agree, but on the other hand criticisms can be helpfull to not make the same mistakes twice. He definetly now knows ho much he can stretch a schedule before people start beginning crazy. Can't blame some people for not being patient enough, even though I'm not in favour of attacking Jim personally or spreading false informations.

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:35 pm

Estes wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:55 am
Kind of agree, but on the other hand criticisms can be helpfull to not make the same mistakes twice. He definetly now knows ho much he can stretch a schedule before people start beginning crazy.
Agreed. The TE-3 should be smoooooth sailing! :sstorm:

timothyjr
Common Wiggler

Post by timothyjr » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:33 pm

Estes wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:55 am
Kind of agree, but on the other hand criticisms can be helpfull to not make the same mistakes twice. He definetly now knows ho much he can stretch a schedule before people start beginning crazy. Can't blame some people for not being patient enough, even though I'm not in favour of attacking Jim personally or spreading false informations.
Yeah that's definitely a fair point. I just really enjoyed that Jim used to come round this thread a lot more (when was his last post?) but if I'm putting myself in his shoes, I'm probably not interested in enduring the vitriol. If the thread needs to be a place where people can vent, that's fine, I just wouldn't also expect it to be a place where Jim comes by.
Crooked Walking:
Instagram
YouTube

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:00 am

If I propose shipping date to my customers and I see that I can't deliver in time I will have some sleepless nights. If the customers is acting nasty on me (has happend) I fully understand that and it's putting me not as much down as the blame I'm taking on myself. There are other self-employed or business people in my surrounding which are not similar to me but most have a strong feeling for responsibility and can live with entitled and acting out of place customers pretty well if it's their own fault. It's not the same if someone is being a dick out of nothing but still then it's still a must to stay friendly and patient unless certain red lines like four letter words are crossed. But bear in mind that people who work in restaurants or hotels have customer relations on a way different level than what we have here in this thread. As an enterpreneur you gotta grow a thick skin - if you want to sit on that table then...

...but before you can sit on that table you first have to have you house - even if it's in Scotland. And before you're going to have your house the project manager have to actually manage all his 15 or somewhat contractors and all of those have to have their subcontractors. But if like to read a spoiler:
The interior designer which is obviously designing the table (you'd like to sit on) may or may not be responding to the project manager about if the design is yet to be finished or if they are out of businesses yet or if any of his vendors has the asked material in stock or not. Please get me out of here before I turn walnuts!
> WTB ADDAC502 <

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:28 am

Well I’m for one glad to hear that the main interior designer is still going to be doing the actual interior design but there is an interim designer currently doing the mockups. It keeps the project moving forward and lets the main designer clear their schedule for the cottage project in the next few months. It shows that the general contractor is actively solving problems and keeping the project moving forward!

misterphoneman
Common Wiggler

Post by misterphoneman » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:43 am

So staying along the same analogy, say you’re like most of us in the world without a lot of expendable cash on hand but you’re lucky enough to have a house built which means there’s a good chance that you’re getting out of the house that you’re currently living in. You have a projected time frame for the completion of your new house so you put your current one on the market. However things start to go awry with the build so you’ve got to put the sale of your current house on hold, not to mention now you’re probably paying on two mortgages. Not the perfect comparison but I’m sure you could probably see where emotions can start to run high. With that said, I agree 100% that the ad hominem attacks are not productive in the least bit.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread but if I had any input in this project, I would’ve been all for the Amish approach lol and rounded up every able body in the community to help get this house built! As the old saying goes, it takes a village…

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:46 am

misterphoneman wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:43 am
ad hominem attacks are
never ok - even after you got insulted you should say thank you some would say. Sure there is no black/white and grayscale is where each of our truths are to be found and so there are situations where some sentiments, sometimes even bad language, are commonly accepted.
I would not see why such divergent actions would have been ok on the topic of a piece of gear but this does not mean OTOH that one have got to agree on everything that comes from the manufactorer.

---

A lot of posts in here are very black or white and that is what annoys me. It's not either 'hey dude chill the fcuk out man it a stellar project so stfu' or 'man that is total scam be aware and trust me I knew it right from the start'.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:50 am

revtor wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:28 am
Well I’m for one glad to hear that the main interior designer is still going to be doing the actual interior design but there is an interim designer currently doing the mockups. It keeps the project moving forward and lets the main designer clear their schedule for the cottage project in the next few months. It shows that the general contractor is actively solving problems and keeping the project moving forward!
Maybe we should be only talking in that house analogy from now on. I mean at least I'm a fan of video clips where a plumber is hard working for the house owner. ;)
> WTB ADDAC502 <

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:39 pm

Great to hear that some new hires one the PCB front if the original company is too snowed under. Were still moving in the right direction!

Scotlands not too far from me maybe I need to holiday there on the cliffs, sounds nice!!!

cscairney
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cscairney » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:12 pm

I currently live in a porta-potty so the knowledge that some day soon I will live in a house in a beautiful country gives me strength.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”