Critique my "System Concrete" Euro

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

eyeiaye
Wiggling with Experience

Critique my "System Concrete" Euro

Post by eyeiaye » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:15 pm

Ok this is made out of mostly things I have on hand, and want to travel with something that can make sweet system concrete, inspired by my new T-Rex. What am I missing, what should I sub? Right now Im thinking the telharmonic or maths.

If I sub out the Maths, ide add a Function and ALM Tangle Quartet. Not too sure I need a VCA with this considering I have the Intelligel Quadratt in the top left

Dont know what I would sub out for the telharmonic. Perhaps a STO I have and something else?

Ok cool! So the big question, what you think?

eyeiaye
Wiggling with Experience

Post by eyeiaye » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:20 pm

oh and the black phonogene is actually a morphagene lol

eyeiaye
Wiggling with Experience

Post by eyeiaye » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:43 pm

Also playing around with removing the telharmonic and adding my O and C

I could then squeeze in something like a tiptop One.

Last edited by eyeiaye on Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoneCaving
Wiggling with Experience

Post by GoneCaving » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:45 pm

How about the mannequins w/ in the empty space?

eyeiaye
Wiggling with Experience

Post by eyeiaye » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:10 pm

Oh yeah totally thinking of sneaking the w/ between the replicator and the Pressure Points :)

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:31 pm

I would absolutely keep Maths. I often play my shared system as a system concrete because that group of modules sounds really nice together and leads to a lot of interesting workarounds (not being a big enough system on its own to just go get a VCA and a proper oscillator and so on is part of the fun).

I'd probably lose the telharmonic in this system and get a Tempi or other clock source-- more flexibility with the rene and MN modules are great with a lot of available gates.

eyeiaye
Wiggling with Experience

Post by eyeiaye » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:09 pm

Ok, im digging this, but i think having the woggelbug will be great over the tempi. As OC and do some cool clock stuff.

How bout this french 70s digital tape monster

Just need to get the /w

bougie
Common Wiggler

Post by bougie » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:42 pm

Are you planning on sequencing external stuff with the rene? Just curious as there isnt much v/oct aside from clouds. Maybe swap the rene for another PP? would leave 14 hp for a sound source :party:

natureclubcassettes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by natureclubcassettes » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:03 pm

Edit: okay sorry I missed that you already have these on had. I still think the rest of my suggestions are valid

unless you already have all of these, it is totally overkill for your initial build.

Also I would highly reconsider the replicator; the amount of real estate it consumes relative what it does is really ridiculous for this set-up. I have a feeling the novelty of its effect will wear off.

I would also think about your signal flow regarding mono/stereo, if the 70s tape vibe is what you want. if you really want a IRCAM type sound ditch the replicator and get an erbe-verbe and a uClouds or something like that. you also need a bipolar lfo and an attenuvertor or additional VCA of some type. I recommend Dixie II and Triatt.

eyeiaye
Wiggling with Experience

Post by eyeiaye » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:06 pm

omit

eyeiaye
Wiggling with Experience

Post by eyeiaye » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:09 pm

bougie wrote:Are you planning on sequencing external stuff with the rene? Just curious as there isnt much v/oct aside from clouds. Maybe swap the rene for another PP? would leave 14 hp for a sound source :party:
Sadly this is the only case I have that can run the Rene due to it not working with Meanwell PSU's :(

eyeiaye
Wiggling with Experience

Post by eyeiaye » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:15 pm

natureclubcassettes wrote:Edit: okay sorry I missed that you already have these on had. I still think the rest of my suggestions are valid

unless you already have all of these, it is totally overkill for your initial build.

Also I would highly reconsider the replicator; the amount of real estate it consumes relative what it does is really ridiculous for this set-up. I have a feeling the novelty of its effect will wear off.

I would also think about your signal flow regarding mono/stereo, if the 70s tape vibe is what you want. if you really want a IRCAM type sound ditch the replicator and get an erbe-verbe and a uClouds or something like that. you also need a bipolar lfo and an attenuvertor or additional VCA of some type. I recommend Dixie II and Triatt.
Yeah a bipolar LFO is amazing. I was thinking of the uMidi for this. Also the Quadrature LFO mode might get some cool stuff from the OC. Not bipolar though.

Offff the replicator. I have to keep it. It just sounds SOOOOOOO good, even though it is a POWER HOG and SPACE HOG, but the sound is just soooooo good, when not over computer speakers.

eyeiaye
Wiggling with Experience

Post by eyeiaye » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:18 pm

Hummmm, perhaps i can add a 2hp VCA? VS the W?

How nessessary is a VCA with this setup though? am I missing something that the Intellijel Quadratt1U Quad Attenuator, Attenuverter, Mixer and DC Voltage 1U would not be able to do?

Sure, a vca is good, but cant i just animate through the FILTER or directly volume in the Phono or Morpho?

darcmorcel
Common Wiggler

Post by darcmorcel » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:57 am

As Phonogene & Morphagene are already line in friendly, you could easily do without a dedicated tile and add another Quadratt for more attenuverting & mixing.
Also, can't see why you'd want to add a digital delay, when there's already that Replicator monster :hmm:
But yeah a VCA seems hard to avoid in my opinion, should it be for more animation or to simply get a classic synth voice if needed. with 2 hp left, it could be something like this (or with a Meng Qi DPLPG if you dig a more "colored" sound...) :

Ramases
Common Wiggler

Post by Ramases » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:47 am

bougie wrote:Are you planning on sequencing external stuff with the rene? Just curious as there isnt much v/oct aside from clouds.
Slightly OT, but keep in mind that there's no need for Rene (or any other sequencer for that matter) to just sequence pitch - v/oct. They can (repeatably) modulate any CV input which there are plenty of in this system. They're also useful as patch preset devices.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:04 pm

I know you probably have a lot of love for the Replicator, but I would think of replacing that with a 4ms Stereo Triggered Sampler. I just got one and it is VERY cool and can do everything that the replicator can do plus more. A lot mor CV inputs and control possibilities. The ability to play the same file with two completely different playback settings. Record and playback at the same time. It has already replaced a couple of wav players in my rig.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

eyeiaye
Wiggling with Experience

Post by eyeiaye » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Tanks all for your help!!!!!!!!. Im super torn with one thing

Maths and 2hp VCA

VS

Function
ALM Tangle Quartet VCA
W/
and 4 extre hp for other fun stiff like 2x 2hp stuff

Thoughts one over the other?

alanza
Common Wiggler

Post by alanza » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:06 pm

my 2c is you could get much more out of this setup if you forced yourself to live with fewer sound sources/processors in favor of more CV utilities. any one of the sound modules could do a surprisingly large number of things if you found the CVs to feed it.
"I always thought that the DX was potentially a warm instrument... Lots of people felt otherwise." —Dave Bristow

captjrab
Veteran Wiggler

Post by captjrab » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:48 pm

Just some ideas:
The tape delay looks amazing, but such an hp hog. I’d skiff that one. I see the morpha/phonogenes, but how else are you getting found sounds in there? There’s the Field Kit and the Bastl Solenoid that enocourage the use of outside modular sounds that you can bring in and modulate so you can create your own sound sources and modulation sources. Also, Microphonie or Ears or an in/out module for bringing mic/line signals up to modular levels. I like the DLD and of course, Clouds too.

ambits
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ambits » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:25 pm

You might want to consider a 4ms Dual Looping Delay. It's great for transitioning while messing with the morphagene etc.

eyeiaye
Wiggling with Experience

Post by eyeiaye » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:40 pm

Cool, thanks so much for all your help. Ill look into the dual looping delay for sure.

In the meantime I have consolidated. Subbing out Maths, and MMG for the Bastl CV trinity, expander, and Cinnamon filter, and Tangle Quartet. And i can fit in a 2hp Euclid, which is kind of like a very crappy Tempi which folks have been pushing for.

What do you all think of this new setup.

I really want to finalize this weekend.

Eme
Common Wiggler

Post by Eme » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:34 pm

What about a Temps_Utile instead of Wogglebug? You got part of the wogglebug random voltages already covered by O_c, and the T_U can give some extra clock features.

Anyway, that case seems like a lot of fun :banana:

sackley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sackley » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:40 am

That looks like a fun case. I'm not adding much to the discussion, just sharing a recent rack I've compiled for similar ends.

Essentially just took the parts of my shared system I couldn't do without and put them into a smaller case to go with my harvestman system. Added Radio Music and the LP1 for additional sound and tactile input. Waiting for an SD card for the Radio Music - can't wait to load that up with bells, flutes, gongs, field recordings, etc.

Looking forward to hearing what you do with that rack.

ambits
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ambits » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:28 am

I think you have a solid rack here that has endless possibilities.

strangegravity
A Big Knob

Post by strangegravity » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Id throw a Nebulae v2 in there.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”