Strymon is making a Magneto module!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

MATSmile
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MATSmile » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:16 pm

strymon wrote:
Zymos wrote:Any chance the behavior of gates/triggers for feedback on and off can be made to toggle, instead of only when the voltage is high as it is now?

Loving Magneto as it is, but I guy can hope, right 8-)
Definitely possible with future update. :)
That would be great !

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:32 pm

strymon wrote:
Zymos wrote:Any chance the behavior of gates/triggers for feedback on and off can be made to toggle, instead of only when the voltage is high as it is now?

Loving Magneto as it is, but I guy can hope, right 8-)
Definitely possible with future update. :)
Awesome, keeping fingers crossed it can happen. :cloud:

ziggomatic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ziggomatic » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:33 am

This is quickly turning into my all-time favorite module. Truly outstanding job Strymon.

Funkydroid
Common Wiggler

Post by Funkydroid » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:03 pm

What's the price of this thing Eu? Can't really find one around my area(northern side of Eu). I know it's only a question of time but how much should i put aside. Some talks were 540€ around Namm, did it stayed this way? Enjoying the demos here so far, give yourself a :yay: folks.

rishin
Common Wiggler

Post by rishin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:07 pm

How does the sound of the Magneto compare to other popular delay/reverb modules such as the Erbe-Verb or the Rainmaker? Or are they not comparable at all?

raised eyebrows
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Question re: phrase sampler mode

Post by raised eyebrows » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:33 pm

strymon wrote:
raised eyebrows wrote:Hi all, just wondering if anyone here has spent much time with the phrase sampler mode? I just got my Magneto yesterday and along with the good stuff (immediately jumping into making piles of beautiful dense saturated reversed rhythmic feedback noise goodness) I hit a point of confusion, so wanted to check in here to see if I'm screwing anything up.

The ability to sample a pitched sample to 'tape' and then play it chromatically via CV was one of the big selling points of this module to me, and I was thrilled to give it a try, but unfortunately I'm having some trouble. I've recorded in a phrase using splice in 'sample' mode, have the tape speed knob set to 12 o'clock, and have hooked up my cv keyboard (an Arturia keystep) with gate to 'play' and pitch to 'speed'. So far so good, but for some reason I'm only getting 1 octave total of control (i have to go -2 octaves on my keystep, and then I get exactly one octave of C to C.

In this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jOnh5ZI5FA - at 1:30 or so the sample is clearly transposed by a range of multiple octaves. just wondering if this is a Keystep or user error issue, and wanted to see if any of you were having any luck getting a range of more than an octave when using this mode. I've tried this with the speed set to both 'pitch quantize' and unquantized modes and have gotten the same range. The manual states that "By using the SPEED CV input, you can achieve a six octave range, allowing you to go three octaves lower than would be possible using the SPEED/PITCH knob alone without any incoming CV" in the 'Self Oscillation' section, but it's unclear whether that is still true in sampler mode - I'd assumed it would be, but maybe not?

Module is amazing otherwise, just am hoping to figure out how to get this feature to work..
Magneto's SPEED CV input is calibrated for 1V/octave over a range of -3V to +3V and the Arturia Keystep can only send positive voltage. When voltage is supplied to the SPEED CV input, the SPEED/PITCH knob still influences the the resultant speed/pitch, and the incoming CV is added to the knob position. 0V at the SPEED CV input will not cause the speed/pitch to deviate from the knob position value.

This means if the SPEED/PITCH knob is set to 12 o'clock noon for normal speed, it is adding a 2V offset to any incoming CV. The SPEED knob's virtual voltage range is 0-3V. As the Keystep can only send positive voltage, then it can only play back the sample from normal speed (0V from Keystep) to double speed (+1V from Keystep) in this setup. The keyboard would also need to send negative voltage to go down in pitch relative to the SPEED/PITCH knob position. Or, to get a greater range, you can turn the SPEED/PITCH knob all the way down to get a 3 octave range with 0V to +3V from the Keystep.
Thanks so much for this! Really appreciate it, I knew I was missing something obvious. Will test this when I get home. Do CV keyboards/pitch outs typically output negative voltages as well? Figured this might have been some Arturia weirdness...

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:01 pm

Buttons ARE toys wrote:
I'm curious to hear how this thing sounds on some modal/karplus patches since the delay can go down to 200 microseconds.
Its not bad for karplus, but its not the best for this use, i much prefer the DLD for that. The way the DLD handles feedback just works better for karplus plus it can clocked much faster, and stable at extremely high rates. not to say magneto cant get into karplus territory, but i dont see myself using if for that purpose often, its not a strong point of the module imo.
Last edited by brandonlogic on Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

gummyboy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gummyboy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:17 pm

wow!!! mine shipped!!! :yay: :yay: :yay:

bgribble
Common Wiggler

Post by bgribble » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:26 pm

I've had a few hours to fool around with the Magneto, and I can confirm what everybody else is saying: it sounds great and is really fun to wiggle interactively to evolve and create sounds. Build quality is ace, the knobs are really sweet. I don't regret buying it, I'll probably use it in every patch, and I'm not going to get rid of it (though it is fricking huge and is causing me some musical-chairs angst right now).

That said, it's not perfect, and some things about it smell like a first module design....

* Jacks all around the outside means a well-connected Magneto is sort of a pain to get to the knobs. ER-301 put the jackfield on one side, controls and display on the other, and it's easy to get a (left) hand on... might have been a better approach

* WET and DRY (and maybe REC LVL) oughta be together, and it's weird that the SPRING reverb output doesn't count as "WET", instead being a third component of the output.

* Would be nice if the CV input jacks were near the associated knob

* There's some confusion in my mind about the difference between the CLK IN and TAP CV inputs. A repeating signal on the TAP CV input (to sync delay repeats with a sequence rhythm, for example) kinda works but resets the delay time with every new pulse-pair, so the SPEED knob doesn't really do much beyond a momentary pitch glitch and change in the "fidelity" of the "tape". So I guess this is what the CLK IN is for, but why have both?

* There's a whole mode to set custom pan positions for each head in the output, so you can put them anywhere in the stereo field. It's called CENTER. :despair:

* As has been mentioned here, the use cases for the CLK OUTs seem to be pretty theoretical in a real patch. I would love this to be wrong! If anybody comes up with clever uses please mention them in this thread.

wildfrontiers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wildfrontiers » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:19 pm

bgribble wrote: * WET and DRY (and maybe REC LVL) oughta be together, and it's weird that the SPRING reverb output doesn't count as "WET", instead being a third component of the output.
I LOVE that all 3 of those controls are separated. Makes it so much easier/faster to adjust levels on the fly and not have to worry about the wet/dry curve. Otherwise the input signal would have to be multed if you wanted to separate the signals.

REC LVL is great if you want to still have the dry signal playing and have the wet signal decay without capturing the dry signal. Plus driving the REC LVL saturates the delay in such a pleasing way. Nice to have this on board instead of needing to amplify the dry signal another way. Wish we had more CV control over this rather than the REC GATE, but I'll touch more on that in sec.
bgribble wrote: * Would be nice if the CV input jacks were near the associated knob
Definitely agreed on this. Because of the jack placements, it means it works better for me as a top row module.
bgribble wrote: * There's some confusion in my mind about the difference between the CLK IN and TAP CV inputs. A repeating signal on the TAP CV input (to sync delay repeats with a sequence rhythm, for example) kinda works but resets the delay time with every new pulse-pair, so the SPEED knob doesn't really do much beyond a momentary pitch glitch and change in the "fidelity" of the "tape". So I guess this is what the CLK IN is for, but why have both?
The main thing is TAP has other uses in the Looping and Sample modes. It seems like they function the same in Echo mode.
bgribble wrote: * As has been mentioned here, the use cases for the CLK OUTs seem to be pretty theoretical in a real patch. I would love this to be wrong! If anybody comes up with clever uses please mention them in this thread.
My uses have mostly been for self-patching. Best results have been sending a clock to SHIFT while on another head spacing, to REC GATE and to SPRING (for gated reverb). If the latching ability is enabled for feedback on/off, I'd definitely use them that way. I'd definitely would have preferred something like end of repeat gate out, beginning of repeat gate out or something like that.

rishin wrote:How does the sound of the Magneto compare to other popular delay/reverb modules such as the Erbe-Verb or the Rainmaker? Or are they not comparable at all?
Don't find them too comparable. Someone could have all three and not find them overlapping in terms of sound.

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:22 pm

I had a lot of fun tonight using the Cirklon to do transport tricks on an 808 beat with gates.
Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com

evileye0702
Ultra Wiggler

Post by evileye0702 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:12 am

After patiently waiting while I reconfigured the studio for a new audio interface, I finally got time to experiment with the Magneto last night. WOW! It certainly delivered what I was hoping for and I had a lot of fun just doing some relatively simple tweaks.

I'm thrilled it has separate knobs for dry, rec lvl and wet.

The Low Cut, Tape Age, Crinkle, Wow & Flutter and Spring are all nice subtle effects that can really make a difference to the overall feel. My only complaint so far is that 4 of those have no CV control.

The Magneto would never make my Rainmaker obsolete. The two are way different with the Rainmaker having more depth but the Magneto more immediate. I'm not even sure why one would try to compare it to the Erbe-Verb they are definitely different. What Magneto MIGHT make me sell is my Echophon but only because I don't think I want space dedicated to Rainmaker, Magneto AND Echophon.

BTW, the module looks gorgeous and is built like a tank.

desolationjones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by desolationjones » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:52 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Bobby wrote:
CaneMan wrote:Has anyone found a video that shows off the Send and Return jacks yet? It seems a bit odd that they don't seem to be stereo as well.
also curious with regards to this. On a kinda similar note the pan switch is interesting. (Edit: hope you can use all four heads in mono mode (left input only)
According to the controls popovers, “Delay repeats generated by Magneto are sent out to be processed by other devices” and “Processed delay repeats are returned back to be mixed in with the dry input signal”.

My expectation would therefore be that send/return occurs pre-panning, but I don’t see how that would be possible without four separate send/returns.
Can someone comment on the SEND / RETURN jack functions? I'm guessing that the mono SEND is mixed down from stereo post-pan (as shown in block diagram) so we'll need to watch out for phasing issues. And then is the mono RETURN signal mixed in with both left and right channel feedback mixes?

SynthEnergy
Common Wiggler

Post by SynthEnergy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:50 am

desolationjones wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:
Bobby wrote:
CaneMan wrote:Has anyone found a video that shows off the Send and Return jacks yet? It seems a bit odd that they don't seem to be stereo as well.
also curious with regards to this. On a kinda similar note the pan switch is interesting. (Edit: hope you can use all four heads in mono mode (left input only)
According to the controls popovers, “Delay repeats generated by Magneto are sent out to be processed by other devices” and “Processed delay repeats are returned back to be mixed in with the dry input signal”.

My expectation would therefore be that send/return occurs pre-panning, but I don’t see how that would be possible without four separate send/returns.
Can someone comment on the SEND / RETURN jack functions? I'm guessing that the mono SEND is mixed down from stereo post-pan (as shown in block diagram) so we'll need to watch out for phasing issues. And then is the mono RETURN signal mixed in with both left and right channel feedback mixes?
Ahh yes, the send and return jacks. A friend of mine and I are scratching our head on this functionality. When we use them as intended the quality of the sound appears to be sub par. As a troubleshooting step, I listened to the send signal by itself (Sounds good), then fed it back in to lukewarm result.

As another test I sent a DPO directly into the return to see if the return signal has problems: Nope! Sounds good. I suspect phasing issues or user error here.

Regardless, I'm not getting a lot of good results using the send/return jack as it was intended to be used:
- Send: Output mono taps for external processing
- Return: Return processed taps to Magneto as a mono signal

Would love more to chime in on this.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:34 pm

Having similar issues with the return signal into the Magneto. The send output sounds ok. The processed send out of filters sounds fine, but the signal into the return sounds like there's a problem. So far, this feature is unusable. I usually assume user error for issues when I first get a module, but I haven't been able to figure out a fix.

desolationjones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by desolationjones » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:50 pm

Won't have my Magneto for a few days, but does someone want to experiment with the different pan options and SEND / RETURN? The psychoacoustic (presumedly Haas effect) stereo widening of CENTER should cause noticeable phasing, but I wonder how the mono mix sounds in the hard-panned LRLR mode?

Or someone from Strymon could comment...

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:06 pm

desolationjones wrote:Won't have my Magneto for a few days, but does someone want to experiment with the different pan options and SEND / RETURN? The psychoacoustic (presumedly Haas effect) stereo widening of CENTER should cause noticeable phasing, but I wonder how the mono mix sounds in the hard-panned LRLR mode?

Or someone from Strymon could comment...
I tried toggling the pan modes and that didn't appear to help. The LRLR and LRRL collapse down to mono on the send output, as mentioned in the manual.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:27 pm

Spent some time with the Magneto today and shot some videos. It sounds wonderful. What I have noticed is the range on the delay time is pretty limited for my liking. Particularly the lower speeds. I like MUCH slower. I could achieve it with external clock. But I couldn't use it as a master clock for a patch, which is a bummer. I also really don't have any use for the clock outs. I really wish I could get the individual heads out, or modulate the level of each head. It's been mentioned before I know. Have yet to dive into the looping mode, I suspect it will shine here. Still on the fence as to wether I should have gotten the Magneto or settled for El Cap. But we'll see what happens!

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:51 pm

My friend just showed me this vid he made. It's got a bug, but Strymon's fixing it. To be fair, he's really throwing some pretty crazy pulse sequences at it. It seems like a pretty awesome unit.

[video][/video][/video]

Antlerface
Common Wiggler

Post by Antlerface » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:30 pm

The Grump wrote:My friend just showed me this vid he made. It's got a bug, but Strymon's fixing it. To be fair, he's really throwing some pretty crazy pulse sequences at it. It seems like a pretty awesome unit.

[video][/video]
doomlove.

My Eurorack

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:57 am

Sinamsis wrote:Spent some time with the Magneto today and shot some videos. It sounds wonderful. What I have noticed is the range on the delay time is pretty limited for my liking. Particularly the lower speeds. I like MUCH slower. I could achieve it with external clock. But I couldn't use it as a master clock for a patch, which is a bummer. I also really don't have any use for the clock outs. I really wish I could get the individual heads out, or modulate the level of each head. It's been mentioned before I know. Have yet to dive into the looping mode, I suspect it will shine here. Still on the fence as to wether I should have gotten the Magneto or settled for El Cap. But we'll see what happens!
Magneto seems definitely more powerful than the El Cap and way more flexible as well. Yet so far I haven't felt the urge to switch (the fact that I have no space in my case plays a role too). There are quite a few things you can do with this that the El Cap won't do, but it has so much mojo and is so always on in whatever I do that I'd be hesitant to ditch it. Plus the expression pedal input works great with CV !

batch
Collector of fine modules

Post by batch » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:28 am

I’ve had mine for a week or so. I would agree with others that it sounds beautiful. The new new cliche should be Rings -> Magneto.

As others said, clock outs seem superfluous, but maybe will figure something out with them. The tape effects would be nice to modulate, as would the head levels. Perhaps they can do an expanded unit? Very well built module too. One of the heaviest I have.

But as is, I am very satisfied as it simply sounds fantastic.
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:05 am

Sinamsis wrote:What I have noticed is the range on the delay time is pretty limited for my liking. Particularly the lower speeds. I like MUCH slower. I could achieve it with external clock. But I couldn't use it as a master clock for a patch, which is a bummer.
This is surprising, can you elaborate? Even in Loop mode? The description on their website says at top speed its still 15 seconds, and up to 2 minutes long at minimum speed which seems incredibly long.

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:09 am

damase wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:What I have noticed is the range on the delay time is pretty limited for my liking. Particularly the lower speeds. I like MUCH slower. I could achieve it with external clock. But I couldn't use it as a master clock for a patch, which is a bummer.
This is surprising, can you elaborate? Even in Loop mode? The description on their website says at top speed its still 15 seconds, and up to 2 minutes long at minimum speed which seems incredibly long.
Yea, i don't understand what you mean either. I'm able to tap very slow clocks with no problem.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:04 pm

insoul8 wrote:
damase wrote:
Yea, i don't understand what you mean either. I'm able to tap very slow clocks with no problem.
He's talking about the range of the knob itself, how it relates to delay time, not the taps. like say you have the knob set to noon and tap in a 1 second delay. it feels like there should be more range in delay time when that knob is then turned all the way up, and should be able to get much slower when turned the other way. i mentioned it in my post back a page or two as well.
it makes sense that the knob would have somewhat limited control, because thats how most tape delays are, but it seems a little too limited, would be nice it it had just a little more range.
Last edited by brandonlogic on Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”