Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Post by wavejockey » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:13 am

escargot wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:30 pm
Can you currently set it up so when an individual output is pluggled, it takes it away from the main outs? If not how do you currently remove it from main outs, in PAN/MIX page, is it the L/R setting? off/on/auto? it doesn't seem to remove it when put to off. thanks
just turn output volume of the respective ch all the way down (in pan/mix)

escargot
Learning to Wiggle

Post by escargot » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:08 am

wavejockey wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:13 am
escargot wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:30 pm
Can you currently set it up so when an individual output is pluggled, it takes it away from the main outs? If not how do you currently remove it from main outs, in PAN/MIX page, is it the L/R setting? off/on/auto? it doesn't seem to remove it when put to off. thanks
just turn output volume of the respective ch all the way down (in pan/mix)
thanks that works. and what is the L/R setting then i can't see it in manual or updates notes.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:38 am

just pan in main out - the on/off/auto is if you want to hear what you're sampling -monitoring (always, when sampling, off)

escargot
Learning to Wiggle

Post by escargot » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:31 am

wavejockey wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:38 am
just pan in main out - the on/off/auto is if you want to hear what you're sampling -monitoring (always, when sampling, off)
oh yes sorry didn't realise it was the R of monitor L/R. by the way do you know if we could monitor out of specific individual outs instead of mains? thanks heaps sir

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:07 am

just put a cable in the respective out jack?

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:45 am

I think the intent is creating submixes to monitor through other, assigned outputs. Not possible to my knowledge.

Sam Botstein
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sam Botstein » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:39 am

grey_costume wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:01 am
Apologize if this has been addressed on this thread already or belongs on a different thread, but wanted to list a few bugs that I have been running into and see if anyone was having the same issues.

- channels in latch mode randomly unlatching and not being able to stay re-latched, (fixing requires power cycling module). when this happens it will often only be a single channel, other channels will latch and stay latch totally fine.
- CV inputs being selectively responsive (randomly) when multiple channels are using CV, samples playing backwards (while not being set to do so)
- when module is using multiple channels and multiple CV's, entering "sample start and sample end" frequently freezes module, (fixing requires power cycling module).

Any input, or direction to threads that address any of these issues would be greatly appreciated!
We strongly recommend that all Assimil8or owners install software version 2.03_200318 which includes bug fixes. It is available to download here http://www.rossum-electro.com/products/assimil8or/

Please reach out to us with any issues or potential bugs via the Request Support form. http://www.rossum-electro.com/support/s ... uest-form/

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:33 am

Anybody??
glennfin wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:32 am
Just a few quick questions for users...

Can you reverse playback on the fly with an external trigger?. Can you overdub on a track while it's playing in reverse?
I'm looking for more looping functions in a euro module and just not finding it...

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:10 pm

glennfin wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:33 am
Anybody??
glennfin wrote:

Can you reverse playback on the fly with an external trigger?. Can you overdub on a track while it's playing in reverse?
I'm looking for more looping functions in a euro module and just not finding it...
http://www.orthogonaldevices.com

you probably want the Er301. it'll do all that stuff and record it all in the background etc etc..

mvdirty
Common Wiggler

Post by mvdirty » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:31 pm

ignatius wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:10 pm
you probably want the Er301. it'll do all that stuff and record it all in the background etc etc..
It’ll also have far less I/O, not be fully DC-coupled, have no current user manual, have much poorer latency (5x-10x) etc etc..

I figure the 301 is a bit like Maths: An outstanding achievement whose justifiably-ardent fans somewhat too often think is the answer to every question.

Zerius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zerius » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:55 am

mvdirty wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:31 pm
ignatius wrote:
It’ll also have far less I/O, not be fully DC-coupled, have no current user manual, have much poorer latency (5x-10x) etc etc..

I figure the 301 is a bit like Maths: An outstanding achievement whose justifiably-ardent fans somewhat too often think is the answer to every question.
In the other side you can do way more stuff that Assimil8or can’t, massive mixing possibilities, create your own modular system in the box, bunch of available effects, you can literally design your own modules and many more options. I don’t think you can even compare both modules since they are way too different on the concept base.
I preferred Assimil8or sounds in the end, the quality is better imo even if it more “limited’’ compared to an 301 for example.

I don’t think it’s a trendy module, it is worth the money you spend on it and can literally replace a fully system on its own. There is also great community with very active users sharing their skills and presets so you can’t really go wrong with it. I think it is worth trying it if you can grab one.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:46 am

In the end I got rid of my 301 because it felt too much like home work haha. The Assimil8or is much more immediate and is plenty fun.

natrixgli
Learning to Wiggle

Post by natrixgli » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:05 am

Zerius wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:55 am
In the other side you can do way more stuff that Assimil8or can’t, massive mixing possibilities, create your own modular system in the box, bunch of available effects, you can literally design your own modules and many more options.
This is the problem I have with the ER-301, it's an everything module like Disting, O_C (Hemispheres), Zoia, etc. Ass8 is a sampler and every button/knob/menu exists for that purpose. Once you quickly learn it's conventions it's wicked fast and intuitive to use, and you don't spend a lot of time setting things up or thumbing through the manual. It has a clearly defined purpose which avoids the problem of being paralyzed by choice that tends to happen with multi-function gear.

I had someone offer me an ER-301 in a trade and agonized over it for a while because it is definitely super cool, but decided it was just way too much prep to get any use out of it, plus the OS/documentation looked a bit beta. That's right before I bought Assimil8or which is exactly the opposite. It feels like a well made, properly documented 2.0 product.

My *only* beef with Ass8 is the limitation of 8 slices. But you have 8 channels with 8 zones each so you can work around this.

Zerius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zerius » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:19 pm

I kept it as well because I felt more creative with limitation. And fortunately the Ass8or still get some updates every years by now, so I hope we will get more major updates in the future.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:26 pm

mvdirty wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:31 pm
ignatius wrote:

you asked about a looper.. not all the other things you mention. i don' town a 301. got a really great walk through/demo from someone locally and it does just so much.. it's really incredible.. that being said it wasn't the sampler for me.

if you want a looper just buy a looper pedal or rack mount looper and integrate it with your modular. there are several modules for routing to/from the modular and level matching etc. it may be the easier solution to sort out rather than insisting that everything be done inside the modular case.

good luck on your search. i hope you find what you're looking for.

edit: the other option may be to build your own firmware version for something like Nebulae or perhaps that OWL module that runs max/pd or whatever. i don't think there's a module that exists that will do what you want the way you want it so you may have to resort to other means of making it happen.

mvdirty
Common Wiggler

Post by mvdirty » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:11 pm

ignatius wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:26 pm
you asked about a looper..not all the other things you mention.
I believe you’ve replied to the wrong person.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:07 pm

mvdirty wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:11 pm
ignatius wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:26 pm
you asked about a looper..not all the other things you mention.
I believe you’ve replied to the wrong person.
it happens.

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:33 am

glennfin wrote:
Anybody??
glennfin wrote:

So no one is able to answer my questions?. Again, can you reverse playback on the fly?.
Can you overdub on a track while it's playing in reverse?.

I had an ER301... sold it. Too much work, programming, etc, as mentioned above.
It's amazing that several euro modules claim to do "looping" but can't even provide these basic functions.
Might just have to shoehorn in a rack looper as suggested.

TheNthMan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TheNthMan » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:20 am

glennfin wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:33 am
glennfin wrote:
Anybody??
glennfin wrote:

So no one is able to answer my questions?. Again, can you reverse playback on the fly?.
Can you overdub on a track while it's playing in reverse?.

I had an ER301... sold it. Too much work, programming, etc, as mentioned above.
It's amazing that several euro modules claim to do "looping" but can't even provide these basic functions.
Might just have to shoehorn in a rack looper as suggested.
Regarding the reverse playback, in the manual, in the morph section on page 46, it documents:
Reverse
Turning Reverse on, as you might expect, causes the selected channel to play in reverse.
The following points always have smoothing applied:
Realtime zone switching
Reversing while a sample is playing
The CV inputs are:
Control Voltage Inputs
Assimil8or provides 24 CV inputs that can be arbitrarily assigned to any parameters on any channels.
As for the overdubbing, in the sampling session on page 19 it says:
One of Assimil8or’s key characteristics is that the module is otherwise functional during the sampling process, so you can not only resample whatever it’s playing, you can trigger channels or modify what it’s playing (by changing parameters) while it’s sampling.
Is that what you are looking for?

pekbro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pekbro » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:42 am

You can overdub I believe, probably you can do it while it's playing in reverse. Doesn't look like you
can trigger reverse play though, wont allow me to assign a cv input, just on or off.

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:19 pm

Ok guys... thanks for the info.

escargot
Learning to Wiggle

Post by escargot » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:18 am

Still haven’t gone through the whole manual, but I need to sample a module before selling it. Is Ass8 a good option to just record a long pass of sounds to later chop and save individual one shots? I know the sound will be great but is the workflow fast and easy for that purpose or should I look at doing this in my other sampler or daw?

Corrupt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Corrupt » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:28 am

Do it in Audacity.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:07 am

i would sample in the sampler (Assimil8tor) cause the Q is so good (esp at 92khz, you can always downsample later) & because the signal flow is short

there's a procedure to quickly add the passes you need

if you set the threshold low enough, you can automate the start sampling, push the sample button to stop & repeat

all the post processing you can do later in audacity or wavelab

Zerius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zerius » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:58 pm

I would do same as Wavejockey in your case, you can also send a trigger to start and stop recording in time as you need so you can easily make one shots in the assimil8or.
All you need is a sequencer.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”