Rossum Electro-Music Assimil8or

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

jollyjack
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jollyjack » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:26 am

Does anyone have or know where to find sampled envelope shapes to use as modulation sources with the Assimil8or? I want to try using it as a complex envelope generator with the new random/cycling zone function.

P.S. Respect to the Rossum team for listening to customers and continuing to improve your existing modules. It's been a long wait for this update but I'm thankful that you're delivering on your promises and not just moving on to the next big thing. :yay:

Ivo Ivanov
Sausage Wiggler

Post by Ivo Ivanov » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:55 am

jollyjack wrote:Does anyone have or know where to find sampled envelope shapes to use as modulation sources with the Assimil8or? I want to try using it as a complex envelope generator with the new random/cycling zone function.
Disclaimer: I may be misunderstanding how this works...

...but if not, have a look at this: https://www.galbanum.com/products/archi ... eforms2010

jollyjack
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jollyjack » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:09 pm

For envelope purposes they would have to be sub audio rate, positive voltage only samples. I had a quick look through their reference manual but found nothing of the sort unfortunately. Thanks anyway though.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:08 pm

jollyjack wrote:Does anyone have or know where to find sampled envelope shapes to use as modulation sources with the Assimil8or? I want to try using it as a complex envelope generator with the new random/cycling zone function.
Why not use Control Forge?

quaidscape
Common Wiggler

Post by quaidscape » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:17 pm

Glitchmachines wrote:
Disclaimer: I may be misunderstanding how this works...

...but if not, have a look at this: https://www.galbanum.com/products/archi ... eforms2010
what an excellent idea.

so I suppose you could sample cv onto one channel and then pretty much run the solo out from that channel into the cv in on another channel to store your lfo's and envelopes on the module itself? hmmmmm

Eurtrude
Common Wiggler

Post by Eurtrude » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:23 pm

Why not try to sample CV sources and create your own waveforms ? :)

Try to sample a wavetable oscillator at LFO rate for example (or a Zadar haha), or if you have no wt osc, just a basic osc in lfo mode with some FM. Try different waveforms for carrier / modulator...
You can also try to record the output of a CV generator (like triatt) when tweaked by hands... and then pitch up the record for more snap / speed.

Sanys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sanys » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:31 pm

Eurtrude wrote:
Why not try to sample CV sources and create your own waveforms ? :)

Try to sample a wavetable oscillator at LFO rate for example (or a Zadar haha), or if you have no wt osc, just a basic osc in lfo mode with some FM. Try different waveforms for carrier / modulator...
You can also try to record the output of a CV generator (like triatt) when tweaked by hands... and then pitch up the record for more snap / speed.
probably his question is if someone did this before to avoid all that manipulation which one can find boring and time consuming. btw factory presets store some of LFO's, i tried a few and didn't find them quite useful or convenient to use. your experience might differ though

jollyjack
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jollyjack » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:44 pm

dubonaire wrote:Why not use Control Forge?
I don't own the Control Forge. And I would prefer having the modulation sources within the module itself if possible. Much easier to save presets that way.
quaidscape wrote:so I suppose you could sample cv onto one channel and then pretty much run the solo out from that channel into the cv in on another channel to store your lfo's and envelopes on the module itself?
Yes, that's what I was thinking. :nod:
Eurtrude wrote:Why not try to sample CV sources and create your own waveforms ?
I could do that, but it would require a lot of time and effort, which is why I was wondering if there was already a "pack" of sampled CV sources to try out haha. Samples of the Zadar would be nice. :hihi:

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:11 pm

Marco Alpert wrote:You beat me to it (you must have been checking pretty often).

Enjoy.
It was just blind luck actually....
I don’t post here often but when I do come up to periscope depth I read and absorb a lot then dive deep again :guinness:

I updated to v2.0 software today without a problem.

Thanks again.
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

ratskull
Common Wiggler

Post by ratskull » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:44 am

Marco Alpert wrote:You beat me to it (you must have been checking pretty often).

Enjoy.

Thank you Marco and everyone on the Rossum team for all of your hard work on this update. Looking forward to trying out the new features. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all. :party:

Cheers!

thisoldhouse
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldhouse » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:44 am

anyone having weird stuff happen sometimes when chopping?

today i took a sample - L input only, set to channel 1 which was empty

after sampling and adjusting start and end points i renamed it from 'S003' to 'beat'

then i pressed chop (8) set to 'maj' and here's what happened...

it's only playing on left channel because it linked ch 1 to channel 2 and changed channel 2 to st/R

it renamed sample and all chops to S003

if i try renaming S003 nothing happens after going though rename process

neither S003 or 'beat' appear in the current folder

when i save to current folder S003 is not written to folder but yellow unsaved changes indicator does go away

when i turn off and back on, folder automatically loads itself but 'S003' cannot be found

this happened yesterday. i don't remember how i got back on track - but was able to chop stuff without it doing weird things, but before that i was having the same problem where my chops were not getting saved and i kept losing them after power down - now i see that sometimes when renaming and then chopping, the sample somehow is gone from the folder - and saving current work doesn't save it back either

am i missing something obvious?

thisoldhouse
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldhouse » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:20 am

now i've just taken a new stereo sample, naming convention S001 - set to assign to channel 3, after sampling it set itself to ch3 and 4 fine, all good and well.

but when i try to rename the sample it says 'file not found'. so i cannot actually save or rename the sample. i can only play it while the machine is on.

i also tried sampling with naming convention set to Pnm001 to see if that would make a difference i just got the same result.

i'm pretty new to the assimil8tor, only getting one about a week ago but i didn't have any issue like this before updating. i'm also using the card supplied with my brand new assimil8tor.

hope i'm just overlooking something...

Marco Alpert
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Marco Alpert » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:39 pm

thisoldhouse wrote:anyone having weird stuff happen sometimes when chopping?

today i took a sample - L input only, set to channel 1 which was empty

after sampling and adjusting start and end points i renamed it from 'S003' to 'beat'

then i pressed chop (8) set to 'maj' and here's what happened...

it's only playing on left channel because it linked ch 1 to channel 2 and changed channel 2 to st/R

it renamed sample and all chops to S003

if i try renaming S003 nothing happens after going though rename process

neither S003 or 'beat' appear in the current folder

when i save to current folder S003 is not written to folder but yellow unsaved changes indicator does go away

when i turn off and back on, folder automatically loads itself but 'S003' cannot be found

this happened yesterday. i don't remember how i got back on track - but was able to chop stuff without it doing weird things, but before that i was having the same problem where my chops were not getting saved and i kept losing them after power down - now i see that sometimes when renaming and then chopping, the sample somehow is gone from the folder - and saving current work doesn't save it back either

am i missing something obvious?
Sorry you're having a problem. I can't tell for sure, but it sounds like renames and/or saves might not be getting completed. When you save after a name change or save a preset, are you sure you're holding the Data 1 encoder or the Load button until the "Save Completed" message appears?
Marketing Guy at Rossum Electro-Music

thisoldhouse
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldhouse » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:56 pm

thanks for the reply Marco. yes i do hold it down for the full duration when saving. in these weird instances it has said 'sample not found' when saving a sample i just recorded

but again this doesn't always happen. i have had success turning on the assimil8or, taking samples, saving, renaming etc.

i'm trying to pay close attention to what i've been doing when this weird seeming behavior happens.

if theres a better place for me to send this information as i get it let me know.

thanks again for your help!

Marco Alpert
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Marco Alpert » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:10 pm

thisoldhouse wrote:thanks for the reply Marco. yes i do hold it down for the full duration when saving. in these weird instances it has said 'sample not found' when saving a sample i just recorded

but again this doesn't always happen. i have had success turning on the assimil8or, taking samples, saving, renaming etc.

i'm trying to pay close attention to what i've been doing when this weird seeming behavior happens.

if theres a better place for me to send this information as i get it let me know.

thanks again for your help!
Okay, then it must be something else. The best way to proceed is make contact through the "Request Support" form on our web site and we'll go from there:

http://www.rossum-electro.com/support/s ... uest-form/

Sam Botstein
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sam Botstein » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:10 pm

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSIPzzL2mWg[/video]

The new Explode channel operation and Random and Advance zone selection types in the v2.00 software update are featured in this video.

acretelaf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by acretelaf » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:39 pm

jollyjack wrote:
dubonaire wrote:Why not use Control Forge?
I don't own the Control Forge. And I would prefer having the modulation sources within the module itself if possible. Much easier to save presets that way.
quaidscape wrote:so I suppose you could sample cv onto one channel and then pretty much run the solo out from that channel into the cv in on another channel to store your lfo's and envelopes on the module itself?
Yes, that's what I was thinking. :nod:
Eurtrude wrote:Why not try to sample CV sources and create your own waveforms ?
I could do that, but it would require a lot of time and effort, which is why I was wondering if there was already a "pack" of sampled CV sources to try out haha. Samples of the Zadar would be nice. :hihi:

Using sampled CV on A8 for modulation seems great, but isn't it "dangerous" to send CV in the audio signal chain ? I guess you have to be carefull not to let CV channels in the mix output?

Thank you Rossum Crew for this big update, the videos are also helping in taming this (now even more) amazing module !

quaidscape
Common Wiggler

Post by quaidscape » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:08 pm

For those of you using the assimil8or as a drum machine, what are your techniques for achieving velocity sensitivity?

:zombie:

Gohan2A
Common Wiggler

Post by Gohan2A » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:11 pm

i use cv (5v but better with 10v or +5/-5) to linear AM (+1.00) an same cv to exponential AM (+1.00)
i put level at -13 db

acretelaf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by acretelaf » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:29 pm

acretelaf wrote: isn't it "dangerous" to send CV in the audio signal chain ? I guess you have to be carefull not to let CV channels in the mix output?
I was refering to the Ableton CV toolkit (https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... hnical-FAQ):

Best Practices & Safety
Never send CV directly to your speakers. (Direct voltage can cause damage to your speakers/hearing).

What kind of CV can be problematic it it goes through the audio signal chain? I guess an LFO can't be bad since it's just a below hearing level VCO, no?

Mend
Common Wiggler

Post by Mend » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:36 pm

Any idea why, after exploding a sample into 8 zones, it repeats the first zone twice and then moves on to the rest? I checked my sequencer and I'm positive it's sending out the right voltages corresponding to all 8 zones. And none of the steps is repeating the voltage for the first zone.

It's easier explaining it with a video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bPJnYn ... sp=sharing

It's probably something simple I've missed, but I'd like to hear your opinion.

thisoldhouse
Common Wiggler

Post by thisoldhouse » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:53 pm

quaidscape wrote:For those of you using the assimil8or as a drum machine, what are your techniques for achieving velocity sensitivity?

:zombie:
I just like to use zones. Maybe 2 sounds (an open hihat and close hi hat) each taking up 4 zones with level offsets to determine their loudness

Or 4 different sounds on one channel each with 2 zones of level offsets.

Can divided it up however. But usually 2 or 3 levels of amplitude is enough to be very effective for dynamics. Or you can go all out with 8 zones of different volumes if needed.

Marco Alpert
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Marco Alpert » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:06 pm

Mend wrote:Any idea why, after exploding a sample into 8 zones, it repeats the first zone twice and then moves on to the rest? I checked my sequencer and I'm positive it's sending out the right voltages corresponding to all 8 zones. And none of the steps is repeating the voltage for the first zone.

It's easier explaining it with a video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bPJnYn ... sp=sharing

Just watching the video of the Assimil8or screen, it looks like Zone 8 is never selected. The sequence seems to be:

I don't know exactly what's happening with your sequencer, but I'd poke around that.

Mend
Common Wiggler

Post by Mend » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:16 pm

Marco Alpert wrote:
Mend wrote:Any idea why, after exploding a sample into 8 zones, it repeats the first zone twice and then moves on to the rest? I checked my sequencer and I'm positive it's sending out the right voltages corresponding to all 8 zones. And none of the steps is repeating the voltage for the first zone.

Just watching the video of the Assimil8or screen, it looks like Zone 8 is never selected. The sequence seems to be:

I don't know exactly what's happening with your sequencer, but I'd poke around that.
Thanks. Yeah you're righ about it not being selected. I'll have a look. If all else fails perhaps I'll post here later or contact your support. But it might be the 101 doing something odd.

D_Robot
Common Wiggler

Post by D_Robot » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:17 pm

acretelaf wrote:
acretelaf wrote: isn't it "dangerous" to send CV in the audio signal chain ? I guess you have to be carefull not to let CV channels in the mix output?
I was refering to the Ableton CV toolkit (https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... hnical-FAQ):

Best Practices & Safety
Never send CV directly to your speakers. (Direct voltage can cause damage to your speakers/hearing).

What kind of CV can be problematic it it goes through the audio signal chain? I guess an LFO can't be bad since it's just a below hearing level VCO, no?
The top few posts from this forum search are worth reading as they explain a little bit about the risks of DC offset in your signal chain, primarily when interfacing with equipment outside of the modular.

Basically if you have an audio interface that allows dc coupling you could inadvertently send a signal with dc offset to your speakers and potentially fry them. Most audio interfaces (but not all) are AC coupled and so block DC offset avoiding the issue.

ersatzplanet's post half way down this thread explains it.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”