New Module: Rabid Elephant NATURAL GATE

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Sun May 13, 2018 12:44 pm

So this is not unlike the (discontinued) Positronic Transient Gate?

rew_
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rew_ » Sun May 13, 2018 1:06 pm

huffnPuff wrote:So this is not unlike the (discontinued) Positronic Transient Gate?
might be some similarities in the way the envelopes are generated but the PTG didn't have any filtering capabilities. it wasn't a LPG so much as a way to vactrol-ize any cv signal

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Sun May 13, 2018 1:32 pm

I see. Thanks.

naturarerum
Common Wiggler

Post by naturarerum » Wed May 16, 2018 3:19 pm

NG came in the mail today. well, this afternoon went by really fast... I recorded part of my first proper jam with NG:

[video][/video]

HBCoffin
Common Wiggler

Post by HBCoffin » Thu May 17, 2018 11:55 am

Here's an excerpt from a self-generative patch I set up a few weeks ago with focus on utilizing my Natural Gates. All sounds being passed through are coming from the Furthrrrr Generator, STO, and tELHARMONIC. Apart from that, there's an occasional hit coming from an off-screen BIA during the quieter segments.

[video][/video]

Trooper
Common Wiggler

Post by Trooper » Thu May 17, 2018 12:16 pm

both very nice examples :tu:

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Sat May 26, 2018 1:04 pm

Dunno if anyone was notified of this "remaining units" as advised by OP on the 5th may? I wasn't - again....

Anyway no more natural gates for 6 months and I am over it....all I've tried to do is buy a module and it's been a draining experience....actually really annoying......

I played with my mates and it's good but no way worth this Hassle
look up!

sleepmute
Common Wiggler

Post by sleepmute » Sat May 26, 2018 2:00 pm

I bought an LxD for a quarter of the price, and it scratched the itch :tu:

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Sat May 26, 2018 2:01 pm

Dogma wrote:Dunno if anyone was notified of this "remaining units" as advised by OP on the 5th may? I wasn't - again....

Anyway no more natural gates for 6 months and I am over it....all I've tried to do is buy a module and it's been a draining experience....actually really annoying......

I played with my mates and it's good but no way worth this Hassle
Rabid elephant is the new Cwejman :hihi:

Same here. Saved money for NG. Still unavailable. I'm done. Maybe in second hand market...some day!
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Mon May 28, 2018 10:30 am

HeyLo all!

I haven't posted much in a bit so here's where we're at:

It's very likely we are going to move contract manufacturers (CM) to improve yields and allow me to trust more of the process to highly competent individuals. This will allow me to make more units and still feel good about having so many units out in the world. It will hopefully also free up time for me to design and make music. These new CMs are operating at 'another level' in terms of quality - at this point, I'm only interested in those that deal with aerospace, medical, and other life-critical assemblies and have 6 sigma folks on staff. I'll be on travel visiting them to inspect the facility and meet the people. So this is my effort to get to a point where I can make more units that I would have been able to currently and still feel nice and good inside (actually, this is already making me feel really nice - no worries, no stress!). I should be able to keep the pricing close enough even though 'you get what you pay for' really holds true here :) Regardless, I will not sacrifice the level of quality if I'm to make lots of units.

So this, in addition to my international move and home sale, are going to add some delays. This is why I'm telling folks about 6 mo. Normally turn-around wouldn't be quite so long for finished designs.

I have some time again and have been working on the new Kick module and starting to set up the tiers on the Patreon page. I should have some sound demos of the kick posted there in the next few weeks.

And because this is all supposed to be about music, our personal rig - a 2 year effort to build - is nearly complete so I'm very excited to start making music again. This is where all module concepts and designs come from. We're eager to start testing our version of envelope generation and modulation.

Speaking of which! Let's hear some more from y'all! I enjoy listening to what y'all are doing with these widgets!

0netwo0netwo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Mon May 28, 2018 5:00 pm

:party: thanks for the updates!

good luck with everything

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Mon May 28, 2018 5:46 pm

"...at this point, I'm only interested in those that deal with aerospace, medical, and other life-critical assemblies and have 6 sigma folks on staff."

You're hardcore, and serious about the quality of your product--I can appreciate that. The thing is--there's already great solutions for eurorack contract manufacturers. WMD produces great quality modules--at pricing that makes sense for this business. There are other CM's that produce high quality modules--and they know the business. Just something to consider that might be less stressful, and meet your product quality goals.

guestt

Post by guestt » Mon May 28, 2018 5:52 pm

0netwo0netwo wrote::party: thanks for the updates!

good luck with everything
From me too :tu: :tu: :tu:

If you don't mind sharing I am really keen to see (and hear of course) your rig when you finally finish it - bet it's quite something!

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed May 30, 2018 10:59 pm

This mostly comes down to Hertz Donut and Natural Gate.

HD's secondary VCO was tracking the primary through a Doepfer A-196 PLL. Sequencing was E370 as LFO -> sampled in Wogglebug -> quantized and time-shifted in Marbles, with Marbles providing the rhythmic pattern.

Additional parts were Manis Iteritas through Pico DSP and a lot of post-processing that created the sort of string tremolo and spooky bits.

https://soundcloud.com/starthief/crow-eyes

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:43 am

Great to hear from you hear PM33AUD. Very much looking forward to seeing where this goes and what your personal rig is, new modules and development of getting more of these out there.

All the best!
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:14 am

Hovercraft wrote:"...at this point, I'm only interested in those that deal with aerospace, medical, and other life-critical assemblies and have 6 sigma folks on staff."

You're hardcore, and serious about the quality of your product--I can appreciate that. The thing is--there's already great solutions for eurorack contract manufacturers. WMD produces great quality modules--at pricing that makes sense for this business. There are other CM's that produce high quality modules--and they know the business. Just something to consider that might be less stressful, and meet your product quality goals.
Thanks for the advice - they do produce quality stuffs and are a great solution for many designers; and it's true there is no way the CMs I'm seeking out can compete with their prices. Once design, prototyping, and testing are completed, it's in my best interest to offload as much as possible of the manufacturing process to other people. I need folks at least as good as I am at assembly, inspection, and just overall thoroughness. Because I am very good at those things and have put very high standards on these components, it's difficult for me to not only find someone who can pull it off repeatably, but also for me to develop the trust required so that my worry is low. And of course the same applies to all of the 'hidden' things in regards to DFM, the placements, soldering, cleaning, inspections that happen on the line. One way I can develop this trust to a high degree of certainty is to use folks who are making things that go inside people or fly people or go in other life-critical applications. These folks have spent huge chunks of their lives following stringent specifications and understand the consequences of not doing so. While synth widgets are not life-critical systems, I want the trust that is associated with making life-critical systems so that I can give them more of the process and feel extremely comfortable - and the users of these widgets can be professionals who don't have to worry about any defects grounding their performance. I've had far too many synth stuffs that I've had to repair and typically things go in the middle of something inspiring. I do my best to make things that have long life and will not need service for a long time.

The other part of this is that my life isn't only about making synth widgets. I have dreams of music, 'open-source space,' and some medical devices that could help people too. All of these goals need someone to make electronic widgets and having the manufacturing sorted and done is just one less thing on my plate to get things done and done right. It will be liberating.

I've spent a lot of time & money researching contract manufacturers and I'm at it again, unfortunately, but fortunately, in another light. I'm flying out to visit another CM soon. I have to visit this new tier of CMs in person because of ITAR restrictions and cannot simply get a facetime/webcam/camera tour :) So it's taking some time but it will be worth it. It's been feeling good - there is definitely a big difference in how these places operate and it's much more in line with the whole 'rabid' part of RE (which, FYI, is rabid to mean very high rigor - rabidly rigorous or something like that :D ). I'm hoping to make my selection soon and then I can get some things made again!

I've been telling folks about 6mo. before any more stuff will be back in stock due to this search and retooling; it's possible it could be sooner and this is tentative as usual.

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:35 am

Baddcr wrote:If you don't mind sharing I am really keen to see (and hear of course) your rig when you finally finish it - bet it's quite something!
Our rig is a very weird one when we finally look at it :D About half of it is custom for the implementation of several global arranging/sequencing/editing concepts we'd come up with through our sequencer discussions. The rest are a few other manufacturer's modules (I think just IJ and ALM), then some RE ones; some of which are not yet released. I'll put a pic up when it's finished.

guestt

Post by guestt » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:49 am

Cool - will look forward to that - sounds ace!

+1 for sticking to your guns re. CM - in my dabbles with production (T-shirts / cases) it is astounding how brutally hard work some companies can be, even if they are lovely people there are only so many failures one can stomach - and if you go through the whole process in painstaking detail getting everything just right, then find that one of the earlier mistakes crops up again, it really does make you want to scream - it happens a lot, far more than one might imagine - sometimes I think it is a miracle anything ever gets made to spec at all.

They say if you want something doing properly, do it yourself, and that is true about 95% of the time, but if you can find someone who is in the other 5% that you can trust completely then you are golden. I don't think many folk appreciate just how much work it is getting the communication right so the end product is exactly what you want.

Good luck!! :tu:

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:14 pm

Thanks for the detailed response on the thought process behind your choice of CM’s—I hope you can find a good one that meets your needs. I spent a good part of my career designing medical devices and taking them through the research, r&d, and manufacturing phases. It’s not an an easy path, and the manufacturer’s familiarity with your application is an important factor. Looking forward to see more NG’s and other Rabid modules in the wild.

b4
Learning to Wiggle

Post by b4 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:09 pm

PM33AUD, this sounds great. Thank you for sharing these details with us. This feels so right to put my money in one of your modules. I'm looking forward to the next batch of NG's.

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:17 pm

PM33AUD wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:"...at this point, I'm only interested in those that deal with aerospace, medical, and other life-critical assemblies and have 6 sigma folks on staff."

Thanks for the advice - they do produce quality stuffs and are a great solution for many designers; and it's true there is no way the CMs I'm seeking out can compete with their prices. Once design, prototyping, and testing are completed, it's in my best interest to offload as much as possible of the manufacturing process to other people. I need folks at least as good as I am at assembly, inspection, and just overall thoroughness. Because I am very good at those things and have put very high standards on these components, it's difficult for me to not only find someone who can pull it off repeatably, but also for me to develop the trust required so that my worry is low. And of course the same applies to all of the 'hidden' things in regards to DFM, the placements, soldering, cleaning, inspections that happen on the line. One way I can develop this trust to a high degree of certainty is to use folks who are making things that go inside people or fly people or go in other life-critical applications. These folks have spent huge chunks of their lives following stringent specifications and understand the consequences of not doing so. While synth widgets are not life-critical systems, I want the trust that is associated with making life-critical systems so that I can give them more of the process and feel extremely comfortable - and the users of these widgets can be professionals who don't have to worry about any defects grounding their performance. I've had far too many synth stuffs that I've had to repair and typically things go in the middle of something inspiring. I do my best to make things that have long life and will not need service for a long time.

The other part of this is that my life isn't only about making synth widgets. I have dreams of music, 'open-source space,' and some medical devices that could help people too. All of these goals need someone to make electronic widgets and having the manufacturing sorted and done is just one less thing on my plate to get things done and done right. It will be liberating.

I've spent a lot of time & money researching contract manufacturers and I'm at it again, unfortunately, but fortunately, in another light. I'm flying out to visit another CM soon. I have to visit this new tier of CMs in person because of ITAR restrictions and cannot simply get a facetime/webcam/camera tour :) So it's taking some time but it will be worth it. It's been feeling good - there is definitely a big difference in how these places operate and it's much more in line with the whole 'rabid' part of RE (which, FYI, is rabid to mean very high rigor - rabidly rigorous or something like that :D ). I'm hoping to make my selection soon and then I can get some things made again!

I've been telling folks about 6mo. before any more stuff will be back in stock due to this search and retooling; it's possible it could be sooner and this is tentative as usual.

I think this is a super great idea. Unless your some super human you cant be good at everything. Its like a master chef - they dont make shit on a daily basis but ensure entrusted others do about a good as job as they can of replicating the masters work....otherwise youll have to devote youur entire life to it and it doesnt sound like you want that at all...

Wowa Cwejman, up until the most recent batches, designed and hand fucking built every single module - billions of parts he said hes soldered in his life, now he is doing manufacturing like your wanting. Good enough for Wowa....
look up!

elinch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by elinch » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:12 am

Here is my last video. The piece builds up around a sequence with the Verbos HO. Make Noise STO and the Verbos HO go through the Natural Gate. The Er-301 is again responsible for various things. 2 sine oscillators are sequenced by VB, mixer, various delays, sample player, EQ, filter.
The Natural Gate is very nice to hear at the end of the piece.

[video][/video]

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:03 am

Quick video. The Natural Gate along with the Meris Polymoon. I'm running a Mother-32 into each channel of the Natural Gate.

[video][/video]

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:53 am

Very nice elinch! I really enjoy the more compact systems myself and what can be had out of them. Pretty!

NoLegs too - definitely will have to check out this Polymoon thing. I'm a sucker for Memory Man (Men?) of all sorts and seems like there is some overlap with this one - with extra range in the low delay positions. Definitely has the smear going on.

Nice work folks!

osyrus11
Learning to Wiggle

Post by osyrus11 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:03 pm

OOOO! Polymoon is tasty! Have not seen that pedal before. Band name: the memory men. I'm thinking like a devo art band aesthetic. What do you say? we can wear lampshades and beep boop our way to the top!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”