overlooked doepfer - which modules?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

mg05
Common Wiggler

overlooked doepfer - which modules?

Post by mg05 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:29 am

I read often statements like this about doepfer:
Doepfer. Started the format and makes some amazing modules. Unfortunately, it's very overlooked at times.
So I'm asking which doepfer modules are so unique overlooked amazing? And why, compared to others?

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:54 am

They offer quite a few unique modules - their BBD, PLL, Theremin and Trautonium modules to name a few.

boboter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boboter » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:59 am

The A-189-1 Bit Modifier is amazing.

Best Bitcrusher I ever had. It takes some time to figure out what the perfect levels to feed it with are, but when you do, it's great for all kinds of sounds, not just harsh bit and sample reduction.

It also features many extra modes as a bonus.
jogging house ... new album 'chants' out now.

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: overlooked doepfer - which modules?

Post by MarcelP » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:33 pm

mg05 wrote:I read often statements like this about doepfer:
Doepfer. Started the format and makes some amazing modules. Unfortunately, it's very overlooked at times.
So I'm asking which doepfer modules are so unique overlooked amazing? And why, compared to others?
Hi,

not sure if the proposition/question is right? The "thing" about Doepfer is they make a wide range of functional building blocks with sturdy design and a very useable interface for a reasonable price. Individually each module doesn't appear exciting or amazing. The power is in their combination - which is surely the point of modular systems.

The reason they get overlooked might be due to any number of reasons: the relatively dull aesthetic, the "does what it says" predictability, the ergonomically wide and hp hungry panel design, the numbering system (as opposed to funky names) that has a musty whiff of the Dewey decimal system about it....

I could go on (and probably will on many other threads) - but Doepfer particularly seems to get overlooked by those new to modular, the very people who would benefit from starting with: simple, functional, useful, ergonomic, well supported and documented modules.

That said there are some fairly unique odd-balls in their line-up - 2 from my rack:

A-138e - quad 3 way cross fader - who would guess how useful...?

A-196 - PLL - a vanilla bit of sciency feeling electronics, yet it goes from predictable frequency tracking to bonkers erruptions at the flick of a switch and twiddle of a knob.

The prize for simplest module that likely gets overlooked for its dullness goes to:

A-182-1 - switched multiple - absurdly simple yet fantastically useful tool - why hasn't everyone got one? Or two?

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:42 pm

A-185-2 precision adder FTW.

Bluebox
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bluebox » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:52 pm

A-138-D Crossfader / Effects Insert. A must-have for interfacing pedals to my rack. Cheap and useful.

Cheers,
-ian
ST∆ER Bandcamp: https://staer.bandcamp.com/

The Grey Lady (my Euro system): http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/7359

Ramases
Common Wiggler

Post by Ramases » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:08 pm

I don't think of them as overlooked as such but here are a few Doepfer favourites.

The first two are examples of what Doepfer does well at times. Really useful, multi-functional modules with a lot of interesting features. Sure, they may take up a few more HP and not look as pretty as some other makers but who cares!
A152 Voltage Addressed Switch/Analogue Shift Register
http://www.doepfer.de/a152.htm

A143-1 Quad AD
http://www.doepfer.de/a1431.htm

If you are into screwing up sounds or playing around with Karplus-Strong synthesis type sounds the BBD is great.
A188-1 BBD
http://www.doepfer.de/A1881.htm

Their ribbon controller is a very good expressive tool.
A198 Ribbon Controller
http://www.doepfer.de/a198.htm

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:31 pm

and of course in the category of often overlooked but even more sensibly priced modules Ladik can have a say...

Positive Modular Attitude
Common Wiggler

Post by Positive Modular Attitude » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:42 pm

I really like the fixed filter bank!

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:59 pm

I think people see Doepfer like Tesco own brand, basic cheap affordable but just "the best". This notion is probably wrong though because whenever i hear a Doepfer only system i'm usually impressed with how it sounds quite a few times now i've searched artists i like and then find out that they have huge Doepfer systems that are insanely good!!!

richc90
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by richc90 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:03 pm

Second boboter's vote for the A189-1.

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:08 pm

TemplarK wrote:I think people see Doepfer like Tesco own brand, basic cheap affordable but just "the best". This notion is probably wrong though because whenever i hear a Doepfer only system i'm usually impressed with how it sounds quite a few times now i've searched artists i like and then find out that they have huge Doepfer systems that are insanely good!!!
Does that make Ladik Aldi? I don't have any Ladik yet, but I appreciate the Aldi way... :party:

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: overlooked doepfer - which modules?

Post by authorless » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:14 pm

There are a few threads about this already.
MarcelP wrote:A-138e - quad 3 way cross fader - who would guess how useful...?
Absolutely.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tuj » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:50 pm

omg almost all of them.

A102-1 LPG. Not as plonky and inconsistent between modules, but still a great vactrol LPG.

A107 Morphing filter, this thing is sick and dirty.

A110 Useful as a non-chromatic pitched voice, 2 is even better in cross FM.

A127 Triple resonant filter. like the poor man's RES4, it can do some sweet sweeps with 3 filters that all have a dedicated LFO.

A137-1 VC wave multiplier, mangle the hell out of your VCO's for new timbres for days.

A143-1 quad LFO/AD env. Not only is it 4 envelopes, but its also one big 8 stage envelope also.

A151 version 2. Sequential switch, so useful in building complex patches.

A170. Great slew. Really nails the sound IMHO.

A187-1. Seems like no one has this, but it has a great distortion+filter patch and some decent reverbs.

A196-1 PLL. Loads of pitch-tracking glitchy goodness.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:33 pm

A151 Sequential switch -- worth all the praise above. Can be used as a switchable suboctave maker (1 octave down, 1 octave and a fifth down, 2 octaves down), fake analog shift register (routing pitch CV to four different oscillators in turn), and more.

A172 Max/Min -- very cool module for combining CV with two flavors. Nice for taking two sequences and sending the higher voltage to a different voice. Used with one input, you get a buffered mult.

A166 Dual Logic Module -- two three way logic banks and two inverters.

A184-2 Sine Converter / Crossfader -- the triangle to sine shaper is only meant for use on one specific triangle wave, but it can be used as a subtle distortion. Crossfader sounds really good.

Nino
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nino » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:46 pm

"The A-189-1 is a hidden gem"

lightafterdark
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lightafterdark » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:09 pm

I am sure there are more but from my own experience I can recommend the following:

A-185-2 Precision Adder

A-110-4 Thru Zero Quadrature VCO

A-182-1 Switched Multiples

A-151 Quad Sequential Switch

A-102-1 Low Pass Gate

A-196 Phase Locked Loop (PLL)

The BBD modules are cool as well as the clock dividers. In general Doepfer offers many great utility and non-utility modules that in combination can produce very complex results and they do offer unusual modules too such as the forthcoming A-110-6 (is this out yet?).

porphyrion
Wiggling with Experience

Post by porphyrion » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:15 pm

Any love for the a-113 Subharmonic Generator? Has anyone kept it in their racks over the years? It works with squares, but what exactly does it do to clocks etc? Worth it in your opinion? - thanks!

a-185 adder has proven to be very handy!
the spring reverb is great too.
and love the ribbon (gonna go for a kinky glove one of these).

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:56 pm

Why this thread still hasn't got anyone mentioning the Wasp filter is beyond me....
Doepder actually makes great filters as a whole. And at that price...

dinosaurs
Common Wiggler

Post by dinosaurs » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:16 pm

Chopper wrote:Why this thread still hasn't got anyone mentioning the Wasp filter is beyond me....
Doepder actually makes great filters as a whole. And at that price...
probably because its a really popular module and this thread is about the hidden gems.

I'm a pretty big fan of the A-138m matrix mixer, though I'm not sure it qualifies here.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:40 pm

dinosaurs wrote:I'm a pretty big fan of the A-138m matrix mixer, though I'm not sure it qualifies here.
Allow me to pick up the torch from Paranormal Patroler and say you can patch the A-138m as a sequencer. :hihi:

I've been researching the 138 obviously -- it really doesn't get that many mentions in recent years. Is it still your preferred matrix mixer?

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:43 pm

I'm not sure if the A149-1+2 is a 'hidden gem' or an 'old favourite'. However, it's one of my most used sources of randomness. The bottom half in particular.

+1 for the Precision Adder
+1 for all the filters

- the A-156 dual Quantiser - no user-definable scales, but one of the most reliable quantisers in Eurorack.

A few users comment on the larger HP of many Doepfer modules. Part of that is due to the fact that you get attenuators for many CVs that might not be available on other modules. More recently, Doepfer has issued smaller more compact modules, and added features to some of the classics to be more competitive on this score.

Another good reason for newbies to seriously consider Doepfer: lots of modules come up for sale on eBay, and the price is pretty stable. It means you can get started faster on a limited budget, and you can resell later without much price differential.

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:14 pm

+1 for switches (A150, A151, A152)
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

drewfx1
Common Wiggler

Post by drewfx1 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:51 pm

101-6 Opto FET VCF :sb:

But there are many others and I definitely +1 the PLL and the quad crossfader (like many Doepfer modules it's deceptively clever).

rytamura
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rytamura » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:39 pm

+1 for the precision adder: 1v source, inverters for every I/O, on/off switch, one attenuatable input, and buffered multiple!

A-183-3 amplifier for boosting quiet audio signals(highness/bandpass filtered audio). Helpful for modules outputting 5v cv signals to use with other modules that expect 8/10 volt cv signals. Also useful to convert AD to AHD by clipping.

For me the doepfer modules are nice glue between more densely featured modules from other MFRs.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”