Polyend Poly module + SEQ Sequencer (32 steps, 8 polyphonic)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

StoneAgeOfTheFuture
Common Wiggler

Post by StoneAgeOfTheFuture » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:40 am

dhoinjo (or anyone else who uses Octatrack MK2 with Polyend Poly) - do you know if you can assign the fader in the Octatrack to the CC in the Poly?
I'm wondering if I can use the A/B scenes like mod wheels to my filters and as envelope generators using the CC outputs.
Thanks!

Koryo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Koryo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:30 am

MikeLeeBirds wrote:Saw some unanswered questions related to Deluge.
I have one myself. Any Delugers with a Poly out there?

I love what I‘ve seen of SEQ so far, but since I have a Deluge I want to get the most out of that first.

My question: would anyone recommend Poly over Hermod to connect Deluge to the modular?

And then: has anyone used SEQ through Hermod?

What’s nice about Hermod is that it’s a sequencer on its own, which is nice for the times I don‘t bring the Deluge (or maybe SEQ in the future).

I use a Deluge to control a modular system. I had some confusion when I first set it up. I wanted to use 2X Polys because it is printed on the PCB of the Poly right next to the DIP switches; "Channels 9-16". Turns out that the first gen Poly does not function that way. Then the Hexinverter - Mutant Brain came out. This makes the solution even better in my opinion.

I programed the Mutant Brain to handle all the triggers, gates, and clocks with 4 CV modulators on channels 9-16 with some of the triggers on different notes of a singular channel providing 12 gates/triggers. The Poly handles all the melodic gate and modulation stuff on channels 1-8.

The back end has two bits of shenanigans going on to complete the system. The Deluge is plugged via USB into a iConnectAUDIO4+, out from there to a MIDI Solutions Quadra to the Mutant Brain and the Poly.

So the final tally:
20 gates or triggers
28 CV

With the use of the Deluge's conditional or probabilistic triggers/gates/notes, unlimited tracks, poly and unlimited tack length, 64th notes, note row muting, nothing but a DAW surpasses it.

liquidsn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by liquidsn » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:07 pm

Just got the POLY.

In Ableton, playing a C-0 shows up as 2 volts on my oscilloscope. I can't get my OSCs tuned that low. My lowest are piston honda & Hertz Donut. Those are C-0 as 0 volts.

So basically I have to play C-2 in Ableton to get C-4 in modular. And it tracks great.

Is this an Ableton thing or a POLY thing? seems weird that C-0 outputs 2 volts.

Koryo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Koryo » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:11 pm

liquidsn wrote:...In Ableton, playing a C-0 shows up as 2 volts on my oscilloscope... Is this an Ableton thing or a POLY thing?
*Scratches head Hmmm....

via Polyend: 8x Pitch (0-12V, V/oct)

I think its a pc MIDI implementation thing or and Ableton thing.

Koryo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Koryo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:08 am

Koryo wrote:
liquidsn wrote:...In Ableton, playing a C-0 shows up as 2 volts on my oscilloscope... Is this an Ableton thing or a POLY thing?
*Scratches head Hmmm....

via Polyend: 8x Pitch (0-12V, V/oct)

I think its a pc MIDI implementation thing or and Ableton thing.

After some research, nope. Nothing wrong. A0 is common for the low note of a piano, however that's not where it stops. C-2 (c negative two) is zero volts on the Poly and I assume in the one volt per octave eurorack / MIDI conversion.

I suggest you go to the basement, because that's where all the bass went.

thrillvector
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thrillvector » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:59 am

I’m using a Polyend Poly and want to sync my pingable LFOs and pingable MMF to the Digitakt’s MIDI clock. How would I go about doing that? Is a clock module required? Someone mentioned earlier in this thread the Erica Synths MIDI to Clock V2 and a MIDI THRU box... Would Poly + Pamela’s New Workout be able to achieve the goal?

Koryo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Koryo » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:14 pm

thrillvector wrote:I’m using a Polyend Poly and want to sync my pingable LFOs and pingable MMF...
Just set one track to output a gate/note at whatever tempo you wish. Patch that channel from the Poly to a mult and then to whatever needs to be synced.

thrillvector
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thrillvector » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:58 pm

Thanks! Although the ping takes up one of eight MIDI tracks on the Digitakt, a sequenced ping on a filter or LFO sounds very interesting.

Ruiner
Common Wiggler

Post by Ruiner » Thu May 02, 2019 9:07 am

I find myself not using the velocity and modulation outputs on the SEQ and POLY because I don't think I quite understand it....

Can anyone explain how the MIDI values of 0-127 correlate to control voltage when using it with the POLY module?

When I change velocity on the SEQ and have NOTHING plugged into the velocity or mod outputs it still changes the sound of the pitch I guess? Is that supposed to happen? Why does it happen?

I tried plugging the velocity into a VCA and also other areas like a filter and same with the mod so I could understand what's going on but I can't seem to grasp it.

Chartreuse-J
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chartreuse-J » Thu May 02, 2019 7:56 pm

Ruiner wrote:I find myself not using the velocity and modulation outputs on the SEQ and POLY because I don't think I quite understand it....

Can anyone explain how the MIDI values of 0-127 correlate to control voltage when using it with the POLY module?

When I change velocity on the SEQ and have NOTHING plugged into the velocity or mod outputs it still changes the sound of the pitch I guess? Is that supposed to happen? Why does it happen?

I tried plugging the velocity into a VCA and also other areas like a filter and same with the mod so I could understand what's going on but I can't seem to grasp it.
On a scope, I see no voltage change from the Modulation outputs. I have never gotten Modulation to work with a sequence running on SEQ no matter what parameters I input. Would be nice to understand how to get it to work properly.
Soundcloud
*Abstract Cat Pwns your life*

Ruiner
Common Wiggler

Post by Ruiner » Thu May 02, 2019 9:02 pm

Chartreuse-J wrote:
Ruiner wrote:I find myself not using the velocity and modulation outputs on the SEQ and POLY because I don't think I quite understand it....

On a scope, I see no voltage change from the Modulation outputs. I have never gotten Modulation to work with a sequence running on SEQ no matter what parameters I input. Would be nice to understand how to get it to work properly.
I got a message back from them saying:

“ 0 midi velocity = 0V, 127 midi velocity = 12V scaled proportionally”

I also read something about dipswitchea on the back but haven’t looked at that yet

StoneAgeOfTheFuture
Common Wiggler

Post by StoneAgeOfTheFuture » Sun May 12, 2019 8:52 pm

I love my brand new Polyend Poly! It works great with my Octatrack MKII. However, track 2 doesn't seem to be outputting the correct CV. The pitch isn't changing. When I plug other oscillators into track 2, they also don't work - so it's not my oscillator. My OctatrackMK2 doesn't seem to have any weird settings on that track, either. So I'm at a loss as to why this is an issue.
Could it be defective? Has anyone else experienced this? :hmm:
Thanks

ckwjr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ckwjr » Mon May 13, 2019 9:42 am

No experience with the Octatrack, but I use the Poly extensively with the Digitone midi tracks and have never had any problems.

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Wed May 22, 2019 11:37 am

Polyend now offers the (old) Poly for free in a bundle if you buy a Seq. This is a very attractive offer in my eyes. They do this because of the announcement of the new Poly 2 module, expected this late summer.

As much as I like special offers, I am also always tempted to go for the best or most up-to-date product version, of course. Am I right in summarizing the following few main disadvantages with the old Seq+Poly?:
- C0 plays as C3 because there are no negative note voltage outputs on Poly
- clock uses up one track gate output, reducing the tracks to 7
- MIDI configuration not very flexible for "note independent cv modulation purposes" and in first/next polyphony mode

Does anyone already know how these issues will be solved or not with the upcoming Poly 2, especially the first one?

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Thu May 23, 2019 8:26 am

Well, I think I found out myself:
- C0 plays as C3 because there are no negative note voltage outputs on Poly
Should be the same problem with Poly 2 because the DAC only outputs positive voltages (0-8v I think). Same also with BSP et al btw. It seems that only the Shuttle Control can output bipolar voltages. Maybe for the price of peak accuracy, I don‘t know.
- clock uses up one track gate output, reducing the tracks to 7
This one is a mixed bag with the Poly 2 IMO, because with clock using up one cv output you can still configure 8 (even 9) cv/gate voices. But the total number of cv outs is significantly reduced from 32 to 20. So you lose many of the velocity and modulation outputs.
- MIDI configuration not very flexible for "note independent cv modulation purposes" and in first/next polyphony mode
Solved with Poly 2 I think.

Still not sure what to do now. The lack of negative voltage outputs is a major issue for me. Maybe I should go with the Shuttle Control then, but together with the Seq it‘s a huge amount of gas for just a midi controller setup.

Neo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Neo » Thu May 23, 2019 4:19 pm

Does anyone know if Poly 2 can do legato for overlapping notes on a mono channel?

robotsounds
Common Wiggler

Re: anyone figured out the high pitch problem

Post by robotsounds » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:00 am

learntoswim wrote:So Poly just uppitches everything I feed it 3 whole octaves (which is insane right?)

I saw someone reply "I wouldn't even notice and just de-tune".. well you would surely notice a 3 octave jump.. it just doesn't make any sense to me that this is the "most popular way" says Polyend..

I can literally turn my freq knob all the way to the left on my oscillators, and still never get a low register.. so they are basically making buy a voltage divider?? for all 8 channels??? that seems crazy.. I love the idea of my Poly and SEQ.. it's great with my prophet6 and eurorack drum modules, but I would sure like to use the pitch outs on my Poly like any normal sequencer..

Any updates on this would be cool, thanks all!
I agree, this makes the Poly really unusable for me as a voice midi to cv converter.

I cannot tune any of my VCOs low enough, and my Mordax Data certainly cannot even register the pitch of my VCOs when the dial is turned all the way left.

This makes the DAW -> midi cable ->Poly unusable for bass lines as I just cannot get anywhere near low enough.

Back to expert sleepers for the moment, which is great but a pain to get working with multiple channels (pitch, gate, trigger, velocity etc)

Polyend is there no way to change this behaviour on the Poly?

j_dowe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j_dowe » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:17 pm

robotsounds wrote:
learntoswim wrote:So Poly just uppitches everything I feed it 3 whole octaves (which is insane right?)
I agree, this needs to be more flexible.

:crash:

pg1
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pg1 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:43 pm

j_dowe wrote:
robotsounds wrote:
I agree, this needs to be changed.

:crash:
Still waiting on mine but i also hope this is changed.

Pattern change only being instant and no option to change at the end of the pattern is a weird one too, the manual basically says it was designed like that on purpose, unless that has changed with most recent firmware? Seems daft not to have the option to choose.

Anyone used one of these with an assimil8or? Hoping to able to use all those extra cv ins with polys velocity / modulations outs etc but am a bit worried reading comments about the modulation outs not working at all.

Neo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Neo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:33 pm

I saw someone reply "I wouldn't even notice and just de-tune".. well you would surely notice a 3 octave jump.. it just doesn't make any sense to me that this is the "most popular way" says Polyend..

I can literally turn my freq knob all the way to the left on my oscillators, and still never get a low register.. so they are basically making buy a voltage divider?? for all 8 channels??? that seems crazy.. I love the idea of my Poly and SEQ.. it's great with my prophet6 and eurorack drum modules, but I would sure like to use the pitch outs on my Poly like any normal sequencer..

Looks like this is what's happening:
Poly outputs midi notes 0 - 127 as 0 - 12V (or more likely 0 - 10.666V)
C0 = 2V which means they are probably calling note 60 C3
note 0 would then be C-2 (C negative 2, as mentioned earlier in the thread) and 0V
So notes between midi 0 and 12 are between 0 and 1V.

In other words, to play bass notes you need to transpose your sequence down on the sequencer

j_dowe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j_dowe » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:32 pm

Neo wrote:

Looks like this is what's happening:
Poly outputs midi notes 0 - 127 as 0 - 12V (or more likely 0 - 10.666V)
C0 = 2V which means they are probably calling note 60 C3
note 0 would then be C-2 (C negative 2, as mentioned earlier in the thread) and 0V
So notes between midi 0 and 12 are between 0 and 1V.

In other words, to play bass notes you need to transpose your sequence down on the sequencer
Yeah, I'm transposing down to C-2 and getting a really low C (around 33 Hz) on my Teleharmonic w/ the tuning turned almost all the way counter clockwise.

C1 ends up being middle C in Ableton ... and C-2 is three octaves lower.

My NTO can tune 1.5 octaves lower on the lowest midi note... which is ridiculously low.

So, as long as your oscillator can tune down a few octaves this should work fine.

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:42 am

Is there a plan to increase track count beyond 8 and step length beyond 32?

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:51 pm

pg1 wrote: Pattern change only being instant and no option to change at the end of the pattern is a weird one too, the manual basically says it was designed like that on purpose, unless that has changed with most recent firmware? Seems daft not to have the option to choose.
This is the one thing that really turns me off. Very odd. I take it there's still no option? The only choice being to set up chained patterns?

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:42 pm

New user... acquired a Poly 1. Have it hooked up to Cubase via USB. I seem to have issues with Gate not sustaining, and similar glitchy behavior (skipping notes).

Are there any known issues? Firmware updates? Etc. The same sequence played fine from a Hermod and via Silent Way.

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:01 pm

Another first day new user here. Was initially concerned about the track pitch issue. But in my very limited first use, can't it be very simply avoided by just setting the "track root note" a couple of octaves up? I can easily have super-low bass that way. Or am I missing something?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”