Nerdsynth NerdSEQ - eurorack tracker/sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Nerdsynth NerdSEQ - eurorack tracker/sampler

Post by 22tape » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:13 am

Shledge wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:43 pm
Nice if they actually included CV capabilities to the Polyend Tracker. Kind of makes it a paperweight in its current state in my eyes.
They probably left out CV on Tracker to help move Poly 2 modules-- their MIDI to CV converter. I'm bummed that Tracker doesn't have CV clock in.

hirnlego
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hirnlego » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:30 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:42 pm
Cv input maybe could use a little work but most of the features you mentioned I find really fleshed out, maybe you just need to put more time into learning more about them?
This may be true and it is totally possible that the feeling will fade out once I have achieved better familiarity with the module.
Regarding CV input, it was one of the main reasons why I bought the module in the first place but at the moment I'm finding it really difficult to use in an immediate and solid way.

Shledge wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:58 pm
As for the UX of the module, it really comes down if you are familiar with trackers to begin with. Personally I find it pretty easy and quick to use, but only because I have used trackers before. You can do stuff like directly record notes step by step with a MIDI keyboard, which makes creating melodies super fast. If you like twiddling knobs, obviously it's not for you, but frankly I think you lose a lot of complexity you can implement that way. Trackers offer a unique position to allow for VERY complex results relatively quickly, compared to other advanced sequencers.
I don't have experience with trackers on computers, but I'm guessing that the UX there is different because the input peripherals are different.
As said before, I really appreciate how powerful the NerdSeq is and I quite like this way of sequencing, my difficulty is interacting with it using a really minimal (and, in my opinion, clunky) keyboard. I thought it would be easier and felt different, I guess.
For this reason I hoped that the CV inputs would have made at least the experience of sequencing more friendly and familiar, but maybe using some MIDI peripheral is a better solution. Unfortunately, it would require adding another module...

glassofwater
Common Wiggler

Post by glassofwater » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:30 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:11 pm
I have more confidence and trust in his support and dedication to this sequencer than almost any other music hardware/company there is.
this is my take as well. excellent dude and excellent product

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:44 am

Thomas has done an amazing job continuously providing us users with massive updates, and he listens to the community. There is a dedicated XOR user forum with a lot of discussion on user interface and upcoming features. He is a one man show, and he is KILLING IT!

As for some upcoming features, I am mostly excited for two things: fully featured scales implementation, and more elaborate launchpad integration. Once these two things happen the Nerdseq will literally be perfect imho.

mcpepe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mcpepe » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:17 am

Thinking of adquiring a Nerdseq. What kind of randomness is Nerdseq able of doing? Can you play with probability per step?

mvdirty
Common Wiggler

Post by mvdirty » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:28 am

mcpepe wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:17 am
Thinking of adquiring a Nerdseq. What kind of randomness is Nerdseq able of doing? Can you play with probability per step?
NerdSEQ has what I believe to be the most powerful probability functions of any eurorack sequencer. It’s one of the main reasons I chose it.

Probabilities are ”effects“. They are set on a step and carry forward to subsequent steps unless you “disable” that probability effect by setting it to 0% or 100% on some step (or triggering a different effect in that effect column, IIRC.)

Probabilities can be applied to a wide variety of things, including the actions of other effects columns. (Each track has a few effects columns.) Yes, this should allow for targeting probabilities at other probabilities, though I’ve yet to test it personally.

NerdSEQ has so many ”effects” types, with many able to target arbitrary outputs, even those assigned to other tracks, target the sequencer as a whole, target other shared things in the NerdSEQ, the list is frankly nuts. With a probability effect able to target these other effects, it might almost be easier to go looking for what cannot be targeted by probability.

The above all said, I only just received my NerdSEQ and was setting it up over the weekend, so I’m nowhere near up to speed on every detail but I can try to answer more about this if you like, or I can at least point you at the right manual sections, etc. Let me know!

(Addendum - There are even effects that randomize the _values_ of other things, suggesting that one might be able to set up a probability chance of randomizing another probability. :D)

mcpepe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mcpepe » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:35 am

mvdirty wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:28 am
mcpepe wrote:
NerdSEQ has what I believe to be the most powerful probability functions of any eurorack sequencer. It’s one of the main reasons I chose it.

Probabilities are ”effects“. They are set on a step and carry forward to subsequent steps unless you “disable” that probability effect by setting it to 0% or 100% on some step (or triggering a different effect in that effect column, IIRC.)

Probabilities can be applied to a wide variety of things, including the actions of other effects columns. (Each track has a few effects columns.) Yes, this should allow for targeting probabilities at other probabilities, though I’ve yet to test it personally.

NerdSEQ has so many ”effects” types, with many able to target arbitrary outputs, even those assigned to other tracks, target the sequencer as a whole, target other shared things in the NerdSEQ, the list is frankly nuts. With a probability effect able to target these other effects, it might almost be easier to go looking for what cannot be targeted by probability.

The above all said, I only just received my NerdSEQ and was setting it up over the weekend, so I’m nowhere near up to speed on every detail but I can try to answer more about this if you like, or I can at least point you at the right manual sections, etc. Let me know!

(Addendum - There are even effects that randomize the _values_ of other things, suggesting that one might be able to set up a probability chance of randomizing another probability. :D)
Thanks for the detailed answer! :love:

I was trying to evaluate my need for my Ornament&Crime if I get the Nerdseq. I mainly use it for the Turing machines apps, to get random notes/melodies. But with those probability features in the Nerdseq I surely can get something similar. I dont need a turing machine reproduction, just a way to play generative, semigenerative, semirandom melodies with the Nerdseq.

mvdirty
Common Wiggler

Post by mvdirty » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:41 am

mcpepe wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:35 am
I was trying to evaluate my need for my Ornament&Crime if I get the Nerdseq. I mainly use it for the Turing machines apps, to get random notes/melodies. But with those probability features in the Nerdseq I surely can get something similar. I dont need a turing machine reproduction, just a way to play generative, semigenerative, semirandom melodies with the Nerdseq.
I honestly don’t think the NerdSEQ would serve you well in that area. Probabilities of specified things occurring? For sure! Generation of whole sets of things, not so much.

For my setup, generators upstream/alongside offer a better, more controllable match for that kind of thing. Permutation with Variant. Tuesday. Knight’s/White Gallop. etc.

I suspect you’ll be happiest perhaps controlling such modules from NerdSEQ, perhaps even feeding their voltages through the NerdSEQ, but otherwise letting them still take on the task they do best.

mcpepe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mcpepe » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:49 pm

Ok. Understood. I will have to try it and see. Thanks for your answers.

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:44 am

I've already found:

- sample delay
- table scaling
- envelopes
- stop track (?)
- pattern mover
- operator (?)
- screen saver
- sample glide
- automator (?)

sirjpink
Common Wiggler

Post by sirjpink » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:01 am

guigui wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:44 am
I've already found:

- sample delay
- table scaling
- envelopes
- stop track (?)
- pattern mover
- operator (?)
- screen saver
- sample glide
- automator (?)
Fun puzzle! :hyper: I think it's "automators"

Additionally, I've found:
  • Wavefolder
  • Four operator (instead of operator; wonder if this some sort of FM thing or an FX thing)
  • Shift up down
  • Pattern length
  • Table move
  • and Tables (which is already there, so I'm guessing the implementation will be changed?)
Spoilers below (I had the day off.. don't judge me)
► Show Spoiler

mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mosorensen » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:14 am

sirjpink wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:01 am
[*]Four operator (instead of operator; wonder if this some sort of FM thing or an FX thing)
It does say: "Four Operator FM"

shellfritsch
Common Wiggler

Post by shellfritsch » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:38 pm

am i right to assume sample delay means un-quantized recording could be possible? always been keen on picking up the nerdseq, but as far as i can tell you can't do loose realtime recording - yeah?

mvdirty
Common Wiggler

Post by mvdirty » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:00 pm

Doubtful. From everything Thomas has said, going totally unquantized would be too deep a change to be possible. It is a fundamentally step-based sequencer. That said, perhaps recording could learn more about groove values?

megarat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megarat » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:13 pm

I'm still LMAO over how Thomas announces the features of his new firmware update in the form of a word-search. That's completely hilarious.

Zerius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zerius » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:47 pm

I can’t wait to try those new incoming envelopes.

jschussler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jschussler » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:16 pm

mvdirty wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:28 am
mcpepe wrote:

I'm particularly interested in this bit: "NerdSEQ has what I believe to be the most powerful probability functions of any eurorack sequencer."

I've been spending a lot of time lately with the Omsonic Stochastic Inspiration Generator, which uses probability for each pitch, time value, slide, ratchet, etc. It's really really interesting they way small changes make a simple scale morph to others.

Vermona's making a module like that as well. My question here is, does the NerdSeq support something like that?

mvdirty
Common Wiggler

Post by mvdirty » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:21 pm

Good evening, Mr Schussler. To say it early: Your videos have been a fantastic resource to me and, I’m certain, many others.

I honestly wouldn’t put NerdSEQ’s probability features in the same realm as stochastic (which I am still eagerly awaiting) and pattern generators like it. Its capabilities lay closer to those of other sequencers with probability features, albeit with more range and depth and “meta” as you surely have gathered from the reply you quoted.

For some hopefully-illustrative context, with the NerdSEQ in my case I still have Tuesday, Permutation (with Variant,) the Kilpatrick K4815, (am awaiting the stochastic,) plus other more trigger-oriented generators.

In the NerdSEQ realm: Can it (probabilistically) randomize the values of the things it does? Yes. Can it probabilistically execute various aspects of the things you’ve sequenced (including other probability events?) Yes. Can it generate a whole string of new sensible things from nothing? Not so much. One might be able to bend it somewhat in that direction, but likely not with the degree of musicality you’d expect from stochastic, at least not without much effort and cutting against the NerdSEQ grain.

joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:44 am

can't wait for this update, nerdseq has been absolutely essential to my setup since i got it. such an amazing piece!

h1ghfiv3
Learning to Wiggle

Post by h1ghfiv3 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:08 pm

Is there a way to set a fixed probability for a sequence of triggers ? By which I mean, can you program that a given sequence (of arbitrary length) of triggers will play with a set probability ? I know that it is possible on the electron sequencers (working with a probability on the first trigger and the pre condition on the other triggers), but I don't yet know how to do it on the nerd.

Thanks in advance

gimber
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gimber » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:46 pm

shellfritsch wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:38 pm
am i right to assume sample delay means un-quantized recording could be possible? always been keen on picking up the nerdseq, but as far as i can tell you can't do loose realtime recording - yeah?
The sample delay should be referring to this from the manual, which has been in "2do" status for a while:
"DELY → Lo-Fi delay. Is a digital delay which gives a delay at a low sample rate."

mvdirty
Common Wiggler

Post by mvdirty » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:16 am

h1ghfiv3 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:08 pm
Is there a way to set a fixed probability for a sequence of triggers ? By which I mean, can you program that a given sequence (of arbitrary length) of triggers will play with a set probability ? I know that it is possible on the electron sequencers (working with a probability on the first trigger and the pre condition on the other triggers), but I don't yet know how to do it on the nerd.

Thanks in advance
Unless I’m misremembering Thomas’ response when something similar was asked previously, a suggestion might be to place those triggers in a table and then set probability on the execution of that table.

megarat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megarat » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:37 am

I’m also intrigued about what new expanders will be released concurrently with this firmware update. I recall that a USB MIDI adapter was in the queue, as well as an I2C adapter, the 6 CV + 2 trig expander, and an expander with one or two digital VCOs.

boom blip
Wiggling with Experience

Post by boom blip » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:42 am

megarat wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:37 am
I’m also intrigued about what new expanders will be released concurrently with this firmware update. I recall that a USB MIDI adapter was in the queue, as well as an I2C adapter, the 6 CV + 2 trig expander, and an expander with one or two digital VCOs.
Me too but due to Covid seems like most makers have slowed down the new releases so it may be a bit of a wait. Dying for the i2c to come out so I can finally use my nerdseq/er301 combo like I'm imagining.

h1ghfiv3
Learning to Wiggle

Post by h1ghfiv3 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:36 am

mvdirty wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:16 am
h1ghfiv3 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:08 pm

Thanks in advance
Unless I’m misremembering Thomas’ response when something similar was asked previously, a suggestion might be to place those triggers in a table and then set probability on the execution of that table.
Thanks for the quick reply. I am a very new owner, and that's why I might be mistaken. However, as far as i know, one can only change the Cv output within a table, and not activate new triggers. Of course, one can combine this with a repeated trigger from outside the table, but they don't seem to be syncable to a clock. That's why the table solution doesn't quite work for me.

(Edit: Spelling. Note to self: Never write on phone again).
Last edited by h1ghfiv3 on Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”