Nerdsynth NerdSEQ - eurorack tracker/sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

jones
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Nerdsynth NerdSEQ - eurorack tracker/sampler

Post by jones » Sat May 30, 2020 10:26 am

hirnlego wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:14 am
jones wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:08 am
With regard to CV recording, is there a way to preview/passthru the cvs that are coming into the inputs, so you can decide when to hit record? Kinda the same way that a midi keyboard works with the NerdSeq?
Wondering the same, but I think not... I keep pressed the table button while the sequence loops until finally happy with the recording. :roll:
Would be a great compositional tool if we could - What you mean by pressing the Table Button?

hirnlego
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hirnlego » Sat May 30, 2020 10:47 am

jones wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:26 am
Would be a great compositional tool if we could - What you mean by pressing the Table Button?
Keeping pressed the table button in pattern mode while recording deletes the previous values instead of mixing them with the new ones. It's the only way I found that allows me to keep recording without having to select everything and delete every time I'm not happy with the result.

jones
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jones » Sat May 30, 2020 10:49 am

hirnlego wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:47 am
jones wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:26 am
Keeping pressed the table button in pattern mode while recording deletes the previous values instead of mixing them with the new ones. It's the only way I found that allows me to keep recording without having to select everything and delete every time I'm not happy with the result.
Great tip TY, overlooked this in the manual.

resynthesize
Wiggling with Experience

Post by resynthesize » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:37 am

I was an early nerdseq user but ended up selling it because I needed something with better midi capabilities. The nerdseq has caught up (and then some!) so I got another set of modules...everything was exactly 60hp, and I had a mother32 case and uzeus psu lying around, so I did a little hacking and mounted a uzeus on the back of the case.
FullSizeRender copy.jpg
FullSizeRender copy 2.jpg

mvdirty
Common Wiggler

Post by mvdirty » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:49 pm

resynthesize wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:37 am
I was an early nerdseq user but ended up selling it because I needed something with better midi capabilities. The nerdseq has caught up (and then some!) so I got another set of modules...everything was exactly 60hp, and I had a mother32 case and uzeus psu lying around, so I did a little hacking and mounted a uzeus on the back of the case.
That’s an awesome NerdSEQ workstation you have there. Nice work!

m12386
Learning to Wiggle

Post by m12386 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:32 pm

mvdirty wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:49 pm
resynthesize wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:37 am
That’s an awesome NerdSEQ workstation you have there. Nice work!
I second that. Thinking about buying a NerdSEQ. Are there any limitations at this point compared to other sequencers?

megarat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megarat » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:42 am

This is difficult to answer, as every sequencer has limitations when compared with other sequencers. Some NerdSEQ limitations that come to mind are (a) some dislike the tracker-style interface, and find it to be relatively complex; (b) it is relatively large and expensive; (c) some of its advanced functionality come from optional expanders, which take up more space and money; (d) the firmware receives substantial updates twice a year, which is generally a good thing, but each release I’ve used has contained some features that are still alpha, which gets in the way of the user experience and makes the product feel unfinished; (e) to my experience (I’ve only had mine for about a year and a half), new firmware updates seem to have focussed on functionality to accommodate new expanders, and deliver less on fleshing out or fixing existing features, including ones that were previously promised for prior expanders.

There are a few other quibbles I could cite, but they’re minor, and like I said, if you’re looking for a specific function in a sequencer, you might be able to find another sequencer that can do it better.

After all that negativity, I feel compelled to point out that I love my NerdSEQ, and I have a dedicated rig much like @resynthsize, with a NerdSEQ and several expanders in a 64hp Pod. It’s really fun, powerful, and easy to use. I’m looking forward to seeing what comes next.

hirnlego
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hirnlego » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:09 am

megarat wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:42 am
This is difficult to answer, as every sequencer has limitations when compared with other sequencers. Some NerdSEQ limitations that come to mind are (a) some dislike the tracker-style interface, and find it to be relatively complex; (b) it is relatively large and expensive; (c) some of its advanced functionality come from optional expanders, which take up more space and money; (d) the firmware receives substantial updates twice a year, which is generally a good thing, but each release I’ve used has contained some features that are still alpha, which gets in the way of the user experience and makes the product feel unfinished; (e) to my experience (I’ve only had mine for about a year and a half), new firmware updates seem to have focussed on functionality to accommodate new expanders, and deliver less on fleshing out or fixing existing features, including ones that were previously promised for prior expanders.
Even if I've owned mine for far less than you have I already can second your opinion: I feel the module quite unfinished and it seems to me that the development of other hardware have taken away resources from the development of the module itself. Of course I don't know how the development is actually going and what the developer will release in the next firmware, but I sure hope that he is done with new hardware for the time being :shut:

In terms of use, this is my first real experience with a tracker (not considering playing with one for half an hour when I had an Amiga) and while I really like how the information is laid out (I actually prefer the vertical scroll to the typical horizontal one) and appreciate how complex the end result may be I doubt that the lack of faders or knobs is the way to go for me, so I may probably end up removing it from the main rack and placing it in a pod as you did, to be used when I need to work on something more complex while leaving space for a more tactile and immediate form of sequencing.

mcpepe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mcpepe » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:33 am

I don't have a Nerdseq, but I am seriously considering buying one.
Talking about the tactile experience, it seems to me this could be a very pleasant option, seeing how you can use all the keys for navigation and writing music. Isn't there key combos to "play" the sequencer? to select next pattern, to go to the next section, etc...? How playable is it the sequencer?

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:50 am

The sequencer isn't hard to grasp - you can do the basics pretty quickly if you poke around without a manual. It can do a lot of complex stuff if you dig deep, but overall it's pretty intuitive. Key combos are short and make sense, very little memorisation needed.

In other words, if I leave it alone for a few weeks and get back to it and still remember how to use it without resorting to the manual, I'd consider it to be pretty intuitive.

hirnlego
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hirnlego » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:54 am

mcpepe wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:33 am
I don't have a Nerdseq, but I am seriously considering buying one.
Talking about the tactile experience, it seems to me this could be a very pleasant option, seeing how you can use all the keys for navigation and writing music. Isn't there key combos to "play" the sequencer? to select next pattern, to go to the next section, etc...? How playable is it the sequencer?
Yes, there are various combos to launch/stop patterns, mute/unmute tracks, copy/paste/cut sequences, insert values... If pressing keys for everything is your cup of tea I think you will find yourself at home with it, otherwise it might end up being tiresome imho. Also, I'm not particularly fond of the buttons they chose, I think they could have made a better (and quieter) choice.
I bought the NerdSeq mainly for recording and editing sequences made with other modules so it's not a big deal, but I prefer turning knobs or moving faders ;)

mcpepe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mcpepe » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:05 am

Thanks Shiedge and hirnlego for the answers. I will have to try it, no doubt.

uniquepersonno2
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:01 pm

hirnlego wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:09 am
megarat wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:42 am
Even if I've owned mine for far less than you have I already can second your opinion: I feel the module quite unfinished and it seems to me that the development of other hardware have taken away resources from the development of the module itself. Of course I don't know how the development is actually going and what the developer will release in the next firmware, but I sure hope that he is done with new hardware for the time being :shut:

In terms of use, this is my first real experience with a tracker (not considering playing with one for half an hour when I had an Amiga) and while I really like how the information is laid out (I actually prefer the vertical scroll to the typical horizontal one) and appreciate how complex the end result may be I doubt that the lack of faders or knobs is the way to go for me, so I may probably end up removing it from the main rack and placing it in a pod as you did, to be used when I need to work on something more complex while leaving space for a more tactile and immediate form of sequencing.
What features are missing or unfinished to you? I've yet to run into anything I wish I could do with mine, but I'm mostly doing basic sequencing with it.
It's done!
...probably! Ahhh, who am I kidding...

BartBral
Common Wiggler

Post by BartBral » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:04 pm

I think that people that think the NerdSeq "feels unfinished" are just a little bit spoiled. See the NerdSeq firmware page, and remind yourself what you all have gotten EXTRA. https://xor-electronics.com/forum/forum ... php?fid=11

And yes of course there are a lot of updates that are for expander units, he still has a business to run. So he has to sell something to write firmware for. ;)

And there will always be things people want different... or sooner... but he has put so many user requests in, he can't please everybody at once. He is just one guy.

Please name a cheap and small sequencer that has the (or some) abilities of the NerdSeq? :despair:
I really want to know what you think is a good opponent. Good luck with that! :tu:

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:11 pm

The amount of firmware updates and features have just been incredible, and probably more than any other music hardware I’ve ever had. The dedication Thomas has to working on the Nerdseq is incredible.
It dosnt feel Incomplete in the least imo. Everything is there and more...
Any new hardware has not taken away from his work on the nerd. There’s have been so many updates, and there is another MAJOR one coming VERY soon he told me, and teased on Instagram recently.

I have more confidence and trust in his support and dedication to this sequencer than almost any other music hardware/company there is.

hirnlego
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hirnlego » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:08 pm

uniquepersonno2 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:01 pm
What features are missing or unfinished to you? I've yet to run into anything I wish I could do with mine, but I'm mostly doing basic sequencing with it.
I don't think that the module is missing any particular feature, in fact I think that it's packed, I just find that there are a few things that seems unfinished (or maybe just unpolished), like tables, automations, CV inputs and, personally, UX in general.
To make it clear: NerdSeq is a really powerful module and I'm happy to have bought it, I just think that the firmware may benefit from some refinement, that's all.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:42 pm

hirnlego wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:08 pm
uniquepersonno2 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:01 pm
I don't think that the module is missing any particular feature, in fact I think that it's packed, I just find that there are a few things that seems unfinished (or maybe just unpolished), like tables, automations, CV inputs and, personally, UX in general.
To make it clear: NerdSeq is a really powerful module and I'm happy to have bought it, I just think that the firmware may benefit from some refinement, that's all.
Cv input maybe could use a little work but most of the features you mentioned I find really fleshed out, maybe you just need to put more time into learning more about them? It’s a sequencer that takes time and practice to really understand how powerful it can be and what it can potentially do.

Buyakasoundman
Common Wiggler

Post by Buyakasoundman » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:47 pm

It feels “unfinished” because it isn’t. And I love that. Thomas is the model of builder/customer interaction. He blows no smoke up no ass, and consistently delivers on new features and beta bug fixes.
Nerdseq workflow may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but as a business, Thomas consistently impresses me with his patience, dedication, and ingenuity.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:58 pm

The firmware is technically unfinished. There are features planned from day 1 that are not implemented yet. Not a massive issue since 99% of it is there now, along with extra features that no one has expected. I don't blame Thomas for this, he is only one guy and at least he's consistent in his development of it.

As for the UX of the module, it really comes down if you are familiar with trackers to begin with. Personally I find it pretty easy and quick to use, but only because I have used trackers before. You can do stuff like directly record notes step by step with a MIDI keyboard, which makes creating melodies super fast. If you like twiddling knobs, obviously it's not for you, but frankly I think you lose a lot of complexity you can implement that way. Trackers offer a unique position to allow for VERY complex results relatively quickly, compared to other advanced sequencers.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:12 pm

Just curious, what are those 1% features that aren’t there yet?

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:29 pm

Small things like controller configuration, change in gate behaviour (if you want to use s-strig), launchpad integration isn't complete, recording improvements still need to be done, automation section isn't fully complete, pattern merge ability isn't implemented, some sample effects not implemented (like delay) etc.

You can argue whether these are important or not, but it does mean the firmware as originally envisioned is not complete yet. Thomas promised this will be soon however, as the last update is already starting to tie up loose ends.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:48 pm

OK, was just curious. launchpad integration wasn't a planed feature since day one was it? that was a later add? not sure if a couple other specifics were exactly planed since day one either.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:53 pm

Most of them were planned since day one.

epsteinframe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by epsteinframe » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:17 pm

There are certainly a number of things (including ones mentioned) that I'd love to see fully realized or better fleshed out, but I'd hardly say the NerdSeq itself feels unfinished. For such a small operation, I'm consistently impressed with the steady stream of innovative updates and responses to community feedback.

Honestly my biggest gripe right now is falling in love with the jog wheel from the Polyend Tracker, and missing it on the NerdSeq. Hopefully some of the updates to recording/input will allow for a decent solution.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:43 pm

Nice if they actually included CV capabilities to the Polyend Tracker. Kind of makes it a paperweight in its current state in my eyes.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”