Verbos Complex VCO died today, All noise and no waveforms

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:05 pm

akrylik wrote:
Fiddlestickz wrote:
livefreela wrote:stripped out rogans? yikes. can't say i saw that coming - that must not have been an easy feat. i have dozens of those in my studio and never managed mangle one like that - and as an arch-hamfist, i've stripped out many a knob. in that case i do apologize for giving you shit on that. maybe try enjoying the modules in the meantime - i have no doubt mark (or your dealer) could square you away with some new knobs. they're great modules, do try to enjoy your investment. my own experiences with mark have been excellent - he's always very helpful.
I have sent Verbos an email but not hopeful of any response, it's been a few days already, all I asked for was the tool they use to tighten them and 2 new knobs, these 2 I have simply don't stay on, the grub screw looks like it's been pushed in too far or is broken or something, you have to gently twirl them so they don't come off. If Verbos don't get back to me I will have to try and source 2 of those type knobs from somewhere and fix it myself..
The set screws in the rogan knobs use allen wrenches. It sounds like you are saying that the set screws on your knobs have somehow been stripped? What about the brass insert (the core of the knob) is it still there?
yes that's what I'm saying, no allen key I used could turn them they are just buried in the plastic somehow, it really is bizarre, i can't imagine what was going through the persons mind who was putting this module together, the knobs are the last two knobs to the right in the spectral tilt section, they simply sit there completely loose, the brass insert is still there yes, looking in you can see the grub just poking through but there's no way to tighten... :despair:

wselman
Common Wiggler

Post by wselman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:48 pm

Verbos will get back to you. The turn-around time is a little slower because they are a small company. I had a problem with my voltage multi-stage. It took a few days to get a response, but they paid for the postage and repaired it very quickly.

Did I take my situation to a public message board within days? No. You are engaging in behavior that has a negative impact on the reputation of perfectly fine manufacturers.

Maybe give it a few days before you pull the fire alarm?

anderson303
Veteran Wiggler

Post by anderson303 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:14 am

wselman wrote:Verbos will get back to you. The turn-around time is a little slower because they are a small company. I had a problem with my voltage multi-stage. It took a few days to get a response, but they paid for the postage and repaired it very quickly.

Did I take my situation to a public message board within days? No. You are engaging in behavior that has a negative impact on the reputation of perfectly fine manufacturers.

Love the passion for our euro makers. All these messages coming to their defense. Yeah clearly stated they wouldn't be getting back to me for a good while considering the move to Berlin but whatever.

The core source of the problem is the monorocket as we've discovered. And now my tiptop quantizer has crapped out as well (my other favorite module). Having a really bad week.

But I think we can let this thread die now no? I've got some returns to do.

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:56 am

I get all my messages from anything off the web sent to my phone, my phone is with me all the time, I suspect most people use messaging this way.. if I was running a business I would be replying even if a short note to say we'll get back to you soon.

just saying

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:46 am

wselman wrote:Verbos will get back to you. The turn-around time is a little slower because they are a small company. I had a problem with my voltage multi-stage. It took a few days to get a response, but they paid for the postage and repaired it very quickly.

I really like Verbos and I like the music Mark is making and the whole vibe of the company.

A friend with whom I make music with has a good few Verbos modules.
There was a big issue with the internal tempo of the VMS. He went through 3 units that had the same issue. the PCB on one had V8 on it.

I really want to see Verbos modules everywhere and not read negative comments regarding build quality.

Many companies suffer from this. It's when a company charges a premium that raises a few eyebrows.

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:18 am

I like Verbos too, the sound is incredible, that's why I bought it, and that's why I have bought more, I would just like a bit better customer service when you buy something brand new and pay a premium for it. You don't expect it to come with 2 loose knobs, least I didn't anyway, this could be the only problem I ever encounter with any of these modules, I hope so cause I want to love them I really do..

Brendanleespengler
Common Wiggler

Post by Brendanleespengler » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:19 pm

Has anyone else had issues with the stability of the Verbos Complex Oscillator. I know his history and that his VCO is modeled after the Buchla modules. And, it's common knowledge that the Buchla oscillators were unstable. But the extremely poor tracking and constant detuning and warbling of my Complex Oscillator HAS to be a malfunction. Anyone else experience this?
Brendan Lee Spengler / Electronic Sound Research: The Electric Cowboy, Sinner Frenz, MacMillan & Spengler, Viva L'American Death Ray Music, Teledildonics5000, etc.

muffdiver
Common Wiggler

Post by muffdiver » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:12 pm

Make sure sync and the cross modulation index are set to 0. I often forget about this when attempting get quantized note data from the CO.
---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,

---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`

Brendanleespengler
Common Wiggler

Post by Brendanleespengler » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:43 am

Yes, of course. The primary Oscillator is not being modulated by the secondary. It's a tracking issue.
However, I'm not sure how to link threads on MW, but a quick search for 'Verbos Oscillator Calibration' was immensely helpful.
Brendan Lee Spengler / Electronic Sound Research: The Electric Cowboy, Sinner Frenz, MacMillan & Spengler, Viva L'American Death Ray Music, Teledildonics5000, etc.

langley
Wiggling with Experience

Post by langley » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:47 am

To Ben fair to Mark, should this thread title not be changed? As it is, this would put me off Verbos modules. If I didn't already have two which are AMAZING.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:35 am

langley wrote:To Ben fair to Mark, should this thread title not be changed? As it is, this would put me off Verbos modules. If I didn't already have two which are AMAZING.
You may be right. After reading the thread it should be renamed in: Verbos modules do sound nice but often have production issues and you may need patience with the customer service...

I have a lot of Marks modules and I like how they sound. Even the envelope is great with all its quirks. But most of them (five out of seven) had to go back to the workshop for repair right after purchase.

I think it is neither bad faith nor coincidence that verbos threads often get into this direction. Still they mostly stay respectful because everyone loves the design - if it works.

To be fair to Mark most people point out that their issues get solved after all. And regarding all the hassle I think this is fair enough. No one seems to complain that much about production quality with most other manufacturers. He is in the business for some time now and should have learned how to do it proper by now otherwise his customers get disappointed and tell other people about it.

There is nothing to be put off though. Just inquire all the needed information about known problems and working condition when you buy used or get them from a vendor with a good warranty policy. As far as I know they even repair used modules for free when you send them in and it was a production/design flaw.

:sb:

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:48 pm

update, Verbos did finally get back to me, not Mark himself but Sonya, she asked for a proof or purchase receipt and said they will send me 2 new knobs and a hex key to tighten..

sent the receipt and now just waiting for my new knobs..

:tu:

Odan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Odan » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:10 am

I love my CO, I've had it for two years now. Sadly it's been out of the rack and away for for repair for 6 months of that.

Once with the dodgy tracking/distorted master output and currently with dead parts of the mod index section.

I've thought about divorcing it, but it keeps telling me I'll never find another complex oscillator that loves me as much as it does.

:waah:

rimbod
Common Wiggler

Post by rimbod » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:27 am

Lol, it's easy to read a thread like this and get a little paranoid. My CO has had no problems so far. It's pretty dang wild, and I love it.

In terms of instability, sure! I'm still learning my way around the device, but occasionally the left oscillator does something a bit unexpected or out of time. I find that charming, tho, and I chalk it up to character. I dunno how out of tune the right oscillator goes with temperature and whatnot, but I've noticed that some patches I keep together for a few days tends to... um.. evolve. It's really interesting, and not entirely difficult to tune back to where I originally wanted it, if necessary.

I've had no problems at all with the build quality or the knobs, so when I read some of the complaints and concerns in this thread I was sortof surprised. I suppose it's something to watch for. Then again, people complain about Makenoise knobs all the time and I have no such complaints about my Erbe Verb.

I know that at some point I'm gonna get the magic white smoke or one of my modules is going to stop working, but I've been very lucky so far. I'm just trying to keep my case out of the ocean, for the most part.

osyrus11
Learning to Wiggle

Post by osyrus11 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:18 am

I traded for a Complex oscillator and had some pitch tracking problems. contacted them several months ago about repairs (offering to pay as I'd got it second hand) and have got the same runaround as everyone else. I've met mark and Sonya and some of the others, they're good people, but there's a gaping issue with support, these are typical issues I think for small "doing it for love" type companies unfortunately. I can understand it's not their forte, but Jesus, you gotta offer decent support for equipment this expensive. No word as to what repair shop they're dealing with in the states, and I can't even get a response from them anymore. Just leaves a sour taste.

osyrus11
Learning to Wiggle

Post by osyrus11 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:20 am

I traded for a Complex oscillator and had some pitch tracking problems. contacted them several months ago about repairs (offering to pay as I'd got it second hand) and have got the same runaround as everyone else. I've met mark and Sonya and some of the others, they're good people, but there's a gaping issue with support, these are typical issues I think for small "doing it for love" type companies unfortunatel. I can understand it's not their forte, but Jesus, you gotta offer decent support for equipment this expensive. No word as to what repair shop they're dealing with in the states, and I can't even get a response from them anymore. Just leaves a sour taste.

aotte80
Learning to Wiggle

Verbos complex oscillator problem

Post by aotte80 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi all, new here so hopefully this is an ok place to post. My Verbos complex oscillator is also having issues - the frequency pot for the modulation oscillator is acting up. When turning the pot counterclockwise the rate will slow down but then speed up again. Has anyone had a similar issue? Wondering if this is something I could ask a local place to repair or if it's something I'd have to try to contact Verbos about. Hoping it's not the latter since it seems like others haven't had much luck getting in touch with him!

anderson303
Veteran Wiggler

Post by anderson303 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:45 pm

I've have even more problems since this post. became completely unusable, notes not tracking at all, nose, strange waveforms really nutty behavior until I put it in a 32hp doepfer case all by itself and that's where it's going to stay. sick of these problems but isolated on it's own power strip it seems to work like new and completely as expected

Futuresound

Post by Futuresound » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:13 pm

Threads like these (and many many others) have put me off of ever buying a Verbos module.

Now, I completely understand that one shouldn't jump to conclusions based off of one thing they read online somewhere. I really do, part of my job is to read and monitor customer feedback for consumer products, and I try to be very conscious of the fact that discussion on the internet heavily self-selects for people with problems.

But there are LOT of threads like this about Verbos stuff. And at this point, I think the damage is done - the perception now exists that the modules are unreliable. Even if this is undeserved, to me it seems that the company needs to double down on QC to ensure that not a single faulty module ships ever again. Anything else is simply going to cause these threads to keep popping up, and the perception will remain forever.

Their stuff sounds amazing though.

Brendanleespengler
Common Wiggler

Post by Brendanleespengler » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:12 pm

anderson303 wrote:I've have even more problems since this post. became completely unusable, notes not tracking at all, nose, strange waveforms really nutty behavior until I put it in a 32hp doepfer case all by itself and that's where it's going to stay. sick of these problems but isolated on it's own power strip it seems to work like new and completely as expected
Verbos is doing repairs via a tech at Control in Brooklyn. Communicating through Sonya and sending the module to Control, I had my second hand CO serviced for free real quick. I only paid $10 for shipping. It was acting exactly the same, and a new case seemed to work as well, but the module soon resumed its issues. They seem like great folks, too bad they've had some bad runs.

aotte80
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aotte80 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:17 pm

Brendanleespengler wrote:
anderson303 wrote:I've have even more problems since this post. became completely unusable, notes not tracking at all, nose, strange waveforms really nutty behavior until I put it in a 32hp doepfer case all by itself and that's where it's going to stay. sick of these problems but isolated on it's own power strip it seems to work like new and completely as expected
Verbos is doing repairs via a tech at Control in Brooklyn. Communicating through Sonya and sending the module to Control, I had my second hand CO serviced for free real quick. I only paid $10 for shipping. It was acting exactly the same, and a new case seemed to work as well, but the module soon resumed its issues. They seem like great folks, too bad they've had some bad runs.
Thanks so much for this info - will try contacting Control and keep my fingers crossed...

Return to “Eurorack Modules”