Verbos Complex VCO died today, All noise and no waveforms

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

anderson303
Veteran Wiggler

Verbos Complex VCO died today, All noise and no waveforms

Post by anderson303 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:10 am

So My indispensable Complex VCO just all of the sudden started outputting only noise... none of the waveforms are making anything but radio signal sounding noise. I've been using it every day and it's always been fine?

Seems like Mark Verbos is relocating to Germany so there will be no tech support.

akrylik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Verbos Complex VCO died today, All noise and no waveform

Post by akrylik » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:18 am

anderson303 wrote:So My indispensable Complex VCO just all of the sudden started outputting only noise... none of the waveforms are making anything but radio signal sounding noise. I've been using it every day and it's always been fine?

Seems like Mark Verbos is relocating to Germany so there will be no tech support.
What happened when you contacted tech support via the email listed on their website?

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:55 am

anderson303 wrote:So My indispensable Complex VCO just all of the sudden started outputting only noise... none of the waveforms are making anything but radio signal sounding noise. I've been using it every day and it's always been fine?

As far as I know they stated that of course there will still be tech support. As there was for europeans while they where located in the US.

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:21 am

let me know if you get a reply, I sent them an email or 2 today as a brand new module i bought the knobs simply fell off when unpacking it..

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:23 am

Some people have gotten great service from mark. I've not been one of them....if you go to his place, expect the best. If trying to actually get a reply to a question, expect to wait a while from previous experience

Synesthesia
Northern Light Modular

Post by Synesthesia » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:46 am

I've contacted them via the webform for a know issue on a Dual Pole ( noise issue on linear power supply ) on the 28/01 and again on the 02/02.

No answer so far, but has their automatic message states :
Verbos Electronics is in the process of relocating to Berlin from New York!
We will start working out of our Kreuzberg location in mid-February. We are partnering up with a US repair shop in February.

Email, info@verboselectronics.com with any questions.

Please excuse our delay replies.

Thanks for all the support!

Best,
Sonya + Mark Verbos

tilbury
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tilbury » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:58 am

damn. have heard a story too many about bad verbos build quality, and now sub-par support as well? doesn't sound like a company that should charge what they do for their modules, but what do i know.

MRoyce
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MRoyce » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:12 am

I'm wondering, does Mark produce all the modules himself or is he using a turnkey provider, such as Darkplace or WMD? In which case it might be possible to turn to those guys while Mark is in the process of moving and setting up shop.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:36 am

MRoyce wrote:I'm wondering, does Mark produce all the modules himself or is he using a turnkey provider, such as Darkplace or WMD? In which case it might be possible to turn to those guys while Mark is in the process of moving and setting up shop.
As far as I know they do everything themselves in their workshop.

Synesthesia
Northern Light Modular

Post by Synesthesia » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:31 am

Just for the record - my issue isn't really due to bad quality - it's jus t a design issue on early models which was fixed pretty fast on subsequent models :)

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:34 am

I'm really hesitant to buy any more Verbos modules, I have waited for ages to be able to afford them and the first one I receive literally falls apart when I pull it out the box.. :despair:

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:46 am

Yeah this makes me slightly frightened for me Harmonic Oscillator. I hope they get back to you soon.
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

Etan
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Etan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:52 am

Lots of weird stories about Verbos modules around here. Looks like there is something seriously wrong with their quality control.
Last edited by Etan on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gordon Cole
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gordon Cole » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:54 am

Bought one of the first batch of his envelope module and it arrived with a problem with the decay time (didn't decay smoothy just spit out what sounded like noise instead of an envelope shape). He confirmed it was a problem and it shouldn't have arrived like that. I shipped it back at my expense. When it was repaired, he sent it back and did not declare it as parts, repair, gift or anything else that would indicate that it was something I had already paid taxes on once (I don't live in the USA)- so I was taxed $100 when I claimed the parcel. So for something that was shipped to me defective - I then had to pay out of pocket to ship back, and then was taxed on top of that. He stopped responding to any emails I sent when I let him know what happened. Not even, hey man thats a shitty situation but i can't help you. Just dead air. Felt like a real lack of respect for the customer.

I also had a sequencer that wouldn't fire off the gate on the first step when it was reset, and had a module ship with a loose knob that fell off.

I sold the modules after that experience - I don't want something in the studio that makes me angry when I look at it.

anderson303
Veteran Wiggler

Post by anderson303 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:11 pm

akrylik wrote: What happened when you contacted tech support via the email listed on their website?
We will start working out of our Kreuzberg location in mid-February. We are partnering up with a US repair shop in February.

Email, info at verboselectronics dot com (I don't want them to get spam so I altered the address) with any questions.

Please excuse our delay replies.

anderson303
Veteran Wiggler

Post by anderson303 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:15 pm

I use this thing every day. Really sucks.

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:33 pm

the cost of these modules is in the very top range, they are all smt, I'm not sure I see where the extra cost of making them is comparatively to a lot of other modules, it's such a bad experience to save and save and then have your excitement popped like a balloon when you discover they appear to be lacking in quality workmanship..

I have a Tone controller on route and then the bark filter and dual pole filter module to complete the Verbos plan in my system, fingers crossed they don't have issues..

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:10 pm

Not helpful I know, but I've had nothing but good experiences with Mark and his modules. Like most things, I think more people are vocal when things go wrong then when they go right, so I'll tell my story. I owned a brand new Harmonic Osc but sold it. Then 3 days later I was like what in the F'n hell did I just do? I bought a used one the next day. Width control wasn't working correctly. I contacted Verbos, got a reply a couple days later inviting me to the shop. Went in, had some good conversation while Mark fixed it. When I decided to build an all Verbos rig, I ended up buying the rest of the modules from Dan at Detroit Modular. He's a great dude and takes care of his customers. Luckily I haven't had any problems with any of the modules but I know if I did, even a year later, that Dan would help me get it fixed. I did find the modules on the BST forum for less than I paid but knowing I have the support is worth it to me, for these modules anyway.

Sucks that there's some of you with terrible experiences, I would hope that you have a trusted dealer to call on to help but I know that's not always the case.

rgcmusic
Common Wiggler

Post by rgcmusic » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:09 am

So far I'm having good luck with my Complex Oscillator. I am worried about the future purchases though. Let me know how things end up for you.

anderson303
Veteran Wiggler

Post by anderson303 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:25 am

so bizarre, I plug it into a different socket.. it works for a minute, and the it doesnt' again...
Last edited by anderson303 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

akrylik
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by akrylik » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:40 am

anderson303 wrote:OK, well... It looks like this was yet again a power issue... tonight I thought, why not try a different socket in my monorocket case... It worked!?

I don't get it, but it's back online so long as I don't plug it in to the socket it was plugged into!?

Who's to blame, Monorocket or Verbos? I guess I could try troubleshooting it by trying other VCOs in the "bad" socket but I just want to make some tunes.
If you care about your system, then you should definitely bite the bullet and get to the root of the problem.

livefreela
Wiggling with Experience

Post by livefreela » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:44 am

dude - it's literally a matter of popping the knob back on the shaft and tightening the set screw with those rogans. you don't even have to align the thing because verbos uses d-shaft pots. i'd hardly qualify that as a module "falling apart".
Fiddlestickz wrote:I'm really hesitant to buy any more Verbos modules, I have waited for ages to be able to afford them and the first one I receive literally falls apart when I pull it out the box.. :despair:

anderson303
Veteran Wiggler

Post by anderson303 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:47 am

Scratch all that.. stopped working again in the monorocket.. Plugged it into a doepfer mini case and all was fine..

All I can tell right now is that 25+ modules work just fine plugged into the monorocket except for this Verbos VCO that will only work by itself in a mini doepfer 32hp case..

Which is not ideal.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:00 am

anderson303 wrote:Scratch all that.. stopped working again in the monorocket.. Plugged it into a doepfer mini case and all was fine..

All I can tell right now is that 25+ modules work just fine plugged into the monorocket except for this Verbos VCO that will only work by itself in a mini doepfer 32hp case..

Which is not ideal.
Maybe it's not the case but the power supply - I have quite some modules that work only in a case with linear PSU.

anderson303
Veteran Wiggler

Post by anderson303 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:06 am

So, I put the verbos back into the monorocket and wiggled the midi/din cable to get it to work in the case.. At a loss for words here... while none of my other modules are sensitive to power cord wiggles, just the verbos is? I need an electrician to figure this shit out.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”