MakeNoise Morphagene

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

lohacker
Ultra Wiggler

Post by lohacker » Tue May 21, 2019 6:16 am

mother misty wrote:I'm not sure if this is the place to request new features, but i would love to see the following if there ever comes an update

Give us a little bit more freedom in naming the reels.

As of now we are forced to name our reels mga, mgb, mgc, ... this is highly inconvenient for back-ups or even figure out who made a reel after the name has been changed.
It would be nice if everything after the first 3 digits was ignored for example by the firmware or any other solution that gives us a bit more freedom to name the reels.
+1

lorenzo-s
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lorenzo-s » Fri May 24, 2019 4:54 pm

Hi everyone! I made an Android app for quickly change the options.txt file of the Morphagene, and save them back on the SD card. You can find more info and how to partecipate the beta on this Reddit post. I'm going to start a new thread for feedbacks, instead of hijacking this one, as soon as I reach 2 posts count.

Edit: here is the topic on this forum. For any question or feedback, please reply there!
Last edited by lorenzo-s on Fri May 24, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Fri May 24, 2019 4:58 pm

lorenzo-s wrote:Hi everyone! I made an Android app for quickly change the options.txt file of the Morphagene, and save them back on the SD card. You can find more info and how to partecipate the beta on this Reddit post. I'm going to start a new thread for feedbacks, instead of hijacking this one, as soon as I reach 2 posts count.
Hey that's a really great idea! Sounds very promising :tu:

vnsc
Common Wiggler

Post by vnsc » Fri May 24, 2019 8:25 pm

Question for you savvy folks!

If I have my sample playing FWD, with original pitch (green), and want to flip a switch/turn a knob/press a button/use CV to PRECISELY shift/slide to REV/same pitch (green), what sort of utilities would I need to use?
Of course, this is manually possible with the F/R knob, but it's very touchy to get it to the exact pitch without often bumping around off-semitones, which can throw off live performance/recording pretty drastically.

In other words - what's best way to get from FWD/green to REV/green with precise CV/control?

Thanks!

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm » Fri May 24, 2019 9:42 pm

vnsc wrote:
In other words - what's best way to get from FWD/green to REV/green with precise CV/control?

Thanks!
this is what i do/have done

positive offset from maths ch3 (or you could use anything that outputs a stead voltage ie quadratt, shades, etc) > buffered mult (you might not need this, but may help if a droop doesn't get voltage exact reverse or fwd when you switch) > mute module of some kind (could also use a switch or vca i suppose, just something that will offer you immediate on/off options) > morphagene varispeed in w/ cv knob all the way negative

donrock
Common Wiggler

Post by donrock » Sat May 25, 2019 1:52 am

vnsc wrote:Question for you savvy folks!

If I have my sample playing FWD, with original pitch (green), and want to flip a switch/turn a knob/press a button/use CV to PRECISELY shift/slide to REV/same pitch (green), what sort of utilities would I need to use?
Of course, this is manually possible with the F/R knob, but it's very touchy to get it to the exact pitch without often bumping around off-semitones, which can throw off live performance/recording pretty drastically.

Thanks!
I do this with tetrapad’s voltages mode - I use it to get normal, octave up, octave down, rev normal, rev octave up, rev octave down, stop, and lowest pitch possible (there’s 8 buttons).

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Sun May 26, 2019 11:25 pm

donrock wrote:
vnsc wrote:Question for you savvy folks!

Thanks!
I do this with tetrapad’s voltages mode - I use it to get normal, octave up, octave down, rev normal, rev octave up, rev octave down, stop, and lowest pitch possible (there’s 8 buttons).
I use Meng qi voltage memory. Pressure Points could do it as well.

TEKBRAIN
Common Wiggler

Post by TEKBRAIN » Mon May 27, 2019 12:07 pm

And Frames and Sequence Selector and René (probably easier with the first version)

vnsc
Common Wiggler

Post by vnsc » Mon May 27, 2019 4:04 pm

Awesome! Thanks all. I figured it had something to do with on/offing a static voltage but this is great to find so many different ways to do so (:

lorenzo-s
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lorenzo-s » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:09 am

lorenzo-s wrote:Hi everyone! I made an Android app for quickly change the options.txt file of the Morphagene, and save them back on the SD card.
As suggested, I made a web version to give Window, Mac and Linux users a similar tool that runs on every browser. It has the same features and user interface of the app, the only difference is that there's no automatic load / save of the file from the SD card: https://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/morphagene/

Here's the link to the dedicated topic on this forum. For any question or feedback, please reply there!

minigmgoit
Common Wiggler

Post by minigmgoit » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:55 pm

I've just got a Morphagene
It's a total headfuck to use but already I can see the huge potential with my guitars, cello and piano. This one is a game changer for me and has already completely changed the way I approach my synth.
I'm going to need to buy a decent preamp and line level seems to be a bit iffy. I channelling a serious Seefeel vibe with it and am tempted to hit up some other muso friends (drummer and bass player) to really take this some place else. I'm interested in a QuBit too as they seem to do different things, with the QuBit looking even more versatile.

Anyway, I'm going to read through this topic now and take a look at what you've been working out with it.

Cheers

jnduffie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jnduffie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:31 pm

The Morphagene can definitely do Seefeel. (Love the reference!)

It seems like a headfuck at first — and the key combinations don’t help — but once you start playing with it, it’s exceptionally playable. The interface is surprisingly elegant once you get the feel.

Good luck — and if you’re looking for inspiration, there’s a great thread that’s entirely dedicated to Morphagene compositions — lots of great inspiration!

minigmgoit
Common Wiggler

Post by minigmgoit » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:28 am

So I spent some quality time with my Morphagene and guitar and I’m now fully rocking it. It’s actually a very simple module but what it does it does well. It’s quite simply a joy and has already become the focus of my tracks. This has resulted in a far more fluid and “musical” outcome. I’m genuinely excited by it. I must admit that this was the module I saw come out prior to starting my modular journey that made me really want to do it. I have essentially been chasing something like this for, well, decades.

And let’s talk Seefeel. Climactic Phase #3 is still on heavy rotation in 2019 in my world. If I could make something that comes close to that I’m winning. For me it’s up there with the best music ever made. I can only imagine how they felt creating it. Quique is just the most psychedelic and mind blowing album ever made. It’s my sensibilities down to a tee. I loved its sound before I’d ever heard it. It’s one of “those” albums for me.

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:27 pm

I love those records. A bit overshadowed production-wise by the budget and bluster of Kevin Shields (sorry kev i love you m8) especially when it turned out it was just a bunch of distortion pedals. God knows how Seefeel did some of those things, at least that’s my memory anyway!

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:29 pm

I’ve also got a Nebulae 2 and the Morphagene is the more jammable and friendly of the two... The Nebulae is sort of supercharged but requires a bit of specific intent...

zhangstefan
1-Post Wiggler

Post by zhangstefan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:41 am

Hey Guys,

I recorded 2 sample of what's happening with the Morphagene I just got, you can hear there is a 'high pitched noise' coming from the circuit, nothing has been plugged in. The 1st recording was me trying to record splice, you can hear there are: 1. constant high-pitched noise, 2. almost 'clock sound-like' noise, 3. very noisy sound when I click 'REC'. The 2nd recording was me trying to 'auto-levelling' by Hold the REC Button and press the Shift Button, you can hear that noise.
Thanks.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:30 am

jnduffie wrote: It seems like a headfuck at first — and the key combinations don’t help — but once you start playing with it, it’s exceptionally playable. The interface is surprisingly elegant once you get the feel.
how much time would you guess Guys that it would take me to get *into* the Morphagene and how the knobs etc. work ?

lets count it in evenings/jamms of 60-90 minutes.
how many evenings/jamms ?

(i´m a stupid* on modules that feel iuninspiring to me and i must guess that the morphagene would feel uninspiring at first.
*read: i focus then on what i can do, and make music ....vs. going to learn something ........)

2. could the morphagene be for me ?

mutedial
Common Wiggler

Post by mutedial » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:26 pm

I am biased as I find the morphagene very inspiring and it completely shifted how I used my eurorack.

I do think it's pretty immediate and sitting down with the manual for an hour should be sufficient (although there are things like preparing samples in advance I haven't tried yet).

The big issue is figuring out how to use it within the context of what you use your eurorack for. I've seen many people use it as a kind of FX, which I struggled with at first (although I've recently gone back to this a bit, the Loopop video is useful for demonstrating various kinds of delays it can be used for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPE5fy5g0_E).

When I treated it as a sound source, as the starting point, it really clicked for me.

There is some complexity with the various options that can be changed with the new firmware, and that can require some experimentation and knowledge of how it fits in your workflow.

Have you previously used phonogene?

Granular
Common Wiggler

Post by Granular » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:56 pm

Going to install my first Eurorack tomorrow and i got a Question concerning
the ribbon Connector cable on the Morphagene. Don't want to wreck my module.

In the Manual there's a picture showing the Connector on the Module.

Morphagene Manula Connection

On the Picture the Cable goes over the Module from left to right (with Red Stripe down). But when I use the Cable supplied with the Module the Cable goes to the left (away from the Module) with red Stripe down.

I'm a bit worried, so anyone can solve this "mystery" for me? :hmm:

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:13 pm

mutedial wrote:........ the Loopop video is useful for demonstrating various kinds of delays it can be used for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPE5fy5g0_E).
Thats a good link ! i had a short view but need to look a bit moe thorough.......
mutedial wrote: When I treated it as a sound source, as the starting point, it really clicked for me.
i´m interested to mangle samples
mutedial wrote: There is some complexity with the various options that can be changed with the new firmware, and that can require some experimentation and knowledge of how it fits in your workflow.

Have you previously used phonogene?
No, never used a Phonogene.

ok, i remeber that part.
Guess the additional features brought the MG to a state where it became interesting for me,
but the complexity and reported confusion back then led me to turn away.

Thanks for the feedback mutedial !

wiggies
Common Wiggler

Post by wiggies » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:15 pm

Just match the red stripe to -12 v. The direction the cable wants to lie in just depends on how the connector was attached.

Granular
Common Wiggler

Post by Granular » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:20 pm

wiggies wrote:Just match the red stripe to -12 v. The direction the cable wants to lie in just depends on how the connector was attached.
Great! Thank you.

So then its ok that the cable lies to the left :yay:

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:38 am

mutedial wrote: The big issue is figuring out how to use it within the context of what you use your eurorack for. I've seen many people use it as a kind of FX, which I struggled with at first (although I've recently gone back to this a bit, the Loopop video is useful for demonstrating various kinds of delays it can be used for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPE5fy5g0_E).
I kind of agree, allthough I don't see it much as an "issue" because it's so flexible.
What i really love about morphagene is that it can replace the need for particular modules or sounds you're after.
I was looking for a drum/percussion module, but a reel with about 300 of the kind of drum/perc sounds i'm after gets me pretty far, if i split it into 2 mono's channels i can even double that to around 600 and have 2 individual outputs. I would love to have a filter that does great pinging, or a E-352 for those lovely morph sounds, but i feel like a reel full of the pinging sounds i'm after might take that need away. I know it's not the real thing, but as they are samples it gives you options you don't have on the 'original', like reversing or timestretching for example.
Another way i love to approach it, is to use the morphagene EOG output (which outputs a gate at the end of each splice) to clock your system. If you have a reel with (drum)loops and multiply that EOG clock output X 4 to trigger a kick, it becomes a great source for all kinds of wonky rhythms and pretty flexible too, you could even make something krell-based with that EOG output :)

twitchy_one
Learning to Wiggle

Post by twitchy_one » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:43 pm

Does anyone happen to know what the maximum size is for the Micro SD card that the Morphagene can use? I couldn't find it in the manual and was curious to find out if it had an upper limit seeing as how large those Micro SD cards can get.

Best,
Twitchy

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:12 am

The formatting of the microSD must be FAT32, and fat32 has 32GB max partition size.

But since the MG can only manage 32 reels of 2.9 minutes in 32-bit 48000HZ you won't even be able to fill those 32GB

Return to “Eurorack Modules”