Turning a LC3 case into a skiff

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

ghostly606
Common Wiggler

Turning a LC3 case into a skiff

Post by ghostly606 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:24 pm

I want to reduce the depth of my Doepfer LC3 case and turn it into a shallow skiff to house a Pressure Points etc to use with my main rack. I have zero carpentry nous, what would be the best / easiest way to do this? :help:

sackley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sackley » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:40 pm

Table saw, screw gun, drill bits, someone with basic woodworking skills.

ghostly606
Common Wiggler

Post by ghostly606 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:06 pm

So a tablesaw could do it without dismantling first?

nigel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nigel » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:13 pm

ghostly606 wrote:So a tablesaw could do it without dismantling first?
No...
It looks like the back panel is the full width and height of the box, which is handy. This is how I would (try to) do it:
* remove all the power supply circuitry. You can probably leave the rails in place.
* if the back is screwed to the frame, remove the screws.
* cut around the top/bottom/sides of the box very close to the back panel.
* cut around the top/bottom/sides NEATLY at the required depth.
* chisel / sand the bits of top/bottom/side panels from the back panel, so that it is nice and flat again.
* glue (and possibly screw) the back panel onto the shallow box.
* replace power supply.

Of course, if you can do that without making a mess, you can probably just build a shallower box and swap over the power supply and rails.

sackley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sackley » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:34 pm

Depends on how it's assembled. Nigels' suggestion would probably be the neatest result, especially if the back does unscrew.

If not, you could unscrew the rails and cut the front back to the depth you desire in a table saw, and then use the cut-offs to re-drill the rail mounting holes. You'd probably want to sand and clean up the "new" front edge, as well. (I'd probably take the psu out, too)

ghostly606
Common Wiggler

Post by ghostly606 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:39 pm

The PSU will be coming out to power a bigger case I am getting so will be removed anyway. Will be getting a uZeus or similar.

Never thought to take the back off and then cut the sides, makes a lot of sense as the front will be all neat and bevelled. Unfortunately there are no screws in sight, the case is glued, possibly with dowels.

Going to have a think whether worth the effort seeing as I'll possibly bodge it up anyway. Could maybe just get some end cheeks to use with the rails.

Ramases
Common Wiggler

Post by Ramases » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:59 pm

With zero carpentry skills, I think selling the LC3 and buying a skiff might be a good option.

Or, as you say, use the hardware and buy suitable end cheeks or maybe get a local carpenter to make a skiff size box for them.

ghostly606
Common Wiggler

Post by ghostly606 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:12 pm

Ramases wrote:With zero carpentry skills, I think selling the LC3 and buying a skiff might be a good option.

Or, as you say, use the hardware and buy suitable end cheeks or maybe get a local carpenter to make a skiff size box for them.
I think you might be right, think I'll get end checks and see what I can get on eBay for the bare wooden box. Although I'd be keen to get some carpentry skills at some point, don't think this is the right project.

Thanks for all the help folks.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”