Malekko Heavy Industries Voltage Block

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:17 pm

slidearind wrote: I have checked the manual. It doesn't seem possible, but I was hoping someone had discovered a work-around.

Thanks!
a workaround for something like that would be pretty advanced, you mean CV/Clock should be a CV-recorder + it should also be able to play this CV in sync? I do agree it's something i'd really love to have though, but most likely not possible.

tasun
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tasun » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:36 pm

Hello everyone,

From time to time my voltage freezes. It acts as it isn't receiving any trigger / clock (in clk mode). I've tried to put in different clocks / triggers from other modules. However, nothing helps except of full reboot of my system. Have you experienced the same issue?

kingmaxwell
Common Wiggler

Post by kingmaxwell » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:12 pm

My Quad Clock Distributer seems to clock my Voltage Block from the bus. Is this normal? Similar for other people?

I'm actually sort of pleased since it saves me a spot in the QCD. My understanding was that this was a benefit of the Voltage Block/Varigate 8 relationship. Is this because they both (4MS and Malekko) come from Portland?

createsounds
Wiggling with Experience

Post by createsounds » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:52 pm

tasun wrote:Hello everyone,

From time to time my voltage freezes. It acts as it isn't receiving any trigger / clock (in clk mode). I've tried to put in different clocks / triggers from other modules. However, nothing helps except of full reboot of my system. Have you experienced the same issue?
Yup.
in clock, cv and slave modes.

ill assume you also have to power cycle to get it moving again?

kingmaxwell wrote:My Quad Clock Distributer seems to clock my Voltage Block from the bus. Is this normal? Similar for other people?

I'm actually sort of pleased since it saves me a spot in the QCD. My understanding was that this was a benefit of the Voltage Block/Varigate 8 relationship. Is this because they both (4MS and Malekko) come from Portland?
i was told from PCA that it'll take clock from anything that send over rails.

dranore
1-Post Wiggler

Post by dranore » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:06 am

So I registered to ask this question:

Is there a way to set up a channel to allow you to just play the notes you've recorded while the rest of the channels run on the clock?

I realize that's not really what it's for, but I'm trying to keep my setup as small as possible. I'm hoping there's some way to do it. The manual and video tutorials I've seen have left me scratching my head.

PS - I know you can make it appregiate a step or between steps but they still trigger on the clock. Is there a way to clock divide down to zero or something?

createsounds
Wiggling with Experience

Post by createsounds » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:11 am

dranore wrote:So I registered to ask this question:

Is there a way to set up a channel to allow you to just play the notes you've recorded while the rest of the channels run on the clock?

I realize that's not really what it's for, but I'm trying to keep my setup as small as possible. I'm hoping there's some way to do it. The manual and video tutorials I've seen have left me scratching my head.

PS - I know you can make it appregiate a step or between steps but they still trigger on the clock. Is there a way to clock divide down to zero or something?
sorry I'm not really sure what you mean?

like sustain a note or freeze a note while the other channels play on with the sequence?

tasun
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tasun » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:30 am

Yes, that's the only solution which I found so far. However, you don't want that happening during live / recording.
createsounds wrote:
tasun wrote:Hello everyone,

Yup.
in clock, cv and slave modes.

ill assume you also have to power cycle to get it moving again?

createsounds
Wiggling with Experience

Post by createsounds » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:21 am

tasun wrote:Yes, that's the only solution which I found so far. However, you don't want that happening during live / recording.
thats why mine has been comfortably settling into the bottom of the electronics recycling bin after fewer than 24hr. total use.

but hey, i got a power ribbon, and some malekko stickers
can't beat that deal for 350$!

-maybe malekko will actual acknowledge your email..
they haven't mine (over 3mnths)

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:39 am

createsounds wrote:
thats why mine has been comfortably settling into the bottom of the electronics recycling bin after fewer than 24hr. total use.

you bought used? i've just returned modules i'm not happy with, never any problem.. I'm always handing them very carefully until i know i really want it in my rack.

Voltage Block is probably in my top 3 of modules that i have, use it in every patch. it's sad that so many seems to have problems with both varigate and volt. block and that malekko doesnt seem interested.

tenshun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tenshun » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:05 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
createsounds wrote:

you bought used? i've just returned modules i'm not happy with, never any problem.. I'm always handing them very carefully until i know i really want it in my rack.

Voltage Block is probably in my top 3 of modules that i have, use it in every patch. it's sad that so many seems to have problems with both varigate and volt. block and that malekko doesnt seem interested.
I like my voltage block and never had any problems with it.

I use it for live performing and its works easy on the fly for sequencing.

I did have a problem with buying a used varigate 4 from someone that did not mention that the first slider was faulty.
After numerous un answered emails to malekko i decided to fixit myself with a replacement slider from mouser.

createsounds
Wiggling with Experience

Post by createsounds » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:12 pm

tenshun wrote: After numerous un answered emails to malekko.
thats the worst part...

-no, i bought new, but by the time, would've paid restocking, and shipping time (4x).
i honestly assumed the shop would've offered to exchange it but they didn't,
my solution is to not support malekko

i honestly wonder do their fx pedal & fx pedal users have such annoy experiences. i doubt it.

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:27 pm

createsounds wrote:
tasun wrote:Yes, that's the only solution which I found so far. However, you don't want that happening during live / recording.

who did you contact? as listed earlier in the thread paul@malekkoheavyindustry.com is the best way to get help
works for Darkplace Manufacturing

createsounds
Wiggling with Experience

Post by createsounds » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:57 pm

I honestly haven't read 17 pages of the thread.
- I'll give that a try.
- my contacts attempts were via the website, which logically one would assume is the most appropriate attempt at communication with a manufacturer. As not everyone scours random forums in attempt to find out why something they just bought new is broken.

I do appreciate the tip tho.

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:25 pm

createsounds wrote:I honestly haven't read 17 pages of the thread.
- I'll give that a try.
- my contacts attempts were via the website, which logically one would assume is the most appropriate attempt at communication with a manufacturer. As not everyone scours random forums in attempt to find out why something they just bought new is broken.

the website one doesn't seem to be working correctly, as I know they don't just ignore people. If they don't respond they probably aren't getting the email. I work there and will bring up the fact that the website email isn't working for some, check spam folders, etc

createsounds
Wiggling with Experience

Post by createsounds » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:45 am

rico loverde wrote:
- I'll give that a try.

the website one doesn't seem to be working correctly, as I know they don't just ignore people. If they don't respond they probably aren't getting the email. I work there and will bring up the fact that the website email isn't working for some, check spam folders, etc

that would be a good idea, thats not meant to be sarcastic, i can see how it could read that way..

the main issue is that with mine the malfunctions only manifest after being on and running for a fair amount of time (3+hrs), so even when i sent it back to the retailer they couldn't reproduce. as they said they can't put 3-4hrs into a tech twiddling on a module. which i understand. but still a bummer.

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:32 am

There's is also a phone number on the contact page. While I know that may be harder for people out of country. If you've sent numerous emails without any response I'd try calling. Malekko has always taken care of their customers problems (within reason obviously) and again I just want to stress they don't ignore problems. We truly want our customers happy. As I said earlier in the thread not many of us are on muffs anymore. I try to check it when I can but that's usually on my own time and after a 40hr work week this is not my first choice for relaxing....anyways, hope everyone gets their problems sorted out. :love:

createsounds
Wiggling with Experience

Post by createsounds » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:21 am

rico loverde wrote:There's is also a phone number on the contact page. While I know that may be harder for people out of country. If you've sent numerous emails without any response I'd try calling. Malekko has always taken care of their customers problems (within reason obviously) and again I just want to stress they don't ignore problems. We truly want our customers happy. As I said earlier in the thread not many of us are on muffs anymore. I try to check it when I can but that's usually on my own time and after a 40hr work week this is not my first choice for relaxing....anyways, hope everyone gets their problems sorted out. :love:
i appreciate the tips,
i called the # a few times.

THIS ISNT MEANT TO BE SHITTING ON MALEKKO (or you)BY ANY MEANS BUT MORE OF A COMMENT ON THE GENERAL EXPECTATIONS OF THE GENERAL CONSUMER.

i don't expect anyone from Malekko to look at the forum, but honestly as a consumer, i do expect customer service from a company that sells through out lets like guitar center and Musicians Friend.
IMO when/if a company is distributing on the levels of those large retailer & a fully functioning tech support form on their site and a person to goes over that, as their FT job, seems logic.

that being said i understand that funds are misallocated into other things rather that customer service. even with much larger and mainstream commodities manufacturers.
so i don't hold a grudge, just consider it during future endeavors.

tasun
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tasun » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:27 pm

Yes, same happens to me. I need to have it running for considerable amount of time as well. So its kinda rare, however it shouldn't happen at all. Did you try to feed it from different power source? I'm using Synthrotek super power blue.
createsounds wrote:
rico loverde wrote:
- I'll give that a try.

that would be a good idea, thats not meant to be sarcastic, i can see how it could read that way..

the main issue is that with mine the malfunctions only manifest after being on and running for a fair amount of time (3+hrs), so even when i sent it back to the retailer they couldn't reproduce. as they said they can't put 3-4hrs into a tech twiddling on a module. which i understand. but still a bummer.

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:49 pm

hello... are the big light buttons latching buttons like 4ms matrix vca or not?

reodjectz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by reodjectz » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:23 am

droningsphagettimonster wrote:hello... are the big light buttons latching buttons like 4ms matrix vca or not?
Not physically latching, no. But some settings will keep the button lit. o
What are you getting at - why would you want to latch the 'div' button?

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:46 pm

reodjectz wrote:
droningsphagettimonster wrote:hello... are the big light buttons latching buttons like 4ms matrix vca or not?
oh, i just wanted to know because the latching buttons on my 4ms vca are unreliable, i've had two modules and both of them have at least 3 broken latch buttons. i just always have them latched down and ignore the mute function... but the routing / functionality of the module itself is great. happy to hear the buttons dont latch, thank you for confirming. :omg:

reodjectz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by reodjectz » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:40 am

droningsphagettimonster wrote:
reodjectz wrote:
oh, i just wanted to know because the latching buttons on my 4ms vca are unreliable, i've had two modules and both of them have at least 3 broken latch buttons. i just always have them latched down and ignore the mute function... but the routing / functionality of the module itself is great. happy to hear the buttons dont latch, thank you for confirming. :omg:
Ah gotcha (that happened with the mutes on my dubmix so I feel your pain). Glad I could help.

candlescandal
Common Wiggler

Post by candlescandal » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:18 pm

When a slider is moved it seems that the output of that channel changes regardless of the clock. Is there a way to make the output of the channel whose slider is being moved quantized to the clock? This way the melody you create by moving the slider sounds the same as what is actually recorded. This would make VB a great performance tool.

osyrus11
Learning to Wiggle

Post by osyrus11 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:07 pm

any word on updates regarding some of the bugs people have been reporting here?

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:57 pm

really love the voltage block, but the more i use it the more i wish for:
- changing voltage scale to 1v, 2v, 5v (similar to korg SQ-1)
- pattern length per channel. It could be controlled similar to how scale is set, press length then adjust slider to set length
- clock division per channel.
- ability to 'tie' steps, so that step N has the same values as step N-1. Or a general way to copy a CV value from one step to another

Return to “Eurorack Modules”