New Akemies Taiko - ALM Busy Circuits

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

quadrupole
Common Wiggler

Post by quadrupole » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:57 am

Nice work, mikmanner! Sounds great. Love akemies taiko. Such cool and surprising module. I wish I had gotten earlier in my modular journey.

Just curious, what was the melodic sequence from?

mikmanner
Common Wiggler

Post by mikmanner » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:48 pm

quadrupole wrote:Nice work, mikmanner! Sounds great. Love akemies taiko. Such cool and surprising module. I wish I had gotten earlier in my modular journey.

Just curious, what was the melodic sequence from?
DPO going into Streams :)

mikmanner
Common Wiggler

Post by mikmanner » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:24 pm

Another video - I'll stop for now haha - Here's Akemie's Taiko going into Rings, they make for a nice pair :)
Last edited by mikmanner on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:36 pm

Shiiiiiiiiit

I always wanted that module and today I had it in the mail. It is so good!
The sonic character of this thing is so fantastic. It cuts thru the mix like a heated samurai sword thru butter. no resistance.
The usage with the latched CVs and parameter jumps needs some getting used too, but actually that makes using random weirdness less annoying.
I haven't bought it for much glitchy modulation, I just wanted a module that delivered percussion sounds I can build stoic techno upon. (and I think it does this so well)
Last edited by kay_k on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:36 pm

ouch

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:51 pm

this is ONLY Akemie's Taiko, no other sound source.

amop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by amop » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:20 am

thetwlo wrote:this is ONLY Akemie's Taiko, no other sound source.
That’s really interesting! Any details on the patch?

muddy ranks
Common Wiggler

Post by muddy ranks » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:55 am

thetwlo wrote:this is ONLY Akemie's Taiko, no other sound source.
Wow! This blows my mind! :w00t: I'm so curious how this is achieved... Great job, btw. Care to shed some light on your process?

PM33AUD
Destroyer of BSP

Post by PM33AUD » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:15 pm

Firstly, I love this modules. Enough so that we've got 2 rigs with 4x of these things. So major props to ALM for making this quirky lil devil!

BUT~!

I am trying to figure out the Wave knob...

I count over 150x unique 'sounds' when I turn the wave dial (and Release 1 isn't full CCW). Tested on the last algorithm.

When I turn down Release 1 fully CCW (which effectively 'turns off' - not really but they're so short they're just blips - some of the feeding modulators), I count 8 'major' different sounds.

What I'm guessing is happening is there is a carry-over increment count of some base across the 4 operator's waveforms. The 8 major ones I hear are probably the waves on the 'output' operator.

But the manual says 64. :sadbanana:

Trying to get this figured out! Anybody experience this or have insight into why I'm finding a ton more 'waves' under that dial than 64?

The reason this is a thing for us is that we want to be able to more accurately dial in a particular sound with the AT because we love them so much. I've already done some modifications on the module - adding an LM4040 reference for the Wave and Ratio pot supplies (so they're the same on ever power up) and replace the wave dial with a 3.75 turn cermet pot.

So while it's much easier to set Wave now and it more or less powers up in the same state, under external, sequenced voltage control, the Wave CV is still very loose - and this is mostly due to the fact that if there really are something like 150+ 'waves' or really, wave combinations across the operators, then the threshold resolution is only something like 50mV or so. And that is *really* tough to set with any manual control and, for us, we are using MIDI CC to CV so our 7 bit resolution only gives us a resolution of 78mV - so some of them on the 'number lines' land very close to one another and even small amounts of noise or ADC reference variations (which may (?!) be referenced to the 5V regulator with tolerances of 5% or so) leave us with a very difficult to set module.

So to continue our efforts to get 4 of these Akemie's repeatable in a basic way, we'd first like to know, really , how many unique wave combinations there really are!

I've an email to ALM as well about this but figured I'd hit it from both sides here.

Thanks in advance! :nana:

osyrus11
Learning to Wiggle

Post by osyrus11 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:21 pm

PM33AUD wrote:I count over 150x unique 'sounds' when I turn the wave dial (and Release 1 isn't full CCW). Tested on the last algorithm.

Ya Pardner,

I tested this 9 tiimes. the results are as follows:
101, 102, 168,167,192,182,187,187,187

I'm gonna go with 187 different wave combinations on the wave dial, damned difficult to tell though as it's so very touchy.
When I tested this I used the second from the leftmost positioned algorithm, as this seems to be a mode where the two operators simply run parallel.
As you mention though, the first operator (i.e. with "release 1" all the way open, "realize 2" all the way closed") yields only 8 variations, so there's something interesting...

bastian23
Common Wiggler

Post by bastian23 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:21 am

bought one today! can't wait to Play with it. thanks for this Topic!

lohacker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by lohacker » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:30 pm

Mine landed today, it's truly amazing! :party:

mikmanner
Common Wiggler

Post by mikmanner » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:21 pm

Is anyone else finding that their Taiko if you repeatedly press a single note going just from a keyboard into the trigger and v/oct - that you get the note you are trying to hit maybe 8 times out of 10, and occasionally are given a different note. Is this anything to do with freq end perhaps?

davidu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by davidu » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:09 pm

mikmanner wrote:Is anyone else finding that their Taiko if you repeatedly press a single note going just from a keyboard into the trigger and v/oct - that you get the note you are trying to hit maybe 8 times out of 10, and occasionally are given a different note. Is this anything to do with freq end perhaps?
Mine acting strange, my AT is jumping on different frequencies but in the key. Can anybody can confirm that everything is ok? All encoders are on max left position, only release 2 is open. Is this behavior normal?
VIDEO>
https://youtu.be/dIhlGzNW3cE

jjh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jjh » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:34 pm

davidu wrote:
mikmanner wrote:Is anyone else finding that their Taiko if you repeatedly press a single note going just from a keyboard into the trigger and v/oct - that you get the note you are trying to hit maybe 8 times out of 10, and occasionally are given a different note. Is this anything to do with freq end perhaps?
Mine acting strange, my AT is jumping on different frequencies but in the key. Can anybody can confirm that everything is ok? All encoders are on max left position, only release 2 is open. Is this behavior normal?
VIDEO>
https://youtu.be/dIhlGzNW3cE
I had similar issues you guys have. Check your PSU capacity and power consumption of your case. My hiccups were apparently related to module setup in case taking power close to 100% of +12V rail capacity.

It seems like AT is particularly sensitive to sufficient power. It is also addressed in the manual with this fairly innocent looking sentence:

"A high quality power supply with plenty of headroom is also recommended"

davidu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by davidu » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:18 pm

I had similar issues you guys have. Check your PSU capacity and power consumption of your case. My hiccups were apparently related to module setup in case taking power close to 100% of +12V rail capacity.

It seems like AT is particularly sensitive to sufficient power. It is also addressed in the manual with this fairly innocent looking sentence:

"A high quality power supply with plenty of headroom is also recommended"
YES!!!!! :) everything is fine now.
all modules in lower side of case should use around 1000mA and max capacity of my PSU (A-100 DIY Kit #1) should be 1200mA...
i moved it to ather side of case and another PSU theat is not so much used and everything is working fine now :)

BIG THANKS :tu:[/quote]

ookrsia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ookrsia » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:30 am

I just ordered my third(!) Doepfer DIY set just so I can give my new Akemie's Taiko enough juice. I realized ordering a Doepfer PSU separately costs the same as just buying the full DIY set.

On the PSU I'm currently using with Akemie's Taiko the modules are officially (based on Modulargrid) using 1000mA out of 1200mA, but just like someone else here mentioned: my Akemie's Taiko won't stay on pitch. This is fixed when I detach one power hungry module.

I wonder how much Akemie's Taiko really needs to run properly, or is it that there just needs to be enought headroom?

Bobbyr77
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bobbyr77 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:13 am

[video][/video]

I posted an overview vid on this module. I know its been around for a while but maybe someone will find it useful

Im a newb (to muffs,Euro and Youtube) so.....prepared for the hate!

mikmanner
Common Wiggler

Post by mikmanner » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:55 am

Made an audio demo for the Taiko showing off it's melodic capabilities. For sure one of the best modules I have:

[video][/video]

monolithicfungus
Learning to Wiggle

Digging it

Post by monolithicfungus » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:20 pm

@mikmanner love what you've done with your Akemie's. Super fun tool.

I just put it to use in my new rack, trying to achieve more of a wind-chime / triangle sound as a voice. I love this thing! So cool, and wonderfully unpredictable

[video][/video]

mikmanner
Common Wiggler

Post by mikmanner » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:53 am

Doing some sound design and wanted to try out sending audio rate cv through the Taiko, pretty interesting results. I was trying to get very digital sounding 'comms' interference type sounds.

[video][/video]

monolithicfungus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by monolithicfungus » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:46 pm

Nice use case mikmanner. I love the slow glitchy stuff around 0:45. Really cool.

bradpickapiper
Common Wiggler

Post by bradpickapiper » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:00 am

These videos are awesome! Keep em coming
Just ordered one and I’m stoked!

mackster
Common Wiggler

Post by mackster » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:15 am

Has anyone managed to get consistent and repeatable sounds out of this module, and if so any tips?

I’ve had mine for over a year and like it a lot, but find that it’s too unpredictable for using live. It’s great to get random noises out of, but that’s not what I need.

Otherwise I guess it’ll have to go...

Cheers

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:43 am

mackster wrote:Has anyone managed to get consistent and repeatable sounds out of this module, and if so any tips?

I’ve had mine for over a year and like it a lot, but find that it’s too unpredictable for using live. It’s great to get random noises out of, but that’s not what I need.

Otherwise I guess it’ll have to go...

Cheers
yeah, I use mine a lot for those "standard" 2-OP 1>2 bass/perc sounds with one of the lower algos and sine waves. anything else is random fiddling until i like it.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”