Jason Lim (ex-qu-bit) has a nice new project

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:47 am

Ty wrote:Love it. :yay: Sounds great and layed out nicely! I might get rid of my 3 current oscs for this one. Any guesses to the HP on that. :hmm:
I am going to guess it is 30-32hp.

Still need to watch the video, but would love specs on this thing. Man, it is excellent looking.

in_sherman
Common Wiggler

Post by in_sherman » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:11 pm

mildheadwound wrote:why the large coarse knob and small fine tune? To me, it should be the other way around. You only adjust the coarse tuning once, and then continuously fiddle with the fine tune.
Yes! I'm constantly frustrated with having to impart nano changes to tiny fine knobs in order to tune everything together.

I think visually a large coarse knob looks like it make sense, but functionally having a large fine one is more important. I think I can switch the knobs on my oscs though, thankfully

sromanel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sromanel » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:27 pm

TrondC wrote:oooh, the looks!

Cut it horizontally in three and you have a fine little 1U osc too (that I know many have been wanting!)

Is that a DIY/alternative version of the Octone sequencer I spot there?

EDIT: Forgot that the Octone was made by Qu-Bit, so I guess that's my answer right there ;)
Shit I was about to buy a couple Octones but if that's (presumably) a DIY alternative I guess I'll wait

Prescient Punk
Common Wiggler

Post by Prescient Punk » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:09 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Prescient Punk wrote:A smaller knob makes more sense for fine tune. The larger the knob the faster it will increase or decrease in frequency as you turn it, same as tires for your car. the larger the tire the better gas mileage. The engine uses the same amount of gas for one repetition, but one repetition has a larger circumference, therefore, more miles.

This... just occurring to me...

Cheers :guinness:
No it's the other way around. As the radius increases the angular velocity decreases.

To put it another way as the radius gets smaller the angle of rotation gets larger for the same distance covered.

Well that certainly makes more sense. Thank you for the clarification. It seems I may have spoken a bit hastily and uninformed. :oops:

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:17 am

Best eurorack module demo video I've seen in a while IMO 8-)

Really looking forward to this one!

pinMode
Learning to Wiggle

an introduction

Post by pinMode » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:54 am

Hi Everybody,

Jason / Instruo / [previously Qu-Bit] here.
Probably time I formally introduce myself! I’ve been slightly overwhelmed since launching the troika video!

First off, thank you all for the positive response to the module and video. I ultimately built it for myself and have had the idea for a video series for a while. I didn’t really consider the next step after publishing it and it seems there is some interest in the troika beyond just the video!

The module in the video is literally the only one in existence at the moment, but after reading all the comments here and on youtube and reddit.. I am now in some discussions and am prepping to bringing out a production version!

One thing to bear in mind: I don’t think the brass plate aesthetic will make it to the market version, it’s not at all practical for production cost efficiency. Shipping costs would also be mad, brass is really f’in heavy! My rig is getting less and less portable as I install new prototypes! (yep! more modules to come)
If people are interested in having the steam-punk look, I’m planning to do brass plates myself small scale at home (although I may need a CNC upgrade). I guess this will be a custom shop option, I can do tweaks and mods as well if anyone has particular needs 8-)

Here is a run down of the specs:
• All the oscillators are a purely analogue saw core design
• The crossfaders give a variety of mixes between the waveforms, between the three oscillators.
• Osc 3 has PWM with CV
• Linear FM with attenuator and phase sync inputs on all the oscs
• toggles for cascading the 1V/oct inputs to the lower jack's normalled connection
• Individual outputs as well as a mix output with level for each osc amplitude
• 32HP
• current draw… not sure exactly, but it’s an efficient circuit I’ll be surprised if it passed 100mA +12 and ~70mA -12

I am extremely happy with the 1V/oct tracking consistency and stability between the three oscillators! I really took my time calibrating them all together and because of the consistency of the matched transistor pairs between the circuits, they all track beautifully together.

A suggestion brought up by mildheadwound caught my attention:
Having the coarse and fine knob roles switched, so the fine has the bigger radius for frequency control.
I honestly have never thought about that! Makes total sense to me, I think I just got use to big coarse little fine and stuck with it.
Would it be worth taking a poll or something to see what is the preferred setup?
I’ve since added a solder pad jumper to the PCB design for the production version which will allow users to perform a simple mod to switch the controls round. Seems like the most diplomatic approach.
I’ll still need to decide what the default configuration is.

To TrondC, good eye!
That is indeed an octone, not a DIY version (although most of my rig is built by hand).
It’s just funny looking with pink buttons and violet LED’s. Gotta have that consistent aesthetic yo!
I designed the octone, learned a lot from it and am planning a sequencer as an Instruō future built.
Any requests of suggestions for features most welcome! I’m considering doing a video tutorial series documenting the whole module as I design it.

Now, on the topic of Qu-Bit… as some have already worked out I am no longer affiliated with them.
I was one of the two co-founders and have possibly met many of you during our journey as the company grew.
You noise fanatics all helped get me to where I am now!
I designed all the Qu-Bit, and 2hp hardware up until the recent Wave and Chord modules.
I developed the prototype Chord that I showed off at NAMM last January, it was 4 analogue oscillators with wave shaping, VCAs etc. I’m still very proud of this version of the module and its response in January.
Qu-Bit seem to be leaning towards a more commercial approach with design. Creatively, I prefer this weirder more artistic direction.

Instruō started out life as an EP I’ve been working on, the track in the troika video (also titled troika) is from this EP and uses the module which I engraved with “Instruō” not really thinking it beyond the video!
In any case, I’m feeling inspired now and am going to get back to designing some synths!

If anyone has any requests for a module type they’d like to see design videos of, please hit me up!
I’ll hint at this, I have a transistor ladder LPF on the way which is a nice match for the troika.

Thank you all!
Jason || Instruõ

Bamboombaps
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bamboombaps » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:56 pm

:champagne:

Ty
Common Wiggler

Post by Ty » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:18 am

I think we talked at NAMM. :hmm:

Yes, you are correct. You will be making these for other folks to share your awesome work and yes you will make some available in brass! :hihi:

I honestly thought it was a product demo of something to come and after watching (listening) to the video (best product vid eva!) I went to Modular Grid to figure out what to sell and move to make room for it. :bananaguitar:

Sorry, too late, I already mapped it out in Modular Grid. Now you HAVE to make them. :hihi:

Seriously, awesome work. Looking forward to what else you got going on!

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:52 pm

Jason just sent me this clip and I have to pimp it out after watching! :hail:

brianobush
Common Wiggler

Post by brianobush » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:38 pm

Lovely work, keep it up. The variety of manufacturers in Eurorack is truly amazing.

Roy72
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Roy72 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:59 am

Can we have the thread retitled to Instruõ Troika so it's easy to find? Interesting triple Osc.

dash80
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dash80 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:59 pm

Damn, that is one pretty looking beast of a module.

Also curious about pricing...guess an email is in order.

Well done, Jason!
✦ you're my favorite, but we're phasing //

Roy72
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Roy72 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:19 pm

Is there any chance of cv over the waveforms, like on an expander or something?

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:56 am

Just got the production version of the Instruo TROIKA in stock if anyone likes the look of it? (I certainly did....:sb: )

http://matttechmodular.co.uk/product/troika/

pinMode
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pinMode » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:55 am

Thanks Matt!

The production troika is the same exact same circuit from the custom shop brass-panel builds, but uses PCB mount toggle switches and plastic knobs instead of aluminium.
The aluminium faceplate also keeps the price and weight down!

www.instruo.media

Return to “Eurorack Modules”