SSF Entity

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

honeysmack
Common Wiggler

Post by honeysmack » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:07 am

base615 wrote:
I did the calibration last night. The difference is massive.

Prior to the change you didn't really hear much adjustment from the saturation pot. You definitely do after. If you don't hear much from that pot then it sounds like it needs the calibration.

I really liked the module before but I struggled to make a kick as devastating as the one I created last night after the calibration.
Did the calibration again for the Saturation, seems to be a little more obvious now. Although the pot is seemingly sitting at 4/5 o'clock rather than the 3 o'clock as suggested. Scared to push the pot further!

base615
Common Wiggler

Post by base615 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:34 am

honeysmack wrote:
base615 wrote:

Prior to the change you didn't really hear much adjustment from the saturation pot. You definitely do after. If you don't hear much from that pot then it sounds like it needs the calibration.

I really liked the module before but I struggled to make a kick as devastating as the one I created last night after the calibration.
Did the calibration again for the Saturation, seems to be a little more obvious now. Although the pot is seemingly sitting at 4/5 o'clock rather than the 3 o'clock as suggested. Scared to push the pot further!
I'm sitting in the exact positions recommended. Sounds weird that you're not getting anything with it adjusted even further.

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:43 pm

honeysmack wrote:
base615 wrote:

Going any further is harmless but unnecessary. You will just be pushing up the noise floor for only very minimal increase in saturation.

Increasing lvl beyond the recommended setting will increase gain and also hard clipping, at the expense of increased noise floor.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:54 pm

I just decided to re-touch the |SAT| setting and I see a behaviour that I do not recognise: turning the ring to max sees a permanent ring noise...Even with the Sat and Lvl turned to min settings. Is this normal?

(I imagine it is normal and it just me going a little mad)
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:47 am

I decided to take out my Entity BDS and take a look at the trimmers because I too felt the saturation was a bit weak since I got mine. Lo and behold, I was one of the folks that got a module that was not properly calibrated. I loved how it sounded prior to the calibration, but now it screams.

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:39 am

Multi Grooves wrote:I just decided to re-touch the |SAT| setting and I see a behaviour that I do not recognise: turning the ring to max sees a permanent ring noise...Even with the Sat and Lvl turned to min settings. Is this normal?

Totally normal and unrelated to level and saturation.

RING is the same as the resonance control of a vcf. turning it all the way up casues self oscillation and the module is designed to work that way.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:24 pm

analogPedagog wrote:
Multi Grooves wrote:I just decided to re-touch the |SAT| setting and I see a behaviour that I do not recognise: turning the ring to max sees a permanent ring noise...Even with the Sat and Lvl turned to min settings. Is this normal?

Totally normal and unrelated to level and saturation.

RING is the same as the resonance control of a vcf. turning it all the way up casues self oscillation and the module is designed to work that way.
Exactly what threw me so bad...It didn't go away with lvl adjustment, just the volume that dropped. I do not remember the resonance streaming like this before I did the initial touch ups...
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

Midiot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Midiot » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:13 pm

Got this from Analogue Haven today, "new".
Not ver. 1.41

So, this the first version ?
(edit, I see 1.3 in the corner of the PCB)

Last edited by Midiot on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We'll be living in all the oceans now."
(type of music I make.... drone atmospheres, deep late-night beats.)

spacezignul
Common Wiggler

Post by spacezignul » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:05 am

Can someone post a picture of the trimmers in their optimal position. I'm having problems with the envelope setting

Initially the module was not responding to the envelope at all, neither for FM nor Output but I have now adjusted the ENV trimmer slightly and it starts to have an effect but I'd like to know what its ideal position is please

thanks

p.s. mine is version 1.3 btw

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:58 am

Hey there, is anyone else getting bleed when using the FM input? Basically, even if the module is not being triggered I can hear the FM modulator VCO at the output..

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:38 pm

dysonant wrote:Hey there, is anyone else getting bleed when using the FM input? Basically, even if the module is not being triggered I can hear the FM modulator VCO at the output..
It is normal - the circuit is always a bit resonant so you are hearing that frequency being modulated. I suggest switching in the envelope or patching an external CV if you want to get rid of any residual FM effects when making fast percussion noises. That will keep the output silent between triggers.

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:03 am

analogPedagog wrote:
dysonant wrote:Hey there, is anyone else getting bleed when using the FM input? Basically, even if the module is not being triggered I can hear the FM modulator VCO at the output..
It is normal - the circuit is always a bit resonant so you are hearing that frequency being modulated. I suggest switching in the envelope or patching an external CV if you want to get rid of any residual FM effects when making fast percussion noises. That will keep the output silent between triggers.
OK, cool. This makes sense. Thanks for confirming and the suggestion.

liquidsn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by liquidsn » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:52 pm

Does anyone who use the DUCK output feels like its really harsh? I have to keep the decay knob at noon to 1o'clock to be useful. below noon it doesn't duck, and pass 1o'clock its takes the envelope forever to go back up.

Am I missing something here?

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:50 am

liquidsn wrote:Does anyone who use the DUCK output feels like its really harsh? I have to keep the decay knob at noon to 1o'clock to be useful. below noon it doesn't duck, and pass 1o'clock its takes the envelope forever to go back up.

Am I missing something here?
It is just an inversion of the envelope, so its time is dependent on the ENV controls. I agree that generally for kick settings it is not very useful as a side chain if you want to use it to duck some other signal because it is often too fast. What I generally do in this situation is use it as a gate or trigger for another inverted envelope and then I can set that envelope to taste.

danfastlikeflan
Common Wiggler

Post by danfastlikeflan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:11 pm

Any chance we will see an updated faceplate for the bass drum too?

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: SSF Entity

Post by lisa » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:34 am

I’m so pleased with the Entity Percussion that I decided to get this one too. I’m hoping it will provide loooong 808-style kicks among a thousand other sounds.
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece using Instruō harmonàig and Cš-L. 🐡

señor-bling
Common Wiggler

Post by señor-bling » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:39 am

lisa wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:34 am
I’m so pleased with the Entity Percussion that I decided to get this one too. I’m hoping it will provide loooong 808-style kicks among a thousand other sounds.
Same here. Initially I wasn't even interested in a bass drum module at all. But the Percussion has just such an amazing range of sounds. When I saw the Entity Bass on offer, I decided to get it as well. So glad I did. Compared to the Percussion I find its strictly percussive sweet spots a little fewer, but still… totally worth it, because kicks happen to be just one of many things it does well. My favourite voice modules at the moment. These two are sort of like the posh cousins of the NE BIA and MI.
don't fold the wave you're riding on

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:14 pm

I got the Bastl Tea Kick and hoped it would satisfy my kick needs but I hate it! So now the Entity will fill that void and I’ll try to use the Tea Kick for tasks other than kicks.
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece using Instruō harmonàig and Cš-L. 🐡

persimmon_albatross
Learning to Wiggle

Post by persimmon_albatross » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:57 pm

lisa wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:14 pm
I got the Bastl Tea Kick and hoped it would satisfy my kick needs but I hate it! So now the Entity will fill that void and I’ll try to use the Tea Kick for tasks other than kicks.
Oooo how come you didnt like the tea kick?
Been on my list for awhile

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:41 am

persimmon_albatross wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:57 pm
lisa wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:14 pm
Oooo how come you didnt like the tea kick?
Been on my list for awhile
Well, I don’t like the sound of it. As a kick anyway. I dislike kicks with clicks. When I try to use the Tea Kick I turn the click way down and I still want to run it through a lowpass filter to get rid of the remaining tick. I like the sound of the Tea Kick better when I control it with an envelope. But when I try to do really low 808 style kicks it lacks presence.

gegeartist
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gegeartist » Fri May 01, 2020 12:03 am

Ssf entity bass drum is good. A drum module with a oscillator you can also get a acid voice. Great 👍

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:55 pm

I saw the BD listed on Modular grid with a black panel in the new modules. Is it going back in production?

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:13 pm

I just got one of those with the gorgeous black panel since it’s apparently the last batch and I’ve always been curious about it. So far very agreeably surprised, it can go really really deep and boomy exactly how I like, and it can also really slam if needed. Haven’t dug further so far but to my taste it’s a very, very good kick. It’s love at first sight contrary to Crater which I though was good... not great.
instagram
soundcloud
dc11 - electron out on Cosmic Wave Records.

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:54 pm

Is it for sure the last batch? He wasn't sure a bit over a month ago, here on MW, this or some other SSF thread.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:38 am

That’s what it said here :

It worked on me at least :)
instagram
soundcloud
dc11 - electron out on Cosmic Wave Records.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”