Doepfer PSU2 vs. PSU3, which one do I need?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Herr Rausch
Common Wiggler

Doepfer PSU2 vs. PSU3, which one do I need?

Post by Herr Rausch » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:35 am

Hi,
when it comes to the technical details of Eurorack world Im still quite a noob.
I wanna buy a Doepfer A-100PB on eBay.
( https://www.thomann.de/de/doepfer_a_100pb.htm )
Instead of the new PSU3 it apparently has the old PSU2. So I understand that the PSU3 is somehow more powerful, but I cant figure out if the less powerful version is enough for me. I guess if people have used it to the day the new one came out it will be ok too?
Why would I need a PSU3? Are there specific modules that are extremelx demanding powerwise?

That is my soon to be rack: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/321154
Currently I use an A-100 DIY PSU, which apparently has the same specs (+/-12V@1200mA) as the PSU2, so I should be ok with that one right?

JackTheFunk
Common Wiggler

Post by JackTheFunk » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:24 am

My PSU2 recently went kaput. I was running just under 1100mA on the +12 rail. May have been down to the wrong fuse being installed when it shipped to me, but I'm not sure. Some people advise only using 80% of your rated power...

Regardless, given that you're already reaching close to the limits of the PSU2 and you have room in your case I'd recommend a case with a more powerful PSU.

I have a PSU3 waiting for me at home to get my Doepfer LC9 case back up and running.

XponentOne
Veteran Wiggler

Post by XponentOne » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:50 am

Psu2 is great for larger hp / lower power modules - an all doepfer rack for e.g. shouldn't hit the limit too quickly... as soon as you get into power hungry lower hp modules (say disting mkii and the ilk) you def need the extra grunt of psu3.

evileye0702
Ultra Wiggler

Post by evileye0702 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:24 am

For that case (6U x 84hp) the PSU2 is usually enough. It's typically when you add a 3rd row and some digital modules that the PSU2 isn't up to the task of a full box.

The best way to know is look at the specs. The PSU2 can handle 1200mA on +12 and on -12. Add up your numbers (better from the manufacturer than modulargrid) and see where you lie. Be careful if you have modules requiring 5V. I cannot remember how that fits into the equation.

Going by the modulargrid numbers you are getting close to the ceiling on the PSU2 (1035mA on +12). You ideally want to leave a little ceiling. I typically try to keep load below 90%. (1080mA in this case).

So, that PSU2 should work just fine for those modules but if you want to add more, you'd probably want a PSU3.

This is one of the drawbacks of adding all those small modules. Yes, their footprint is smaller but they still consume as much power.

Bobby
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bobby » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:32 am

i dont use much digital stuff or valvey metasonix type stuff and the PSU2 seem great to me (got three LC9 cases of Schippmann, Cwejman and Doepfer et al)

Will get some LC3's with PSU3's when i start deviating my rack plans into the digital a bit more though.
Last edited by Bobby on Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

HIMA
Ultra Wiggler

Post by HIMA » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:33 am

I have a Psu2 for sale if u want. Pm me. :sb:
The Book of Bad Ideas - A compendium of knowledge from Muffs. Download it here: http://bit.ly/1oz2zaI

Herr Rausch
Common Wiggler

Post by Herr Rausch » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:41 pm

Thanks a lot for the clarification, seems like the PSU2 is powerful enough for my stuff :tu:
Cheers

wuff_miggler
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Doepfer PSU2 vs. PSU3, which one do I need?

Post by wuff_miggler » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:43 am

rather than create a new thread - seeing as i have a related + auxillary question:

besides the greater ma of the PSU3....do either of these perform bettr than the other when it coms to sound quality?
i cant imagine doepfer creating a psu with poor audio...but im curious as i'd like to pull the trigger on a 9U case asap!

my understanding are the torroidal trannies are better for sound quality...

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:58 am

wuff_miggler wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:43 am
rather than create a new thread - seeing as i have a related + auxillary question:

besides the greater ma of the PSU3....do either of these perform bettr than the other when it coms to sound quality?
i cant imagine doepfer creating a psu with poor audio...but im curious as i'd like to pull the trigger on a 9U case asap!

depends on what you fill it with. i've had a 9u w/ a psu3, filled with doepfer-only modules and its damn near silent in terms of system noise.

wuff_miggler
Ultra Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:03 am

jwm wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:58 am
wuff_miggler wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:43 am

depends on what you fill it with. i've had a 9u w/ a psu3, filled with doepfer-only modules and its damn near silent in terms of system noise.
damn near silent - im hoping means quiet as fuck :P my system plan is actually predominantly doepfer yes. Some Non Linear Circuits, Haible, and Random Source Serge as well.

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:32 am

Personally I'm not thrilled about those Mean Well power blocks used in PSU3. I expect if the older PSU2 not being overloaded will last many years after caps inside the MW has gone bad. Also the PSU2 can be easily repaired 12 year up the road using standard components. Not so for PSU3.

PSU3 had some early reports of modules not starting due to excessive load at power-on.
looking for service manual for the Clavia ddrum AT or ddrum III

wuff_miggler
Ultra Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:36 am

Thanks for sharing StillNotWorking - i always have a preference for torroidal psu in proaudio stuff - guess this should be no diff!

ghughu
1-Post Wiggler

Post by ghughu » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:05 am

Hi there. sorry to hijack this thread
I ve recently replaced a psu2 for a psu3. On powering up all the leds in the modules flash reallly bright for half a second.
any hints?
is this normal on the psu3? because it didnt happen before...
thanks in advance if anyone can help!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”