Ornament + Crime

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2464
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:30 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Ornament + Crime

Post by bemushroomed » Wed May 06, 2020 11:38 pm

how does the saving work on this module, does it save the settings of all the algoritms that you have tweaked / changed to your liking or just the latest one you're on while saving?

pld
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 960
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:15 am
Location: Germany

Re: Ornament + Crime

Post by pld » Thu May 07, 2020 12:46 am

bemushroomed wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:38 pm
how does the saving work on this module, does it save the settings of all the algoritms that you have tweaked / changed to your liking or just the latest one you're on while saving?
From the manual:
Note that the current settings for all apps are saved each time you save the settings, not just the settings for the currently selected app.

User avatar
bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2464
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:30 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Ornament + Crime

Post by bemushroomed » Thu May 07, 2020 2:19 am

pld wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:46 am
bemushroomed wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:38 pm
how does the saving work on this module, does it save the settings of all the algoritms that you have tweaked / changed to your liking or just the latest one you're on while saving?
From the manual:
Note that the current settings for all apps are saved each time you save the settings, not just the settings for the currently selected app.
Great! Thanks.

User avatar
soggybag
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:57 pm
Location: San Francisco

Post by soggybag » Mon May 18, 2020 7:02 pm

Using Piqued is there a setting that waits for the envelope to finish before an input will trigger it again?

User avatar
synonymist
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:11 pm
Contact:

Re:

Post by synonymist » Mon May 18, 2020 9:05 pm

soggybag wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:02 pm
Using Piqued is there a setting that waits for the envelope to finish before an input will trigger it again?
Hello. Try the "Attack reset", "Att fall gt", and "DecRel reset" settings:

https://ornament-and-cri.me/user-manual ... hor-piqued

User avatar
soggybag
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:57 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Ornament + Crime

Post by soggybag » Tue May 19, 2020 1:02 pm

Thanks I figured it out you need to have both the att reset and dec reset on none.

I can totally see where people are turned off by menus that said this is still one of my favorite modules of all time it’s so flexible. I have two and I’m usually using both! You need an envelope it has four, sequencer, quantizer it’s all in there.

On a side note I got both of mine used one is an 8hp model the other is 14hp. The 8hp has the menus and knobs backwards compared to the other. Is there left handed Australian setting?

User avatar
what gives?
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:35 am

Re: Ornament + Crime

Post by what gives? » Sun May 31, 2020 8:02 am

I've written a bit of sequencer code on the arduino platform before, and right now i'm looking into the possibility of porting some of the stuff i created to an O+C module. Therefore i'd like to ask someone about details of the build... Is there a dedicated forum for the coding stuff, or could someone be nice and help me out with a few pointers to get me going?

pld
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 960
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:15 am
Location: Germany

Re: Ornament + Crime

Post by pld » Sun May 31, 2020 11:36 am

what gives? wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:02 am
Is there a dedicated forum for the coding stuff, or could someone be nice and help me out with a few pointers to get me going?
No, there's never really been a particular forum for coding. The ad hoc app interface isn't great and it wasn't really intended for long-term or community development, but it's not super complex either so mostly it's figure-it-out-by-yourself. The reference app was initially a reasonable starting point but even that got infected with feature creep :) I mostly don't mind answering questions about interna if I have time and chysn (of hemispheres) did a few blog posts which might help.

User avatar
what gives?
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:35 am

Re: Ornament + Crime

Post by what gives? » Sun May 31, 2020 12:48 pm

Thanks for a quick reply!

Essentially (as you may have i guessed), i am looking for a bare minimum infrastructure code, if possible. Ideally, if one could pinpoint and retain the essential libraries/classes/et c needed for a blank slate, then that would provide a great platform to build on. Even though the existing apps are very cool, i'm looking for the code that deals with I/O (display, buttons and patch points) and clock/timing duties (Not sure if i need something more than that). Building on this i hope i will be able to overbridge my existing code to the O&C hardware.

I have glanced over the excellent blog tutorials for hemispheres, and the github resources, but haven't yet looked into the details in the specific code yet.

I realize the answer probably is more complex than my question suggests, but i figured i'd ask and look into the code/blogs at the same time...

pld
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 960
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:15 am
Location: Germany

Re: Ornament + Crime

Post by pld » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:06 am

what gives? wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:48 pm
Essentially (as you may have i guessed), i am looking for a bare minimum infrastructure code, if possible. Ideally, if one could pinpoint and retain the essential libraries/classes/et c needed for a blank slate, then that would provide a great platform to build on. Even though the existing apps are very cool, i'm looking for the code that deals with I/O (display, buttons and patch points) and clock/timing duties (Not sure if i need something more than that). Building on this i hope i will be able to overbridge my existing code to the O&C hardware.
Your best bet might still be to just implement an app and possibly throw out all the existing ones. Or you can try to replace all the OC::apps "stuff" in o_c_REV.ino, but there are some dark corners like settings storage and dependencies like Ui::DispatchEvents. A lot of the code evolved from some throw-away tests, then feature creeped hard, took some unexpected twists, so the layers of abstraction sometimes aren't :)

I started a major refactoring of the app, app<>IO, and storage interface at some point, but can't justifying spending enough time on it to fix up all the apps (although it still occasionally irks me). For a more tabula rasa platform personally I'd just start over :razz:

User avatar
what gives?
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:35 am

Re: Ornament + Crime

Post by what gives? » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:47 am

I appreciate your feedback, it helps to know my options and how to approach this. It seems like it's one of those start-digging-where-I'm-standing type of situation. I'll look into it, as well as checking in for updates!

KitKatAndy
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:10 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Ornament + Crime

Post by KitKatAndy » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:36 am

Hello everyone,
finished to built an O&C and checked all the apps. Now I like to switch to hemisphere to check it out. But I couldn´t find anything about saving the original firmwares parameters outside the O&C to restore later if I like to reload it. Is this possible?

pld
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 960
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:15 am
Location: Germany

Re: Ornament + Crime

Post by pld » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:07 am

KitKatAndy wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:36 am
Hello everyone,
finished to built an O&C and checked all the apps. Now I like to switch to hemisphere to check it out. But I couldn´t find anything about saving the original firmwares parameters outside the O&C to restore later if I like to reload it. Is this possible?
IIRC Hemisphere had a way to do that via sysex, but you'd have to check the documentation.

KitKatAndy
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:10 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Ornament + Crime

Post by KitKatAndy » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:38 pm

Thanks! On Hemisphere I already found it, but the original O&C firmware seems not to offer this...

pld
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 960
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:15 am
Location: Germany

Re: Ornament + Crime

Post by pld » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:52 am

KitKatAndy wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:38 pm
Thanks! On Hemisphere I already found it, but the original O&C firmware seems not to offer this...
No, it doesn't. I think the Hemispheres one just reads/writes the raw data.

KitKatAndy
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:10 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Ornament + Crime

Post by KitKatAndy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:19 pm


lleicamun
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 02, 2020 5:01 am

Re: Ornament + Crime

Post by lleicamun » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:33 am

Hey people, seems i have the same freeze/lock up issue discussed here in this topic ,around page 65 and further, linked to 1.3.3 OC firmware and 1.35 teensy loader version ..
This happens to me with 1.3.5/1.3.6 OC firmware and 1.48 teensy loader version.

Actually this happened to me with two different uOC modules, the guy who built it for me these two OC actually changed the first one with a second uOC, after i told him about the freeze issue, but eventually happened with the second OC it gave me as well ..

What i'm missing?
Thanks!

pld
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 960
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:15 am
Location: Germany

Re: Ornament + Crime

Post by pld » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:58 am

lleicamun wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:33 am
Hey people, seems i have the same freeze/lock up issue discussed here in this topic ,around page 65 and further, linked to 1.3.3 OC firmware and 1.35 teensy loader version ..
This happens to me with 1.3.5/1.3.6 OC firmware and 1.48 teensy loader version.

Actually this happened to me with two different uOC modules, the guy who built it for me these two OC actually changed the first one with a second uOC, after i told him about the freeze issue, but eventually happened with the second OC it gave me as well ..

What i'm missing?
Thanks!
By freeze/lock up you mean the screen becomes corrupted?
IIRC 1.3.5 used a newer build environment that exacerbates the problem. 1.3.6 was considered stable since the glitch was "rare" (e.g. I never saw it during development). The version of the loader should be irrelevant, it's the compiler used for the .hex that mattered. As a fallback 1.3.4 might work, but the actual underlying issue has a fix in this branch (which means it should work when compiled with newer Arduino/Teensy versions (e.g. on Catalina)).

It just hasn't made its way into an upstream release since it effectively means every single feature also has to be tested.

lleicamun
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 02, 2020 5:01 am

Re: Ornament + Crime

Post by lleicamun » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:37 am

pld wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:58 am
lleicamun wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:33 am
Hey people, seems i have the same freeze/lock up issue discussed here in this topic ,around page 65 and further, linked to 1.3.3 OC firmware and 1.35 teensy loader version ..
This happens to me with 1.3.5/1.3.6 OC firmware and 1.48 teensy loader version.

Actually this happened to me with two different uOC modules, the guy who built it for me these two OC actually changed the first one with a second uOC, after i told him about the freeze issue, but eventually happened with the second OC it gave me as well ..

What i'm missing?
Thanks!
By freeze/lock up you mean the screen becomes corrupted?
IIRC 1.3.5 used a newer build environment that exacerbates the problem. 1.3.6 was considered stable since the glitch was "rare" (e.g. I never saw it during development). The version of the loader should be irrelevant, it's the compiler used for the .hex that mattered. As a fallback 1.3.4 might work, but the actual underlying issue has a fix in this branch (which means it should work when compiled with newer Arduino/Teensy versions (e.g. on Catalina)).

It just hasn't made its way into an upstream release since it effectively means every single feature also has to be tested.
Thanks for the reply,
by freeze/lock up i mean the module stops on a certain visual frame and some other times instead the visuals become a kind of pixel "work of art", in both cases the module doesn't responds no more to encoders/buttons, so i have to power down/up the case to restart and use OC again.
A couple of time, the display glitched continuosly and eventually freezed after i lil bit.
With the module i own now it happens only with Quadraturia 99% i use it, now are 3 days that nothing happens :confused:
but with the OC i owned before it happened with more than one app ..

I'm totally ignorant about teensy and about coding world in general :despair: , there is something i can do alone with the compiler at the link you kindly gave me, or not?

thank you a lot!

pld
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 960
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:15 am
Location: Germany

Re: Ornament + Crime

Post by pld » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:40 am

lleicamun wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:37 am
With the module i own now it happens only with Quadraturia 99% i use it, now are 3 days that nothing happens :confused:
but with the OC i owned before it happened with more than one app ..
Unfortunately, the behaviour seems to be quite unpredictable; I'd never seen it "live" but a few seemed to have it fairly consistently.
That might mean there's something else at play but :hmm:
I'm totally ignorant about teensy and about coding world in general :despair: , there is something i can do alone with the compiler at the link you kindly gave me, or not?
Yes, you can check out that branch and build the code with Arduino + Teensyduino to upload your own firmware.

User avatar
soggybag
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:57 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Ornament + Crime

Post by soggybag » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:26 pm

Quick question about Turing machine. I’m wrapping my head around how this works. Im looking to fill in my gaps as to how this works, this is how I understand it at the moment.

Turning machine is represented by a number of bits, 2 to 32, that represent a binary number. This number of mapped to a quantized scale value. The bits are shifted to the right with each clock cycle which generates a new number. There is a probability that the bit on the far right flips from 0 to 1 or 1 to 0 with each cycle.

For example (assume no bits are randomized) if we had three bits:

- 001 (1)
- 100 (4)
- 010 (2)

The values are mapped to the quantized scale. Value generated here is determined by the range, which represents the span of available notes to choose from.

The selected note might also be modified modulus setting. Here the Value is wrapped at the whole number remainder.

Question: The range, number of bits, and modulus work together to determine the actual range of notes output by Turing machine?

pld
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 960
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:15 am
Location: Germany

Re: Ornament + Crime

Post by pld » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:19 am

I'm pretty sure I wrote an explanation of that here somewhere already...
Generally, the way it works is (pseudo-codey, see here for original)

Code: Select all

index = (register / 2**register_length * range) % modulus
output value = quantizer.lookup(64 + range/2 - index + transpose) + octave // 64 = middle of available notes, actual code uses root as well
So the potential range is determined by range and limited by modulus, and not really by the register length.
But you can end up with a register that generates a set of notes that don't utilize the full range, if that's what you mean.

One detail is that when the register length is > 8, it still only uses the lowest byte and / 256. And it's all integer math, so truncated.

User avatar
Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6808
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 am
Location: Captain Of Outer Space

Re: Ornament + Crime

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:24 am

zerodivide wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:39 pm
Any chance anybody can make a 1u version of O_C that's similarly priced as the normal ones? Don't think I need the new options that Plum Audio is offering. $350 for an O_C is a bit tough to justify. I think there would be a healthy market for a 1u version in the $250 range.
Damn ... I'd like the O_C in 1U ... yum! ... in fact I'd probably like THREE of the O_C in 1U a lot better! And I would LOVE three 1U O_Cs at more like $200 each. (I'll design the panels).

:rock:
You mean this place has hot chicks, morning drinking, and free vomit? ... I'm all in!
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward

User avatar
soggybag
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:57 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Ornament + Crime

Post by soggybag » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:57 pm

I have a question about Quadraturia. Playing with the wave shape setting I have a hard time getting a sine wave without a stitch at the end. Is there a setting that will allow this?

Seems like all of the waves are in a table. Seems like there should be a setting where the window aligns with each of the waves? Or is there another setting that determines how wide the “window” is into the table?

pld
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 960
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:15 am
Location: Germany

Re: Ornament + Crime

Post by pld » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:45 am

soggybag wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:57 pm
I have a question about Quadraturia. Playing with the wave shape setting I have a hard time getting a sine wave without a stitch at the end. Is there a setting that will allow this?

Seems like all of the waves are in a table. Seems like there should be a setting where the window aligns with each of the waves? Or is there another setting that determines how wide the “window” is into the table?
Beats me. I vaguely remember there being no interpolation anyway, but there was so much added on to the original (simple) code that it's hard to tell if there might have been side effects or the usual off-by-one somewhere. Your best bet is probably the original frequency range and mult though (cosm + unity?)

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”